Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

On 8/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, mapplewhite132 said:

Anyone have thoughts on a LA bull red fly rod setup? I have an orvis 7wt and a scott 8wt, would like this next rod to be good for bull reds in Louisiana and big permit/smaller tarpon in Belize. 

Have been thinking about another scott in 10wt plus a nautilus reel.

Got a 10 wt sector and an Abel SDS (probably the one troph passed on at sportsman’s finest…)

3220859B-B092-466C-8940-BE7D9769CD09.jpeg

88BC30F2-9769-41C9-B4C2-B0839AB15B09.jpeg

B991A65E-1222-439B-96EB-357378D97E40.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

I’m about to blow y’all up with queen we are the champions … double haul on like donkey Kong.  69-70 long cast tonight, maybe about ten mid-60 footers, even more mid-50’s and a quick get the line down mid-40 footers. It’s happening gif.  What I didn’t have was surf and wind. So y’all can still knock me down a notch, nicely not like Floridian guides tho. 

Rebecca crushed it again. today was TWAT tournament (texas women’s angler tournament and yes the girls named it). 2nd place overall, and first place blue marlin. They are on fire this year and it’s too bad it’s the last tourney of the season.  Congrats to Clinton, Reid, Rambo and the team. That’s a 2nd, 1st, and a 2nd in their last 3 tournaments for those keeping track at home. 1st place boat , Tenacious, was another local boat that spends a lot of their time in the marina I’m in in CR. Awesome job Vince and Nyla.

52444D4E-B220-47C0-AD60-565878832B49.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Tahiti probs gonna cancel - 95% chance. I almost cried yesterday.  I’m super sad. COVID can DIAGF.

Just gives you more time to learn the double haul. Hire a guide around POC and tell them you want to focus on big jacks. If you can land a big JC, you can land a GT. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just gives you more time to learn the double haul. Hire a guide around POC and tell them you want to focus on big jacks. If you can land a big JC, you can land a GT. 

I mean, if you squint hard enough this kind of looks like the pass. And you’ll probably never find a place with more “culture” than Maddens. I’m sorry@troph, the whole thing sucks and I feel for ya. But breaking that 12 in on a jack or Sept poon isn’t the worst idea. No shortage of big Jacks trolling the shorelines in the summer.

4d748f6a85e947ea365f4e7c76d94e59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I mean, if you squint hard enough this kind of looks like the pass. And you’ll probably never find a place with more “culture” than Maddens. I’m sorry@troph, the whole thing sucks and I feel for ya. But breaking that 12 in on a jack or Sept poon isn’t the worst idea. No shortage of big Jacks trolling the shorelines in the summer.

4d748f6a85e947ea365f4e7c76d94e59.jpg

I can see it...that's Sunday Beach there on the left. I almost didn't recognize it without drunk redneck chicks fighting in knee deep water. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I can see it...that's Sunday Beach there on the left. I almost didn't recognize it without drunk redneck chicks fighting in knee deep water. 

I’ll never forget a particular one I saw out there. One summer I was hitting Sunday pretty hard on the weekends. Don’t think it was a holiday but man it was packed about 3 boats deep and my rig was front row beached.  Anyhow, saw a dude get lifted, and violently thrown on middle row, from the stern deck of one boat, across the leaning post/rocket launchers of another, and landed between the console and leaning post on third boat.  Im talking rag doll shit.  A stark reminder that there are some true bad ass dudes out there that will roll you up and turn you into a rag doll legend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've caught Jack's on everything from a 8 wt fly rod in the army hole, to a trout rod over by Bird that took us on a 2 mile ride, to a 30W on the troll 45 miles off shore. One of the hardest fighting fish pound per pound. If they tasted good they would be wildly popular.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ll never forget a particular one I saw out there. One summer I was hitting Sunday pretty hard on the weekends. Don’t think it was a holiday but man it was packed about 3 boats deep and my rig was front row beached.  Anyhow, saw a dude get lifted, and violently thrown on middle row, from the stern deck of one boat, across the leaning post/rocket launchers of another, and landed between the console and leaning post on third boat.  Im talking rag doll shit.  A stark reminder that there are some true bad ass dudes out there that will roll you up and turn you into a rag doll legend. 
Definitely some aggro white trash over there, I learned long ago to avoid that crowd. Park a bit away. Since Harvey, it's all a giant sandbar.

