Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

I agree with Pescado on 5wt for freshwater trout.  I use a 5wt on the Guad for trout and had no issues landing fish up to 23 inches.

I also agree with recommendations of TFO rods.  I have 5-6 TFOs from 2wt to 8wt and a couple breakdown spin cast rods.  TFO make good rods at decent prices.  TFO's customer service and warranty is awesome.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What do the trout guides in Texas fish? Hare’s ear and copper john get it done down there?

On the Guad - all water guides use 5/6 wt and almost all set ups are deep water nymph set ups. I ran 2-3 fly set ups today, 8 anglers around me, 2 fish caught, I was second place with a legit bite. Some dudes near me were Colorado  style surface only. Yeah that shit don’t work down here often. Pretty sure it’s 4x or 5x leader and tippet. The smaller the nymphs often the better.  Worms and girdle bugs even larger emergers can help get their attention but the small nymphs almost dragging the bottom are what they take. The various types escape me, I’ve got a few in my fly box I just use them. All I know is smaller is better. I will say the Guad is about to be over fished. There were 8-10 anglers on a 200 yard stretch today after 2pm. Nuts. 

Edited by troph

On 2/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, troph said:

My mental health has taken a real beating this winter and that’s for another thread (or not). Tonight we fight back. Fishing alone tomorrow just me and my thoughts, Guad might only be a poor facsimile of Colorado trout fishing but it’s what we got. I’m prepping lines tonight, single malt and the venerable singer song writer Brandi Carlisle on the head phones. 

8E40F2B3-CFE9-46C3-8959-9E03A8C03758.jpeg

My sister-in-law’s life is a shit show. When she got in the habit of dumping off her kids at our house and disappearing for days at a time, whatever weekend plans my wife and I had were nixed. Over and over. Rather than murdering someone, I would get up early, play “Crowded Table”, remind myself not to be such a selfish asshole, and start making chocolate chip pancakes with lots of chocolate chips, as the kids requested. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, troph said:

On the Guad - all water guides use 5/6 wt and almost all set ups are deep water nymph set ups. I ran 2-3 fly set ups today, 8 anglers around me, 2 fish caught, I was second place with a legit bite. Some dudes near me were Colorado  style surface only. Yeah that shit don’t work down here often. Pretty sure it’s 4x or 5x leader and tippet. The smaller the nymphs often the better.  Worms and girdle bugs even larger emergers can help get their attention but the small nymphs almost dragging the bottom are what they take. The various types escape me, I’ve got a few in my fly box I just use them. All I know is smaller is better. I will say the Guad is about to be over fished. There were 8-10 anglers on a 200 yard stretch today after 2pm. Nuts. 

I have fly boxes filled with various trout flies.  I always have hundreds of varieties with me when fishing.  I rarely use anything but a black #22 Spanflex midge under an orange or yellow egg.  About the only time I change is when I get tired of nymph fishing - then I'll tie on a streamer.  

7 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

My sister-in-law’s life is a shit show. When she got in the habit of dumping off her kids at our house and disappearing for days at a time, whatever weekend plans my wife and I had were nixed. Over and over. Rather than murdering someone, I would get up early, play “Crowded Table”, remind myself not to be such a selfish asshole, and start making chocolate chip pancakes with lots of chocolate chips, as the kids requested. 

Know how I know you're either a really good dad or will be one someday?

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I have fly boxes filled with various trout flies.  I always have hundreds of varieties with me when fishing.  I rarely use anything but a black #22 Spanflex midge under an orange or yellow egg.  About the only time I change is when I get tired of nymph fishing - then I'll tie on a streamer.  

eggs and bright worms seem to be the best attention grabbers on my own and with guides the last 3 years.  I've caught on both but its usually (in your case) the #22 midge they take.  I've been too high in the subsurface water table/structure and missed 5 drifts in a row.  lowered it more and boom, bite first drift down the same area once I lowered it. it makes for more complicated set ups which is nice knot tying practice I guess.

Edited by troph

20 hours ago, troph said:

Where do you fish - by Hueco Springs?  My buddy went last week before the freeze and there was only a couple guys there he saw.  

42 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Where do you fish - by Hueco Springs?  My buddy went last week before the freeze and there was only a couple guys there he saw.  

usually float, I don't have a trout unlimited license so if I wade by the amiptheatre or rio, I was at rio yesterday.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Ah, that makes sense.  He got there early in the morning and it was pretty cold.  

I was going for the twilight bite yesterday. Fish were popping for sure. They still don’t take top water though. Twilights hard you can’t see well. Morning bite is good I caught 3 12-14+ inchers before 9:30am my last float trip just past rio’s ramp. How did he do? 

Edited by troph

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I was going for the twilight bite yesterday. Fish were popping for sure. They still don’t take top water though. Twilights hard you can’t see well. Morning bite is good I caught 3 12-14+ inchers before 9:30am my last float trip just past rio’s ramp. How did he do? 

