Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Nothing wrong with Canadian whiskey that Sprite won’t fix. 

That is exactly where I used to be, but my pallet changed and I am pretty much just a bourbon man now.  I tried to drink Scotch but I just couldn't do it.  I don't like the smell of wet campfire much less the taste of it.  I do look forward to following up on some of the recommendations I've gotten on this thread though. There is nothing better than needing a cart at a liquor store.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

That is exactly where I used to be, but my pallet changed and I am pretty much just a bourbon man now.  I tried to drink Scotch but I just couldn't do it.  I don't like the smell of wet campfire much less the taste of it.  I do look forward to following up on some of the recommendations I've gotten on this thread though. There is nothing better than needing a cart at a liquor store.

what's your price range per bottle?

• Like 1

Sounds like Laphroaig
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I’d go up to $100 a bottle but not as an every day drinker. I’ve been drinking Bulleit for the last 5 years at $42 a handle.

gotcha.  i love bulleit.  you said you're liking bourbon, and i think you said you drink with a couple pieces of ice.  i never mix anything and i always drink with one piece of ice (I have the nice cube-shaped ice), and eventually it just turns into a chilled bourbon neat.  i also am mostly bourbon, even though i have some ryes and the nikka that i keep coming back to.  but i prefer bourbon.  i also only drink 1-2x a week typically.

there are two ways you can go with it:

1. start gathering recommendations from this board and other places (this thread will not steer you wrong).  buy bottles, try them, find out what you like.

2. drink some low level of several different lines/distilleries and find out which "juice" agrees with you, then have fun climbing the tree to nicer stuff.

my contributions to #1 would be russell's reserve single barrel, wild turkey rare breed barrel proof, four roses small batch select, makers mark private select, old forester 1910.  those are all in the $40-$60 range and all very dependable bottles.  rarely do i hear of anyone disliking anything from that list and i recommend them often.

i'm probably not the best person here to help with #2.  i know i like buffalo trace, but unfortunately only buffalo trace and eagle rare are readily available for you, most likely.  i also recommend michters, which is a lower proof and easy to drink.  their higher level stuff is very hard to get and/or expensive.  you can climb the four roses ladder, or elijah craig (heavenhill i guess all sources from the same place? - again, someone else can do better on this than me).  old forester also has a ton of good offerings to sample, different price points and proofs.

the 1st option will get you some good bottles quick.  the 2nd is probably a more fun and lengthy experiential project that could be good for you.

more knowledgeable posters can expand on these i'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’d go up to $100 a bottle but not as an every day drinker. I’ve been drinking Bulleit for the last 5 years at $42 a handle.

If it helps, I’ve really enjoyed this Woodford Reserve at about $40 a liter.

I miss the days when I could drink Weller Antique for $42/handle.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hate said:

Ever had an unpeated scotch? You should try Bruichladdich or Glenkinchie. I’d be curious to see what you think.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Ever had an unpeated scotch? You should try Bruichladdich or Glenkinchie. I’d be curious to see what you think.

That’s interesting. I haven’t had either of those before. I’ve tried Glenlivet, Laphroaig, and Macallen and didn’t like any of them. I didn’t know they made unpeated scotch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Good stuff but wildly overpriced. I stepped into my TW last month and found it. Asked the guy that I trust there what he thought and he said he didn’t know anything about it. Scanned it to see when they got it and it had come in April and they had sold one bottle since then. Passed and from what I’ve gathered from others I didn’t miss anything

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

What’s the deal with Cream of Kentucky? TW had several bottles yesterday 

It’s a good bourbon with a a super premium price point that some people pay because they can and others will buy on a speculative basis. Most of the bottles sold will likely never be opened.  In other words, it’s a marketing coup. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 hours ago, Fud said:

What’s the deal with Cream of Kentucky? TW had several bottles yesterday 

It’s $135 Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  So generally a tough sell when Heaven Hill releases the same age product for $59.  There’s also Doc Swinson’s releasing 15 year Heaven Hill for $149 if you want some high age, high cost action.  My favorite independent bottler/NDP buy this year over $100 has been the Sam Houston 14 year.  I love hundred proof and I love oak so it hits just right.  

• Hook 'Em 1

My pick up this morning. I really liked my last bottle of Pinhook. b552b65e91183e35300c8f9618cc3c6c.jpg

Their vertical series rye is really good too. It’s silver and is just at 4 years this year. The bourbon one is great though. Liquor King up in Allen did a store pick of the 5-year VS bourbon single barrel that I tried, but it’s definitely not $20 better than the regular one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Appears two dudes acquired the brand from New Riff and are tapping into some 5 year MGP to overprice. Similar to Old Scouts last release. 

