Bourbon

Jimbaround

9ed04d371bd8cd75bee6dde70aaecb95.jpg

You go to the wife’s grandmother’s house every year for thanksgiving, and it’s year number 15 that you stumble across the old box of liquor in the hall closet while looking for an extra cable for the tv. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 1973 of this very bottle just fireball’d for $1800 so I think my estimation of $1500 was pretty close.

One of the national groups, I assume? I’ll have to ask a buddy that’s on all of those. I can’t keep up with more than 2-3 of the TX ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a national group in the sense that it’s got guys from coast to coast, but it’s capped at 2k members. Nothing insane like the old bsm groups of 25k

Cool, thanks y’all - Will give those a look tomorrow.

Had some good finds today but will wait to post the entire haul from this trip.

On one stop where all I found was some extremely rare mescal, I was talking the manager up about their allocation. Seems they hold most of it until the 2nd week of December for a first-come-first-served release at retail prices. Said they have a line a couple hundred deep by the night before but most walk with bottles, and given that he has a case of Pappy waiting, I can only imagine what else is back there... one hint was a $3500 bottle of Woodford. Who knows WHAT that could be... but the first in line last year walked with a 23YO Heaven Hill.

Anyway, apparently people drive from Chicago and southern Georgia for the sale, which for a small store in Nashville seems crazy, but that’s the state of things these days...

they're barrel picks from the railbird fest.  you can buy them through justin's house of bourbon's online partner.

did they specifically launch to buy at 10am kentucky time?  yes.

is that 7am my time?  yes.

was the wife wondering wtf was going on when i had my laptop in bed that early?  probably.

did i tell her shhh, it's a dream, go back to sleep, while the website kept crashing?  yes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

they're barrel picks from the railbird fest.  you can buy them through justin's house of bourbon's online partner.

did they specifically launch to buy at 10am kentucky time?  yes.

is that 7am my time?  yes.

was the wife wondering wtf was going on when i had my laptop in bed that early?  probably.

did i tell her shhh, it's a dream, go back to sleep, while the website kept crashing?  yes.

All seems perfectly reasonable to me.  

1 minute ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Can you remind me what the mix is for poor man’s pappy?

60%, or 450 ml Weller Antique and 40%, or 300 ml Weller 12. Let it sit for at least two weeks in a clean glass bottle with a solid cork. I let mine sit for a year and drink it on the long holiday weekends. 

I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup. Others use electric scales which seems unnecessarily difficult to me. 

There are countless other recipes/ratios out there, but this the aforementioned 60/40 is the most popular. 

Please note: Some will argue that Poor Man’s Pappy is actually a Weller Centennial recipe. This is asinine to me. When 95% of the bourbon community accept it as Poor Man’s Pappy, just call it that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

60%, or 450 ml Weller Antique and 40%, or 300 ml Weller 12. Let it sit for at least two weeks in a clean glass bottle with a solid cork. I let mine sit for a year and drink it on the long holiday weekends. 

I use a glass Pyrex measuring cup. Others use electric scales which seems unnecessarily difficult to me. 

There are countless other recipes/ratios out there, but this the aforementioned 60/40 is the most popular. 

Please note: Some will argue that Poor Man’s Pappy is actually a Weller Centennial recipe. This is asinine to me. When 95% of the bourbon community accept it as Poor Man’s Pappy, just call it that. 

Perfect. I guess I’ll just go down to Specs and pick up a couple of 12s. Shouldn’t be a problem.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Is the mix really good? I mean is mixing it an improvement compared to each bottle individually or is it just a different tasty dram?

My pallet has changed so much. It’s iffy between Weller 12 vs Poor Man’s Pappy. I’d taste both if you’re not sure. 

PMP is definitely better than regular Antique. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Haha I wish there was a viable alternative. I’m extremely low myself. After the next double batch of PMP, I’ll be down to a single handle of W12. 

Shit, I can recall four years ago when I lost a large batch of PMP to a shitty mini-barrel I purchased on Amazon. Went down the hill, snagged a bottle of Antique and 12 for $35 a piece and went back up to make another batch... FML

Anyway, tonight was fun. Started with a 2017 Sazerac 18, moved onto this year’s Hancock, then finished with a 2017 WLW compliments of the manager who was a rockstar. She pulled out her bottle of Pappy Rye at the end and I thought we were going to crack it, but apparently promises had been made. Now back home sipping on Smokewagon and trying to forget the Cowboys exist as a thing.

7f599ce3541fec612c9cfedb167e6a6e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Is the mix really good? I mean is mixing it an improvement compared to each bottle individually or is it just a different tasty dram?

I did it with 50% OWA, 40% W12 and 10% Stagg Jr and loved it.  It could possibly have beat everything up through ORVW blind.  

