2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

22 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Just my opinion... I get all the player friendly deals, taking a back seat for DJ , etc but I still have a lingering impression that he did that stuff for less than magnanimous reasons. Or at least that he had other self serving motivations that weren’t as obvious.  He seems like a naturally selfish person who wants to be loved and viewed like Timmy and Manu.  My $0.02.

You're the one not viewing him in that light. 

4 time NBA Champion and Finals MVP. His # will be retired just like Manu and Timmy's. 

I think Tony Parker is pretty easily in the HOF, but I wouldn't vote him first ballot because I don't think was nearly that dominant.  He made four All-NBA teams in his career, but never a single 1st team All-NBA team, zero All-Defensive teams, and he was never clearly a Top 3-5 player in the NBA for multiple years, which is kind of where I personally view a first ballot standard.  In contrast, Duncan was I think ten times first team All-NBA (not to mention multiple other years at second team All-NBA), eight times first team All-Defensive, the other accolades of course.  I think first ballot is at minimum Top 30-40ish player all-time and I think Parker isn't close to that standard personally.  For another modern comparison, maybe the difference between Pau Gasol and Dirk in that I think both are HOFs, but Dirk is first ballot and Gasol would not be for me if I was voting. 

You can't view criteria for entry into the basketball hall of fame in the same way that you would view the football or baseball halls of fame because the basketball hall of fame covers every level of basketball -- college, international, women's, even journalists, etc.

I would be surprised if Tony Parker isn't first ballot. In addition to everything you listed, he's a 4x champion, finals MVP, played in something like the 6th most playoff games in league history and I think he is the all time leading scorer in Eurobasket history and France won Eurobasket under his leadership. His international resume isn't as stout as Manu's obviously, but he captained France's team for more than a decade and was FIBA's Euro player of the year two times.

And Gasol is a first ballot HoF too. His international resume is even more impressive than Parker's. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You can't view criteria for entry into the basketball hall of fame in the same way that you would view the football or baseball halls of fame because the basketball hall of fame covers every level of basketball -- college, international, women's, even journalists, etc.

I would be surprised if Tony Parker isn't first ballot. In addition to everything you listed, he's a 4x champion, finals MVP, played in something like the 6th most playoff games in league history and I think he is the all time leading scorer in Eurobasket history and France won Eurobasket under his leadership. His international resume isn't as stout as Manu's obviously, but he captained France's team for more than a decade and was FIBA's Euro player of the year two times.

And Gasol is a first ballot HoF too. His international resume is even more impressive than Parker's. 

Yeah I buy this and agree with what is likely to actually happen, I am only really speaking to how I would vote personally based on their NBA careers.  I think Parker (and Gasol to a lesser extent) are what I would call maybe Tier 3 or 4 Hall of Famers.  (Top 100 player as a floor, but clearly not in the Top 30 or better as a ceiling) 

Edited by UTDD
oops

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I tend to think Tony is his first ballot..... Pau is first ballot.... easily.  Very easily.

I actually watched a little of the game yesterday.

I think they are going to be fairly entertaining this year. They have a lot of people who can score but I don't know how they are going to get stops in the fourth quarters of games. They lost their two best perimeter defenders and the only person who is considered a plus defender on the roster is Murray. Aldridge has been pretty good since he got here but everyone else is considered either average or a liability.

On 10/1/2018 at 11:38 AM, Assman said:

Obvious man here, but damn it's hard to swallow that Tony and Manu are really gone.  You keep expecting one of them to check in but it never happens.  It's like the dog that runs away from home and never comes back.

I felt it watching the highlights from the game. I watched the starting five and the bench, and waited to see one of "our" guys, and I saw Patty and that was cool, but then I just kept looking at whatever five were on the floor and thinking "these aren't THE guys".... No Manu, no Tony, not even a Danny. Dejounte is a great young prospect but I still don't consider him a "SPUR spur" yet. Not until he earns those wings (hell even Patty has). This is really LaMarcus' team now and it feels weird.

39 minutes ago, Hate said:

This will be the worst Spurs defensive team since the 1988-1989 season.  Let that sink in for a minute.  A lot of the posters int his thread probably weren't even born then.

And the worst 3 point shooting team probably in a decade..... This team was built for the 80's.

The fun of the team is to see if the young guys can develop....

38 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

And the worst 3 point shooting team probably in a decade..... This team was built for the 80's.

The fun of the team is to see if the young guys can develop....

It's difficult to imagine them being worse from three than last year. I know that DDR and LMA  are kings of the mid range and Murray isn't a three point threat either, but I'm hopeful Belineli, White, Bertans (with a bigger role) and potentially Walker will be a net improvement over Anderson, Green and Parker. 

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's difficult to imagine them being worse from three than last year. I know that DDR and LMA  are kings of the mid range and Murray isn't a three point threat either, but I'm hopeful Belineli, White, Bertans (with a bigger role) and potentially Walker will be a net improvement over Anderson, Green and Parker

I can shoot better form three than 2/3 of these players and I am an out of shape 49 year old.  

31 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's difficult to imagine them being worse from three than last year. I know that DDR and LMA  are kings of the mid range and Murray isn't a three point threat either, but I'm hopeful Belineli, White, Bertans (with a bigger role) and potentially Walker will be a net improvement over Anderson, Green and Parker. 

Walker probably isn't going to help.  I'd be happy for him to shoot 34-35% but it's not his forte, I expect about 31-2%.  Don't know how White will shoot but he was 32.9% last year in the G League.  It will have to be improvement or development from the players because we didn't acquire better shooters really.  I think we overpaid for Davis because of it, but there were some stats out in the summer that on paper, we were a worse 3 point shooting team than last year.  Hopefully guys like DD and Rudy Gay can pop up about 4-5% but that's really just hoping....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

The only good news is that, for me here in the ATL, there will be virtually no chances to actually see the Spurs struggle in this “transition” year. Except in other teams’ video highlights, anyway. I’m sure not buying the league pass to watch the start of this long rebuild. 

4 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

The only good news is that, for me here in the ATL, there will be virtually no chances to actually see the Spurs struggle in this “transition” year. Except in other teams’ video highlights, anyway. I’m sure not buying the league pass to watch the start of this long rebuild. 

It’s like you didn’t even read my brilliant post above.

#6 shock the world, fuck the super teams, goodbye-Kawhi

15 hours ago, Halohal said:

Getting harder to avoid telling myself it really is over. Not that we don’t still have some great players and a solid coaching staff, but what I’ll always think of as the Spurs’ golden era simply is no more. Amazing it lasted as long as it did. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Not like Pop would have played him anyway but it's not a huge injury..... Hopefully he's getting the full repair rather than the shave.  10-12 weeks which is okay....

He would have played in austin.  Not a huge loss for the team, but huge for his development.