2.5 barrels from Jordan is a pretty bad sign. He’s a tough reviewer, but he’ll give almost everything decent 3 barrels and up. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Appears two dudes acquired the brand from New Riff and are tapping into some 5 year MGP to overprice. Similar to Old Scouts last release. 
These first releases are going for ridiculous amounts on secondary too, like 175 or so last I saw. One of the owners posts on my local bourbon FB group, who all went absolutely nuts trying to get all 10 picks released. They were literally sold out at all 9 of the releases at local places within minutes. The 10th barrel went to a Dallas club though I want to say. I got the nky FB club pick I'm in, but I haven't cracked it yet. I'm sure most of it might be sentimental but the group says the bourbon is excellent, who knows.

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I need a couple of nice bottles as customer gifts. Say $100 price range. Any thoughts on something findable that’s a hit?

I got a couple Buffalo Trace bottles I'd gladly sell for a $100...  I don't think you need to drop a hundred on anything unless it's something really special/limited edition.

$50-$60 gets you some damned fine stuff all day long that any bourbon lover would be happy to have..

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I need a couple of nice bottles as customer gifts. Say $100 price range. Any thoughts on something findable that’s a hit?

The Knob Creek 15 LE, Sam Houston 14 yr, Little Book Chapter 4 and Yellowstone 2020 LE are in that range and not terribly hard to find. Most $100 shelf turds are the suck, though. 

38 minutes ago, USCATX said:

The Knob Creek 15 LE, Sam Houston 14 yr, Little Book Chapter 4 and Yellowstone 2020 LE are in that range and not terribly hard to find. Most $100 shelf turds are the suck, though. 

Good list. I’ve seen Kentucky Owl Confiscated for as low as $105. Still overpriced, but good stuff that’ll impress people that don’t know any better. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

56 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Cream of Kentucky at $140

Sam Houston 14 at $114

Redemption 9 year at $100

Joseph Magnus at $100

Woodford Batch Proof at $130

Calumet 12 year at $100

6th Street Bourbon at $80 (for the guitar shaped bottle)

On 11/19/2020 at 7:56 PM, 'stache said:

Holy Hell this stuff is fantastic! Was $65 amd is a flavor bomb. I’m bad at tasting notes, best I can do is cinnamon and spice, almost some dark chocolate, coats the tongue and lingers nicely. I’m not sure how to describe this, but I can feel the alcohol burn as almost an additional flavor as opposed to just heat. I might try to get a second tomorrow if they still have it.

AA44D704-9788-4CBA-917F-4AAF1A07FDA7.jpeg

Picked one up on Friday and definitely agree. This is a great sipper, definitely will keep in stock.

Good suggestions thanks. I saw a bunch of 1792 Full Proof at a nearby place last week and didn’t pick any up because I have almost a whole bottle along with 50 others on the bar right now. I feel like I’m going to regret that. 

My Total Wine shows Barrel batch 24 and 25 in stock for $90 or so. Breaking Bourbon likes them. Any thoughts from this crew? They also have Doc Swinson 15 year but it’s $169. 

50 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Good suggestions thanks. I saw a bunch of 1792 Full Proof at a nearby place last week and didn’t pick any up because I have almost a whole bottle along with 50 others on the bar right now. I feel like I’m going to regret that. 

My Total Wine shows Barrel batch 24 and 25 in stock for $90 or so. Breaking Bourbon likes them. Any thoughts from this crew? They also have Doc Swinson 15 year but it’s $169. 

I’d be careful with Barrel. Some bottles contain Dickel distillate which is awful in my opinion. 

That said Breaking Bourbon in general is pretty solid. Certainly the most reliable source for timely reviews. 

I can PM you the link for the Confiscated. You will have to pay a steep shipping fee. 

As stated up thread Doc Swinson is 15 year old Elijah Craig. I think it’s OK value at $169. EC18 is three years older, $40 cheaper, but pretty difficult to find. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@USCATX would you recommend Remus Single Barrel Store Picks? It’s receiving pretty good reviews. It would be difficult to mess up 5-6 year old, cask strength MGP bourbon. 

They’re fine, I have one from Tejas here in Austin and it’s better than the Deb’s Old Scout but not as good as the old numbered batches of Belle Mead Cask Strength Reserve.  I also sampled the one at OLC and it was also pretty average. No humble brag, but it’s a mixer at my place.  

There’s enough Remus Repeal floating around for $15 more and 2x as old at 100 proof where MGP really shines for me to bother trying to find a honey barrel at 5-6 years.  

Edited by USCATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, USCATX said:

They’re fine, I have one from Tejas here in Austin and it’s better than the Deb’s Old Scout but not as good as the old numbered batches of Belle Mead Cask Strength Reserve.  I also sampled the one at OLC and it was also pretty average. No humble brag, but it’s a mixer at my place.  

There’s enough Remus Repeal floating around for $15 more and 2x as old at 100 proof where MGP really shines for me to bother trying to find a honey barrel at 5-6 years.  

The MGP expert has spoken. 

Yeah I’ve been circling around Remus Repeal Batch IV for a couple months. I need to pick one up.