The Beatles - Get Back (by Peter Jackson)

Mileslong

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Holy shit this sounds SO good.  It’s crazy this was recorded 50+ years ago.

Well, the microphones and recording consoles were state of the art back then . . . and now.  "Advances" in the meantime are more or less limited to recording media (analog tape --> various digital formats) and loudspeaker technology.  The latter really doesn't come into play when doing a remix, other than whatever went to tape might have not be judged as accurately as possible given the rather lower-performance monitors of the day.  (Not that some of those monitors aren't classics.)

Really, I think the main issue is whatever noise floor might exist in the original tracks, given the lower signal-to-noise ratio of analog tape relative to digital recording gear.  Even so, the "fat" nature of tape is something that can only be emulated in a digital chain, sometimes for better, sometimes not.

Long story short:  they had some great audio to work with.  All they had to do was dig in and uncover it.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, the microphones and recording consoles were state of the art back then . . . and now.  "Advances" in the meantime are more or less limited to recording media (analog tape --> various digital formats) and loudspeaker technology.  The latter really doesn't come into play when doing a remix, other than whatever went to tape might have not be judged as accurately as possible given the rather lower-performance monitors of the day.  (Not that some of those monitors aren't classics.)

Really, I think the main issue is whatever noise floor might exist in the original tracks, given the lower signal-to-noise ratio of analog tape relative to digital recording gear.  Even so, the "fat" nature of tape is something that can only be emulated in a digital chain, sometimes for better, sometimes not.

Long story short:  they had some great audio to work with.  All they had to do was dig in and uncover it.

Related subject, I unearthed some cassette tapes from live shows my bands in the mid 90s did. I picked up a cheap player to listen to them and save as digital.

I don't think noise floor accurately captures what cassettes were like, it's practically a noise attic.

• Haha 3

On 11/2/2022 at 11:23 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Don’t they also have to have been kept cool, dry and out of the light? And the vast majority of recordings were not preserved properly?

32 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

Don’t they also have to have been kept cool, dry and out of the light? And the vast majority of recordings were not preserved properly?

It's possible the tapes degraded, although I doubt that would be true for a band as iconic as The Beatles.  Tapes can often be restored by baking them, too.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's possible the tapes degraded, although I doubt that would be true for a band as iconic as The Beatles.  Tapes can often be restored by baking them, too.

EMI also used better tape than quite a few contemporary studios at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

My understanding of what they did that was a big step up, was the new AI tech that was able to separate each instrument and voice. When they recorded back in their day, all in the same room, each mic had some spill from other sources. They weren't able to isolate each thing to its own signal. Now they can clean those up, separate everything cleanly as if it were recorded on limitless different tracks, and then remix theml like a more modern digital production.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm 60 and a life long Beatles fan--at least since I was 12, and I just got around to ordering Disney+ to watch this.  I finished it last night and It was very interesting.  

Episode 1 was a little boring at first.  Creating songs from scratch must be hard and watching the sausage get made was a little tedious to me.  Episodes 2 and 3 were very interesting and the ending was about perfect.  Paul has always been my favorite and the first episode and half of episode 2 he came across as a prick.  But he is a master at creating hit songs.  Seemed like Ringo was a good guy that just wanted to keep things going.  It was very interesting that the producers were planning for something of a live TV performance after three weeks or so of rehearsals (with songs that were yet to be created), and the band wasn't even sure where they would be playing.  They were thinking of going to Libya at one point which sounded crazy to me.  

Maybe this is not surprising to anyone, but for the entire last half of the show it seemed obvious that they all knew that their time as The Beatles was soon coming to an end.  Sure, they got together in the studio to record Abbey Road later in the year but there were several not so subtle hints that they were about done as a group even after they got George to come back.  Some of the songs that ended up on Abbey Road were played in Get Back.  

As for the roof top concert it was by far my favorite part of Get Back.  The public's reaction to what they viewed as an impromptu concert was very cool.  I'm probably the most pro-law enforcement guy on this site, but those cops needed to GTFO.  

Oh, I'm still pissed at Yoko.  I could never understand John's attraction.  I can't believe they had to include some of her awful screeching--because she was a co-producer I suppose she insisted.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The wait is over: the Beatles will release their final song, "Now and Then," on Nov. 10. Read an interview with remixer Giles Martin about the decades-in-the-making parting gift, as well as remixed, expanded 'Red' and 'Blue' albums.

MORGAN ENOS

|GRAMMYS/OCT 26, 2023 - 09:16 AM

The Beatles and grief have always been fundamentally intertwined. When John Lennon and Paul McCartney met as teenagers, they bonded over losing their mothers early on. Their manager, Brian Epstein, died in 1967 at only 32; as McCartney put it during the ensuing Get Back sessions, "Daddy's gone away now, you know, and we're on our own at the holiday camp."

