USMNT 2021

Napoleon

catracho maynor figueroa took his 166th cap tonight, and he remains 1 behind andres guardado now on 167 for tri  with tonight's appearance

all time concalaugh leader is tri claudio suarez with 177

nats record is colbi jones with 164

current active us leader is yedlin with 63

dempseyface and landonovan may share the record of 57 nats goals for a long fucking time

2 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Brooks has had good passing today. 

brooks has lost a step or his footwork is off

however he cleans out everything in the 6 so he's our poor-mans vvd

we've got to figure out how not to leave him on an exposed corner so he doesn't have the opportunity to get megged or miss tackles

i almost feel like he is protecting himself against injury with some of his play the last 2 games

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Hope that this match drained enough of Mexico's energy for the championship match.

They will all eat two bowls of menudo for breakfast and be a full energy for the match. 

It will be interesting to see who Gregg starts in the midfield and at right back. 

Gregg comments that Reyna was still good, but had to take him off for Aaronson.  Did it not occur to him to take off Llegett and put Reyna in midfield.  Gregg appears to have bought in to the story of Acosta making good on a second chance and that seems to be the reason to play him.  Fuck that.  If is better then use that someone.  

Two eysores from last night were Yueill and Llegett.  What are the metrics on Yueill's forward passing ?  If can't accomplish line-breaking passes then he needs to be off the field.  Llegett's touch was slow and that made his decision making delayed.  No need to comment on his free kicks as it was obviously bad.

US looked way too cocky with ball at their feet.  Did they expect Honduras to just roll over? That attitude will be cured by facing Mexico.

So if Adams can't play the 6 because he's frequently hurt. McKennie doesn't have the positional discipline to play the 6. Musah has never played the 6.  Yueill is a null and void player at the 6.  Acosta at the 6 is a fantasy perpetuated by Gregg.  Is it double pivot time?

Dest tried harder at defense this game.  If Long and Richards weren't hurt, I'd go for a five in the back.  We'll get Richards back, but Ream and Miazga as backups scare me. 

Glad for the win, but the team looked like shit.  

All of the quality is extremely young and inexperienced, particularly in playing against the cheating Mexican/central American style.  Half of the Honduran team would have picked up two yellows if the game was officiated by Euro officials.  It's very difficult to adjust to a style of play that is not permitted where you play.

It's like going from the NBA to a game on the yard at San Quentin.  The US federation needs to stop being such pussies and start threatening to suspend all CONCACAF competitions in the US unless significant improvements are made to officiating.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

He’s also the first coach in 32 years to fail to qualify for the World Cup. 

Plus, Arena never won a post-group stage match in a World Cup against any country outside of North America.

Not one!

Not even Oceana or Asia. Not even Africa.

Not one!

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

So if Adams can't play the 6 because he's frequently hurt. McKennie doesn't have the positional discipline to play the 6. Musah has never played the 6.  Yueill is a null and void player at the 6.  Acosta at the 6 is a fantasy perpetuated by Gregg.  Is it double pivot time?

I already made the comment and I was half kidding and it would never happen but I'd love to see Pulisic at the 6. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm certainly glad our boys won last night but, it just doesn't seem like this coach has any idea of things.

A couple things really bother me about U.S. Soccer. The first is our passing always goes to a guy standing still. The second is our first touches when receiving said passes always seems bad. Also, so often our guy on the ball gets run up on from behind, and nobody seems to be yelling to him that someone is barreling down on him. So many of those free kicks last night were garbage.

Sunday will be tough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just caught up, rereading this got me mad all over again.

some thoughts.  We have 1 good player who isn’t a U23, Brooks.   Speaking of, this fucking dime

Gio was really good, easily the MOTM for me.   The rest of the wonder euro kids were decent to invisible.  Dest and Robinson, basically 0s, aside from a couple plays.  Weston got the assist, but didn’t do much either.  Pulisic was ok, nothing more.  Sargent well he’s our CF and his only contribution, which was massive, was saving a goal!  McKennzie was fine. 

SL and JY completely worthless.  You could pick any 2 random MLS midfielders and would have been no difference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

You could pick any 2 random MLS midfielders and would have been no difference. 

Is the MLS still that bad?

And I disagree on Sargent. I thought he did several nice things. Including a header on target. 