I once rode out a bad storm there. Crawled up next to dune with a beer and a rain jacket whilst lightening blasted all around me. Afterwards my boat was covered with about 20 barely alive ribbon fish. Weirdest thing. Froze em, used em later to catch kings which we used for grouper successfully. Weird circle of life.

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:
6 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've caught Jack's on everything from a 8 wt fly rod in the army hole, to a trout rod over by Bird that took us on a 2 mile ride, to a 30W on the troll 45 miles off shore. One of the hardest fighting fish pound per pound. If they tasted good they would be wildly popular.

My first trip offshore years and years ago ended with a 45 minute fight against a jack. That’s when I said, “ok fishing is bad ass” and I’ve been slowly working toward self sufficiency. I had a long detour that’s for another thread. But essentially I’ve been chasing that thrill in every form of fishing I’ve done ever since.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

My first trip offshore years and years ago ended with a 45 minute fight against a jack. That’s when I said, “ok fishing is bad ass” and I’ve been slowly working toward self sufficiency. I had a long detour that’s for another thread. But essentially I’ve been chasing that thrill in every form of fishing I’ve done ever since.

Man, Jacks need a better agent. They are a blast to catch and will wreck your gear if given the chance. @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt Caught a pretty big one in Mexico that ran him well into his backing (10wt) a couple times before they got it in. I hooked and immediately broke off a permit while he was still trying to get his fly line back on the reel. 

Long story but I had one leave me stranded on fuel once. Chased that dude for over 2 hours on trout tackle across West Matagorda, and then ran out of fuel about 1.5 miles from dock that afternoon.  Waded across Keller until we were having to dive down, push off bottom, then come back up (8’-ish). Not a breath of wind.  None.  Ended up getting pulled in by a lesbian couple.  They made my partner take his aggy shirt off before they’d hook up. Wouldn’t take $100 but had interest in our stingers.  Aggy ended up barely beating army on way home.  That day was a disaster, and also one of the most memorable trips of my life.  Friend died of cancer a bit later.  Probably one of our last trips together. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, troph said:

Have you ever had the chance to do YF or BF tuna?    That completely changed the way I viewed fishing.   What a wonderful asswhip a xxx# tuna will put on you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Have you ever had the chance to do YF or BF tuna?    That completely changed the way I viewed fishing.   What a wonderful asswhip a xxx# tuna will put on you. 

nothing large, only smaller ones.  haven't done a tuna for tuna trip yet we need to. smalls are fun times but not jaw dropping.  even my epic day sail fishing didn't compare to that one jack.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:25 AM, fattyflattie said:

Long story but I had one leave me stranded on fuel once. Chased that dude for over 2 hours on trout tackle across West Matagorda, and then ran out of fuel about 1.5 miles from dock that afternoon.  Waded across Keller until we were having to dive down, push off bottom, then come back up (8’-ish). Not a breath of wind.  None.  Ended up getting pulled in by a lesbian couple.  They made my partner take his aggy shirt off before they’d hook up. Wouldn’t take $100 but had interest in our stingers.  Aggy ended up barely beating army on way home.  That day was a disaster, and also one of the most memorable trips of my life.  Friend died of cancer a bit later.  Probably one of our last trips together. 

