2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This aged well. Of course the Timberwolves had to face a loaded Wizard team because they rested Westbrook.

It's a little depressing how the rest of his career is going to go. Westbrook is fun to bag on, but the NBA is still undoubtedly a better league when he's playing at a high level. Triple-double hunting on a bad team seems to be the most expected outcome though.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

I sort of get hating on Howard, but hating on all of these centers that will never, ever be mentioned in the same breath as him is a little weird.

Wasn't the Howard hate at least partially based on the stupid 'Superman' nickname. 

23 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That comment is not hating on Gobert. He's mocking the Jazz management for spending 200 mega bucks on a dude that averages 10 pts a game. Not a swipe at Gobert at all.

I dunno. Mocking management for paying Rudy that much is, basically saying that Rudy isn't worth that much. Rudy might feel different about that. Seems kind of salty to me.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That comment is not hating on Gobert. He's mocking the Jazz management for spending 200 mega bucks on a dude that averages 10 pts a game. Not a swipe at Gobert at all.

I mean, I made the same comment a couple of pages ago, but I'm not an ex-player. I would bet Gobert took it a little personally 

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Yes, it is understandable to not like someone for growing up in the exact circumstances your children are growing up in.  Makes perfect sense.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

They are thinking about it from their perspective, not their kids perspective. 
you can do all you want for your kids and still be jealous of someone else. 
Also, is it all socioeconomic or could there be a racial component. Both in Steph himself and in the fawning coverage he gets from the media- when he’s not as black as they are?  Finally, as great as Steph is I’d argue he has a punchable face. So there’s that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They are thinking about it from their perspective, not their kids perspective. 
you can do all you want for your kids and still be jealous of someone else. 
Also, is it all socioeconomic or could there be a racial component. Both in Steph himself and in the fawning coverage he gets from the media- when he’s not as black as they are?  Finally, as great as Steph is I’d argue he has a punchable face. So there’s that. 

I’m not gonna get into the conversation about black people and how they view each other, because I don’t understand it enough.  I had a girl work for me a few years ago, really nice black girl.  I tried to set her up with a friend of mine, who happened to be a really nice black guy.  She asked me for a picture, she looked at it and immediately said no.  Too light skinned for her taste, and the guy was darker than Steph.  I really don’t get it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m not gonna get into the conversation about black people and how they view each other, because I don’t understand it enough.  I had a girl work for me a few years ago, really nice black girl.  I tried to set her up with a friend of mine, who happened to be a really nice black guy.  She asked me for a picture, she looked at it and immediately said no.  Too light skinned for her taste, and the guy was darker than Steph.  I really don’t get it.

No idea. Not claiming it as actual just wondering if there is an additional component. LBJ gets takes about in racially coded language in a way that Steph doesn’t. Maybe they grates on him. I don’t know. 
Steph is universally shit on by former players as well was current players. Maybe there something he’s doing. Maybe not. But I know that tweet will be noted for sure. 

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Also, is it all socioeconomic or could there be a racial component. Both in Steph himself and in the fawning coverage he gets from the media- when he’s not as black as they are?

This is absolutely a thing and there have been stories leaked in the past about exactly what you're talking about. You might be thinking of it subconsciously. I'd try and dig up what I'm thinking of but I don't really want to get into this - just wanted to affirm you.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

The NBA is a more interesting place when Steph is cooking.

Absolutely. Part of why it was so dull and a ratings disaster last year was no KD and Steph. Arguably two top 3 players and certainly two of the most polarizing figures from a fan standpoint.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No idea. Not claiming it as actual just wondering if there is an additional component. LBJ gets takes about in racially coded language in a way that Steph doesn’t. Maybe they grates on him. I don’t know. 
Steph is universally shit on by former players as well was current players. Maybe there something he’s doing. Maybe not. But I know that tweet will be noted for sure. 

The players are pretty well known to be jealous bitches (see every all-star vote ever). Steph was the NBA's golden child for over 5 years, despite not being the best player in the league, and often not the best player on his team. Of course a lot of guys think he took some of their shine (namely LeBron, CP3, and Russ...the latter two he had no problem punking all on his own). Combine that with the socioeconomic and racial stuff, and Steph having a brash, showboating personality on the court, and they--and a lot of the media--have been waiting patiently for him to be on a bad team, so the can gleefully point and say, "See, he ain't all that!" It is what it is.

Also, I don't think former players shit on Steph nearly as much. Guys like MJ and AI love the dude.

People also like Steph because he is the greatest shooter in NBA history by a wide margin. When he gets hot it is a thing of beauty. Much more elegant than LBJ ramming it down people’s throats.

