Bourbon

Jimbaround

I'm adding this thread to my daily bourbon check-ins, along with the bourbon threads on OBs and the Rivals MB, and IT's booze thread. 

I got into bourbon (and a little rye) probably around early August, and here are some thots

- I'm not a fan of run of the mill wheaters; Wellers SR, Markers Mark, and Larceny Small Batch don't do a lot for me, and end up just sitting on the shelf. The Wellers Antique is good stuff though, so I'm wondering if a step up makes the difference for me here. I might buy a Makers Private Select soon to test this out, and I'm always on the look out for W12 to try

- I've found a lot of cheaper bottles that are good daily drinkers for me that are easily available; Evan Williams BIB, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Beam BIB, Beam Single Barrel, Beam Black, Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch, 1792 Small Batch... I've found two bottles of Eagle Rare, but that's not easily available for me. I recently landed a bottle of EHT Small Batch, and am very much looking forward to opening it this weekend 

- At a little higher price point, Four Roses Single Barrell, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Woodford Double Oaked, and 1792 Barrell Proof are all really good. Recently bought a Belle Meade Reserve and a store pick George Remus Cask Strength; don't have strong opinions on them yet, although they seem solid. Thought Old Forrester Prohibition Style and 1792 Single Barrell were just ok

- Blanton's is fine for a lower proof neat pour, but it's nothing special. If I see it at a decent price point, I'll buy it, but it don't think it's worth drinking around looking for 

- Bottles I've gotten that I flat out don't like; Angel's Envy Bourbon, Jefferson Very Small Batch, and Old Forrester Single Barrell (think it was a TW store pick). I've started making coctails with them, but I'd rather just drink the bourbons I like 

- I have a couple bottles of various Balcones that I really liked until I started drinking these other bourbons, and now they all taste like shit to me. The best is Blue Strenght, but it's still swill to me

- Until I bought Booker's Boston Batch this week, the previous most expensive bourbon I'd bought was Booker's Granny's Batch (I think it was somewhere around $75, but I don't remember exactly). Haven't opened Boston yet, but Granny's is my favorite bottle that I've bought so far, so I'm happy that paying up a little bit was worth it in this case; a lot of flavors going on there, and it packs a punch

- Ryes: Whistlepig 10 is outstanding, Sazarac is really damn good for its price point, High West Double Rye and Rendezvous taste the same to me (both good), and I have a bottle of Whitmeyers Store pick that I'm unsure what to think about at this point

- Some non-Bourbon/Rye liquors in my stash that I really like; Nikka Coffey Grain, Redbreast 12, and Zapaca 23 

- I haven't found anything that's difficult to find at Specs or TW, but I stop by TW from time to time in hopes of getting lucky, since they seem to put their allocated stuff out on the shelves. Unfortunately the TW on the way home from work (Sawyer Heights) gets a lot of traffic, and is generally picked dry quickly. The Midtown Specs near home never has shit and they try to sell you overpriced dogshit, and I mostly go there to find season craft beer. I have a mom and pop place by work that I buy a cheap or middle ranged bottle at weekly, and I gave them a list of bourbons to save for me or to try and get, and I've been rewarded with a Blanton's, an ER, a Wellers Antique, and an EHT SB. I also just bought my Bookers Boston from them instead of elsewhere. Their stuff tends to be $3-$5 more than the Total Wine types, but it's worth it if they keep landing me bottles. Also I buy a store picked bottle from Ryan's Liquor from time to time so I can participate in their December allocated raffle. 

- I'm on the prowl for MWND, Elmer T Lee, Wellers 12, Wellers Full Proof, and Rock Hill Farms

Cheers, hook'em. 

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm adding this thread to my daily bourbon check-ins, along with the bourbon threads on OBs and the Rivals MB, and IT's booze thread. 

