2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I don't see Cuban changing his ways but is the new GM is gonna put with not having full control? 

Cuban can easily solve that by just hiring a yes man. Jerry Jones does this with all his head coaches aside from Bill Parcells and Jimmy. And neither of them lasted long under him. You can easily find people out there who will fill this role just for a check.

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

If this dumpster fire is the beginning of the end of the Luka era, Mark really may take over from Jerrah as the most hated local owner.  This has been way too fucking messy.

It's pretty effing amazing if you think about it.  Just own the team, reap the profit and front-row seats, get the F out of the way and let folks that know what they are doing run the show.  

I hate Cuban more and more every year.  His novelty has long worn off.  I liked Donnie, but it has been a long decade.  Rick is a great coach, but he can be stubborn and seems like he just wants to coach his players.  I think the rooster moves may be limited, and maybe the best chance is just new leadership.  If Avery can get us to the finals in year one, maybe a decent hire gives us a chance.

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

tons of people made money ONCE in networking boom and .com boom.  I know plenty of them.  95% of them couldn't repeat.  that doesn't mean they aren't still rich because they wisely invested the fuck you money they made but it doesn't make them geniuses.

TLDR: timing is everything.....just ask Rick Carlisle

Cuban started an IT or network building company or something like that and made a few million. Then he founded broadcast.com and either invented or cornered the market on streaming audio. 
so he was 2/2 before buying the mavs. No idea how his ventures since, and shark tank stuff, has gone. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cuban started an IT or network building company or something like that and made a few million. Then he founded broadcast.com and either invented or cornered the market on streaming audio. 
so he was 2/2 before buying the mavs. No idea how his ventures since, and shark tank stuff, has gone. 

He kept doing that after he bought them. I contracted for a big project with Motorola that he was backing made a fuck ton of money until the govt shut down the frequencies around Kalamazoo. /Csb

Lue had a better roster.

I wonder if it'll be Jamahl Mosley 

Was supposed to be at Jamahl’s wedding but I told my girl to hit the bricks a few weeks before. Anyway, he’s a SOLID guy, the players love him and I think he should get a shot in the search process.

Not sure we’ll find much better.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Was supposed to be at Jamahl’s wedding but I told my girl to hit the bricks a few weeks before. Anyway, he’s a SOLID guy, the players love him and I think he should get a shot in the search process.

Not sure we’ll find much better.

Luka seems to really like him.  That might trump all

2 hours ago, kegman said:

I hate Cuban more and more every year.  His novelty has long worn off.  I liked Donnie, but it has been a long decade.  Rick is a great coach, but he can be stubborn and seems like he just wants to coach his players.  I think the rooster moves may be limited, and maybe the best chance is just new leadership.  If Avery can get us to the finals in year one, maybe a decent hire gives us a chance.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886jaslhl1fr7x0ztsbma

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

yes it was mainly a networking/business SW reseller company that made a couple million during networking boom.  he fleeced the shit out of Yahoo on the broadcast.com thing that made him a billionaire.  kudos and good for him(yahoo was stoopid)but it was really a matter of timing and stupid money rolling around during the .com era. he's not an idiot when it comes to business so I am sure he has made money since the 08/09 crash.  doesn't mean he knows how to run a basketball team.

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes it was mainly a networking/business SW reseller company that made a couple million during networking boom.  he fleeced the shit out of Yahoo on the broadcast.com thing that made him a billionaire.  kudos and good for him(yahoo was stoopid)but it was really a matter of timing and stupid money rolling around during the .com era. he's not an idiot when it comes to business so I am sure he has made money since the 08/09 crash.  doesn't mean he knows how to run a basketball team.

Of course he’s made money since the ‘08/09 crash.   I’m quite sure his basketball franchise has at least doubled, if not tripled in value since then.  

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He kept doing that after he bought them. I contracted for a big project with Motorola that he was backing made a fuck ton of money until the govt shut down the frequencies around Kalamazoo. /Csb

Pretty remarkable for a team with a shitty owner. coach. and gm to have the second best winning percentage in the league for the last 20 years. 

Y'all keep dropping that knowledge though. At least until Cowboys preseason starts and you're wearing a jersey pounding Miller Lites in the Party Pit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Pretty remarkable for a team with a shitty owner. coach. and gm to have the second best winning percentage in the league for the last 20 years. 

