Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

Don’t go half way around the world and cheap out Troph.

Get the Abel, two of those less expensive rods (find an online shop that allows returns and buy one right before your trip if you think you might return it), buy two lines and two sets of backing, a ton of leader shit and a half dozen pairs of flip flops to make “flies” and you’ll be good to go.

Send pics. (And get a decent 8 weight setup for those bonefish too)

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, davidg said:

Don’t go half way around the world and cheap out Troph.

Get the Abel, two of those less expensive rods (find an online shop that allows returns and buy one right before your trip if you think you might return it), buy two lines and two sets of backing, a ton of leader shit and a half dozen pairs of flip flops to make “flies” and you’ll be good to go.

Send pics. (And get a decent 8 weight setup for those bonefish too)

Agree.  There’s no difference in $795 and $1350 on a 20k trip across the world.  You could almost assuredly sell it for 80% of what you paid upon your return if you wanted.  

*I don’t consider prices when it comes to my fishing equipment.  Just tell me what the best there is, and I’ll figure out a way to justify it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have that Redington Grande. It’s a great reel for the money, but probably not a GT reel. Perfectly serviceable as a Tarpon reel, though. If your going to go half way around the world to chase a GT, don’t skimp on a reel to save a couple hundred bucks. That Ross is interesting. The Evo R Salt is the same drag that’s in the Abel STS (Ross owns Abel) I have it in a 9-10 size on my Louisiana Bull Red rod. The drag knob is a little hard to find in the heat of battle, but with practice it’s not so bad. The drag is super smooth, though. I probably need to go by living waters in RR this week to pick up a pack of #4 hooks. I’ll peep their rod racks and see what they have in stock. They carry Scott, TFO, and Echo. 

Let me know !  I need off the shelf I’m afraid.  Red’s online has a tibor gulf stream GT fly reel  in stock. Don’t like the colors but whatever. $800. 

10 hours ago, troph said:

Help me gauge the stupidity of a novice doing this and expecting success? Seems surly level of stupid. 

Fuck that, go get’em. You don’t learn how to Tarpon fish by catching trout in the guad. You learn by getting on a boat and going Tarpon fishing. You miss shots, you do the wrong thing with the rod tip, you break off fish…but that’s how you learn to catch one. You’ll probably make mistakes, but you’re out there doing it which is more than most get to do. 

The rivers have been high since it rained mostly all of July and my normal spots are still blown out. So, in looking for flowing smallie water, I scoped out a place last Thursday and went to it after work yesterday with my sit on top kayak. About 200 yds downstream of launch, my drag chain got caught and I capsized (PFD was on). I righted the kayak, got it to some water where I could touch bottom, and caught my breath. Luckily I travel very light in the kayak and only lost a spinning rod and chain, but damn, that all happened very fast. Wear your pfd in moving water y'all!

I ended up catching 4 smallmouth and a northern pike.

Edited by Masshole Horn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Anyone have thoughts on a LA bull red fly rod setup? I have an orvis 7wt and a scott 8wt, would like this next rod to be good for bull reds in Louisiana and big permit/smaller tarpon in Belize. 

Have been thinking about another scott in 10wt plus a nautilus reel.

9 or 10 will be fine. I carry both. If you've got to pick one, go 10wt since you've already got an 8. 

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You hit the hatch, you dirty bastard.  Nothing more fun than throwing a 2" foam fly to big trout and watching them crush it.

Evil Smile GIF by memecandy

Yup was good times all around.

Went to Williams Creek this weekend and played with size 18 caddis and had luck, but much smaller rewards. Was still fun.

11 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Evil Smile GIF by memecandy

Yup was good times all around.

Went to Williams Creek this weekend and played with size 18 caddis and had luck, but much smaller rewards. Was still fun.

