The US and Korea

RomaVicta

I'm seeing that NK state media is reporting that Trump explicitly agreed to lift sanctions on NK and halt joint military exercises w SoKo, and that North Korea doesn't have to move toward denuclearizing "until the US does".

Also, 5 months ago WSJ reported that Putin advised Trump to drop military exercises with South Korea.  

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Wait, who's going on Fox News? 

They are equally disturbing, only they don't profess to be quite as well read as the Surly leftists.

Elitists to be sure, but not quite as strong with the classroom rhetoric.

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

They are equally disturbing, only they don't profess to be quite as well read as the Surly leftists.

Elitists to be sure, but not quite as strong with the classroom rhetoric.

Only because it's a badge of honor among the right these days to be an uneducated nincompoop. The GOP is the stupid party.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smax said:

everyone in the trump admin who has commented on this stated " this is the first step in a long process"

Well....everyone but, you know, the most important guy, the actual Executive.  Who said that NK is no longer a nuclear threat.  No equivocation, no reference to future discussion, etc. when he made that statement.  

Keep being you.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Well....everyone but, you know, the most important guy, the actual Executive.  Who said that NK is no longer a nuclear threat.  No equivocation, no reference to future discussion, etc. when he made that statement.  

Keep being you.

Nope, he said it too, saw him on the news last night at a press conference saying something along the lines as this is the first step in a process, blah blah

of course Ill keep being me because being me is fucking awesome

Why don't you go back to being who you were, an intelligent, rational poster who even if someone disagreed with they could still respect your takes, now youre just a shit smearing lunatic

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Only because it's a badge of honor among the right these days to be an uneducated nincompoop. The GOP is the stupid party.

imageedit_5_7537405431.jpg

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

Nope, he said it too, saw him on the news last night at a press conference saying something along the lines as this is the first step in a process, blah blah

Why don't you go back to being who you were, an intelligent, rational poster who even if someone disagreed with they could still respect your takes, now youre just a shit smearing lunatic

I mean, it's literally three posts above this.

6 minutes ago, Smax said:

Is THIS the "first step in a process" thinking from Trump you're referring to?

“Honestly, I think he’s going to do these things. I may be wrong; I mean, I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey, I was wrong,’” he said during a press conference, adding, “I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

I'm just gonna let that one sit out there.  No need to discuss it.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Keep being you.

Trump has gotta Trump, but no.  You couldn't trust Kim before, and you can't trust him now.  He is a sick fucking sociopath. The best thing Trump could have told him during the one on one is that if a nuke goes off anywhere in the world, we aren't going to wait to find out which rogue nation did it. We are going to turn them all into plains of glass, and there is no bunker deep enough to protect him.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

You know you're quoting a delusion, right?

Yeah, but it's our delusion...  and by our, I mean America in general.

4 minutes ago, Smax said:

you seem to be trying to make an argument where there isn't one

32 minutes ago, Smax said:

have you watched anything but msnbc, everyone in the trump admin who has commented on this stated " this is the first step in a long process"

"Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office," Trump tweeted as he arrived back in Washington. "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Is THIS the "first step in a process" thinking from Trump you're referring to?

I'm just gonna let that one sit out there.  No need to discuss it.

From that same press conference

Press Conference by President Trump.html[6/12/18, 11:24:00 AM]

Q I just wanted to find out. You described this as a process. What is the immediate next

step? Is there some ongoing dialogue —

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. We’re getting together next week to go into the details.

Sure seems like someone agreeing this is a multi step process to me...

“Honestly, I think he’s going to do these things. I may be wrong; I mean, I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey, I was wrong,’” he said during a press conference, adding, “I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

translation: my supporters are idiots.

6 minutes ago, Smax said:

From that same press conference

Press Conference by President Trump.html[6/12/18, 11:24:00 AM]

Q I just wanted to find out. You described this as a process. What is the immediate next

step? Is there some ongoing dialogue —

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. We’re getting together next week to go into the details.

Sure seems like someone agreeing this is a multi step process to me...

Next week is infrastructure week.

Hey, I was wrong,’” he said during a press conference, adding, “I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

I think I'll just keep pointing back to this.

There is no process planned, other than (1) overstate the result today, (2) ignore/lie about the lack of long-term progress tomorrow.  Hell, that statement may be the most honest, truthful thing that Trump has said since taking office.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I think I'll just keep pointing back to this.

There is no process planned, other than (1) overstate the result today, (2) ignore/lie about the lack of long-term progress tomorrow.  Hell, that statement may be the most honest, truthful thing that Trump has said since taking office.

you should watch that press conference not read it so you get the context, oh fuck it you're like talking to a wall now

10 minutes ago, Smax said:

hardly LOL

you do realize your "point" or "gotcha" fell completely flat on its face

I mean, homeboy has two separate tweets from just this morning claiming that there is no longer a nuclear threat.  You claiming that everyone is saying it's an ongoing process and me pointing out another poster's quote showing otherwise was hardly a "gotcha" moment and my face feels fine.

Trying to paint Trump's behavior as anything other than spiking the football in the endzone is Hannity-level spin, but if you want to be like your glorious leader and take an unearned victory lap, I'm not here to stop you.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smax said:

you should watch that press conference not read it so you get the context, oh fuck it you're like talking to a wall now

I'm gathering that a wall would be formidable conversational opponent for you. 

3 minutes ago, Smax said:

I actually did see part of it -- including the part I actually quoted.  What freaking context am I missing that would add nuance to THIS?

