2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

First, that’s wildly controversial. In all three players’ cases. Second, that wasn’t the fucking argument, moron. Read what Catdaddy wrote, and stop creating tangential arguments. 

Lol why you mad bro? The argument is kind of what I say it is. I want continuing a pointless comparison across eras. I was pointing out that the guy best suited to the current game is the guy who kind of helped shape the game in that direction. Not exactly controversial that the guy who played most recently had a skillset more adapted to the current rules and strategies. Misses Malone is a fucking dinosaur in today's NBA. Dirk is a bird.

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

I don't think they would unless they feel they have a title shot with Klay coming back and KP did that window more than Wiseman does. By demanding a haul of future picks they also shore up for the inevitable rebuild.

I don't think they would, btw, but I don't think the Mavs would do it straight up for Wiggins.

So, IMO, the Warriors have a 1, maybe 2 year window with Steph, Klay, and Draymond, a lot will depend on Wiseman's growth and what happens with lottery balls this year.  They actually have some trade chips because Minnesota is a terribly run franchise.  Between, KP and Wiggins, KP is the better player in a vacuum, but Wiggins can do some things KP doesn't look like he can do including guard multiple wing positions and create offense (although neither does it well -- both of their AST% are dog shit).  So for someone to bite at a potential Wiggins/KP swap, the Warriors would really have to feel Porzingis' injury maladies are behind him -- a tenuous leap of faith. 

The money is about the same for the next 3 years but I'm not sure the delta of an oft injured big guy, who plays the same basic position their top 5 rookie plays, for an athletically gifted but low IQ wing is Wiseman, especially if you think your window is now.  Maybe.  Maybe the Golden State FO is really desperate and they're huge fans of Porzingis but I just can't see it, especially when all Dallas would have to trade pick wise, is 2022 or 2024.  They have no picks this year or in 2023.  I think that would be GM suicide and if you want to shop Wiggins and Wiseman, the Warriors could probably do better until KP proves the injuries are behind him.  You want to offload Wiggins for an upgrade on the wing, they could certainly attach Wiseman or the T'Wolves pick this year for an upgrade and I think they could do better than KP from a value stand point when you consider his contract.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You waded in here, probably shithammered, cherry picked from another argument and twisted it into something YOU wanted to talk about.  Except you weren’t upfront about what you were doing.  Either that or you’re too stupid to realize what you did.  It’s a common tactic on this Board and I suspect message boards in general, but it’s incredibly stupid and obvious. Don’t be stupid. 

But let’s talk about it. In today’s game, Dirk isn’t a lottery pick, and possibly not a first rounder of players from the last 50 years being eligible. He is certainly not a Top 3 pick. 

You're wrong. Having Barkley and Pedo Malone above Dirk in any argument about all time greats or 'how-would-older-generations-fit-into-days-game' is just bad. Just drop it. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You waded in here, probably shithammered, cherry picked from another argument and twisted it into something YOU wanted to talk about.  Except you weren’t upfront about what you were doing.  Either that or you’re too stupid to realize what you did.  It’s a common tactic on this Board and I suspect message boards in general, but it’s incredibly stupid and obvious. Don’t be stupid. 

But let’s talk about it. In today’s game, Dirk isn’t a lottery pick, and possibly not a first rounder of players from the last 50 years being eligible. He is certainly not a Top 3 pick. 

That's kind of how conversations work. Sorry if you confused surlyhorns.com for an Oxford debate.

22 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No NBA champion has ever won shooting the ball. About the furthest any team got is probably Harden’s Rockets teams. 

You are an ocean of terrible takes but I couldn't let this go. You seem to be completely clueless about the modern game. You are reminiscing about inefficient Karl Malone mid-range jumpers and feeding KP the ball 20 times a game with his back to the basket while saying teams don't win games off of shooting?

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/shots-general/?sort=FG3A_FREQUENCY&dir=1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Playoffs

Six of the last seven champs were in the top 10 teams in the league in frequency of threes, and the 7th was 11. 

2020  Lakers  11th
2019  Raptors 5th
2018  Warriors 6th
2017  Warriors 5th
2016  Cavs 3rd
2015  Warriors 1st
2014  Spurs 10th

This season 7 of the top 11 of those teams are still playing. I'm going to venture a guess that as a football fan you are a "you have to establish the run in order to pass" believer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

In a heartbeat, Barkley and Karl are ahead of Dirk. It’s fairly close but I’d have Karl in the low teens, Barkley in the high teens and Dirk around 20. Their numbers are far superior, their first team All-NBA nods are superior (especially Malone), they both played with comparable talent to Dirk, and both got MJ’ed and Dream’ed for rings. Statistically speaking it’s not a comparison. 