I took the boy out on the Fraser river a couple weekends ago and he is finally getting the hang of fly fishing.  We'll go again this weekend.  Small fish are still fun when they're coming out of a small river or creek, for sure.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:03 PM, troph said:

Let me know !  I need off the shelf I’m afraid.  Red’s online has a tibor gulf stream GT fly reel  in stock. Don’t like the colors but whatever. $800. 

I think your plans have changed now, but just to follow up...nothing bigger than a 9wt at Living Waters. 

Where did you go?  I'm heading up to Sitka with the boy in 2.5 weeks.  Can't wait...

Ketchikan. We went with a private guide that takes single groups out of a lodge he owns near Clover Pass.

alaskanfishingadventures.com
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I think your plans have changed now, but just to follow up...nothing bigger than a 9wt at Living Waters. 

thanks!  just got the email from the guide company, trying to reduce to two days for me, if they will do a morning and afternoon so we can dive one morning then I may just do this.  fuck the haters, this bitch just may be GT fishing in Tahiti.... 

...what is game? who got game? where's the game? ... I got game, she got game, we got game, they got game, he got game.... fuck the game if it ain't saying nothing.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Flew back down last weekend to get everything packed up to take home for the start of school. Decided to actually take the week off and try to get some end of summer fishing in. Worked out perfect with awesome weather of wind, wind, rain, more rain, wind, etc for the week. It has been an interesting summer of weather in SWFL. Did manage to catch some more snook/trout in crap water, but sight fishing big fish on the beach has been a lost cause. Time to start boat shopping again. I really like walking the beaches, but I need the option of getting out.

@troph probably not what you want to hear but i'd have my expectation level on the floor if i was you. 

the key to anything in life is low expectations, but especially so for a complete noob trying to cast to a GT, get an eat, and then properly fight it.

in other news, @Pescado_Rojo MX-bound in T-48 hours for 6 days on the flats. if he doesn't bring a permit to hand it's going to completely break him. y'all send the surly juju his way.

edited to add: @troph are you trying to book 2 half days? one morning and then one afternoon?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

@troph probably not what you want to hear but i'd have my expectation level on the floor if i was you. 

the key to anything in life is low expectations, but especially so for a complete noob trying to cast to a GT, get an eat, and then properly fight it.

in other news, @Pescado_Rojo MX-bound in T-48 hours for 6 days on the flats. if he doesn't bring a permit to hand it's going to completely break him. y'all send the surly juju his way.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

edited to add: @troph are you trying to book 2 half days? one morning and then one afternoon?

well I was told I couldn't hook a Tarpon either and hooked two and had one the guide says was over 40 lbs tight on the line as she (or he) flew out of the water.  I will have low expectations, just being there is awesome.  but I also know that I have been known to catch on quickly and have been told that by now 4-5 guides. so I will have low expectations with the knowledge that James Brown had going into the 96 game... maybe *I* will win by three touchdowns... and I win period just being there.

don't make me show a roll left video on top of public enemy!

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jofus said:

Ketchikan. We went with a private guide that takes single groups out of a lodge he owns near Clover Pass.

alaskanfishingadventures.com

His rates look pretty good.  How was the fishing?  Were you too early for Silvers or are they just not pictured? How about rockfish?  How much fish did you bring home?

One of my favorite things about going up there is coming home with a shitload of fish to put in the freezer and eat for the next couple of years.

Also, how was it getting there?  My favorite part of going to Sitka is they have an airport that can handle 737s.  So I can fly Alaska from DEN-SEA, hit the lounge for an hour or two, then nonstop SEA-SIT.

Edited by Chewbacca

On 8/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, mapplewhite132 said:

Anyone have thoughts on a LA bull red fly rod setup? I have an orvis 7wt and a scott 8wt, would like this next rod to be good for bull reds in Louisiana and big permit/smaller tarpon in Belize. 

Have been thinking about another scott in 10wt plus a nautilus reel.

looking for a HD model on the "big girls who swallow" thread.....I gotta say, the user name checks out!

