2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

4 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Trying to figure this out:

Luka, THJ, Bullock, DFS, KP?

Trade with Heat it becomes: Dragic, Luka, THJ, Bullock, KP???? 

No way they can run Dragic and THJ out there with Luka. We will get shredded. I think Dragic or THJ become 6th man in that scenario. I still think Brunson is gone if we get Dragic. 

No way they can run Dragic and THJ out there with Luka. We will get shredded. I think Dragic or THJ become 6th man in that scenario. I still think Brunson is gone if we get Dragic. 

I don’t. Brunson would still be a backup guard. They’d stagger minutes with Dragic, as they’d need Dragic to run the 2nd team and feel like Brunson is more a shooting guard than a PG.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I don’t. Brunson would still be a backup guard. They’d stagger minutes with Dragic, as they’d need Dragic to run the 2nd team and feel like Brunson is more a shooting guard than a PG.

To me, it's not all about there not being a spot for Brunson so much as I don't think they're going to want to pay him next summer. Need to get max value for that contract while you can. 

Not sure what our remaining cap situation is. I'm guessing acquiring Dragic is still likely through trade/buyout.

Reggie Jackson could help with scoring.

Schroder could help run point and can play ok defense at times.

I don't know enough about Oubre or Hart.

Markannan if we want to add another Euro and run a 5 out offense.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, LurkingHorn said:

To me, it's not all about there not being a spot for Brunson so much as I don't think they're going to want to pay him next summer. Need to get max value for that contract while you can. 

That's a fair take.  But if you're trading him, it has to be to improve...not just to get something for losing him.

9 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'm sure the posters saying he's not going to re-sign will be along shortly to eat crow

Is he going to stay after this contract? That's the real question. Rick and Donnie being gone is a small first step. Those bozos were stale and I am sure Luka had a say in them being gone. I can't imagine he had any faith in either. Mavs' on are on notice now to either put a team behind him or see him test the waters. Look at Atlanta. They got to the ECF with Trae not because he is better than Luka but his supporting cast is heads and shoulders ahead of Luka's. 

Hopefully the new coach can figure out how to use Porzingis better than Rick did. I get his faults but Rick absolutely did him no favors at times. 

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
11 hours ago, Llogg said:
literally no one.

In the darkest days of the season (February) there were several posters fearing he wouldn't. We now have four years to put a team around him.

I think everyone's concern is that after he signs the extension, they are going to be hamstrung to do much to improve the team (aka KP's contract and no draft picks). This is one reason I'd like to trade Brunson and some, not all, of these other moveable contracts (Powell, Maxi, DFS, etc.) to start getting draft assets back. They're going to have to start taking the draft seriously, there's really no other choice at this point. 

That being said, I do think they did a good, not great, job this offseason. I don't think anyone was out there that was going to fix all their issues, but they did address shooting and added some defense. I can see the offense being very good in the regular season, similar to 2019. I really hope they avoid their typical slow start to the season because I do think they could get the 3 seed if everything breaks their way. 

53 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I think everyone's concern is that after he signs the extension, they are going to be hamstrung to do much to improve the team (aka KP's contract and no draft picks).

yes that's the concern now but if you go back to posts from last feb there were several bemoaning luka's coming attrition.  

i agree, we were disciplined in what we did this offseason.  we did swing for lowry and perhaps demar and kawhi but i'm glad we missed out on them.  i would like to see what dragic could add to this team, preferably after he's bought out.  i don't know how to do it and i'm sure it'll never happen but i would still like to see vucevic as a maverick. 

14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
16 hours ago, Llogg said:
literally no one.

In the darkest days of the season (February) there were several posters fearing he wouldn't. We now have four years to put a team around him.

Does the extension really matter anymore? In this day and age, it doesn't seem to make any difference how long or how much money a contract is for, players can pretty much just demand to be traded and the team has almost no options beyond acquiescing.  All it does is guarantee Doncic is going to get paid as much as possible, be it by the Mavs or wherever he decides he wants to play.

I have no idea what Luka's timeline is, but the clock is ticking. So far, they've overhauled the coaching staff and the front office to appease him. Cuban was able to build out winning teams around Dirk for a decade because he scoffed at the luxury tax and just kept acquiring talent no matter the cost. Today's repeater tax is much more punitive. I don't know if he is willing to bite that bullet nowadays. They don't have much draft capital or young talent. They shouldn't be picking very high in future drafts and they don't have a ton of cap space, even less with Luka's contract. They have a lot riding on Porzingis's shoddy knees.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

At least last week the Bulls were wanting a 1st rounder. Mavs would need to trade one of their big men as well. 

Mavs could really use Dragic but seems the Raptors will hold him hostage until the trade deadline. 

image.png.11617ecacc973276267c6f9ca3052c89.png

Geez we are going to have some poor play-making outside of Luka. What a depressing list. 

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
20 hours ago, Llogg said:
literally no one.

Yeah that shit absolutely happened.  There were several people that had no idea about the rookie extension/All NBA kicker that were talking out of their asses.  They're also better coaches than Rick Carlisle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Does the extension really matter anymore? In this day and age, it doesn't seem to make any difference how long or how much money a contract is for, players can pretty much just demand to be traded and the team has almost no options beyond acquiescing. 

That Harden garbage is not common.  And if Luka ever pulled that shit early in a contract he could get fucked anyway.  I don't think he's the type but who the fuck knows.

Edited by threesheets

7 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:
How we feeling about Markkanen? Let's get him and Dragic and create an all-star Euro team. 

lauri and kp, i feel like we're a gimmick offense at that point.

4 hours ago, threesheets said:

That Harden garbage is not common.  And if Luka ever pulled that shit early in a contract he could get fucked anyway.  I don't think he's the type but who the fuck knows.

i think that's the MO now though. harden, AD, kawhi, westbrook, kyrie, cp3.  even iguodala refusing to play.  i think luka's different from those guys but who knows who has his ear down the road.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

lauri and kp, i feel like we're a gimmick offense at that point.

i think that's the MO now though. harden, AD, kawhi, westbrook, kyrie, cp3.  even iguodala refusing to play.  i think luka's different from those guys but who knows who has his ear down the road.

Iggy was put on ice by Memphis so they could preserve his trade value.