Caught one small one.  He’s used to fishing in California though.  I don’t fly fish personally, it’s one of those things I just haven’t gotten. I do really light tackle with buoyant spoons.  I can show you some really cool old fly stuff from my gramps.

18 mas Pez velas today but no mas marlin. The only one we raised today was blind or regarded, absolutely crashed a short rigger bait but completely missed then paddled back and crashed it again. Missed again and faded off. I’m like dude, you’ve got one job.

Didnt take much in the way of videos today but here’s a short sailfish clip

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, troph said:

I'm going with my friend Friday morning - we plan to be there before 7 and fish a couple hours...

• Drool 1

17 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ll fish with you any time.

I just bought a new pair of waders, on a whim, hopefully the socks fit in my boots without bunching up because knowing my buddy I’m gonna be walking a far piece.  If you’re gonna be there shoot me a note and we can say hi.  Just an add on, we’ve both fished with your brother a couple of times so it’s all family.  Doc can tell you I have like 3 states. Unebriated, which is normal for me and I’m kinda antisocial but not standoffish, inebriated where I’m very social and probably somewhat annoying, and then fucked up where I might piss in a fireplace, break someone’s camp chair or do other untoward things that embarrass me afterwards.  Sometimes you get all three and I’ll drive you home afterward.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Thing is, it doesn’t matter who did it, just that we all have been at ground zero, so there is no judgment.  We all have the same objective and character, so let’s catch some fish.  

No offense taken, after life’s many twists and turns I remember such times fondly. It’s indeed a privilege. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, troph said:

I’ll fish with you any time.

Today was a good day.  We got a late start, started at Hueco Springs and it was pretty dead there so we ended up at L&L.  There were fish at the Devils Playground, I caught and released 3, all shy of the required 18”, my buddy only caught 1.  Gorgeous weather though, not a ton of people in the spots we were which was nice.

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Today was a good day.  We got a late start, started at Hueco Springs and it was pretty dead there so we ended up at L&L.  There were fish at the Devils Playground, I caught and released 3, all shy of the required 18”, my buddy only caught 1.  Gorgeous weather though, not a ton of people in the spots we were which was nice.

Guad in the winter is a great slump buster, glad it was a good day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Critiques welcome…  gotta get my knots right, this bitch is gonna catch a GT and send a pic to that Florida tarpon guide with a nana-nana-boo-boo pose for his ass.  jk I don't really care... about him, I desperately care to catch the GT tho.

prepping for my GT trip, working with my 12 wt and 130 lb fluorocarbon leader.  Researching looks like improved Homer Rhode knot is a fav. Some attach the leader to both the fly line and the fly with it. Sound like an ok idea to you salties?  man that last overhand sure as shit doesn't want to tighten down, seems secure though, just that 130 lb is fatter than a sailing line.

another question - I read some break the loop that comes with the fly line and instead create their own, either a perfection loop or maybe another improved homer rhode knot.

thoughts?

pic with gratuitous fly pics included…

104E43E9-F3E4-4F44-8FB9-AF18BAA1F408.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Critiques welcome…  gotta get my knots right, this bitch is gonna catch a GT and send a pic to that Florida tarpon guide with a nana-nana-boo-boo pose for his ass.  jk I don't really care... about him, I desperately care to catch the GT tho.
prepping for my GT trip, working with my 12 wt and 130 lb fluorocarbon leader.  Researching looks like improved Homer Rhode knot is a fav. Some attach the leader to both the fly line and the fly with it. Sound like an ok idea to you salties?  man that last overhand sure as shit doesn't want to tighten down, seems secure though, just that 130 lb is fatter than a sailing line.
another question - I read some break the loop that comes with the fly line and instead create their own, either a perfection loop or maybe another improved homer rhode knot.
thoughts?
pic with gratuitous fly pics included…

104E43E9-F3E4-4F44-8FB9-AF18BAA1F408.thumb.jpeg.bfb1de5a4b9925ac50ef20a32e31c5a3.jpeg
Yeah, I don't trust the loop at the end of the line. I'd tie the leader directly to the line.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I broke the welded loop on a Scientific Angler Amplitude fly line on a big tarpon. Last of the fly line going out looped over my wrist and snagged the reel knob and I couldn't get it lose. Probably a 120 lb fish, and a Straight 80lb Fluro leader. Almost pulled me off the bow of the boat before the fly line loop gave out. I still have nightmares about losing that fish. I'm going to go back to tying a short section of 80 lb to the fly line with a nail knot or snell knot. Like a foot of leader, with a loop knot on the other end. Then you can go loop to loop with your fishing leaders for quick change.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I broke the welded loop on a Scientific Angler Amplitude fly line on a big tarpon. Last of the fly line going out looped over my wrist and snagged the reel knob and I couldn't get it lose. Probably a 120 lb fish, and a Straight 80lb Fluro leader. Almost pulled me off the bow of the boat before the fly line loop gave out. I still have nightmares about losing that fish. I'm going to go back to tying a short section of 80 lb to the fly line with a nail knot or snell knot. Like a foot of leader, with a loop knot on the other end. Then you can go loop to loop with your fishing leaders for quick change.  