His rates look pretty good.  How was the fishing?  Were you too early for Silvers or are they just not pictured? How about rockfish?  How much fish did you bring home?
One of my favorite things about going up there is coming home with a shitload of fish to put in the freezer and eat for the next couple of years.
Also, how was it getting there?  My favorite part of going to Sitka is they have an airport that can handle 737s.  So I can fly Alaska from DEN-SEA, hit the lounge for an hour or two, then nonstop SEA-SIT.

The fishing was great. We limited on kings and halibut each day, and caught a bunch of supplemental silvers and sea bass. We caught a ton of rockfish, but they were either out of season or protected in that area. We also caught a few lingcod.

We brought home about 80lbs of fish each, so we’re set for quiet a while.

We flew DFW-Sea, sea-ktn, so the trip was easy. The guide leaves a car at the airport for his guests to use. The guests leave it at the airport for the next guests; we actually did a drop off lane hand off to the next group. The only downside is car does not get cleaned between guests.

7bcd7cc172722f6c08b1cd0b55fbf1f5.jpg
8ba4bce3deb585751153eafe7a785ada.jpg
df8105abe91663fc82757cbf73709e45.jpg
3f93ac75e1e29642e6a8c2f9d8d48db3.jpg
c8ac80b4a89f6d60bc49e35df345f9b4.jpg

One fun thing is the bald eagles are like rats out there. They throw the carcasses down to the rocks and they fight over them.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, jofus said:

The fishing was great. We limited on kings and halibut each day, and caught a bunch of supplemental silvers and sea bass. We caught a ton of rockfish, but they were either out of season or protected in that area. We also caught a few lingcod.

We brought home about 80lbs of fish each, so we’re set for quiet a while.

We flew DFW-Sea, sea-ktn, so the trip was easy. The guide leaves a car at the airport for his guests to use. The guests leave it at the airport for the next guests; we actually did a drop off lane hand off to the next group. The only downside is car does not get cleaned between guests.

7bcd7cc172722f6c08b1cd0b55fbf1f5.jpg
8ba4bce3deb585751153eafe7a785ada.jpg
df8105abe91663fc82757cbf73709e45.jpg
3f93ac75e1e29642e6a8c2f9d8d48db3.jpg
c8ac80b4a89f6d60bc49e35df345f9b4.jpg

One fun thing is the bald eagles are like rats out there. They throw the carcasses down to the rocks and they fight over them.

That sounds like a great setup.  Very similar to where I go in Sitka, just on a smaller scale.  I go to Kain's https://www.kainsfishingadventures.com/.  They have more of a lodge setup but no more than 5-6 on each boat.  

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:53 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Woke up at 4:00, LFG

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Player said:

Daybreak.
First cut.
Superspook jr in Bone.

That, but I'd add the regular size superspook, white with red head, 30 pound leader, first gut first light, then move to the second. Cast into the current. Look for bird/bait action or birds sitting on the beach. And choose a light rod you can cast repeatedly, not a surf rod. Spinning reel with Power Pro superslick. Wading belt, stringer, set of pliers.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

fishing 3pm to sunset on one day, then back up the next morning to fish until early afternoon.  figure I'd fish for both bonefish and GT both days.  see what bites.  I've got a decent feeling I can land on the fish and get a bite, whether I can bring them in, well we will see about that.

y'all have convinced me not to skimp on my reel, I think I'm going with the able 12wt.  so here's what the guide said about it all:

I generally use a 9ft 20lb fluorocarbon leader, cut off the last foot and tie 3-4ft of 16lb fluorocarbon to your bonefish fly. have a good range of weights and colours on tan coloured gotcha style patterns. a little bit of UV orange thread near the eye of the hook certainly helps.  For your 12 weight, a rod length of 100lb leader to a 6/0 tan brush fly or similar.

