Formula 1 2021

wood

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Maybe the 2012 V8s were just that much louder in my memory. 

The Ferrari challenge race was loud as shit during the downshifts at turn 12 from the grandstand. Each gear a shotgun blast. You can also really see the brakes light up slowing for that turn. 

That year it was also where all of the wrecks happened when they couldn’t break in time. 

I have yet to hear the new spec engine so guessing it’s a bit different. 

Oh yeah for sure, those 2012 F1 engines were quite loud.

The current engine formula, not so much.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Maybe the 2012 V8s were just that much louder in my memory. 

The Ferrari challenge race was loud as shit during the downshifts at turn 12 from the grandstand. Each gear a shotgun blast. You can also really see the brakes light up slowing for that turn. 

That year it was also where all of the wrecks happened when they couldn’t break in time. 

I have yet to hear the new spec engine so guessing it’s a bit different. 

They were very loud. Probably still the loudest racing series at that point. Current F1 is one of the quietest series. And yeah, the Ferrari's & Lambos are wayyyy louder than F1 now. Even the Porsches and Astons are loud af in the right engine configs.

The new spec hasn't been announced, but it's looking like they'll do away with the MGU-H, so we could get some of the revs and the music back.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, wood said:

They were very loud. Probably still the loudest racing series at that point. Current F1 is one of the quietest series. And yeah, the Ferrari's & Lambos are wayyyy louder than F1 now. Even the Porsches and Astons are loud af in the right engine configs.

The new spec hasn't been announced, but it's looking like they'll do away with the MGU-H, so we could get some of the revs and the music back.

The new engine regs will most likely still be hybrid, the MGUH is the most expensive part of the engine, its a cost cutting move and hopefully bring VW in as an engine supplier when the regs come into effect in 26.

Or I'm a regard..which is probably the case

Edited by Kdub
Derp

The new engine regs will most likely still be hybrid, the MGUH is the most expensive part of the engine, its a cost cutting move and hopefully bring VW in as an engine supplier when the regs come into effect in 26.

This is all pretty much what will happen.

MGU-H does suck a lot of the noise up, so they’ll be a little louder. MGU-K output is nearly tripling as well.

Turbo engines just aren't as loud as a 20,000 RPM V8. And never will be. The engine part of an Indy car is not that much less powerful nor does it rev that much less than an F1 car and those things are also pretty quiet.

And I can do without having to wear ear protection but still having my ears ringing the next day. Being able to talk to the person next to you about the race as it is going on is one of the big benefits of the current F1 engine regs. No they don't sound like a nest of dragons anymore but that novelty wears off.

2 hours ago, Kdub said:

Yeah they'll still be hybrid, just not as stupidly expensive and complex (MGU-H goes. MGU-K stays).

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Turbo engines just aren't as loud as a 20,000 RPM V8. And never will be. The engine part of an Indy car is not that much less powerful nor does it rev that much less than an F1 car and those things are also pretty quiet.

And I can do without having to wear ear protection but still having my ears ringing the next day. Being able to talk to the person next to you about the race as it is going on is one of the big benefits of the current F1 engine regs. No they don't sound like a nest of dragons anymore but that novelty wears off.

For me it's not so much the sound volume as it is the sound quality. There have been some turbo F1 engines that sounded very, very good (not the current iteration). Making these PUs louder wouldn't make them sound any better at all. 

Here's a great example of a sportscar that sounds much better than an F1 engine does now...

And this Zonda isn't all that loud, but it makes some incredible music.

Edited by wood

Also, I met up with him and his family last night, at a meet-n-gree at Live Oak Brewery sponsored by the Austin Chamber of Commerce, and he passed on the current, tentative schedule for the USGP weekend.  Looks like the only support races are F4 and W Series, so I guess we better enjoy the heck out of what we've got. :)

image.thumb.jpeg.1be0bd21996c2b3d595399ef0e47b386.jpeg

• Like 2

LMFAO. Got this email yesterday. COTA's calling this race a sellout, and have been for months, but (just like I said they'd do) they've magically found some T4 grandstand inventory. Sellout, my ass.

(7,822 unread) - tdwtx@yahoo.com - Yahoo Mail - Google Chrome 10_6_2021 2_29_40 PM.png

Edited by wood

50 minutes ago, wood said:

LMFAO. Got this email yesterday. COTA's calling this race a sellout, and have been for months, but (just like I said they'd do) they've magically found some T4 grandstand inventory. Sellout, my ass.

(7,822 unread) - tdwtx@yahoo.com - Yahoo Mail - Google Chrome 10_6_2021 2_29_40 PM.png

Hey @wood, any chance you can post that email link?  I know some folks still looking...

