2020 - 2021 Dallas Mavericks: That motherfu*ker in Dallas is coming

CBT

Much like players, coaches can improve and develop as the years go by.  Kidd became a HC immediately after he retired. That lack of apprenticeship prior to becoming a head coach definitely limited him and probably instilled a bit a hubris on his part. He famously had a falling out with Lawrence Frank in Brooklyn where he was clearly in the wrong.  Spending time on the Lakers staff assistant where he was probably much more receptive to the back and forth suggestions/discussions of his fellow assistants hopefully gave him some insight into providing a better environment for his future staff. That and the recent success of Nate McMillan and Monty Williams gives me a bit more latitude towards coaches who had poor showings in their previous stops.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Yeah don't know how someone couldn't be worried about Kidd as the coach. 

Thing keeping me somewhat positive is guys like Dame Lillard we're begging the Blazers to go hire Kidd. Guess players like him? Thought Carlisle was a great tactician but he rubbed a lot of players around the NBA the wrong way. Recruitment is half the battle these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Anyone not affiliated with the Mavs that isn’t a dictator and more of a players coach. The Kidd hire and reliance upon Dirk and Fin just reeks of incest comfort hires and getting Dirk and Fin involved is purely to sell it to the public. 

It will not end well with Kidd. It will end sooner than his contract stipulates. But, if he can attract a Dame to go along with Luka, and teach Luka a few things that Carlisle couldn’t, it could be worth it. 

I just hate Cuban and will generally be dismissive of most of his moves until proven otherwise, like perhaps with Nico. 

Agreed. These hires are a few things. One, pulling on the heartstrings of fans. Kidd was here early in his career and then won a title with us. A fan favorite. Finley is also a big favorite. Many will see those names and not give a shit about their experience or talent and be happy. It's also Cuban hiring guys who he knows will never stand up to him in any real way and will be yes men. Comfort hires as you said. Cuban does not want an outside voice in here to shake anything up. He wants guys who will tow the line and won't speak up. I suspect Cuban and his cronies will still be heavily involved in the draft, roster construction and offseason moves. Finley will be a figure head to appease the fans.

At least in Milwaukee, Kidd gave a lot of responsibilities to his assistants like Sean Sweeney. He either delivers results or he's out in a year or two. The fired in 1 season scenario would be missing the playoffs with everyone healthy.

Lots of organizations keep former players around. The Suns hired a former player as their GM. Plenty of others in Finleys role.

Excited about Nico at least. Agents and guys in the "in crew" run the league. 

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

The reality is there just isn’t any home run coaching hires available right now. Anybody you get will either be an unknown with no head coaching experience or a retread with not much prior success.

I think Kidd has more potential to be a good hire than y’all are giving him credit for. If Luka likes him and can find him relatable then that’s probably most important.

PS- the gif of Kidd telling his player to bump into him so he can spill the ice was actually genius, considering they were outta timeouts.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Would love if Nico could convince guys like Reggie Jackson to sign for $2 million a year. That's criminal LAC got him for so cheap.

Just came to post this thread.  It really adds color into a part of the business fans like us don't consider at first glance.  

1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:

These are actually outstanding moves by Kidd. In the 1st one he creates a timeout when the team doesn't have one and in the 2nd video he draws a tech on the opposing teams' coach in a 2pt game with about a minute left to play.  A coach who can think on his feet and whom hopefully polished off some of his other issues while working under Vogel. 

Can't remember the podcast, but because it was Jared Dudley I'm going to say it was Zach Lowe who routinely does a yearly post season interview with Jared Dudley because he's exceptionally engaging for a bball player and often unveils behind the scenes stuff people like to hear .  Anyway he was talking about Vogul and the Lakers staff after the first season with Lebron and how well prepared they were. He specifically described an early season scouting session where Lebron was so damn impressed he literally stood up and started clapping after the session and repeated "that's a good fucking scout. Damn good scout.  God damn, that's a good scout!!" over and over.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well that seems weird but aren't the most successful head coaches right now former players? Nate McMillen, Ty Lue, Monty Williams.

3/4 teams left have head coaches that played in the NBA. Guys like Lebron and Dame Lillard love Jason Kidd. 

The name of the game is acquiring talent. Sure x's and o's matter but not like the NFL. Rick Carlisle was considered a great tactician but the Mavs didn't get out of the 1st round for a decade because they lacked the players.

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Get 3&D guys, ditch KP probably in a year or two, hope for star #2. 

Recruit the one year contract (or buyout) guys like Reggie Jackson hoping for a bigger deal down the road. 

Not a fan of Kidd but coaches get fired after 1 season all the time if they fail. 

this.  it really only matters if big time free agents want to play for Kidd and with Doncic and Nico can convince them to come.  they obviously didn't want to play for  cuban, carlisle, and nelson couldn't convince them.

the Nico play is Cuban admitting that he couldn't bring the bacon home in FA...which gives me hope.  just cut the fucking checks.

Over the last nine years, no coach that did not have Lebron, Kawhi, or Steph won a NBA championship. The NBA is a players league and over the last 22 years the Mavs couldn't recruit anyone. Were just incredibly lucky to have a loyal superstar like Dirk. Time will tell but hard to be mad about the Nico hire.

NBA teams mostly all just run the same things on offense. Have a couple guys that can collapse a defense and get an easy basket or kick it out for 3. You either have the talent or you don't. 

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Over the last nine years, no coach that did not have Lebron, Kawhi, or Steph won a NBA championship. The NBA is a players league and over the last 22 years the Mavs couldn't recruit anyone. Were just incredibly lucky to have a loyal superstar like Dirk. Time will tell but hard to be mad about the Nico hire.

NBA teams mostly all just run the same things on offense. Have a couple guys that can collapse a defense and get an easy basket or kick it out for 3. You either have the talent or you don't. 

I like Jake but he's starting getting on my nerves with this bullshit he's been spinning.  There's situational sets and roster adjustments that require acumen that your top tier coaches routinely exhibit. With each passing game during these playoffs Budenholzer (among others) reveals himself to be woefully lacking so this notion that coaches just roll the ball out without any demonstrable effect on the game is nonsense.  

13 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I like Jake but he's starting getting on my nerves with this bullshit he's been spinning.  There's situational sets and roster adjustments that require acumen that your top tier coaches routinely exhibit. With each passing game during these playoffs Budenholzer (among others) reveals himself to be woefully lacking so this notion that coaches just roll the ball out without any demonstrable effect on the game is nonsense.  

See my post on Lebron, Kawhi, or Steph winning ALL the championships over the last nine years. Talent wins. You either have the elite guys or you don't.

Main problem with the Bucks is Khris Middleton is the #2 and he lays an egg sometimes. Did Coach Bud tell Middleton to shoot 0/9 from 3 in Game 1?

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Outgoing Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle suggested and promoted Kidd for his old job when speaking to Tim MacMahon of ESPN about taking the Pacers’ head coaching position.

“My hope is that Jason Kidd will be the next coach of the Mavs because he and Luka have so many things in common as players,” Carlisle said. “I just think that it would be a great situation for Luka, and I think it would be an amazing situation for Jason. I’m the only person on the planet that’s coached both of those guys and that knows about all of their special qualities as basketball players. To me, that just would be a great marriage, but that’s just an opinion.”