If it’s fairly close, Dirk’s title should be the tiebreaker.  Dirk’s #s are a bit artificially lower because he hung around too long and deflated them the last few years.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

With Karl, it’s not. 19 seasons versus Dirk’s 21. Karl’s numbers deteriorated too but not as much and he was a much more physical player. 11 time 1st teamer, 2 MVPs, 2nd most points scored while very rarely attempting a 3, far superior rebounder. Barkley is closer but I’m picking him over Dirk because of his greater ability to create his own shot.

Dirk could get a shot anytime he wanted one simply by turning around and shooting over whoever was guarding him, and if they put someone on him tall enough to contest it, he took that person to the rim.  You will never get me to say anything nice about Malone.

25 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Is that website one I should know? Looks pretty sketch. 

It's an aggregator.  The report is from 48minutes which is a decent site, but not like it's Woj or anything.  Not sure what Washington to send out though.  You want some Russ?  They could package Bertans and Thomas Bryant, intriguing big man who has offense but struggles a little defensively.  I think the Wizards would be interested if the Mavs basically want to dump that salary.  Maybe they'd attach Deni or Rui but that would mean something else small may be going back?  There's also an asshole out there and often it's the Wizards.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

52% for Mailman is inefficient?

No. I'm not saying Malone was inefficient, I'm saying long twos are inefficient relative to three point shots. Because 2 points is fewer points than 3 you see. Not to mention spacing. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/karl-malone-shot-chart

There is not an NBA star with a shot chart that looks like this anymore, because we have a ton of data saying that isn't the best way to score points. If Malone was in the NBA today, when he wasn't in a pick and roll his ass would be parked in the corner behind the arc. And he had better learn to hit that shot pretty frequently.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You cannot win championships relying on jump shooting. Ever. The Rockets teams prior to Harden leaving, and the Mavs team of the last few years, are prime examples of this.

I'm not really sure what you are arguing I guess. Spacing the floor for Luka and letting him finish at the basket or find an open guy for three was a devastatingly effective offense last year. Literally one of the best of all time. We swapped Curry for Richardson and it took a step back this year but it was still good. With the pieces we had this year what could Rick have done differently to have made us a better offensive team/closer to championship level in your estimation? 

21 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Still, your argument that the last 7 NBA champs were jump shooting teams is easily refuted, because they’re clearly not.  We resorted in each of the last 2 playoffs to be a jump shooting team and nothing more.

We had an effective offense this year, too, and it worked against the best teams in the regular season. People here cited it would work against the Clips in the playoffs because we went 2-1 against them in the regular season. But the playoffs are a totally different story.  

If it's so easy to refute, by all means refute it. All you are doing is stating conclusions. By the way, I never said the words "jump shooting team". That is meaningless. What I can show you is that you are being reductive and you're wrong. The Clippers shot a higher percentage of their FG attempts from three during the series than the Mavericks did. Empirically. During the playoffs, where according to you should be impossible because of how different things are they were more reliant on jump shots.  

image.thumb.png.af17713a0433df50cdbf168a83d4e8bf.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler
36 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

1) Kleber shouldn’t have played nearly as much as he did. If he’s on the floor for half a quarter, and has proven to be cold from 3, not rebounding, and ineffective guarding Kawhi, put Powell in, and get bigger;

2) Play Brunson at least 24 minutes a game. Put him on Jackson/Rondo/Bev. I don’t care how small you get, keep him on the floor, because he probably would’ve averaged the 2nd or 3rd most points and assists on the floor. Tell him to go to the hole and draw fouls.

3) When Powell is in the game, play him in the high post, and run pick and rolls through him.

4) When Powell and KP are in game together, keep Powell in high post and KP on the perimeter, but goddamnit, make KP crash boards. Chris Bosh talked about why players, even big men, don’t crash offensive glass anymore, and it’s insanely idiotic. Now KP can move much better than Boban - KP can really run the floor - but the Clippers weren’t getting a lot of points in transition the whole series, and KP running back after a 3 was launched elsewhere is not why they weren’t running. KP has got to crash the O glass. He never did. That’s on Carlisle.

