2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

I really thought we'd hear something "official" today.  The barrage yesterday from Wright seemed like it was put out there according to the Spurs' blessing in order to prepare the fan base for shipping out this clown show.

I never expected to witness the Spurs mutually engaging in a shit flinging show by proxy through the media ... but here we are.  Strange times.      

We really don't know if this was put out there by the Spurs..... Again, I sort of think not as it lessens their leverage to paint Kawhi as a diva (more than he already is doing on his own).  If you listen to the audio, this seems to be more of a beat writer who gave up a nugget of information because he has some sympathy for the Spurs and Pop and how they're being misconstrued by Klutch/Lebron, Uncle Dennis, Lakers, Jerry West, etc, etc.  Pop and RC are big boys so I'm sure they can take it but it seems some beat writers are a little annoyed that the narrative being put out is incorrect and other groups are dragging good folks through the mud..... My new thought is the Spurs may want to get him to the USA basketball camp.  If he works out, then players and coaches will be able to see if he's healthy or not.... Builds some trust in his health for other teams and see him interact with other players and coaches.

9 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

If Tony end up leaving can we please trade Kawhi to that team. Would love to force bitch boy to have to confront Tony about how he hurt his feelings. Plus there a chance Tony fucks kawhis girlfriend or mom as well.

Why not both?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

It's as if we've gone through a portal into some opposite dimension where the Spurs look to be in disarray and the rest of the league makes sense. Next I guess you're going to tell me Tom Brady and the Pats are Splitsville. 

Uhm..... yea, they're headed that way next summer.  Billy and Tommy are non simpatico.... Break ups are hard to do.

It's sad and I would have preferred Tony to retire only wearing a Spurs uniform but we've reviewed how overloaded with smaller combo guards we are.  It was Patty or Tony and I have a feeling we can't move Patty's contract right now.  Wonder if we're holding money to match Bertans too.  

Good luck Tony.  Charlotte's a cool town, have fun and we'll see you when you get back for your jersey retirement....

• Like 1

He wanted too much and even had to settle at a number which was beyond us....... That Marco deal may not work out of us though.  Probably should have sat tight.

If/when Kemba gets traded, Tony may bet a lot of run with a terrible fucking team....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Youth movement has started. Murray and White are going to get big minutes next year. 

Murray already did..... This is good news for White and Walker.  Roster maybe?  Sort of?  Need another big man.

PG:  Murray, Patty, White

SG:  Danny, Manu/Marco, Lonnie

SF:  Rudy, Manu/Marco, maybe a little Lonnie

PF:  LMA, Bertans, Anderson?

Ce:  Pau, Metu? 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

12 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

TP didn't fully embrace the Spurs culture, honestly.  He was great and I'll always love him, but he's cut from a different cloth than Tim, Manu, DRob, Sean, AJ, and the other greats.  Let's not forget, he clubs with Chris Brown.

That's bullshit. Other than drilling Brent Barry's wife (and really, who could blame him) he has been a model Spur. Always put team first. Never complained about touches. Never got into any trouble off the court. He was completely gracious losing his starting job to Murray. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's bullshit. Other than drilling Brent Barry's wife (and really, who could blame him) he has been a model Spur. Always put team first. Never complained about touches. Never got into any trouble off the court. He was completely gracious losing his starting job to Murray. 

Totally agree..... Tony is definitely an important thread in the fabric of the Spurs culture.  He got shit on too much by some of the fanbase, but he was a great Spur and in the top 5 of all-time....

Uncle Dennis and his merry band of morons, who so desperately want Kawhi traded, have made it virtually impossible to get something done at this point. Brilliant!
I'm coming around to the idea of letting that cocksucker rot as holdout next season if we can't get decent value for him.
Come to the dark side. We have breakfast tacos over here.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Yeah, the way Parker ended his career with the Spurs skewed perception. Parker was a great Spur. 

This is just a "father time" sucks type ordeal. 

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I'm not saying he's Ron Artest.  But he sure as fuck ain't DRob.

Tony Parker also took multiple contracts at less than market value to keep the roster intact. David Robinson had a clause in his contract where his salary had to be among the top 2 paid players in the league or he would automatically become a free agent. Don't get me wrong, the Spurs made Parker mostly whole on the backside but they don't compete for championships without his willingness to do that. What more could you want from the guy?

You want a list of the top 5 Spurs ever? It goes, in order: Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Manu, Tony. Not Avery fucking Johnson or Sean Elliott. Certainly not Kawhi anymore. That's it. Parker is the best point guard in franchise history by a mile, a first ballot hall of famer and a guarantee to have his number retired. 

• Like 9

Yeah, I’ll disagree with anyone that hates on Tony Parker. For sure HOFer and on the Mt Rushmore of Spurs greats. It was a lot of fun watching his career develop and to watch him take over the scoring duties from TD and Manu. He was a model citizen during his time in SA and I wish him nothing but the best.

I remember the Parker draft. Liked the pick but sure didn't know he'd go on to be such a great leader for so long, much less a clear HOFer. Might not get the full credit he deserves for the team's success, but guys who play that far below the rim seldom have in the modern era of the association. Guy put about a million other players on roller skates nightly and even became a decent outside shooter as the years went by.

1 hour ago, hornfan785 said:

Sad to see him go, but it's probably the right time to move on from him. Thanks for the memories, TP.

Do you expect a welcome back video when Parker visits..? That would be standard for what he brought right..? Or would it just be a retiring of # when he retires..?