sounds like two set ups, curious if my fresh water set up is good enough for bonefish?  and then invest in the GT rod/reel and buy an extra rod?  right now I'm looking at two 11 wt off the shelf at SF in bee cave.  I do think I'll get the abel as mentioned.

thoughts?

also, where do you like for these flies ... I've seen some on ebay of all places, need to double check SF selection.  the guide is there to help and I have questions into them about technical help but it does appear that I am 100% on my own for 100% of all my gear, flies, weights, leaders, all of it.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

fishing 3pm to sunset on one day, then back up the next morning to fish until early afternoon.  figure I'd fish for both bonefish and GT both days.  see what bites.  I've got a decent feeling I can land on the fish and get a bite, whether I can bring them in, well we will see about that.

y'all have convinced me not to skimp on my reel, I think I'm going with the able 12wt.  so here's what the guide said about it all:

sounds like two set ups, curious if my fresh water set up is good enough for bonefish?  and then invest in the GT rod/reel and buy an extra rod?  right now I'm looking at two 11 wt off the shelf at SF in bee cave.  I do think I'll get the abel as mentioned.

thoughts?

also, where do you like for these flies ... I've seen some on ebay of all places, need to double check SF selection.  the guide is there to help and I have questions into them about technical help but it does appear that I am 100% on my own for 100% of all my gear, flies, weights, leaders, all of it.

What weight is your freshwater setup, and how big are their bonefish?

CHIEF

4 hours ago, troph said:

thoughts?

You want a 9wt with a good drag for their bones. IIRC, they have big ones there. Tibor Riptide, Nautilus CCF X2, Abel SDS or Super 9/10, Ross Evo R Salt 9/10. For flies, check Ole Florida Fly Shop. They have a great online shop and I believe they sell mostly Umpqua and EP flies. Don’t know if they’d have much of a selection of GT flies, but they’ll have anything you need for bones. 

13 hours ago, CHIEF said:

What weight is your freshwater setup, and how big are their bonefish?

CHIEF

7-8lb bonefish but can exceed 10lb regularly. Yeah my freshwater set up is TFO 5wt / 9 ft; Redington 5/6.  It’s not enough. Furk. 

Edited by troph

10 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

You want a 9wt with a good drag for their bones. IIRC, they have big ones there. Tibor Riptide, Nautilus CCF X2, Abel SDS or Super 9/10, Ross Evo R Salt 9/10. For flies, check Ole Florida Fly Shop. They have a great online shop and I believe they sell mostly Umpqua and EP flies. Don’t know if they’d have much of a selection of GT flies, but they’ll have anything you need for bones. 

Would that at least double for reds on the Texas coast ?  

10 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

For flies, check Ole Florida Fly Shop. They have a great online shop and I believe they sell mostly Umpqua and EP flies. Don’t know if they’d have much of a selection of GT flies, but they’ll have anything you need for bones. 

This week at my desk will have some fantastic diversions! 

Just now, troph said:

Would that at least double for reds on the Texas coast ?  

absolutely. Probably a little overkill for most Texas reds honestly, but not extremely so. It's also good to have the extra punch on a windy day. I fish an 8wt for Texas reds...sometimes a 6. A 7 is really the perfect Texas redfish rod. 

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

absolutely. Probably a little overkill for most Texas reds honestly, but not extremely so. It's also good to have the extra punch on a windy day. I fish an 8wt for Texas reds...sometimes a 6. A 7 is really the perfect Texas redfish rod. 

So I was in Port A two weeks ago and took a run at reds with not a lot of luck.  I was fishing out of a kayak in Wilson's Cut and saw lots of actions and some finning but wasnt able to get one hooked up.  I plan to try this out again as soon as possible, but I was curious about what I could do to help improve my chances.  For reference, I was using an 8wt rod with a Lamson reel (SA redfish flyline and 10ft leaders) while tossing out some clousers and shrimp patterns mostly.  

Edited by hookemATL

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I could just set the drag to light and still have a good time I'd think...?

• Hook 'Em 1