Edited by ztejas

I like Sargent, but he is a striker, his last goal for the Nats was vs Peru almost 3 years ago.   Since then he has played in 7 matches, starting 6, played a total of 479 minutes and scored 0 goals and has 1 assist.  That is simply not good enough.  Problem is, he is clearly the current best option.   He also is generally active and looks the part, but at some point you have to start scoring.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I like Sargent, but he is a striker, his last goal for the Nats was vs Peru almost 3 years ago.   Since then he has played in 7 matches, starting 6, played a total of 479 minutes and scored 0 goals and has 1 assist.  That is simply not good enough.  Problem is, he is clearly the current best option.   He also is generally active and looks the part, but at some point you have to start scoring.

He's young and I'd like to think he is improving. I don't care what he did or the form he was in 3 years ago. I thought he looked good yesterday and he kept a ball out of the back of the net. Although I didn't understand him getting mad about Pulisic not squaring a ball that wasn't there.

Not scoring or assisting means he fits in well with the rest of the team, anyway. We aren't exactly burning holes in the other team's net. 

• Haha 1

A few more game thoughts.   GGG.  Not making a sub until the 73rd minute was ridiculous.   And he is just so damn rigid with his 433.   His selection for the midfield is why we are bad at creating chances.   With our current options, id rather play something more like a 4-2-3-1.  We need one of Reyna, Aaronson or CP playing centrally.  The Weston/SL created nothing.   Look at the lack of touches centrally above the 18

We had 4 shots on goal, SMH.

If we are stuck playing a 433, then move either Reyna or Aaronson to the midfield, so we have someone who can make things happen going forward.   Im not a fan of a back 3, but Gregggg has used it before.  

If we stick to 433

Pulisic-Sargent-Aaronson/Reyna

Weston-Aaronson/Reyna

Musah (or whomever at the 6)

Same back 4 as yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

A few more game thoughts.   GGG.  Not making a sub until the 73rd minute was ridiculous.   And he is just so damn rigid with his 433.   His selection for the midfield is why we are bad at creating chances.   With our current options, id rather play something more like a 4-2-3-1.  We need one of Reyna, Aaronson or CP playing centrally.  The Weston/SL created nothing.   Look at the lack of touches centrally above the 18

If we are stuck playing a 433, then move either Reyna or Aaronson to the midfield, so we have someone who can make things happen going forward.   Im not a fan of a back 3, but Gregggg has used it before.  

If we stick to 433

Weston-Aaronson/Reyna

Like I said - I'd like to see - or would be curious to see - Pulisic more central. He controls possession the best of any of our attackers. He's not a huge threat when it comes to playing in balls but he makes good passes and decisions and understands the game at a high level. Sure he's a winger for club but this isn't club. I'd like to think his talent/ability would make up for any positional deficiencies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Llegett doesn't know what to do with a super star in front of him. He'd rather do the work himself than make the simple pass and letting someone else better than him have a go at it. That plus the double/triple teams CP saw explain his lack of time on the ball.

28 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

If we stick to 433

Weston-Aaronson/Reyna

My humble suggestion for the 4-3-3

Pulisic - Sargent - Weah/Aaronson (coach needs to tell Pulisic to try to generally stay on the left side of the field, no need to float around unnecessarily)

McKennie - Musah/Aaronson (McKennie and Musah will be better facilitators than Lletget and Reyna)

Reyna (he is holding on to the ball too long, so maybe giving him time further back will speed up his decision making because he has no choice but to push the ball forward and he can always join in the final third as a late attacking option)

Robinson - Brooks - McKenzie - Dest

Edited by UDontKnow

Also, for those who didnt tune in, Clint Dempsey Charlie Davies & Oguchi Onyewu were really good pre and post match, especially this being their first time doing it.   WAAAAY better than anything you see on ESPN (twelmen) or Fox (Lalas).   Granted that isnt a high bar.   In general CBS is crushing the studio shows, their group for UCL and Europa with Jamie Carragher, Micah Richards is excellent.   And of course Kate....

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.outsports.com/2021/6/3/22518189/usmt-usa-mexico-soccer-concacaf-final-puto-gay-slur-denver

Simple answer: Yes it will happen again on Sunday night.

But more importantly, I didn't know Lletget got in trouble for directing the slur towards a teammate (and then stupidly posted it on social media). Shouldn't that be grounds for him to be dismissed from the USMNT (not really, I just don't want him on the pitch because he sucks and his play really helps the opposition)?

