USMNT 2021

Napoleon

2 hours ago, Texasborn91 said:

He has definitely taken the next step this year. He has to be invited to the Gold cup and I imagine if he keeps the form up wherever he may transfer to it’s going to be hard to keep him off the roster

Why would he “have to be invited to the Gold Cup”?

He was invited to the Olympic qualifying, but didn’t make the cut. I would think that the Gold Cup would be a combo of Olympic Qualifiers who did make the cut along with European players who did not make the cut for the Nation’s League. 

If he does get invited, I would be surprised, but not in disbelief. I just think that his likelihood of getting called into the Gold Cup is less than 50%. 

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Why would he “have to be invited to the Gold Cup”?

He was invited to the Olympic qualifying, but didn’t make the cut. I would think that the Gold Cup would be a combo of Olympic Qualifiers who did make the cut along with European players who did not make the cut for the Nation’s League. 

If he does get invited, I would be surprised, but not in disbelief. I just think that his likelihood of getting called into the Gold Cup is less than 50%. 

He’s having a hell of a season playing a position that outside of Adams (who is always injured) we are razor thin at. Not to mention if his current form runs up to Gold Cup selection time there’s no way he’s getting left off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like US managers rarely call up someone for a tournament who hasn’t been in a camp with the full national team, but maybe he was in the January camp (if there was one... can’t remember), or they saw enough in the Olympic qualifying camp. 

Good form with club tends to mean getting rewarded with a call up for a camp, but rarely means going from nothing to a tournament squad.

(I don’t make the rules...

...written or unwritten.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Not gonna lie, this video helped explain things for me. But a tournament that serves as qualification for the Gold Cup? Sigh whatever.

This video goes through rosters of the 4 finalist CONCACAF teams and gives predictions for the semifinal matches:

• Hook 'Em 1

This comparison between MLS and the English Premier League is hilariously off base and pathetic. Hopefully the MLS will cease to be the evil cabal it is stunting American players development by preventing them from taking advantages of opportunities that arise in Europe.

USMNT players need to be European league players and preferably getting minutes in the highest division of the Top 5 leagues.

Edited by UDontKnow

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

If the owners wanna make money, they need to develop, play and sell kids.  

No question about that. And that is why the MLS runs kids out there during the season so much.

But what this tweet is saying/implying is completely wrong. As if the MLS is doing so much more than the EPL playing youngsters.

I think most people here get it, but ... The EPL isn't running kids out there weekly, because:

A. the teams have academies that play these guys at lower levels to develop their talent that they don't have to try to put them up against "top flight" (quotes are for the MLS sake) talent to further develop them. Their academies bring the players along fine.

B. even in the EPL academies, these guys get enough visibility, they don't have to play top flight games to be seen.

C. the talent level between the MLS and EPL is pretty significant. Teen players would be over their heads in the EPL getting out there, unless they are future super stars. And even those guys are in over their head sometimes. 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

No question about that. And that is why the MLS runs kids out there during the season so much.

But what this tweet is saying/implying is completely wrong. As if the MLS is doing so much more than the EPL playing youngsters.

I think most people here get it, but ... The EPL isn't running kids out there weekly, because:

A. the teams have academies that play these guys at lower levels to develop their talent that they don't have to try to put them up against "top flight" (quotes are for the MLS sake) talent to further develop them. Their academies bring the players along fine.

B. even in the EPL academies, these guys get enough visibility, they don't have to play top flight games to be seen.

C. the talent level between the MLS and EPL is pretty significant. Teen players would be over their heads in the EPL getting out there, unless they are future super stars. And even those guys are in over their head sometimes. 

True, but MLS drags their feet when it comes to selling players. I understand wanting to get max return on a player, but the case of Gianluca Busio is particularly aggravating.

This website gives a nice timeline and demonstrates that he could have been sold almost two years. Fuck Sporting KC.

https://www.thebluetestament.com/2020/2/14/21138278/gianluca-busio-to-europe-story-stream-sporting-kansas-city-mls

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

True, but MLS drags their feet when it comes to selling players. I understand wanting to get max return on a player, but the case of Gianluca Busio is particularly aggravating.

This website gives a nice timeline and demonstrates that he could have been sold almost two years. Fuck Sporting KC.

https://www.thebluetestament.com/2020/2/14/21138278/gianluca-busio-to-europe-story-stream-sporting-kansas-city-mls

They all used to, but not as many do these days.

Dallas, Philly, & NY Red Bull are the fastest tickets in and out of the MLS.

