2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean, that would line up with the timeline I gave. And gambling doesn't necessarily equal drinking.

Either way he was still dominating. I think it's less of an indictment on the era and more of an example of how good he was. 

Cmon man.    The dude that loves liquor and cigars was not doing either in a place that its customary to do both??

I'm not sure what this tangent is actually about anyway but he was definitely drinking.   Saying anything different is ludicrous

Edited by d2o

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

Cmon man.    The dude that loves liquor and cigars was not doing either in a place that its customary to do both??

I'm not sure what this tangent is actually about anyway but he was definitely drinking.   Saying anything different is ludicrous

We can get caught up in nuance all day. The hills I will die on are:

1. His drinking wasn't a thing until at least after their first title.

2. He was not showing up drunk to playoff games.

The earliest I can find anything about him partying on or before game days is 1992. I know he wasn't into it at all when he came into the league, and I seriously doubt he was getting hammered before or after games when they were getting their ass beat by the Pistons in '89 and '90. There is a huge gulf between being drunk at tipoff and having a few beers post-game in the locker room.

Also - the venn diagram between alcoholics and gambling addicts is probably larger on either side than it is in the middle. They may often go hand in hand but they are pretty different vices.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We can get caught up in nuance all day. The hills I will die on are:

1. His drinking wasn't a thing until at least after their first title.

2. He was not showing up drunk to playoff games.

The earliest I can find anything about him partying on or before game days is 1992. I know he wasn't into it at all when he came into the league, and I seriously doubt he was getting hammered before or after games when they were getting their ass beat by the Pistons in '89 and '90. There is a huge gulf between being drunk at tipoff and having a few beers post-game in the locker room.

Also - the venn diagram between alcoholics and gambling addicts is probably larger on either side than it is in the middle. They may often go hand in hand but they are pretty different vices.

One doesn't have to be an alcoholic in order to have drinks and cigars while gambling but the 3 go hand in hand.    I dont think he was drunk during games.    I do think he had to be at least mildly hungover in the instance that I posted since he was out until 1AM or so and the game was at 12:30 the next day.

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Right, we're supposed to believe the true goat was the most insanely psychotic human being ever about practicing, being prepared, and holding teammates accountable, while also simultaneously believing that he played golf, got drunk, and smoked cigars all day before playing in playoff games.

This might be the dumbest post in the history of Surly

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

period. he was doing that shit as hard as he possibly could in Monte Carlo (36 holes a day and then gambling until 4 am, drinking and smoking cigars the entire time) and he was still the most bright eyes and bushy tailed dude at 8am practice, not to mention still the best player on the court among the freaking Dream Team, even after all that. MJ was seriously different. 

Yeah but i mean i just think its funny how he, as a rookie, said he walked out of the party situation, couldn't be there. Then as he got older, he became that guy it seems. 

Either way it doesn't really set a great example, and i would kind of not think much of someone's leadership if they were holding me to a certain standard and meanwhile they were staying out all night and gambling before a big game. And it didn't work when his team wasn't winning, just ask any of his Wizards teammates.

16 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah but i mean i just think its funny how he, as a rookie, said he walked out of the party situation, couldn't be there. Then as he got older, he became that guy it seems. 

Either way it doesn't really set a great example, and i would kind of not think much of someone's leadership if they were holding me to a certain standard and meanwhile they were staying out all night and gambling before a big game. And it didn't work when his team wasn't winning, just ask any of his Wizards teammates.

To be fair, that was a coke party.    I don't think he has ever got down like that.

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

To be fair, that was a coke party.    I don't think he has ever got down like that.

Nah probably not. It's probably all a bit overblown really, more the myths around the legend type of stuff.

But i don't believe the pizza story from the flu game. Something else had to have happened there.

Edited by Pam Cummings

14 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nah probably not. It's probably all a bit overblown really, more the myths around the legend type of stuff.

But i don't believe the pizza story from the flu game. Something else had to have happened there.

Orlando Woolridge had a coke problem.  Half of the NBA did in the mid-80’s.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

what a fucking performance by Joel Embiid. just bullied and dominated the Bulls in every way tonight. that last shot to put the game away was ridiculous. what can't he do?

final: 50 pts, 17 reb, 5 ast, 4 blk, 2 stl

the big man talent in this league is unbelievable and he's one of the 2 or 3 best.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what a fucking performance by Joel Embiid. just bullied and dominated the Bulls in every way tonight. that last shot to put the game away was ridiculous. what can't he do?

final: 50 pts, 17 reb, 5 ast, 4 blk, 2 stl

the big man talent in this league is unbelievable and he's one of the 2 or 3 best.

He will be the best player in the league when he chooses to be. That might be this season based on what he’s done so far. 

It began when Turner received an unusual message from a disgruntled fan after Monday's overtime loss to the Chicago Bulls. The fan sent a $100 Venmo request to Turner -- not once, but three times -- blaming him for the loss.

Turner typically doesn't respond to internet trolls, but this time he engaged and countered with a payment of 1 cent.

"Here's a penny for your thoughts," Turner wrote in a return message.

The fan shared the payment via Twitter, and it gained traction. Random fans then began sending in payments to Turner, who said as of Friday night he had received about $3,500.

Turner, the NBA's leading shot-blocker, now says he will keep it going for something positive. He said he will match any donations to assist those affected by the Texas power outage.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30932247/indiana-pacers-myles-turner-turns-troll-attempt-texas-fundraiser

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

He started 0/10 so maybe he was taking out a little frustration.

Regardless, he's shown enough this year to make me think he will stick in the NBA. It's a little hard to gauge just because the TWolves are so awful, but it's not uncommon for even future all-stars to have a poor shooting rookie season - esp. at the guard spot. 