3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I would not mind the backline getting shored up. Maybe Beerholder knows that his ass is on the line.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/usmnt-likely-to-change-formation-for-concacaf-nations-league-final-against-mexico-source-says/

I've seen a lot of people who want the US to play with 3 (or really 5) at the back, but I just have a hard time seeing how that is going to turn in anything but the US bunkering and hoping to counter. The best lineup involves Adams, Mckennie, and Musah together in the midfield. Pulling on of those guys for an extra center back just isn't something that makes sense to me.

If the plan is essentially swap out Yueill for another center back because Adams isn't healthy, ok. I guess that's an option, but I don't see how we'll play with any kind of possession based style in that setup. I would strongly prefer going to a 4-2-3-1 instead of a 5-2-3.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

The best lineup involves Adams, Mckennie, and Musah together in the midfield. Pulling on of those guys for an extra center back just isn't something that makes sense to me.

If the plan is essentially swap out Yueill for another center back because Adams isn't healthy, ok. I guess that's an option, but I don't see how we'll play with any kind of possession based style in that setup. I would strongly prefer going to a 4-2-3-1 instead of a 5-2-3.

Yeah, so Beerholder didn't play 2 of your preferred 3 in the midfield. One might be because of injury and the other is out of sheer stupidity.

At this point, it's pretty evident that Adams isn't good to go. As stupid as Beerholder is, he knows that the only good option he has at '6' is Adams. Playing without a '6', throwing Miazga into the backline, and letting the LBs/RBs go forward and attack (I mean that's what Dest has been doing thus far), isn't the worst thing. You have to respect Mexico - they're the best counter attacking team in CONCACAF and if LBs/RBs are slow to get back, then what? This match is also more psychological. In the event Mexico scores first, it will deflate the team...it always has.

And on another note, it will be an embarrassment if the USMNT loses for this sheer fact below:

And also there is this...I miss the Landon Donovan led USMNT

Edited by UDontKnow

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

MATCH DAY BITCHES. also Deuce > pussy ass Landon 

Landon had some mental health issues, but the last time I checked, when he was on the pitch he gave it all and would hustle back on D not lying on the ground waiting for a call. He was no "pussy ass" by any measure.

• Hook 'Em 1

MATCH DAY BITCHES. also Deuce > pussy ass Landon 

We need someone to step out and be the leader of this team going forward and today is the perfect day for that. I think Gio and Pulisic are primed for a nice game, but the back needs to be more organized and Steffen needs to not make mistakes.

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Yeah, so Beerholder didn't play 2 of your preferred 3 in the midfield. One might be because of injury and the other is out of sheer stupidity.

At this point, it's pretty evident that Adams isn't good to go. As stupid as Beerholder is, he knows that the only good option he has at '6' is Adams. Playing without a '6', throwing Miazga into the backline, and letting the LBs/RBs go forward and attack (I mean that's what Dest has been doing thus far), isn't the worst thing. You have to respect Mexico - they're the best counter attacking team in CONCACAF and if LBs/RBs are slow to get back, then what? This match is also more psychological. In the event Mexico scores first, it will deflate the team...it always has.

And on another note, it will be an embarrassment if the USMNT loses for this sheer fact below:

And also there is this...I miss the Landon Donovan led USMNT

It's true that we have talent everywhere these days, but El Tri has a huge experience advantage. I want to beat Mexico more often than not, but I fear that's a couple years away.

Edited by SimonBolivar

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's true that we have talent everywhere these days, but El Tri has a huge experience advantage. I want to beat Mexico more often than not, but I fear that's a couple years away.

Agreed.

We don’t play smart (or wise) fútbol and our defense is extremely porous at the moment. 

We’re dripping with talent, but we’re not there yet as a team. 

• Like 1

i like the idea of a 4-3-3 if the intent is to build the side and the strategy based on club roles

i also like the fact that many of you perceived the reduced effectiveness of pulisic/reyna against honduras due in large part to the poor play behind them

the news that "changes are coming" and what that turns out to be asks lots of questions ....

- is stewart actually in charge behind the curtain; i thought he was, but playing lletget and yueill who are clearly inferior indicates stewart may not have final say

- is beerholder actually allowed to make decisions about personnel and formations

- what is the intent of a formation change that still includes exhibition players

- will a formation change that moves pulisic/reyna back to build around a permanent change or just for this match

- if we sacrifice our best attacking talent for the good of the team, can we fashion a lineup will convert that supply and still defend with grit