34 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Hey @wood, any chance you can post that email link?  I know some folks still looking..

Sure thing.  https://go.quintevents.com/webmail/824903/179730981/f6dcb4c0e947d45a4be8dfa04d0458585ed5b6974bce3bb379b41dec916d7457

Looks like the links there just take you to a place to register interest so they can call you.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, utee94 said:

So I believe I've mentioned it before, but one of my close friend's son, is driving in F4.  He'll be racing at COTA during the USGP weekend, and he's the first/only Austin-born-and-raised driver ever to get a contract in F4, with his dream of course being to someday race in Formula 1.

He recently turned 16, so he was also driving a racecar, before he could legally drive a normal car, on the mean streets of Austin.

For anyone looking for someone to root for in the support series, he's a good guy from a good family.  His name is Ryan Shehan.

https://www.f4uschampionship.com/pages/2021-f4-u-s-drivers

(Lando's his favorite driver, for those interested)

when they were young....

image.thumb.png.9b2b5887ef3de9fbb91a671eae576475.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There should probably be a sitcom based on his clothing choices.  It could be called, "Oh, Lewis."

There's a 53 page Lewis thread over on Motorsport Mayhem, mostly about his, um, fashion sense. Tons of pics of his clothes, and they just kill (in the comedic sense).

All things Lewis and Bieber related! https://motorsportsmayhem.freeforums.net/thread/124/all-lewis-bieber-related?page=53

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think she is his physiotherapist as I saw some pictures of her rehabbing his neck after the Monza crash. But yeah, the only time you really see her it's doing a bunch of stuff that he could just do himself like carry an umbrella.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think she is his physiotherapist as I saw some pictures of her rehabbing his neck after the Monza crash. But yeah, the only time you really see her it's doing a bunch of stuff that he could just do himself like carry an umbrella.

Correct.  Angela Cullen.

She’s spoken on that and it’s her job to carry those things. He’s offered, but she has said publicly that’s her job, she takes pride in taking care of everything for him that might be needed for a race.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

red-bull-honda-livery_101d7b8599c0cc599e

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Oh hell yeah. 
That said, every McLaren livery should be a gulf Blue. It’s beautiful. 

Yep. Both should make those alternates their permanent liveries. 

Race week boys

Hell yeah it is! 

• Like 1

Race week boys and I’ll say it.  I like the Saturday sprint.  It adds a serious element of surprise. 

Unpopular opinions thread is that way --->

I think the weekend and qualifying is perfect as is. Sprint is just a weird thing that doesn't make sense. I get the "why" behind it, but in action it is just strange. 

If anything, they should have qualifying and then a one lap sprint. It all essentially comes down the first corner. All the other laps just seem superfluous. And I hate that a crash in the Sprint -- when there is a much higher risk than in qualifying -- can essentially make someone's Sunday pointless.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Unpopular opinions thread is that way --->

I think the weekend and qualifying is perfect as is. Sprint is just a weird thing that doesn't make sense. I get the "why" behind it, but in action it is just strange. 

If anything, they should have qualifying and then a one lap sprint. It all essentially comes down the first corner. All the other laps just seem superfluous. And I hate that a crash in the Sprint -- when there is a much higher risk than in qualifying -- can essentially make someone's Sunday pointless.

Yeah this is what I'm seeing. There's some variability on the start, and then everyone (minus Mazespin) just gets in line because they don't wanna risk too much before the race on Sunday.

Ferrari’s looked quick in FP today. We’ll see if they can keep the pace tomorrow, but they were fast in Turkey last year even during the dry FP2. I’m not sure, but I don’t think they would run the new engine on a Friday, so they might have even a little more pace left. Charles has a good shot at pole and a chance at winning if Lewis takes a penalty and RB continue to struggle, though I’d expect RB to figure out some stuff with their setup by tomorrow. 

Edit:Looks Ferrari had better race pace than RB as well. In fact, Charles had second bets race pace on mediums behind Lewis’s so this could be interesting. Ferrari was having some front tire deg issues, which have plagued them before. Lewis still has a shot at the win from P11 if his pace is actually as fast as FP made it look. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Looks like my source was right again, this time re: Andretti-> Sauber.

Dieter Rencken reporting it now on RaceFans, as is Scott Mitchell on The Race.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/10/08/andretti-tipped-to-take-majority-stake-in-saubers-f1-team/

https://the-race.com/formula-1/andretti-expected-to-get-f1-move-through-sauber-deal/

Edited by wood