He’s been fun to watch when I’ve tuned in. He’s got a smooth stroke and insane athleticism. Dudes only 19 and averages 15 a game. He has some real bad nights but it’s expected. I’m pretty excited about him. Now we need some lotto magic or else our pick could go to golden state...blah. The DLO experiment has been a catastrophic failure.

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He’s been fun to watch when I’ve tuned in. He’s got a smooth stroke and insane athleticism. Dudes only 19 and averages 15 a game. He has some real bad nights but it’s expected. I’m pretty excited about him. Now we need some lotto magic or else our pick could go to golden state...blah. The DLO experiment has been a catastrophic failure.

And he has the worst hair in the league.lord farquaad shrek GIF

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Hilarious if the Nets scoop him up.

After him basically saying "fuck James Harden"  last month I can't see him going to the Nets.    My money is on him going back to the Lakers.   They treated him pretty well last yr after he couldn't play and they had to release him.   I'd bet he thinks he has unfinished business in LA.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

This is a pretty bad look for MIN.   The org continues to fuck up.   This means they had a deal in place before they even fired Saunders.    I mean from the start Saunders was just a cute story cause of his dad but there was really not much justification for him to be the coach.  Even still, you don't do a guy like that.      Doing that and signing Finch to a multi-yr deal without openly interviewing anyone else just all stinks.

This is a pretty bad look for MIN.   The org continues to fuck up.   This means they had a deal in place before they even fired Saunders.    I mean from the start Saunders was just a cute story cause of his dad but there was really not much justification for him to be the coach.  Even still, you don't do a guy like that.      Doing that and signing Finch to a multi-yr deal without openly interviewing anyone else just all stinks.

Saunders is Glen Taylor’s guy because he’s in the country club. Now that it turns out Saunders might be the worst coach in franchise history, it reflects bad.

Finch must be Rosas’ ride or die. No signs of improvement this season into next then both will probably be canned some time in 2022. Such is life

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so I'll cross post it a few places, but does anyone do anything with non-fungible tokens, specifically NBA TOP SHOT? From what I understand it's like cryptocurrency (powered by blockchain) but for basketball trading cards. I bought the cheapest Luka Doncic (assist) and a Joel Embiid on a whim just now after reading about it twice today, after never having heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

https://www.nbatopshot.com/

Edited by DonkeyCigars

I can't help but root for Chris Paul at this point in his career. I remember watching him try and get (and almost getting) that spare parts OKC team past Houston last year (at 35 years old) and it reminding me just how much of an all time great he really is despite rarely getting credit for it. He's never gotten over the hump and has had a laundry list of injuries that haven't helped, but he's only ever made every team he's played for markedly better. 

I guess I choose now to bring it up because I'm checking box scores and CP had 2 points on 1/9 shooting with 3 rebounds, 9 assists, a steal and 2 turnovers tonight and yet Phoenix beat the absolute piss out of the 5th place Blazers. I don't know how many other players can make their team better on both sides of the court while shooting 1 of 9 from the field but it's a short list. 

He's one of the best true point guards ever, one of the best 6 foot nothing guys ever, and it feels like the NBA will hardly miss him at all when he's gone. 

Maybe that's what he gets for being a cunt one too many times, but I can still appreciate his career. He will be a phenomenal head coach if he wants to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I can't help but root for Chris Paul at this point in his career. I remember watching him try and get (and almost getting) that spare parts OKC team past Houston last year (at 35 years old) and it reminding me just how much of an all time great he really is despite rarely getting credit for it. He's never gotten over the hump and has had a laundry list of injuries that haven't helped, but he's only ever made every team he's played for markedly better. 

I guess I choose now to bring it up because I'm checking box scores and CP had 2 points on 1/9 shooting with 3 rebounds, 9 assists, a steal and 2 turnovers tonight and yet Phoenix beat the absolute piss out of the 5th place Blazers. I don't know how many other players can make their team better on both sides of the court while shooting 1 of 9 from the field but it's a short list. 

He's one of the best true point guards ever, one of the best 6 foot nothing guys ever, and it feels like the NBA will hardly miss him at all when he's gone. 

Maybe that's what he gets for being a cunt one too many times, but I can still appreciate his career. He will be a phenomenal head coach if he wants to be. 

Counterpoint:  he’s on a new team of mostly young guys and they haven’t learned to hate him yet.  There are definitely two sides to the Chris Paul debate, and I’m not sure where I come down on it.  As far as coaching, if he’s a demanding mf’er as a player, how do you think he will act as a coach when he can no longer directly control what’s happening on the court?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Llogg said:

You can't mention cp3 dragging okc into the playoffs last year and not comment on the absolutely Herculean job Dame is doing pulling this injury riddled dog shit team the blazers have into playoff contention.

I don't know what Dame has to do with CP. I'm surprised at where Portland is in the standings myself. Dame is great and he's always been a media darling and fan favorite. 

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

I can easily find myself rooting against Chris Paul. He hasn't been a cunt one too many times, he's been a cunt his entire career -- chronic cuntitis. Literally, since college when he punched that dude for NC State in the jewels, he has been a cunt. Great, great player. I mean, a phenomenal basketball player. He will probably go down as the #4 or #5 point guard of all time by the time he's finished. But fuck him. I hope he never gets a ring.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can easily find myself rooting against Chris Paul. He hasn't been a cunt one too many times, he's been a cunt his entire career -- chronic cuntitis. Literally, since college when he punched that dude for NC State in the jewels, he has been a cunt. Great, great player. I mean, a phenomenal basketball player. He will probably go down as the #4 or #5 point guard of all time by the time he's finished. But fuck him. I hope he never gets a ring.

Yeah-  but you’d root for him over the clippers, right?  

Edited by Wulaw Horn