I got into bourbon (and a little rye) probably around early August, and here are some thots

- I'm not a fan of run of the mill wheaters; Wellers SR, Markers Mark, and Larceny Small Batch don't do a lot for me, and end up just sitting on the shelf. The Wellers Antique is good stuff though, so I'm wondering if a step up makes the difference for me here. I might buy a Makers Private Select soon to test this out, and I'm always on the look out for W12 to try

- I've found a lot of cheaper bottles that are good daily drinkers for me that are easily available; Evan Williams BIB, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Beam BIB, Beam Single Barrel, Beam Black, Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch, 1792 Small Batch... I've found two bottles of Eagle Rare, but that's not easily available for me. I recently landed a bottle of EHT Small Batch, and am very much looking forward to opening it this weekend 

- At a little higher price point, Four Roses Single Barrell, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Woodford Double Oaked, and 1792 Barrell Proof are all really good. Recently bought a Belle Meade Reserve and a store pick George Remus Cask Strength; don't have strong opinions on them yet, although they seem solid. Thought Old Forrester Prohibition Style and 1792 Single Barrell were just ok

- Blanton's is fine for a lower proof neat pour, but it's nothing special. If I see it at a decent price point, I'll buy it, but it don't think it's worth drinking around looking for 

- Bottles I've gotten that I flat out don't like; Angel's Envy Bourbon, Jefferson Very Small Batch, and Old Forrester Single Barrell (think it was a TW store pick). I've started making coctails with them, but I'd rather just drink the bourbons I like 

- I have a couple bottles of various Balcones that I really liked until I started drinking these other bourbons, and now they all taste like shit to me. The best is Blue Strenght, but it's still swill to me

- Until I bought Booker's Boston Batch this week, the previous most expensive bourbon I'd bought was Booker's Granny's Batch (I think it was somewhere around $75, but I don't remember exactly). Haven't opened Boston yet, but Granny's is my favorite bottle that I've bought so far, so I'm happy that paying up a little bit was worth it in this case; a lot of flavors going on there, and it packs a punch

- Ryes: Whistlepig 10 is outstanding, Sazarac is really damn good for its price point, High West Double Rye and Rendezvous taste the same to me (both good), and I have a bottle of Whitmeyers Store pick that I'm unsure what to think about at this point

- Some non-Bourbon/Rye liquors in my stash that I really like; Nikka Coffey Grain, Redbreast 12, and Zapaca 23 

- I haven't found anything that's difficult to find at Specs or TW, but I stop by TW from time to time in hopes of getting lucky, since they seem to put their allocated stuff out on the shelves. Unfortunately the TW on the way home from work (Sawyer Heights) gets a lot of traffic, and is generally picked dry quickly. The Midtown Specs near home never has shit and they try to sell you overpriced dogshit, and I mostly go there to find season craft beer. I have a mom and pop place by work that I buy a cheap or middle ranged bottle at weekly, and I gave them a list of bourbons to save for me or to try and get, and I've been rewarded with a Blanton's, an ER, a Wellers Antique, and an EHT SB. I also just bought my Bookers Boston from them instead of elsewhere. Their stuff tends to be $3-$5 more than the Total Wine types, but it's worth it if they keep landing me bottles. Also I buy a store picked bottle from Ryan's Liquor from time to time so I can participate in their December allocated raffle. 

- I'm on the prowl for MWND, Elmer T Lee, Wellers 12, Wellers Full Proof, and Rock Hill Farms

Cheers, hook'em. 

- NASA Liquor is dropping a Old Scout Smooth Ambler Cask Strength Store Pick on Saturday. It's a long haul, but it could be worth it for that bottle. Some of the thread experts really liked their previous picks. 

- Ly's on Navigation allegedly gets NASA's leftovers and is a really good store. 

- Regarding wheaters, I'd suggest Maker's Mark 101. It's only $34 while the Maker's Private Select is anywhere from $60-70. If you like Maker's 101, you should really like Private Select. PM and I'll point you in the direction of some cheap Maker's Private Select. 

- A good barrel of Evan Williams SiB will beat Eagle Rare on some days. 

- Four Roses Small Batch Select smokes all the bourbons you listed in that paragraph, but you could run into an awesome 1792 Full Proof store pick. 

- Pikesville and Rare Breed Rye are the best readily available ryes. However, Rare Breed is getting tough to find. My understanding is that it's more on the supply side rather than demand. I don't think I'll ever recommend WhistlePig again. 100% ryes from Canada just aren't my thing. I taste some bubble gum notes. 

- Always ask about store picks. It's usually better bourbon/rye and it's a good conversation starter/relationship builder. 

- I'd suggest buying all of your beer/wine/other liquors at one store/one location to build up points. This will push you towards the front of the allocated line. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the most underserved segment of the whiskey market is ryes. Two, just 2, readily ryes are above average. Pikesville and Rare Breed. An argument could be made for Russell’s SiB if they bring back the picks. 