5) When Powell is out, run KP at high post and run the O through him. Give the Clips a variety of looks: turnaround jumpers - easier for KP than 3s - pick and rolls and pick and pops. Do not have him out all series on the perimeter. 

6) Always have Luka on PG and either DFS or Josh on Kawhi. Don’t fuck around with Luka or Kleber on Kawhi. Luka is a much better defender than people realize, but he can’t guard Kawhi without help (and Kawhi can’t guard Luka without help). Keep him on PG.  Kleber was in no position to guard Kawhi this series. When DFS or Josh are out, throw Powell on Kawhi, even if it means giving up 3s. If Kleber proved to be effective, have him on Morris, and for God’s sake, have him crash the glass after a jacked Morris corner 3, that hopefully Kleber is actually guarding. 

7) Play Boban more consistently and when he’s in, feed him, and crash the fucking glass. Too many times, Boban had zero teammates competing for O rebounds. That’s on Carlisle. 

I appreciate you listing all of the things you would have done differently but I disagree with almost all of them. Any combination of most of them would have resulted in a shorter than 7 game series. 

1) Sort of agree on Maxi. When he's not hitting shots early he just doesn't seem to have it and doesn't provide enough value outside of that. Although I'm not sure how feasible giving Powell big minutes was, he has not been good since coming back from the injury. Maybe worth a shot.

2) Love Brunson, but the Clips ate his lunch this series. He had one of the worst NET ratings on the team.

3) See 1, Powell hasn't been that guy since before his injury

4) What a weird conclusion. We were making a point of not crashing the offensive glass and getting back on defense and LA wasn't scoring much in transition. So clearly we could have just starting crashing the offensive glass, not worried about getting back on defense and the Clippers would still not be a threat in transition? 

5) You want KP to be that guy, but he's not that guy. 

6) I don't see how we could ask Luka to have the usage rate on offense he had and also carry that kind of role on defense. Not to mention he wasn't even 100% the second half of the series. 

7) Boban got plenty of time

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

52% for Mailman is inefficient?  I said we needed to feed KP inside (ever?)?  Interesting  

I never said good shooting teams didn’t win titles. All of the past champions you mentioned were drive and dish teams. Lebron and Kawhi excel at it. 3s are a supplement to their games. And the Warriors are the quintessential modern NBA team. Contrary to popular belief, they play the game in a very old school way, while also incorporating phenomenal shooting with Steph and Klay. You think Draymond or KD camped out and launched 3s?  You think they got out rebounded in a series?

You cannot win championships relying on jump shooting. Ever. The Rockets teams prior to Harden leaving, and the Mavs team of the last few years, are prime examples of this. If you don’t have multiple guys that are threats to get to the rim and score easy buckets, you’re going to lose. The Clippers just illustrated this in textbook fashion. They didn’t win yesterday on Morris’ 7 threes. They won with Kawhi at both ends of the floor and George driving to the hole and hitting pull up jumpers. They blew us out with Morris. 

You’re negating part of your Dirk argument here.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

5. KP isn’t a dynamo post player and never will be. But he moves well, and getting a guy capable of putting the ball on the floor 1-2 times and a 12-14 footer (he IS that guy) instead of launching 28 footers solely is common sense. 

Lol, nailed it. Assuming by “capable” you meant, “worst in the league at it”. 

KP is not capable of getting his own shot and any possession that Rick gives him the ball and clears our space for him is a wasted one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

During Dirk’s prime years, he had 9 seasons of Kidd and Nash averaging 8+ assists per game per season. He also had Jet and Devin productively handling the ball. If you want me to claim he had the kind of PG running mate that Malone did, I won’t. But to say “name the HOF PG that spoon fed Dirk”, I just named fucking 2. And I already said it was ridiculously dumb for Cuban to let Nash walk. Let’s not act like Dirk was capable of walking the ball up and taking it to the hole, like Jordan, LBJ, Wade or Luka. He wasn’t, and that’s okay. Neither was Malone. 

Since 2007 the Mavs have had 3 Allstars. Jason Kidd in 2010 and Dirk and Luka. The roster during Dirk's prime years was empirically substandard. 

Between Dirk being drafted in the 1998 draft and Luka being drafted in the 2018 draft how many usable NBA players has Donnie drafted in those 20 drafts? 

