Bourbon

Jimbaround

20 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

What's the semi-secret place in Austin where you guys find good allocated stuff? I'm in town for a night and want to grab some bottles.

It’s a small neighborhood store called Twin Liquors. You owe me. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I like it, too. In a blind test with standard Elijah, though, I preferred the Elijah. 
Can’t quite blame them for profit-taking a bit, but doing away with the HH6 seems like a crime. 

To me HH BiB is better than standard ECSB but is also another $10-$12 higher at retail. I find ECSB a little rough for a sipper except for a few store picks I’ve found.

As for HH6, I’ve seen similar comments among the online bourbon cognoscenti but honestly, unless you’re in Kentucky, the only state that HH6 was available in, why would anyone else care about it? My original post was an attempt to convey that despite the lamenting about HH6, this more widely available HH offering is actually pretty good, especially at the relative price point. I was pleasantly surprised. Cheers!
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I have an Elijah Craig SB pick from Ollie’s in Lubbock and one from Byron’s in OKC and both are just stupid delicious. I had two of the Byron’s but one didn’t last 48 hours.

You can run into a good Elijah Craig store pick. The Houston Bourbon Society pick from 2019 was really good. Nice oak note and age stated 9 years.

The Total Wine pick I bought earlier this year was pretty meh. 

The only EC Toasted I’ve seen anywhere in Texas was at Deb’s. It’s supposed to be damned good. 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

You can run into a good Elijah Craig store pick. The Houston Bourbon Society pick from 2019 was really good. Nice oak note and age stated 9 years.

The Total Wine pick I bought earlier this year was pretty meh. 

The only EC Toasted I’ve seen anywhere in Texas was at Deb’s. It’s supposed to be damned good. 

It’s really not that great. Bought two and traded one out for an ECBP and I wouldn’t pay $50 for another. It’s like 1910 except replace that amazing toasted marshmallow note with a bit of bitter wet oak.  But not bitter wet oak in a weirdly good way like Michter’s toasted rye.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USCATX said:

It’s really not that great. Bought two and traded one out for an ECBP and I wouldn’t pay $50 for another. It’s like 1910 except replace that amazing toasted marshmallow note with a bit of bitter wet oak.  But not bitter wet oak in a weirdly good way like Michter’s toasted rye.  

How would you compare EC Toasted to Michter’s Toasted? You’d think they’re very similar. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How would you compare EC Toasted to Michter’s Toasted? You’d think they’re very similar. 

EC Toasted has that same slightly off note that Garrison Balmorhea has.  I’m not even sure how to describe it but I don’t like it as much as the Michter’s.  

Edited by USCATX

1 minute ago, USCATX said:

EC Toasted has that same slightly off note that Garrison Balmorhea has.  I’m not even sure how to describe it but I don’t like it as much as the Michter’s.  

Balmorhea is probably on the menu this weekend. Cleaning out the bottom shelf before moving at the end of this month. 

Shit now I might need a Michters TR to get this Astros game out of my mouth

I'll vouch for a Elijah Craig SB store pick I have as well. Was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. In fact, I did a blind with ECSB store pick, Elmer, ER, and OF Single Barrel store pick. This was my order: 

Last place - Old Forester SiB store pick (neck pour)- Surprised me because I love OF. Was good but tasted REALLY thin (90 proof)

Third Place - Elmer - Might be embarrassing to admit, I don't know. I thought top 3 were all really good, but I placed this 3rd because top 2 had a slightly more interesting nose/palate for me. 

Second Place - Eagle Rare. I kinda shat on ER recently. I take it back. 

First Place - Elijah Craig SB store pick (neck pour) - First time I ever had it. I tend to like higher proof, so maybe it being the highest of this blind test (94) helped. I don't know. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Saw a Sam Houston 14 on the shelf at Spec's (Bissonnet and Weslayan) today for $99. I already own one but was pleasantly surprised to see it there. 

At another Spec's I noticed they had Eagle Rare (sold out, but tag was still there) behind their glass casing for $29. 

You're a bourbon hunting maniac Hank!

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RichUT said:

So bill, what was your verdict on the SH14? I know you were a bit dubious that it would be worth picking up. I take it you’re a fan?

I haven’t cracked it yet. Mash & Drum was a huge fan, but he likes everything. The r/bourbon posters redditors love it. I expect  it to be good, so I bought two. Always buy two. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

8 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Lol, my collection has gotten so large that I'm leaving empty handed most of the time now. But worth it to poke my face into a store for 5 minutes and possibly get lucky. 

Hank, just invite Surly over for a tasting.  We’ll help you thin the herd.  Then you can get back to buying instead of looking.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

So bill, what was your verdict on the SH14? I know you were a bit dubious that it would be worth picking up. I take it you’re a fan?

It’s worth $99 at Spec’s for sure.  I like oak and age and it’s in the same price range as the Knob 15 LE at the same proof.  I could argue that MK BiB 17 is worth $50 more and Knob 12 is worth $50 less, but there’s nothing else really that old and oaky for that price.  It showed up again at Spec’s so most should be able to find one if they want it.  

In other news, I picked up an RC6 today while looking for the Maker’s 2020 edition. Why these bottles roll out a year after release is still a mystery to me.  I’ve picked up a ‘19 GTS, ‘19 4R SMBLE and the ‘19 RC6 in the last 2 months.