Y'all keep dropping that knowledge though. At least until Cowboys preseason starts and you're wearing a jersey pounding Miller Lites in the Party Pit.

the Atlanta Braves say hi

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, threesheets said:

Second best winning percentage and 1 championship in that span screams underperforming.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, threesheets said:

It’s obvious that there has been very real tension and dysfunction in the front office so the past 20 years are kind of irrelevant. They simply have not improved the roster around a top 5 player and, if you believe MacMahon, had an ass hole coach who rubbed that player the wrong way. It’s okay to say you were a fan of Carlisle but that he also needed to go. Anyone is going to pick Luka over Carlisle 10 times out of 10. 

As much as a shit show this is right now Mark is and continues to be a good businessman.   And both from a basketball perspective and franchise value perspective keeping Luka happy is the absolute most important thing and there is really zero doubt he realizes that.   Luckily there is plenty of time to turn this around but it's ridiculous how this has played out publicly.    If you read the Athletic articles citing sources from other franchises, is there really any doubt Cato is also somewhat being used to exacerbate the dysfunction and sow seeds of doubt?  I'm sure most of what he is writing is true but it's also pretty damn convenient for certain coastal franchises that have their eye on Luka and were no doubt more than willing to fuel the flames.

• Like 2

Assuming Luka signs the extension, the issue the Mavs have in the near term, as MacMahon explained on Lowe's podcast yesterday, is that they need Kristaps to either be a legit #2 or be moved for a legit #2. With his contract, performance and injury history, it seems impossible that he could be the centerpiece for a trade for a true #2 at this point in time. They basically have to either jump ship this summer and sell him for parts (which, given the contract, will be tough), or pray to fucking god that he has the summer of his life and comes back transformed.

If Luka signs the extension, the Mavs probably have a 3 year window to build a contender before the trade demands start happening.  

25 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Assuming Luka signs the extension, the issue the Mavs have in the near term, as MacMahon explained on Lowe's podcast yesterday, is that they need Kristaps to either be a legit #2 or be moved for a legit #2. With his contract, performance and injury history, it seems impossible that he could be the centerpiece for a trade for a true #2 at this point in time. They basically have to either jump ship this summer and sell him for parts (which, given the contract, will be tough), or pray to fucking god that he has the summer of his life and comes back transformed.

If Luka signs the extension, the Mavs probably have a 3 year window to build a contender before the trade demands start happening.  

I think KP is staying and hopefully the new regime can find a way to get the most out of him. He still averaged 20 per game and had a 20 PER. Like MacMahon also said in the podcast, the Clips were probably the worst possible matchup for him. If they had played the Blazers, for example, it's likely he has a pretty good series and we're not all desperate to run him out of town. I just don't think they have a choice because you cannot sell him this low right now. 

10 hours ago, threesheets said:

Hang a banner in the AAC for 2nd best winning percentage 2001-2021!

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I think KP is staying and hopefully the new regime can find a way to get the most out of him. He still averaged 20 per game and had a 20 PER. Like MacMahon also said in the podcast, the Clips were probably the worst possible matchup for him. If they had played the Blazers, for example, it's likely he has a pretty good series and we're not all desperate to run him out of town. I just don't think they have a choice because you cannot sell him this low right now. 

I agree. I think you have to hold your breath and hope a bit. They desperately need him to give them rim protection at the 5. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I cannot imagine anyone with Pop’s acumen and demeanor willingly signing up to work for Cuban, or even just being around him. He’s a fucking clown show. I mean yeah, great and all, but that’s like suggesting Belichick to coach the Cowboys.  It’s an absurd notion  

Very non-plussed on the prospect of Kidd. It would not end well. 

Pop is in his 70s now. He came from the Spurs franchise, which might have been the best run franchise in the NBA over the last decades. He is too old to put up with Cuban's antics. Cuban would have to pull a Jerry from 2003 and step back and let Pop have complete control like he did with Parcells. Very unlikely. Cuban is set in his ways and it's getting in the way of results on the court. He has a top star in Luka but if he keeps fucking around, he could ruin all that. We aren't that far removed from the sexual harrasment story and now this fiasco. I like what this fiasco created but there is definitely a toxic environment going on behind the scenes. The last decade reminded me of the last decade of UT football. A whole lot of nothing. Because the people at the top were incompetent. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I cannot imagine anyone with Pop’s acumen and demeanor willingly signing up to work for Cuban, or even just being around him. He’s a fucking clown show. I mean yeah, great and all, but that’s like suggesting Belichick to coach the Cowboys.  It’s an absurd notion  

Very non-plussed on the prospect of Kidd. It would not end well. 

Of course he’d have no interest in working for Cuban. It was meant to be funny, and tell me the thought of how Spurs fans would respond if he quit to go to Dallas doesn’t make you giggle like ron Swanson.