Rodrigue Beaubois (I may be stretching things to include him in the category of usable since he didn't play for a team outside of Dallas and his success in Dallas was more a function of our inept roster, but I want to go out of may way to increase this 20 year list)

Devin Harris

Josh Howard

Marquis Daniels

Jay Crowder

Jalen Brunson

I may be missing a couple players here or there (forget if Brandon Bass was a Donnie pick or if he came to the Mavericks via trade), but regardless that's a fucking paltry list for 20 years of draft picks.

Donnie is a trash GM full stop. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh wow. He is very adept at catching and shooting quickly from a multitude of spots, including catching while cutting and dunking. I’m actually pretty surprised at that stat. 
What did you think he was good at if not that?

7 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Not sure what TPA is but pretty much lines up with eye test. Luka and a bunch of dudes.

Josh Richardson was our key offseason move and he was a negative.

07hujoanxu371.jpg

our team is Hawaii and Luka is American Samoa

59 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Between Dirk being drafted in the 1998 draft and Luka being drafted in the 2018 draft how many usable NBA players has Donnie drafted in those 20 drafts? 

Rodrigue Beaubois (I may be stretching things to include him in the category of usable since he didn't play for a team outside of Dallas and his success in Dallas was more a function of our inept roster, but I want to go out of may way to increase this 20 year list)

Devin Harris

Josh Howard

Marquis Daniels

Jay Crowder

Jalen Brunson

I may be missing a couple players here or there (forget if Brandon Bass was a Donnie pick or if he came to the Mavericks via trade), but regardless that's a fucking paltry list for 20 years of draft picks.

Donnie is a trash GM full stop. 

This Wang Zhizi erasure will not stand.

Yeah, pretty fucking bleak. Even using your really low “usable” standard there just isn’t much there. At least he traded Dennis Smith early enough that he still had some trade value and not after it was clear that Donnie picked another borderline NBA player. 

Exactly what you quoted but was wrong in that he cannot put the ball on the floor. He’s still been criminally misused.  
Funny thing is in new York he got fed the ball often in the post and played well from there. I didn't watch a lot of Knicks games but did watch enough to get that impression.

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:
4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:
Exactly what you quoted but was wrong in that he cannot put the ball on the floor. He’s still been criminally misused.  

Funny thing is in new York he got fed the ball often in the post and played well from there. I didn't watch a lot of Knicks games but did watch enough to get that impression.

The Kevin O'Connor video someone posted in the thread details KP's effectiveness in the post at various points throughout his career. Maybe this year's poor play was simply a function of injuries restricting his play, but the numbers this season (both offensively and defensively) are drastically different from even last year. 

14 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nope. Watch the KOC video, he’s not been criminally misused. Carlisle used him the only way he provides any value right now, as a floor spacer on offense and a tall person on defense. 

They traded for him and extended him with the reasonable hope that he would be all the things you are saying he is but it didn’t work out. But that’s on him (and Donnie) not Rick. Carlisle is just doing his best to make chicken salad out of his chicken shit play. 

KP's body is just going to continue to break down over time. Does anyone truly believe he will go even two seasons in a row from here on out 100% healthy?

When he's having a bad game on offense he checks out mentally on defense as well. Or maybe its injuries idk but his defense is pathetic at times.

At this point would have to trade him for pennies on the dollar though so might as well keep him through the summer.

12 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

When he's having a bad game on offense he checks out mentally on defense as well. Or maybe its injuries idk but his defense is pathetic at times.

This.  Someone posted a breakdown of his mental defensive breakdowns in game 3.  It was beyond pathetic.   Just flat out lost focus and allowed numerous easy baskets.

KP is a guy who needs the ball given to him for him to be effective. He is not going to command the ball and create his own with any sort of consistency (if any at all). He's passive and camps out far away from the basket. The problem is, he just is not good enough to do this consistently. Therefore, Luka really does not trust him and shakes him off so often, even if he is doubled and KP is sitting wide open. I do think Luka can sometimes play hero ball too often and sometimes he needs to defer to his teammates. Rick takes blame for not making adjustments and just allows this to happen constantly. It seems our offense is give it to Luka and see what happens. That isn't coaching. That is being inept. Yes, KP has been bad but Rick and Luka do not escape some blame, especially Rick. I think there is a little validity to KP's claims. He's not a guy you can just go to here and there. He needs to be involved early and often. But he needs to realize if he wants this to happen, he needs to step it up big time.