Others sell players young as well. I doubt that Cade Cowell (17 years of age) is at San Jose to start the 2023 season and could go as soon as this winter.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

They all used to, but not as many do these days.

Dallas, Philly, & NY Red Bull are the fastest tickets in and out of the MLS.

Others sell players young as well. I doubt that Cade Cowell (17 years of age) is at San Jose to start the 2023 season and could go as soon as this winter.

If you are a prospect with European aspirations get your ass to Dallas. They are sending some serious talent to Europe...ask Bayern. 

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

This comparison between MLS and the English Premier League is hilariously off base and pathetic. Hopefully the MLS will cease to be the evil cabal it is stunting American players development by preventing them from taking advantages of opportunities that arise in Europe.

USMNT players need to be European league players and preferably getting minutes in the highest division of the Top 5 leagues.

What is the general consensus on after top 5 vs MLS? I'd rather have my guys in Portugal, The Netherlands, and probably Turkey, but I'm not sure I prefer Austria over MLS except of course that our guy will get a shot at some Champions League play. I guess having them on a normal league schedule helps though too. 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

What is the general consensus on after top 5 vs MLS? I'd rather have my guys in Portugal, The Netherlands, and probably Turkey, but I'm not sure I prefer Austria over MLS except of course that our guy will get a shot at some Champions League play. I guess having them on a normal league schedule helps though too. 

Belgium clubs with European competition as well.

Gets them in front of clubs from other leagues.

• Hook 'Em 1

This kid has Ethan Horvath and David Ochoa ahead of him, but maybe he can get a call up to the Gold Cup. He's been called into camp by Beerholder twice before. I for one am glad that he's coming up through an EPL team's academy (Leicester City).

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-americans-abroad/2021/6/2/22464123/ssfc-spotlight-chituru-odunze-leicester-city-usmnt-usa

Edited by UDontKnow

43 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Looking forward to laughing at the fans dressed up as random US historical figures and other rando US things

I'm not gonna lie, the guy on the right is me (no, not literally).

Crying USA fan after GOAL on Make a GIF

God Bless Landon Donovan for that tying goal. USMNT should have won that match and got shafted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Preview:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-friendly/2021/6/2/22464149/usa-usmnt-honduras-concacaf-nations-league-semifinal-what-to-watch-for-preview

This would be ideal, but it will never happen because we know 3G very well. Dest on the right? Where is Lletget?

Screen_Shot_2021_06_01_at_9.01.37_PM.png

If we roll this lineup out and find a way to lose to fucking Honduras I'm going to have a brain aneurysm. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

If we roll this lineup out and find a way to lose to fucking Honduras I'm going to have a brain aneurysm. 

I would love to eat crow, but I highly doubt that this is the starting lineup. But you may still have a brain aneurysm if Honduras wins.

The only question marks there from Berhalter's reality are Musah and Adams. Adams because he's recovering from injury and Musah because he hasn't been getting a ton of playing time lately. I wouldn't be surprised if both start on the bench in favor of Yuell and Lletget. Maybe Cannon instead of Robinson but fairly immaterial difference there. Otherwise, it should be exactly that lineup.

Either way, if we lose to Honduras, brain aneurysms are warranted.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

and CBS SN too. I think that might be it for English feeds.

In other news....I don't like him, but he's not wrong.

Wait wait wait... Wales is 17th in FIFA rankings???

I know the rankings are probably fucked up right now but that's crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Antonee Robinson in so Sergino Dest on the right side. As expected, Lletget starts and hoping that the only reason Jackson Yueill is starting is because Tyler Adams is no go. Yunus Musah not starting is criminal and Beerholder should feel bad.

• Haha 1

I don't understand how Greg could have watched the Switzerland game and then started Gio over Aaronson.  He is trying to play a high press, and the difference in work-rate between those two is pretty stark.  

Also, I refuse to believe that Lletget and Yueill are good enough to start in the US midfield . . . even when Adams is hurt.   I would have much preferred McKennie/Musah/Acosta.   Though I guess Lletget's recent scoring record for the USMNT suggests I may be wrong on this one.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I don't understand how Greg could have watched the Switzerland game and then started Gio over Aaronson.  He is trying to play a high press, and the difference in work-rate between those two is pretty stark.  

Also, I refuse to believe that Lletget and Yueill are good enough to start in the US midfield . . . even when Adams is hurt.   I would have much preferred McKennie/Musah/Acosta.   Though I guess Lletget's recent scoring record for the USMNT suggests I may be wrong on this one.   

No to Kellyn Acosta for the USMNT. He's just always out of place.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Hey so that's why Reyna is starting. Since you seemed confused.