I may be wrong; I mean, I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘Hey, I was wrong,’” he said during a press conference, adding, “I don’t know that I’ll ever admit that, but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”

Is there some other version of English out there that's been kept hidden from me all these years?

Edited by Brisketexan

5 minutes ago, Smax said:

Everyone should watch that press conference. It shows clearly and without question that Donald Trump is in way over his head and that he is historically unfit for office. The incompetence on display is staggering.

I have to give Trump some political credit for himself, he put on the show and sold it as a win for himself.

Also, while I may get shot to death by a right wing extremist with an AR-15, at least I don’t have to be worried about getting nuked by a two bit dictator on the other side of the world.

Winning. 

No one was ever under any threat until Trump kicked the hornet's nest. Even then, only the West Coast was really under threat. Most of Trump's base was completely safe and snug in their bed the entire time. 

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

No one was ever under any threat until Trump kicked the hornet's nest. Even then, only the West Coast was really under threat. Most of Trump's base was completely safe and snug in their bed the entire time. 

NK was never going to nuke a goddamn thing. They know that the minute they launched a nuke, its game over. Rocketman doesn't want to die. They rattled their saber long enough and loud enough that they got Dotard to bite.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

NK was never going to nuke a goddamn thing. They know that the minute they launched a nuke, its game over. Rocketman doesn't want to die. They rattled their saber long enough and loud enough that they got Dotard to bite.

Only way they would have launched is if US troops are landing on their shores. 

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

Do YOU trust him?

If I was in the process of coercing him in a deal, I wouldn't walk out of a good meeting and publicly announce I didn't trust him.   But I might trust him some, with my navy in his waters, sanctions, and military exercises (a face saving concession I just gave him) easily reestablished in a heartbeat.

And if Trump made a semi self deprecating joke about "coming up with an excuse (because he can be a spinner and blowhard and he knows it and he knows we all know it), I wouldn't be obtuse reporting it or discussing it.

Edited by Caracara

I would have said something like "North Korea has not followed through on previous agreements, but we have discussed that and I am optimistic they will honor their commitments." I would also have discussed privately with NK the consequences for not following through on their commitments. 

Then again, I wouldn't have met with NK one on one and given them all the negotiating leverage and given up military exercises for nothing, but promises. 

12 minutes ago, Pods said:

I would have said something like "North Korea has not followed through on previous agreements, but we have discussed that and I am optimistic they will honor their commitments." I would also have discussed privately with NK the consequences for not following through on their commitments. 

Then again, I wouldn't have met with NK one on one and given them all the negotiating leverage and given up military exercises for nothing, but promises. 

You know the military exercises lift is totally provisional, right?  Somebody should have asked him about that.

Ok. You would have prepared for the genius "Do you trust him, " question.  But maybe it's an asian thing, and Trump knows how important it is for KIM to look good to Korea, so Trump is playing that game to get the deal done and in 15 years the gulags and nukes and famine and systematic torture will be gone.  You'll still have to live with memory of our flag next to theirs, but there could be upside.

Edited by Caracara

4 minutes ago, Caracara said:

Ok. You would have prepared for the genius "Do you trust him, " question.  But maybe it's an asian thing, and Trump knows how important it is for Jung to look good to Korea, so Trump is playing that game to get the deal done and in 15 years the gulags and nukes and famine and systematic torture will be gone.  You'll still have to live with memory of our flag next to theirs, but there could be upside.

He's 35 years old.  Lil Kim is not giving up power, so the gulags and nukes and torture will still be around.

And Trump will jump at any chance to add to the win column that he keeps in his head, just to show up those dirty librools.   And if he knew anything about Asian sensibilities, he would have not posted at least half the shit he has said about various Asian countries.

I know I’ve railed against Trump for doing this Summit but I would have been all for it if we would have gotten just one of the following out of it:

Inspectors allowed to account for all nuclear materials 

Accurate assessment of nuclear materials and rocket technologies 

a no-first use agreement 

These are not tall orders.  

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's 35 years old.  Lil Kim is not giving up power, so the gulags and nukes and torture will still be around.

And Trump will jump at any chance to add to the win column that he keeps in his head, just to show up those dirty librools.   And if he knew anything about Asian sensibilities, he would have not posted at least half the shit he has said about various Asian countries.

I think peace is in the air. And possibly reform.  That's my opinion.  It's an ideal worth taking a new, non-lethal tack for.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know I’ve railed against Trump for doing this Summit but I would have been all for it if we would have gotten just one of the following out of it:

Inspectors allowed to account for all nuclear materials 

Accurate assessment of nuclear materials and rocket technologies 

a no-first use agreement 

These are not tall orders.  

I was hoping all those would happen in the first day, but I guess I greatly overestimated our hand.

16 minutes ago, Caracara said:

I think peace is in the air. And possibly reform.  That's my opinion.  It's an ideal worth taking a new, non-lethal tack for.

Somebody who has no problem assassinating his brother or ordering the murders of lots of innocent family members of people he doesn't like (in creative ways) isn't the guy who is going to bring peace in our lifetime.

The numerous murders he's ordered are all about keeping him safe from an internal coup.  His nuke program was all about keeping him safe from external invasion/overthrow.

And he's not some Fidel Castro who had experienced a life outside of power, and then who rolled in and built this up.  He grew up steeped in this stuff, with people who worshipped him from an early age, and he grew up under the tutelage of a grandfather and father who instilled in him a sense of "trust no one and do anything to stay in power".

Edited by atomheartbevo

Yeah he was born into it, but he might be up for something different.  I find this much better than world war or the status quo of gulags famine and growing nukes, or even assassinating him and letting NK descend into complete madness.   What was your idea?