Formula 1 2021

wood

38 minutes ago, elfenix said:

was told that GA is non transferable and they would be checking IDs. 

odds of any of that being the case?  good deal on a pair otherwise. 

Interesting. I would be shocked if that were truly the case, however.  I mean ... these guys weren't even looking for GA wristbands all three days in 2019. The only people that were even getting tickets scanned were the ones who walked up with their tickets in plain site. I had my wristband tucked up into my sleeve all three days and nobody ever challenged me for a ticket. I just opened my backpack to be searched, and then was waved through, all three days. Not to mention how much time actually checking IDs would take. Knowing COTA, they're just saying that but won't actually do it. Just like they did re: 'checking for negative covid tests or vax gards' at concerts. They were just waving everyone through.

Also, did they say GA was not transferrable but reserved seats are?  Seems like that would be hard to justify.

Edited by wood

20 minutes ago, wood said:

Interesting. I would be shocked if that were truly the case, however.  I mean ... these guys weren't even looking for GA wristbands all three days in 2019. The only people that were even getting tickets scanned were the ones who walked up with their tickets in plain site. I had my wristband tucked up into my sleeve all three days and nobody ever challenged me for a ticket. I just opened my backpack to be searched, and then was waved through. Not to mention how much time actually checking IDs would take. Knowing COTA, they're just saying that but won't actually do it. Just like they did re: 'checking for negative covid tests or vax gards' at concerts. They were just waving everyone through.

Also, did they say GA was not transferrable but reserved seats are?  Seems like that would be hard to justify.

i'm not sure exactly what the story is.  tix are held by a friend's sister and i'm getting the info from him. 

maybe she read the terms and thinks they're enforced?

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/ticket-policies

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

There's also some talk of Herta in one of their seats. I'm sure FOM wouldn't mind a young American driver in F1. Especially one who's already known and has an actual following. This is what I've been saying would need to happen in F1 for many Americans to sit up and take notice (not that I actually care if they ever do). The only thing missing would be a top car.

• Hook 'Em 2

Can the cars recharge the battery power unit in the garage i.e. in the qualifying pits , or does it have to be harvested on track?

Are there regulations requiring some cars that go off track in the race to retire?  Sometimes it seems cars that slide off onto the grass / gravel are retired, even though the car themselves are not immobilized and ostensibly they still want to finish the race.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Can the cars recharge the battery power unit in the garage i.e. in the qualifying pits , or does it have to be harvested on track?

Are there regulations requiring some cars that go off track in the race to retire?  Sometimes it seems cars that slide off onto the grass / gravel are retired, even though the car themselves are not immobilized and ostensibly they still want to finish the race.

The driver has to be able to get the car back onto the track under its own power and without any outside assistance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

No there's no rule that says they have to retire if they go off. If they can resume safely, then it's fine for them to do so. Often when a team tells the driver to retire the car, it's because they see something that they know will put them out of the running, and/or there's a concern about a mechanical issue causing a much more damaging failure if they continue.

Pretty dull race overall, esp after Alonso got punted and then made a mistake on Mick. Nice race by Checo. Seems like maybe he's getting used to the car and maybe we'll see more of this from him going forward. Nice race by Max, too. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Good to see Alonso owning that mistake, saying the penalty was deserved. You don't see that too often in this sport. And apologizing to Mick was a nice touch. Mick just can't catch a break. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

I think Merc probably made the right call to pit Lewis, esp for Lewis's safety and to limit damage in the standings, and esp given what Ocon's tires looked like after the race. 

Lewis's tires after he pitted:

FBWNiz2XEAQGVpI?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

I get Lewis being frustrated. The conditions were frustrating, but look at Ocon's tires after the race:

97v4w52imms71.png

Going in was absolutely the right move. He lost 4 seconds to Gio on the last lap!

CE5E40A5-F3B8-4ACC-841A-BFF2549C481E.thumb.jpeg.f61fcd62fcd73c8f948483ca6887d7e1.jpeg

A8859D59-1430-46DE-848D-DD3847C21B67.thumb.jpeg.0dd0bc380d398b09fa587b28d77e5ba8.jpeg

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So I saw Lewis Hamilton's complete race, start to finish. Did any one else race today?

Some kidding as I think LH had one of the more compelling races, but dang the coverage felt like it was 80% Lewis, 20% everyone else.

Heads up. More last-minute COTA bump grinding incoming.

It seems like Masi doesn't understand where the bumps actually are at COTA. In addition to most of the east side of the track which hasn't been resurfaced, T1, T2, 10, 12, & 18 are all still problem areas even after resurfacing.

Austin being altered before F1 race after MotoGP controversy https://the-race.com/formula-1/austin-being-altered-before-f1-race-after-motogp-controversy/

Two years ago several F1 drivers complained about the bumps that had appeared around the Austin circuit, with Max Verstappen describing some of them as “ramps” that led to the cars briefly leaving the ground.

Parts of the circuit were resurfaced afterwards, including the run up to Turn 1 and the first part of the Esses, the back straight, and most of the final sector.

This was done to “counter some of the issues we saw in 2019” according to FIA race director Michael Masi.

However, large bumps have still been reported since – including through the sweeping Esses in the first sector – and it was a hugely controversial issue at the recent MotoGP round.

F1 race director Masi says he was in contact “all weekend” with officials from MotoGP governing body the FIM “to get a true understanding of the entire situation”.

The areas that were raised by the bikes are different areas to those that were resurfaced,” he said.

