Formula 1 2021

wood

11 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

holy shit.  all that to finish last.  what a cockgobbler

Yep, and that's just the tip of the iceberg, even though he's only been in F1 for part of a season. Hell, he's already tried to kill Mick multiple times.

Edited by wood

Good video here from Edd Straw explaining what I was alluding to earlier re: Alonso cutting T2 in Sochi.

It's been being allowed for a while, and Alonso has been railing against it, other track limits nonsense, and running people off the road on corner exit ... to no avail. Many people think he's just trying to force the issue by highlighting the stupidity of the interpretation by demonstrating it. Anything that makes it harder for everyone is better for the best drivers, and better for the sport imho.

Nobody should be doing it, but if it's going to continue to be allowed, then I have no problem with Alonso joining the crowd. I hope they change it back to something stricter, but I have ZERO faith in Masi to have even the most tenuous grasp of what's wrong with what he's allowing, just as with track limits, corner exits, etc. He should always only be referred to by the name "Brick" imho.

tumblr_mv8o6iy3lY1qgi05ko1_400.gif

It's weird how this hasn't really been that much of an issue until Alonso started pushing it. At least three other cars went off behind Alonso there on Lap 1, and I haven't seen or heard a single person complain about it or even mention it.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

a cry of hypocrisy is a logical fallacy for a reason. 

Not sure if you're referring to me, but if you are ... I'm not saying the other guys going off behind Alonso justifies anyone going off. I'm just saying it's odd that so many people were up in arms over the move and we haven't seen the same magnitude of uproar when others have done the same, even gaining positions in the process. He's also been trying to get the enforcement changed, too.

29 minutes ago, texas08 said:

Gawd damn it, wasn’t sure if I’d be able to make it to COTA…turns out I can make it but the fucking resale market for Sunday general admission is insane!!!

Looking for 1-2 GA tickets if anyone has a lead or has extras :)))

Yeah it's pretty nuts. I'm only going on Friday for MotoGP & F1 this year. Bought MotoGP today for $7, including fees. F1 Friday is available for $23.

10 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah it's pretty nuts. I'm only going on Friday for MotoGP & F1 this year. Bought MotoGP today for $7, including fees. F1 Friday is available for $23.

Made the mistake of buying Friday only tickets through COTA for face value. Paid about twice as much as what they are going for now.

Question about parking -- by the time I bought tickets, all the parking was sold out. Shuttles look pricey too considering there are three of us. On resale sites I find "Lot Z" but the official COTA maps don't show it. Anyone have tips on Friday parking (will have a small kid in tow). Park at the airport and Uber? $20 trick at Lot F?

34 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Made the mistake of buying Friday only tickets through COTA for face value. Paid about twice as much as what they are going for now.

Question about parking -- by the time I bought tickets, all the parking was sold out. Shuttles look pricey too considering there are three of us. On resale sites I find "Lot Z" but the official COTA maps don't show it. Anyone have tips on Friday parking (will have a small kid in tow). Park at the airport and Uber? $20 trick at Lot F?

I don't know if this link works correctly (I am not a Facebook person). https://www.facebook.com/events/362336798971727/

But I have parked at Danny and Carmen's lot before. It's not a bad walk at all from there.

11 hours ago, texas08 said:

Gawd damn it, wasn’t sure if I’d be able to make it to COTA…turns out I can make it but the fucking resale market for Sunday general admission is insane!!!

Looking for 1-2 GA tickets if anyone has a lead or has extras :)))

I can't believe the Race sold out this year.  It has never sold out before.  I might be flipping my 3 day GA but I was going to try to make a profit in the resale market.  Everyone just got their passes in the mail so the prices should settle out soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

They're going with mobile tickets on our tickets this year.  Ugh, I really hate these things.