Lennon's murder in 1980, at just 40 years old, imbued their story with bottomless longing — not just between this band of brothers, but a world that had to process the Beatles were never coming back. George Harrison's death from cancer, in 2001, was another catastrophic blow.

But the Beatles' message, among many, was that the light prevails. And from "In My Life" to "Eleanor Rigby" to "Julia" to "Let it Be" and beyond, almost nobody made sorrow sound so beautiful. And "Now and Then," billed as "the last Beatles song" — yes, the AI-assisted one you heard about throughout 2023 — is liable to move you to the depths of your soul.

Giles Martin On The Second Life Of "Now And Then" & How The Fab Four Are "Still Breaking New Ground"

THE BEATLES’ 1962-1966 (‘THE RED ALBUM’) AND 1967-1970 (‘THE BLUE ALBUM’) TRACKLISTING

1962-1966 (2023 EDITION)
(2CD: stereo / Digital + Streaming: stereo & Dolby Atmos)

* = newly added track
CD1
1: Love Me Do (2023 Mix)
2: Please Please Me (2023 Mix)
3: I Saw Her Standing There (2023 Mix) *
4: Twist And Shout (2023 Mix) *
5: From Me To You (2023 Mix)
6: She Loves You (2023 Mix)
7: I Want To Hold Your Hand (2023 Mix)
8: This Boy (2023 Mix) *
9: All My Loving (2023 Mix)
10: Roll Over Beethoven (2023 Mix) *
11: You Really Got A Hold On Me (2023 Mix) *
12: Can’t Buy Me Love (2023 Mix)
13: You Can’t Do That (2023 Mix) *
14: A Hard Day’s Night (2023 Mix)
15: And I Love Her (2023 Mix)
16: Eight Days A Week (2023 Mix)
17: I Feel Fine (2023 Mix)
18: Ticket To Ride (2023 Mix)
19: Yesterday (2023 Mix)
CD2
1: Help! (2023 Mix)
2: You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (2023 Mix)
3: We Can Work It Out (2023 Mix)
4: Day Tripper (2023 Mix)
5: Drive My Car (2023 Mix)
6 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) (2023 Mix)
7: Nowhere Man (2023 Mix)
8: Michelle (2023 Mix)
9: In My Life (2023 Mix)
10: If I Needed Someone (2023 Mix) *
11: Girl (2023 Mix)
12: Paperback Writer (2022 Mix)
13: Eleanor Rigby (2022 Mix)
14: Yellow Submarine (2022 Mix)
15: Taxman (2022 Mix) *
16: Got To Get You Into My Life (2022 Mix) *
17: I’m Only Sleeping (2022 Mix) *
18: Here, There And Everywhere (2022 Mix) *
19: Tomorrow Never Knows (2022 Mix) *

1967-1970 (2023 EDITION)
(2CD: stereo / Digital + Streaming: stereo & Dolby Atmos)

* = newly added track
CD1
1: Strawberry Fields Forever (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
2: Penny Lane (2017 Mix)
3: Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (2017 Mix)
4: With A Little Help From My Friends (2017 Mix)
5: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (2017 Mix)
6: Within You Without You (2017 Mix) *
7: A Day In The Life (2017 Mix)
8: All You Need Is Love (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
9: I Am The Walrus (2023 Mix)
10: Hello, Goodbye (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
11: The Fool On The Hill (2023 Mix)
12: Magical Mystery Tour (2023 Mix)
13: Lady Madonna (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
14: Hey Jude (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
15: Revolution (2023 Mix)
CD2
1: Back In The U.S.S.R. (2018 Mix)
2: Dear Prudence (2018 Mix) *
3: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (2018 Mix)
4: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (2018 Mix)
5: Glass Onion (2018 Mix) *
6: Blackbird (2018 Mix) *
7: Hey Bulldog (2023 Mix) *
8: Get Back (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
9: Don’t Let Me Down (2021 Mix)
10: The Ballad Of John And Yoko (2015 Stereo Mix / 2023 Dolby Atmos Mix)
11: Old Brown Shoe (2023 Mix)
12: Here Comes The Sun (2019 Mix)
13: Come Together (2019 Mix)
14: Something (2019 Mix)
15: Octopus’s Garden (2019 Mix)
16: Oh! Darling (2019 Mix) *
17: I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (2019 Mix) *
18: Let It Be (2021 Mix)
19: Across The Universe (2021 Mix)
20: I Me Mine (2021 Mix) *
21: The Long And Winding Road (2021 Mix)
22: Now And Then *

• Hook 'Em 1