They’ll grind some bumps and so forth,” said Masi.

“But we’ve got some time to do it. So, they’ll do what they can within the timeframe.”

Edited by wood

6 hours ago, wood said:

Heads up. More last-minute COTA bump grinding incoming.

It seems like Masi doesn't understand where the bumps actually are at COTA. In addition to most of the east side of the track which hasn't been resurfaced, T1, T2, 10, 12, & 18 are all still problem areas even after resurfacing.

Austin being altered before F1 race after MotoGP controversy https://the-race.com/formula-1/austin-being-altered-before-f1-race-after-motogp-controversy/

i can't imagine how terrifying it has to be to get air in an F1 car

Gene Wilder No Thanks GIF

16 hours ago, wood said:

Good to see Alonso owning that mistake, saying the penalty was deserved. You don't see that too often in this sport. And apologizing to Mick was a nice touch. Mick just can't catch a break. 

It's such a shame because you can see he is a talented driver. His car does him no favors but you have to think with 2 years of development and all of the ferrari engineers donated to Haas that he will have a better car to work with next year

2 hours ago, Noozak said:

It's such a shame because you can see he is a talented driver. His car does him no favors but you have to think with 2 years of development and all of the ferrari engineers donated to Haas that he will have a better car to work with next year

Haas is using that same car from last year, and no development for this year. They're all in for the new regs next year I believe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Texas Flood said:

Question for this thread - is there any Formula 1 stories or races that you think would make a great movie?

Bono, My Tyres Are Dead: The Lewis Hamilton Story

or 

Overcoming the Odds: How a Poor Kid With No Advantages Made it to F1 -- The Max, Charles, Lando, Nikita, Carlos, Mick Story... er, let's scrap that one.

In all seriousness, I think a doc about Hamilton would be insanely good, especially in about 15 years when he is no longer racing and his greatness is appreciated even more. Kinda like if you made The Last Dance in 2000, it would be ok, but it's greatness in 2020.

10 hours ago, Kdub said:

Haas is using that same car from last year, and no development for this year. They're all in for the new regs next year I believe

Yep. And Alpine is using a tweaked 2020 car and a 3 year old PU.  All in on 2022 with a new PU.

13 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. And Alpine is using a tweaked 2020 car and a 3 year old PU.  All in on 2022 with a new PU.

With all of this time and money spent on the new cars I am pretty excited to see how teams interpret the regulations. Half the reason I pay attention is that formula 1 is a constructors sport. The drivers may get the glory but in reality it's all about the engineering. The creative shit they pull off is insane

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

SIAP---with the USGP being on ABC this time around, what channel will be showing Friday & Saturday events at COTA?  Can't find it in the 13-day guide.  

Youtube TV says the following:

• FP1 and FP2 --> ESPN 2
  • FP3 and Quali --> ESPN News
  • Hook 'Em 1

So can someone tell me the reasoning behind mobile tickets everywhere? I have practice tickets for Friday. Now I have to download another app and register my account (more likely go through the remember password game). What the heck was wrong with a PDF?

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Where is a good spot to watch the Longhorn game at the track? There was a big bar area one year with a bunch of TV’s out around the esses.

Longhorns have a bye next weekend.

But I know what you're talking about, we watched Texas lose to okie lite in overtime there with a bunch of ozzies on a walkabout one year.  We had them cheering for us and then all of a sudden it was over in OT, and they were so confused.

The big "Cowboy Bar" was another good place to watch, but they got rid of that when they put in the soccer stadium.

This season has a chance to be an absolute all timer. Max and Lewis are still neck and neck with RB strongholds of Mexico and Brazil coming up. Merc has looked stronger lately but some are speculating they’ve been running their engines at higher modes, which is harming reliability. It’s crazy to think Lewis probably could’ve won Turkey with a 10 place penalty if it was dry on race day.

On the other hand, RB clearly struggled with setup at Turkey and never figured it out. Alpha Tauri getting that close to RB in Quali certainly makes it seem like some of the disparity from Merc to RB was on the RB setup. We’ll know how much is Merc improvement versus RB setup the next two races. If Merc really have improved their performance, then Max may struggle to even place second in races Lewis wins.

On top of all that, Ferrari has improved a ton with the new ERS. Charles matched Verstappen’s pace the last two races and Ferrari say they still have about 7 more HP to come from fully deploying the ERS, which they will starting  in Abu Dabhi, so they could also be a big factor in the WDC fight if they can land in between Max and Lewis at a track like Mexico. Then you still have the McLaren-Ferrari battle for third, though it’s looking a little iffy for McLaren with Ferrari’s improvement plus Ric still struggling and Lando possibly having to take an engine penalty. You’d think he would’ve done it at Turkey if he needed one, considering he qualified 7th. If he has take one at another track, then them not doing it this week will have been a huge mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Seeing the unloading of Alphatauri gear at the Austin airport reminded me of this F1 Logistics video I came across a while back.  It's a couple years old but still describes their basic process.  My apologies if it's already been posted to this thread (or one of its many predecessors).

• Like 3

COTA Map -- Seems like there is lots more going on around the track, including a lot of fun "Texas kitschy" things. I for one welcome our Selena tributes, Lucha Libre, Armadillo Racing, Chicken Shit Bingo overlords.

http://d1cfb16c25af85165bd2-3736d8a938ecb0a7fe6d04150b8d595c.r40.cf1.rackcdn.com/COTA_FAN_MAP.png

COTA_FAN_MAP.png

Edited by FirstTimeCaller