I just think a new voice as coach could shake things up a bit and maybe new eyes can figure out how to make Luka and KP work better. There is rift there between the two right now and it won't get any better it seems like.

And as someone said earlier, the front office between drafting Dirk and Luka (which is about 20 years), what exactly have they did in the draft? Nothing really. Their biggest acquisitions are in trades or a few free agents. They never really drafted a team around Dirk that came up with him. Some of the more successful teams over that time were built in the draft from the Spurs to OKC to GSW. That is what we needed to do. We just can't land the big fish to do what Miami, Cleveland and now the Nets. 

A new coach and new GM is needed right now (really should have been done a long time ago but whatever).

14 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

KP's body is just going to continue to break down over time. Does anyone truly believe he will go even two seasons in a row from here on out 100% healthy?

At this point would have to trade him for pennies on the dollar though so might as well keep him through the summer.

The injuries he has for someone his size takes a huge tool. He plays so awkward at all like he is trying not to get hurt. And that does not help us at all, either. It seems his level of play has gotten worse every year. He might as well have been hurt this series because he really did not help at all except a few times here and there. And even at that, it was more of defense and stuff that did not show up on the stat sheet. Which is not what we brought him here for at all.

Donnie was interviewed on the Fan and geez he's an awful interview. "Ya know...ya know...ya know".

Basically had a very PC way of saying Luka needs to share the ball more. I mean seriously? He put this roster around him and it's clear they can't create a shot to save their life. I've been somewhat level-headed after the loss, but the interview really did not paint Donnie in a good light at all. I really hope it was just GM-speak and that he's going to work some magic, but if that's his true evaluation of what transpired, we are in deep trouble with him. 

Donnie is the longest tenured GM in the NBA and Rick Carlisle is one of the longest tenured coaches. 

Mavs haven't won a playoff series in a decade. 10 years is a long time in sports.

They got bailed out with Luka but how long will ineptitude be rewarded by Cuban? A lot of the best summers the Mavs have had is literally swinging and missing on guys. Deron Williams, Dwight Howard etc. Got lucky they picked another team.

21 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Luka and Brunson are really the only guys under 25 years old on the Mavs. How is this a young team that took the next step?

So stupid. Not to mention they mostly ran back the same team as last year...who got the same experience of losing to the Clippers in the first round of the playoffs.

Edited by UncleSonny

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Took the next step in getting eliminated in the 1st round again.

Yes donnie they have a few guys who can take it to the next level. That is the problem you dumbass.

Edited by dcar00

Young team?  Don't buy this bullshit from Donnie.
Luka, KP and Brunson are young. And who else? Also, what next step did they take? They lost again to the same team. Unless they wanted to show they are capable of blowing series leads. We improved our seeding this year but that's it. The same issues surfaced in the playoffs as last year.

Feels like the most likely situation is Donnie is back and the Mavs resign THJ, keep KP, and replace Josh Richardson with some cheap contract guy. Meh. 
Pretty much. They almost have no choice. They married themselves to KP a few years ago and are stuck. Unless they want to trade and get low value back just to wash our hands and clear money off the books. I'm not sure what some are expecting this off-season. Unless something totally unforeseen happens.

I would love to see them replace Donnie and Rick. Get some new life in here. Both have been here the last 10 years with zero playoff wins. At the very least, Rick needs to be replaced.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
On 6/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, Post Oak said:
Young team?  Don't buy this bullshit from Donnie.

Luka, KP and Brunson are young. And who else? Also, what next step did they take? They lost again to the same team. Unless they wanted to show they are capable of blowing series leads. We improved our seeding this year but that's it. The same issues surfaced in the playoffs as last year.

what?  we won 3 playoff road games and it took them 7 games to beat us this time.  Progress!  Trust the Process!  In Cubes I Trust.

edit: and Boban is young at heart.  "youth" is not just defined by age don'cha know.

Edited by dcar00

Years back I remember the Knicks tried to trade KP and THJ to the Pelicans for Anthony Davis and it leaked the Pelicans thought Brandon Ingram, Lonzo and some picks was a better package than KP. Believe AD wanted to go to NY or LA.

Makes me think even a couple years ago franchises saw a 7'3 guy with a major injury and said it wasn't worth the risk. 

Guess I'm just bitter there's THREE years $100 million left on his deal.

At least Kemba Walker turned down Donnie and Cuban.