Did @troph give your buddy back his shirt?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JSB said:

Just wanted to point out my lowly pond fishing. Just as a wind down thing before bed, I've been fishing a neighborhood pond I can walk to 3 or 4 nights a week. Just gotta say there is such a great feeling when you find what the bass are biting, and can pretty much guarantee landing at least 2 fish in 30 minutes. Nothing huge, but did pull in a 3lb large mouth last night. Nothing more relaxing in the world than easy fishing out under the stars. 

The best kind of fishing is the fishing you are doing.  And fishing after work easy style might be the most sublime.

Yeah but still a great place to crank some tunes, crack some beers, and hang with my girls.
c10112155c719248dc749921822df28b.jpg

Nice. Spent many an hour there, and many nights camping going back to when their were still cows on the island . My son stuck his first flounder pretty much where that picture was taken last fall. Got 4 more before half of Poc showed up with the same plans.

I miss the access to Fish Pond. A lot.

We've moved our slack tide swim spot to inside at the South Jetty. Deep cool water and an easy walk to the surf. The pass beach is gross now.

Anybody run the FG Knot for Braid to Leader? I cannot get mine to not start unraveling until the tag end sticks out and catches the guides on the retrieve. I cinch it down with a couple of hitch knots, then apply tension off a bow cleat to lock it in, trim, and do several more hitch knots to cover the tag, then super glue. By afternoon it's often starting to fray and snag.

Plenty strong. Has not failed.

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Anybody run the FG Knot for Braid to Leader? I cannot get mine to not start unraveling until the tag end sticks out and catches the guides on the retrieve. I cinch it down with a couple of hitch knots, then apply tension off a bow cleat to lock it in, trim, and do several more hitch knots to cover the tag, then super glue. By afternoon it's often starting to fray and snag.

I don't fish conventional that often anymore, but I used to use the blood knot for braid to leader connections until I discovered the Alberto knot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I gave a bitch a bloody nose today.

20210907_134115_Sharped

But she was asking for it. So were her friends.

20210907_150456_Sharped

But they all got to swim away to fight another day.

20210907_150500_Sharped

Flows have been weird this year, so haven't been on the water in nearly two months. It was worth the wait. Saw two bald eagles, four moose, and 14 fish in hand, plus a dozen or so more with hurt feelings.

• Hook 'Em 5

+1 for crazy Alberto knot

Much easier for me than fg
Furk, I feel like I'm in the Knot of the month club. I'll give it a go. I feel like I'm finally dialed in quickly wise on the FG, before that it was a knot my buddy taught me, before that it was Bimini to no name combo. All for braid
to leader inshore. Never mind the rest of the knots. (Although you could tow a truck with 85#braid to 100 #mono on that bimini combo. shit was not coming loose)

Man y’all are doing it the hard way

put line and leader together, parallel, overlapping about 8 inches

make a granny knot (a simple loop) with the two lines where they overlap

run the leader and line thru the loop 4 times

pull line and leader tight to form the knot

trim tag ends

start casting

52 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Man y’all are doing it the hard way

put line and leader together, parallel, overlapping about 8 inches

make a granny knot (a simple loop) with the two lines where they overlap

run the leader and line thru the loop 4 times

pull line and leader tight to form the knot

trim tag ends

start casting

A quadruple surgeon's knot, never tried that.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:39 PM, Born to Run said:

I use a double uni on all my setups now. I kept having a problem with the FG slipping because I would overlay one of the twists or not get it cinched tight enough. The double uni takes me 30 seconds and it’s done. I don’t know about others, but I also retie at some point during the day if I’m fishing for a long period.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I don't blame you. If it weren't for my parents, I'd refuse to go to SA at all. Eighteen years of living in Idaho has ruined me for big cities.

This is my last city.  A friend of mine has a place in the mountains, where he brews cider, moonshine and records bluegrass in his old barn, now recording studio, for bands that travel through and play at his stage at a bar he created in the town.  He paddles around on a river that runs through his property, holds jams on his lawn and travels around with women half his age.  It's a damn nice life.  Think I'ma head that direction.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 2