I know rye is a more expensive ingredient than corn, and it’s more difficult to mash, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask for maybe 6 excellent ryes on the shelf. I could walk into almost any Spec’s in Texas, and start a pretty decent bourbon collection. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think the most underserved segment of the whiskey market is ryes. Two, just 2, readily ryes are above average. Pikesville and Rare Breed. An argument could be made for Russell’s SiB if they bring back the picks. 

I know rye is a more expensive ingredient than corn, and it’s more difficult to mash, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask for maybe 6 excellent ryes on the shelf. I could walk into almost any Spec’s in Texas, and start a pretty decent bourbon collection. 

I think it might be a demand issue. I like Rye as much as the next guy, but the majority of bourbon nerds aren’t buying up Ryes at the same clip, and that doesn’t even take into account the causal bourbon drinker. The above average ryes are snatched up by those that appreciate them, and then there is a large oversupply of average Ryes nobody wants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Fud said:

Cheers, hook'em. 

How/why/what...led you down your path to your newly acquired hobby?

Pays to make friends with local liquor managers.  Went in for weekend buy and manager said... I’ve been saving something for you.  He apologized for delays in ER so he gave me the DELAY discount.  Two bottles ER for 27.00 and bottle 1870 39.00. He wouldn’t let me pay retail.  Think I will keep doing business with this friend.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

- NASA Liquor is dropping a Old Scout Smooth Ambler Cask Strength Store Pick on Saturday. It's a long haul, but it could be worth it for that bottle. Some of the thread experts really liked their previous picks. 

I picked up a bottle of this from Ly's yesterday. The neck pour was...not great. I'll try it again next week. 

I haven’t posted Inna long time. I’ve stepped up my game a bit. Found a blantons in the wild at retail recently and feel great about it. I bought a bottle of rebel yell 10 recently and tried it somewhere else before opening. Now I’m somewhat interested in trading if anyone wants it.
I've passed this up for like 2 years strong but was going to grab one soon, not worth it?

28 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
31 minutes ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:
I haven’t posted Inna long time. I’ve stepped up my game a bit. Found a blantons in the wild at retail recently and feel great about it. I bought a bottle of rebel yell 10 recently and tried it somewhere else before opening. Now I’m somewhat interested in trading if anyone wants it.

I've passed this up for like 2 years strong but was going to grab one soon, not worth it?

I’ve enjoyed it, especially at MSRP price. 

1 minute ago, ISUCyclones said:
3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah I'm slightly annoyed retail went from like 50 to 90 in the past couple years but that's bourbon in a nutshell

😂 

alright, scratch my last comment. My experience was a couple bottles at $50. For $90 I could find other stuff I like more. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:
9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah I'm slightly annoyed retail went from like 50 to 90 in the past couple years but that's bourbon in a nutshell

People are paying $90 for Rebel Yell 10? Jesus. I mean it’s pretty good, but come on. There’s MUCH better bourbon in the $40-$50 tier.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

People are paying $90 for Rebel Yell 10? Jesus. I mean it’s pretty good, but come on. There’s MUCH better bourbon in the $40-$50 tier.

Twice as old and expensive as Redemption Wheated but half as good?  I’d buy at $56.99 but no more.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ISUCyclones said:
2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

99.99 at the distillery. Cheapest I've seen it around recently was 93. Looks like I will continue to pass it up then.

Try it at a bar. It's very good bourbon. But, it's just not a chase bottle. 

• Like 1

This fucking place. They do this all the time. Post at 9:00 am. I saw it 15 minutes after posted right before hopping in the shower. It’s in the suburbs on the other end of town. They sell out within an hour. I got a Buffalo trace but none of the others. Got a Michters American and Lot 40 Canadian while I was there, so a successful trip, but it’s now two years since I’ve been able to buy an Eagle Rare and longer since I passed on a MWND not knowing it would become a unicorn.

B99DF14D-6BD8-4767-A5FE-0397F87AB522.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

c7eb3f65196e1373b43e448072990141.jpg

It really is the best time of year...

Also secured a spot on the “client list” for a charity raffle with the following:

- ER17
- Saz18
- Parker’s Heritage Rye
- Pappy23

giphy.gif

My basement this Holiday Season: 

Old Rip Van Winkle

or

Lot B 

AND 

Handy

I won’t list my ceiling because I don’t want to jinx myself.

The hope as always is Pappy and Die Hard on Christmas Eve. 

• Like 1