When he was at his peak, he was the best player in the league. To say otherwise is revisionist history.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There's something to some of the anti-Steph stuff with some in the NBA.  Kind of a corporate darling, and certainly some jealousy out there and even racial undertones.  I even think some of the treatment of Steph by the media/fan base, and even the Warriors organization drove Durant away (maybe not the main reason, but likely part of it) from the Warriors, although that was a losing battle for him.  Curry will always be like Derek Jeter with Durant being Alex Rodriguez for the Warriors fan base.  (to me a reasonable parallel with A-Rod coming to the Yankees)  I think LeBron has been the best player in the league for quite a while, but I definitely think one can at least argue that Steph might have been the best player in the league in 2016.  He certainly put up an offensive season that was just incredible.  I also think children especially can enjoy pretending to be him in ways that isn't quite the same with these super tall/long athletes that seem otherworldly.  Even bright young kids at a certain age can know they aren't that kind of body, but Steph is so much more accessible for say fantasy roleplaying/scenarios on the court that way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, HookEm said:

People also like Steph because he is the greatest shooter in NBA history by a wide margin. When he gets hot it is a thing of beauty. Much more elegant than LBJ ramming it down people’s throats.

When he was at his peak, he was the best player in the league. To say otherwise is revisionist history.

The threes he made to get to 59 and 62 last night we such classic, vintage heat check mode Steph. Definitely has been missed the past 18 months. It wasn't quite the same as it would have been with a rocking full arena--or a silent one with opposing fans with their mouths open in disbelief--but it was a lot of fun. 

It's gotta be an adjustment for someone who feeds off the crowd's energy and wants to put on a show as much as him. Hopefully, last night was a big step towards returning to normal Steph.

Just now, d2o said:

So sick of Shaq and his hating just to stay relevant

Hey remember when he touched a bunch of microphones and made fun of Covid and then found out he had Covid and the season got shut down. That was hilarious.

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

hahahahaha.........it goes back to slavery.............like pretty much errthing else but that's for another thread.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Hey remember when he touched a bunch of microphones and made fun of Covid and then found out he had Covid and the season got shut down. That was hilarious.

He was an asshole for that for sure.   Shaq has been an asshole about this and many other things.   Both can be and are true.

Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30652033/sources-kevin-durant-facing-7-day-quarantine-due-covid-19-exposure%3fplatform=amp

I would have to imagine if they're going to be this strict about it the playoffs are going to need to be bubbled again, right?

Edited by ztejas

19 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

They all hate Steph because he grew up rich.  Which is odd because that’s exactly what their kids are doing.

It's a little more nuanced than that. The criticism/hate Steph receives from some of his brethren has more to do with the love he receives from mainstream America for fitting a certain archetype and model of the all American guy. Also Steph is the guy who cracked the code of not having to be an uber-athlete to become a star which is always going to receive pushback due to being the most recent iteration of this type of player. And then again like you said growing up rich probably also factors in a little as well, but then again there are a number of other sons of NBA players in the league so I don't think it's all that big of a deal.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's a little more nuanced than that. The criticism/hate Steph receives from some of his brethren has more to do with the love he receives from mainstream America for fitting a certain archetype and model of the all American guy. Also Steph is the guy who cracked the code of not having to be an uber-athlete to become a star which is always going to receive pushback due to being the most recent iteration of this type of player. And then again like you said growing up rich probably also factors in a little as well, but then again there are a number of other sons of NBA players in the league so I don't think it's all that big of a deal.  

I don’t disagree with anything you said here.

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

Thanks for posting these. I feel like these videos get lost in the 20-21 NBA discussion though. Maybe we need a separate old school NBA thread? There was a lot of good discussion during the MJ documentary on that whole era as well. 

It's interesting to look back at Robinson having watched his entire career up close and personal. His take about how valuable David would have been as a second banana scorer is super insightful. David took a lot of shit for not being able to push the Spurs over the hump, but they never built a great roster around him until they lucked into Duncan. And even then, it wasn't like that team was stacked beyond those two. Of course, they were so dominant together especially on defense that it didn't matter. That poor fuck spent half his career with zero spacing from Avery Johnson, the worst shooting point guard in the history of the NBA. That's something that he didn't mention directly. It's one thing to not have a second or front line scorer next to you, it's entirely another when you are actually handicapped by your teammates.

He touched on the Olajuwon deal and how David always played him one on one while Houston would double the shit out of David at the other end. You know why? Because the Spurs had no one to punish you on the perimeter. The Rockets -- and jesus they were fucking boring to watch -- would dump it into Hakeem, spread the shit out of you and line up shooters at the three point line and dare you to double or get called for an illegal defense. The Spurs were just never equipped to play that way. I don't think they would have been as effective as Houston was anyway because Hakeem was so sick in the post, but they at least would have given David a fighting chance if they had a point guard who could knock down an open 15 footer ,much less one who could actually hit a three pointer.

Also, that Karl Malone slap down at 6:30 gave me PTSD. Fuck Karl Malone with Derek Fisher's dick.

• Hook 'Em 1