2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

46 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

It would come down to other teams getting involved and how much Portland would be willing to accommodate Dame's preferred location.

Yep, that's the only way this happens and I still don't believe Dame's preferred destination is going to be Dallas. If this does happen, I'd like to see Dallas get involved to get some draft capital, though. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Richardson, porzingis and a protected first for lillard and nurcic offer is good for 3 minutes take it or leave it best and final. 

Make it Collins instead of Nurk or brunson instead of Richardson and Portland would say yes.

4 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

So Cuban goes on a podcast and discusses the Kidd hire before having a press conference? Do we have the biggest buffoon of an owner in the league? 

Did he say he was gonna pay all the new hires with Dogecoin?

I don’t think he will, but the answer would be because Luka is better than Paul George.
LAC has a better supporting cast though. Dallas has a lot of work to build around Luka. Kawhi obviously pushes us in the top of the West but I have long gave up my hopes for these free agent chases. He's not coming here.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We don’t need to keep repeating this. It’s common knowledge. With Nico and Kidd, I suspect we will be better positioned to attract free agents with Carlisle gone. And if we can’t, like any team with (true) superstars, of course he’ll leave. We dont need to keep repeating it. 

Oh, okay.

A walk down memory land, but frustrating if true. Having Iggy would have been huge in 2013-2018 and could have arguably led to another few years of contention for Dirk. Just kind of reiterates the point that Cuban is the one calling the shots, they've just re-shuffled some chairs. 

6 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:
A walk down memory land, but frustrating if true. Having Iggy would have been huge in 2013-2018 and could have arguably led to another few years of contention for Dirk. Just kind of reiterates the point that Cuban is the one calling the shots, they've just re-shuffled some chairs. 

man that would've been nice.  i don't know if iggy's enough for us to contend though.  we probably would have traded away all our picks through 2020 trying to get the final piece and not have ended up with luka.

and those covers are awesome.  how many did they make? i've seen a few others.

14 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

What I've never understood about Cuban's cap hoarder-worship at the God of uber free agents approach is that his 2 best teams were built with 1 mega star surrounded by a number of players who were 6s & 7s with Jason Terry flashing an occasional 8 in a couple big games.  This year's Atlanta squad is proof positive that approaching the draft with some level of seriousness and not attempting to hit a homerun free agent every offseason can yield great results.  Yet every year it's the same shit with him, bypass quality free agents in hopes of striking it rich with the pipe dream of a Giannis or Kawhi. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

What I've never understood about Cuban's cap hoarder-worship at the God of uber free agents approach is that his 2 best teams were built with 1 mega star surrounded by a number of players who were 6s & 7s with Jason Terry flashing an occasional 8 in a couple big games.  This year's Atlanta squad is proof positive that approaching the draft with some level of seriousness and not attempting to hit a homerun free agent every offseason can yield great results.  Yet every year it's the same shit with him, bypass quality free agents in hopes of striking it rich with the pipe dream of a Giannis or Kawhi. 

The summer sports radio Mavericks talk from 2012-2018 was dire. “Mark and Donnie trade away 13th pick for literally $5 in cap space for an extremely slim chance at Dwight Howard/Deron Williams/old overpriced guard/forward/center in free agency to build around 36 year old Dirk and 37% shooting Monta Ellis.”

kill me.

Cuban should sell the team and drown in doge coin. All DFW sports owners suck outside of Gilardi and he might go broke after covid ruined his main income streams for 9 months. 

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Meh. 80% of NBA championships are won by teams with 2+ superstars. 2011 Mavs are one of the exceptions.

The draft definitely matters for acquiring assets. Flip side is there are teams that have drafted for 20 years and have not found a superstar.

Atlanta is certainly a nice story but they have a < 2% chance at winning the NBA championship. About to be in some serious cap hell after Trae Young gets paid and will have to ditch John Collins, Huerter or one of their other pieces. Honestly think they have peaked unless Cam Reddish or Hunter become incredible.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

that was awful.  Hang zone skewering it on the ticket. 

It was not great. None of them came across looking good. The Nico answer about the roster getting better just from a culture change was cringe-worthy. If he really believes that then we are already in trouble before his tenure starts. 

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

servant leadership.  they had a month to get this shit right, and THATS what we get?

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Forget anything good I said about the Mavs. That press conference was awkward.

They need to make a move quickly when FA opens or this is going to be another shit show. Nico better be tampering the hell out of every target. 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

KP was most affective this season playing the 5.  that's all i have to say about that. 

I don’t disagree. But we’re stuck with him regardless.  Lonzo at least provides some defense, passing, and has become a pretty good 3 pt shooter. He would also be way cheaper. My understanding is we could also afford to sign him and keep THJ which would be nice. 

I don’t disagree. But we’re stuck with him regardless.  Lonzo at least provides some defense, passing, and has become a pretty good 3 pt shooter. He would also be way cheaper. My understanding is we could also afford to sign him and keep THJ which would be nice. 
I was responding to the John Collins question, I should've quoted that. I wouldn't mind Lonzo. I wonder what Spencer dimwiddie would look like in our lineup.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That didn’t bother me. He’s well liked for a reason - there’s little benefit to coming in and skewering the existing roster. That’s not who he is. 

Cuban’s blatant lying about having a policy to not discuss who is on the payroll is just laughable. Hearing that Frankenstein dork say “Cynt” and “JKidd” is cringeworthy, and not stating Harrison has personnel control is infuriating. He is worse than Jerry Jones. 

Doesn’t this belong in the Cuban protest thread?

• Haha 1