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Shit, I can recall four years ago when I lost a large batch of PMP to a shitty mini-barrel I purchased on Amazon. Went down the hill, snagged a bottle of Antique and 12 for $35 a piece and went back up to make another batch... FML

Anyway, tonight was fun. Started with a 2017 Sazerac 18, moved onto this year’s Hancock, then finished with a 2017 WLW compliments of the manager who was a rockstar. She pulled out her bottle of Pappy Rye at the end and I thought we were going to crack it, but apparently promises had been made. Now back home sipping on Smokewagon and trying to forget the Cowboys exist as a thing.

Along those lines I wonder what readily available handles today will be near impossible to get in four years?   Any best guesses?

8 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Along those lines I wonder what readily available handles today will be near impossible to get in four years?   Any best guesses?

Probably Larceny, Wild Turkey 101 and/or Ancient Age. 

Each of those make as much sense as a Weller cult. Larceny because it's the next best available wheater, and the other two because they are dusty old brands ripe for rehabilitation. Ancient Age in particular is just begging for the Henry McKenna treatment. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Probably Larceny, Wild Turkey 101 and/or Ancient Age. 

Each of those make as much sense as a Weller cult. Larceny because it's the next best available wheater, and the other two because they are dusty old brands ripe for rehabilitation. Ancient Age in particular is just begging for the Henry McKenna treatment. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I wasn’t sure if you were being serious at first. 

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

The home barrels might be the world’s biggest scam. I’m seeing them everywhere now. Home Depot, Target, Academy. 

I never had one batch of anything that turned out well. They leak incessantly if you don’t fill it completely and turn the barrel a few times a day. And even then your yield is terrible. Maybe 2/3rds if you’re lucky. 

The nicest thing I ever put in there was Woodford Reserve Rye and the barrel ate half the bottle.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My pallet has changed so much. It’s iffy between Weller 12 vs Poor Man’s Pappy. I’d taste both if you’re not sure. 

PMP is definitely better than regular Antique. 

I am the opposite.  To me, PMP is better than straight W12 but not OWA.  
I don't like W12 by itself.  Keep it on hand strictly for PMP.  
I drink the shit out of OWA's, especially picks.

I've heard nothing but positive things about the Weller Full Proof. Is it really that good? Seems like a good comp would be another strong wheater like Larceny BP. How do they compare? 
I really want this bottle, but it has eluded me. 

Never had the larceny BP but this was an excellent pour. Would highly recommend at retail.

19 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've heard nothing but positive things about the Weller Full Proof. Is it really that good? Seems like a good comp would be another strong wheater like Larceny BP. How do they compare? 

It’s pretty damn good in store pick version, but pretty average in the standard bottling. They go for about $300 and $270 respectively so if you’re going to throw down for a bottle might as well go all the way. It’s significantly better than Larceny BP, which doesn’t suck but isn’t worth a penny over retail. If you want something in the middle grab a 7 yr Boone County Wheated single barrel.  It’s pretty much the best available barrel proof wheater that isn’t WLW and only runs $150 secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It’s dressed up Antique. Good, but not great. My biggest problem with Antique is the clove note. Full Proof takes care of this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had it at PG before the shutdown. It’s outstanding for $50 or whatever MSRP is.

But it’s not BTAC level good.

Of all the outstanding whiskey I’ve had in Tennessee this week, tonight’s 1-2 punch may have left the most inedible impression.

Dinner at Husk tonight demanded quality, so I opened up with 2017 ER17. Just a beautiful pour, taking everything I love about ER, extending the mouthfeel and softening the backend. If I could, I would drink this every day.

After dinner I went down to the bar to see if they had anything off list, and was stunned to find this year’s Heaven Hill 27 BP sitting next to a Yellowstone from the 70’s. Was able to convince them to give me a 1oz pour for half-price and good lord what a ride... Soft yet powerful, bright yet layered with darker notes. Just a magnificent pour all the way through and I only wish it had lasted longer.

Perhaps 10-20 mins after I emptied the glass, multiple people at the table where picking up the sweetness of the most wafting through the room, which is pretty remarkable coming out of a glencairn.

• Hook 'Em 1

Of all the outstanding whiskey I’ve had in Tennessee this week, tonight’s 1-2 punch may have left the most inedible impression.

Dinner at Husk tonight demanded quality, so I opened up with 2017 ER17. Just a beautiful pour, taking everything I love about ER, extending the mouthfeel and softening the backend. If I could, I would drink this every day.

After dinner I went down to the bar to see if they had anything off list, and was stunned to find this year’s Heaven Hill 27 BP sitting next to a Yellowstone from the 70’s. Was able to convince them to give me a 1oz pour for half-price and good lord what a ride... Soft yet powerful, bright yet layered with darker notes. Just a magnificent pour all the way through and I only wish it had lasted longer.

Perhaps 10-20 mins after I emptied the glass, multiple people at the table where picking up the sweetness of the most wafting through the room, which is pretty remarkable coming out of a glencairn.
Sean Brock is such a bourbon hound, I'm sure that bar has even better offerings hidden away.