Bourbon

Jimbaround

This may be a really stupid question but does anyone ever foresee a future where you could just purchase bottles from the company online?

It’s starting to happen. You can buy direct from Bardstown, for example. And you can buy from Barrell’s website though I think they route you to various online sites depending on where you live.

Logistically, it’s harder due to various state regulations governing selling and shipping alcohol. The other aspect that will be challenging is dealing with bots, which are already a problem in the sneaker industry where there is significant money to be made on the secondary market.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:
That’s probably the small batch. High rye, 4-5 year MGP bourbon aged on site on Las Vegas. 

It's tasty. Going to go grab a few more.

I’m a Smoke Wagon snob,Uncut/Unfilteres and Single Barrel, but I’m curious about the small batch now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m a Smoke Wagon snob,Uncut/Unfilteres and Single Barrel, but I’m curious about the small batch now. 

Pretty sure small batch is going to be just like the smooth ambler sitting all over the shelves.  I love MGP but 4 year MGP is still 4 year bourbon.  

This is the first time I've seen it in a store. Will buy whenever i see it going forward. 5f88b1c0b3da9c2954cc1eb016b85f07.jpg

That’s not the small batch. That’s the straight bourbon. The small batch is ~$60 and comes in the bottle that has the nicer bottle with the vines blown into the glass with a gold medallion.

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Smoke Wagon is MGP. I’m guessing they’re aging their own stuff? any of these people ever done well with their own distillate?

From what I’ve gathered, MGP distills it, tank dumps the distillate into a truck, and off to Vegas it goes. Given Vegas’ extreme temperature swings, they’re probably aging it in temperature controlled warehouses. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has anybody received a bottle of 2020 Birthday Bourbon? It’s about that time of year, and I haven’t heard a thing yet. I sent a gentle reminder yesterday by asking for Old Forester 150. 

I’ve been sitting around waiting for the text, but nothing is showing up. 

Has anybody received a bottle of 2020 Birthday Bourbon? It’s about that time of year, and I haven’t heard a thing yet. I sent a gentle reminder yesterday by asking for Old Forester 150. 

I sampled it at my local the other evening. The bartender was raving about it, and after all the bluster I was intrigued, but came away disappointed. Honestly, there are about 10 bottles here at home that I would rather drink.

45 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What is everyone's Tuesday night selection? 

Think I will go with some OF 1910 and pull out the Weller Full Proof for any celebratory rounds

First course : Kentucky Deluxe 

Second course : T.W. Samuels Blended 

Third course : Old Crow 

Complete meal with a face down black out on pavement. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I sampled it at my local the other evening. The bartender was raving about it, and after all the bluster I was intrigued, but came away disappointed. Honestly, there are about 10 bottles here at home that I would rather drink.

I'm at peace with not getting a bottle this year, but I was curious if it had hit Houston/Texas yet. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What is everyone's Tuesday night selection? 

Think I will go with some OF 1910 and pull out the Weller Full Proof for any celebratory rounds

i'm gonna have to start with something 95 or lower and work my way up.  gonna be a long day/night, especially on california time.

maybe work the buffalo trace chain.  hancock -> elmer -> blantons -> bt kosher wheat -> rock hill -> stagg, jr

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I tasted the cream of Kentucky for the second time tonight, I’m still not really loving it. To my palate, the most noticeable thing about it is that it seems “thin” flavor-wise. There’s wood and butterscotch and caramel but it all seems a little weak to me. I tasted it next to michters 10 tonight (because I really like michters) and the depth of flavor in the michters is much more we’ll-rounded. I just bought a smoke wagon uncut/unfiltered this weekend and a heaven hill bib tonight, which one to start with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, BigD will have to help you out here. I had the 2020 and 2018 and wasn’t impressed. Good not great, but everybody’s palette is different. BigD definitely knows his stuff. 

i'm not a big woodford guy, and there's plenty of other stuff out there at that price point.  i like so many bottles in the $45-$60 range that i really need to be confident i'll love something to spend over $100.  it's the principle.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm not a big woodford guy, and there's plenty of other stuff out there at that price point.  i like so many bottles in the $45-$60 range that i really need to be confident i'll love something to spend over $100.  it's the principle.

I'm not one of those Knob Creek 15 year old store picks are better and only $45 guys. If it's good, I'll pay for it and not worry about it. I mean hell, I didn't have a problem paying $120 for Kentucky Owl Confiscated. It was good, but not priced well. Don't buy another bottle and just move on.