For the NASCAR race, the mobile tickets were screwed up and only showed our PSL status on one of the four tix, so they actually tried to deny us entry to the hospitality areas we were entitled to.  All of the sales and ticketing were done by NASCAR's 3rd party vendor and COTA assures me that for F1 they'll get it right, but I have my doubts...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

As of a couple of days ago when I contacted Danny & Carmen's on Facebook, they said they still have Friday for both MotoGP and F1. I went ahead and paid on Venmo. $31 total. Not sure if that price will change though.

They're great, and their lot is directly adjacent to Lot T. About a 5 minute or so walk to the T1 entrance.

45 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They're going with mobile tickets on our tickets this year.  Ugh, I really hate these things.

For the NASCAR race, the mobile tickets were screwed up and only showed our PSL status on one of the four tix, so they actually tried to deny us entry to the hospitality areas we were entitled to.  All of the sales and ticketing were done by NASCAR's 3rd party vendor and COTA assures me that for F1 they'll get it right, but I have my doubts..

Yeah and I found out yesterday that they're charging $16 per ticket for anyone who wants one printed out.

I've already downloaded the Friday MotoGP T15 tickets I paid $7 for, and they show "PSL Tent Access", so there's that.

• Hook 'Em 1

They are minor rumblings that F1 may still host an Austin race along with a Miami race next year.  And then in 2023 though, it's all Miami and Las Vegas street course.  Or so they have told Liberty.

15 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah and I found out yesterday that they're charging $16 per ticket for anyone who wants one printed out.

I've already downloaded the Friday MotoGP T15 tickets I paid $7 for, and they show "PSL Tent Access", so there's that.

Yes, and they're not sending those $16 "souvenir tickets" until after the race.

I hate mobile tickets, I really do.  I've only been forced to use them in the past 6 months or so, never before.  I guess it's a COVID thing?

But so far, I've had problems with them for every single event I've had the displeasure of using them.  NASCAR at COTA, Austin FC games, UT football game entry.  Scanners not working, tickets not appearing correctly, idiots who can't pull up a ticket on a phone clogging up the lines, etc. All just a complete mess in one way or another.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They are minor rumblings that F1 may still host an Austin race along with a Miami race next year.  And then in 2023 though, it's all Miami and Las Vegas street course.  Or so they have told Liberty.

Austin is already on the Calendar for next year, but sometimes with F1 races, ya never know.  It's not as sketchy as it was when Bernie was running the show, but there's still a possibility that a shoestring outfit like Epstein's, could miss a sanctioning fee, and lose a race.

Yeah, my bad.  The rumblings were confirmation of the race in Austin alongside Miami with the understanding that the company that's gonna produce all the Las Vegas stuff which is here in Austin will tacitly help produce the final year at COTA in exchange for preference in Vegas for the long-term deal.  Long-story, European corruption, lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what have yous.

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who is the 'they' in that bold bit? COTA was listed on the provisional schedule that came out, but yeah, with no announcement of a new F1 contract and reports that contract talks have ground to a halt (because of reticence on the state's part to continue subsidizing the race to such a high degree - which I don't really believe), I've been suspecting that COTA is going to be looked at on more of a year to year basis going forward.

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

what the shit it's sold out?

Well, it's "Sold Out" in the sense that for some reason COTA decided to stop selling tickets. They have never come even remotely close to selling out even a quarter of their GA capacity, esp after reducing their Reserved seating capacity so dramatically, thus freeing up even more huge GA areas. I suspect COTA will re-open sales, having magically 'found' more capacity, but who knows.

23 minutes ago, faps said:

Yay, Caesars Palace parking lot track 2.0?

From what I can gather, no, thankfully. FWIW I've been told for a while that there's been a new group moving very quietly behind the scenes to put this together. Not the same group as before.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Replacing purpose-built track races, with parking lot races.  Yay.

I think it'll be an honest to goodness street race. I realize that's not the preferred option in most cases, but it doesn't seem like it'll be a parking lot race.