that's an easy knot. doesn't look like it would hold!!!  crazy.  I can totally do that to the end of my fly line.  but he was knocking the loop knots all together?  you still use one? 

bottomline it for me ...  12 wt fly line (without the manufactured loop) {{{WHAT KNOT HERE}}} leader {{{9 FEET}}} attached to the fly with {{{WHAT KNOT HERE}}}

I'm actually assuming no tippet since it's just one fly at the end, no split shot.

good for a nasty, nasty fight...

Edited by troph

11 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

There is also a version where you use a needle to run the butt leader up through the hollow center of flyline then do a snell or nail knot.  I think it was covered the Kreh's saltwater flyfishing book.  The bottom of this pic shows the result of that method.  

fernandez_connections_2.jpg

10 minutes ago, davidg said:

There is also a version where you use a needle to run the butt leader up through the hollow center of flyline then do a snell or nail knot.  I think it was covered the Kreh's saltwater flyfishing book.  The bottom of this pic shows the result of that method.  

fernandez_connections_2.jpg

that's what's on the video. edit nevermind you're saying something else.

Edited by troph

I'm going to the coast to fly fish for reds, jacks, ladyfish in the bay and surf this coming weekend, if the weather holds up.  I think I'm going to use one of these knots on my 8wt.  fly to short leader section with that nail knot and loop to loop like you said.

still need to talk through my 12 wt rigging. 

14 hours ago, troph said:

that's an easy knot. doesn't look like it would hold!!!  crazy.  I can totally do that to the end of my fly line.  but he was knocking the loop knots all together?  you still use one? 

bottomline it for me ...  12 wt fly line (without the manufactured loop) {{{WHAT KNOT HERE}}} leader {{{9 FEET}}} attached to the fly with {{{WHAT KNOT HERE}}}

I'm actually assuming no tippet since it's just one fly at the end, no split shot.

good for a nasty, nasty fight...

I don't like loop to loop connections when fishing long casts because it puts a hinge in the line.  Doesn't matter for nymphing for trout or short casts for whites, etc. 

You want a tippet - otherwise you eat up your leader with every fly change.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I don't like loop to loop connections when fishing long casts because it puts a hinge in the line.  Doesn't matter for nymphing for trout or short casts for whites, etc. 

You want a tippet - otherwise you eat up your leader with every fly change.

Will those nail knots work on 130 lb leader tied to the fly line? Seems like this leader is too thick for that? Then what weight tippet and what knot to the leader? 

(I have 25 yards of leader material not any number of leaders so it’s a bit make your own.)

On 2/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, troph said:

My mental health has taken a real beating this winter and that’s for another thread (or not). Tonight we fight back. Fishing alone tomorrow just me and my thoughts, Guad might only be a poor facsimile of Colorado trout fishing but it’s what we got. I’m prepping lines tonight, single malt and the venerable singer song writer Brandi Carlisle on the head phones. 

8E40F2B3-CFE9-46C3-8959-9E03A8C03758.jpeg

What are the dimensions on that fly box?  I need a new one (or two).

2 hours ago, troph said:

Will those nail knots work on 130 lb leader tied to the fly line? Seems like this leader is too thick for that? Then what weight tippet and what knot to the leader? 

(I have 25 yards of leader material not any number of leaders so it’s a bit make your own.)

Surgeons knot or Slim Beauty knot will join dissimilar sized lines but 130# mono is stiffer than my pecker when I’m browsing the Alejandra Guilmant thread, good luck

2 hours ago, troph said:

Why 130? Was that a recommendation from Tailwaters or the local guide? I could see maybe a bit of 130 shock tippet, but a whole leader? Seems like overkill, and also difficult to turn over. 

30 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Why 130? Was that a recommendation from Tailwaters or the local guide? I could see maybe a bit of 130 shock tippet, but a whole leader? Seems like overkill, and also difficult to turn over. 

tailwaters rec, part of their rob from my retirement turn key package set up.  it's hardAF to tie a knot.  look at that loop knot above, that's what I'm talking about.  I've got 25 yards of 130 lb leader line.  its stiffer than @4th and 5's pecker, believe him.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

What are the dimensions on that fly box?  I need a new one (or two).

maybe 4X6, quite small.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to email tailwaters or call them tomorrow.  that 130 lb leader is super hard to tie a knot.  I think the idea is tie the fly right to it and you have less of a chance of a coral break.  supposedly the GT saw your line off on the coral like a fucking chainsaw through a 2x4.