Formula 1 2021

wood

I was just looking through the current Alfa Romeo models, and really I don't love any of them.  When did they become so grandma-like?

The 4C Spider is okay, it's about the only one that appeals to me and even then, there are a lot of the more exotic cars that I like a lot better.

Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 33 Stradale Tributo – inspired by a legendary  sportscar | VirusCars

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I was just looking through the current Alfa Romeo models, and really I don't love any of them.  When did they become so grandma-like?

The 4C Spider is okay, it's about the only one that appeals to me and even then, there are a lot of the more exotic cars that I like a lot better.

Alfa Romeo 4C Spider 33 Stradale Tributo – inspired by a legendary  sportscar | VirusCars

Yeah, they’ve really fallen behind. I’m a little surprised they re-upped their sponsorship with Sauber, because they’re not doing well as a company and they don’t have a ton to offer in terms of luxury cars. 

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Gonna go drive for Michael Andretti like I said...

Do you really think he’d buy Sauber? The wage and hour restrictions in Switzerland are very strict so everything is more difficult for them. I could see Andretti purchasing a controlling stake in Williams from Dorilton down the road. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Do you really think he’d buy Sauber? The wage and hour restrictions in Switzerland are very strict so everything is more difficult for them. I could see Andretti purchasing a controlling stake in Williams from Dorilton down the road. 

Maybe he'd buy Sauber and then relocate it to Indianapolis... :)

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, they’ve really fallen behind. I’m a little surprised they re-upped their sponsorship with Sauber, because they’re not doing well as a company and they don’t have a ton to offer in terms of luxury cars. 

Yep.

I was told it's in the works, and that the reason it's Sauber & not Williams is the relationship between Michael and Finn Rausing (Longbow. Sauber owners).

Put it this way: If it doesn't happen, it won't be for a lack of trying. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

100% agree. I rate Piastri, though I think he’d need a few years of seasoning.

Kind of unfortunate Alpine don’t have a customer team so they might not be able to get Piastri up to F1. Having De Vries or some other low ceiling guy in F1 while Piastri is stuck out will piss me off. Getting to watch future elite drivers in their rookie years at midfield teams is a lot of fun. Leclerc in 2018 had some great moments. Same for Lando in 19 and the highlights make it seem like Max in 2015 was the same. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, faps said:

You had a good run, Kimi. He was a beast in 2005, too bad the car was made of glass.

I assume the other announcements start hitting hard and fast no?

I keep reading that the plan is to announce Bottas to Sauber at Monza, & that's what the wait is for.

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah Albon is what I've heard the most. 

If I were them, I’d rather see what I can get from Alpine to give Piastri the spot. I’m also a little surprised they weren’t more interested in possibly replacing Latifi with Zhou who comes with backing and will give whatever team he’s on a large Chinese fan increase. 

Albon is solid, but there’s not much ceiling there IMO. A lineup of Albon and Latifi is probably the second worst in the grid besides Haas. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Mick is a Ferrari Junior driver, right? Would Alfa be a step up for him or would the Scuderia keep him at Haas another year?

He is, but Ferrari no longer control Alfa’s second seat so he’s staying with Haas, who may make a sizable jump for 22 since they’ve been given a lot of Ferrari personnel due to the budget cap. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

Who’s excited for Monaco on the Dunes this weekend? Better not qualifying this week. Might be the only action we get.

Losing out on a great race like Spa coming right after the summer break with this one being next was a real kick in the balls. At least we have Monza soon. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

There’s not as many moves this year, but the teams are doing their best to give us a real silly season.  
Horner is now saying Mercedes may force De Vries into the Williams spot over Albon since they’re Williams’ engine supplier.

Still unconfirmed what will happen to Gio or if Albon could take the second Alfa seat if Williams doesn’t happen. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

9 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I think Gio might end up in the Ferrari LMDh.

He’s also supposed to be an extremely feedback driver in the sim because he’s consistent, so I could see Ferrari having him do both. 

It doesn’t really make sense to keep him in an F1 seat. He’s 28 and hasn’t shown signs of being anymore than slightly below average. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s also supposed to be an extremely feedback driver in the sim because he’s consistent, so I could see Ferrari having him do both. 

It doesn’t really make sense to keep him in an F1 seat. He’s 28 and hasn’t shown signs of being anymore than slightly below average. 

I agree. He rarely outperforms his car in qualifying and while he is typically strong on the first lap his race pace isn't fantastic. As cool as it would be to see Albon get that second seat I could see ferrari push Mick to the second Alfa seat (or keep him there to help fund Haas) or Robert Schwartzman gets placed in Alfa because he is the Ferrari Driver. 

Alex probably has a better future in indy car at this point 

this is race no. 1048 in the world championship since its inception in 1950.  this will be kimi's 342nd start.  by the end of the year we'll be on 1057 if all the races on the calendar get run.  assuming all those go off and kimi makes all the starts, kimi will end up 2 starts short of having started exactly 1/3 of all world championship F1 races ever. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1