1 minute ago, wood said:

I think it'll be an honest to goodness street race. I realize that's not the preferred option in most cases, but it doesn't seem like it'll be a parking lot race.

Well Miami is a parking lot for sure.

But beyond that, I don't get excited about street races either.

Monaco is of course an exception, and Azerbaijan has been fun, but there's a long litany of other street races in F1 that have been from below-average to completely-terrible.  And I've only been to Las Vegas a handful of times, but I can't think of much topography or geography, that would make a street race there, particularly interesting.

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well Miami is a parking lot for sure.

But beyond that, I don't get excited about street races either.

Monaco is of course an exception, and Azerbaijan has been fun, but there's a long litany of other street races in F1 that have been from below-average to completely-terrible.  And I've only been to Las Vegas a handful of times, but I can't think of much topography or geography, that would make a street race there, particularly interesting.

Yeah it's flat as hell. There are pros and cons. There have been some iconic street races. I haven't been in a long, long time, but I'll be back there in June for my boys' volleyball nationals. Something remarkable I've always found about street races is that most series can't make them consistently competitive and entertaining, but V8SC absolutely rocks on street circuits. They're actually better on street circuits than real road circuits, imho.

ETA: the absolute worst parking lot race I ever went to was Houston, in the Reliant/Astrodome lot. Bumpy as fuck, and dangerous for everyone involved, including the fans.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah it's flat as hell. There are pros and cons. There have been some iconic street races. I haven't been in a long, long time, but I'll be back there in June for my boys' volleyball nationals. Something remarkable I've always found about street races is that most series can't make them consistently competitive and entertaining, but V8SC absolutely rocks on street circuits. They're actually better on street circuits than real road circuits, imho.

ETA: the absolute worst parking lot race I ever went to was Houston, in the Reliant/Astrodome lot. Bumpy as fuck, and dangerous for everyone involved, including the fans.

I went to the the CART street race in Houston in...1996?  1997?  Somewhere around there.  It was very rainy and was red flagged early, but the only really interesting thing about that course is that it kind of wound around through some downtown* buildings and stuff.  But it was otherwise flat and boring.

* I say downtown because there were some tall(ish) buildings, but I know absolutely nothing about Houston geography so for the Houstonians, I apologize if that race was actually nowhere near downtown.

3 hours ago, wood said:

As of a couple of days ago when I contacted Danny & Carmen's on Facebook, they said they still have Friday for both MotoGP and F1. I went ahead and paid on Venmo. $31 total. Not sure if that price will change though.

They're great, and their lot is directly adjacent to Lot T. About a 5 minute or so walk to the T1 entrance.

Big thanks for the heads up. Just snagged a Friday spot. Had no idea what I was going to do otherwise. COTA sold out official parking and only a $40 per person shuttle running on Friday. 

Now I have to decide if I want to just eat my GA tickets on Friday and re-buy for the main grandstand for about the same amount. Seems like it would be a cool experience for the kid to watch practice and the paddock from the main straight. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Big thanks for the heads up. Just snagged a Friday spot. Had no idea what I was going to do otherwise. COTA sold out official parking and only a $40 per person shuttle running on Friday. 

Now I have to decide if I want to just eat my GA tickets on Friday and re-buy for the main grandstand for about the same amount. Seems like it would be a cool experience for the kid to watch practice and the paddock from the main straight. 

Yeah there are some benefits to being on the Main Straight, like better facilities, good TVs and sound, and a view of the pit lane, the podium, etc. FYI, you can't actually see the Paddock from there. It's behind the Pit Building.

56 minutes ago, wood said:

3-day GA starts at $520 on Tickpick.

Friday-only: $23

Saturday-only: $185

Sunday-only GA: $449

That's ridiculous. Every year I have done upper T15 for like 650 with COTA calling me asking to buy instead of me calling them.  This year when I did think about buying tickets they were already sold out.  I imagine that's more "drive to survive" more than Covid but who knows.  This world is nuts.