Bourbon

Jimbaround

So I have purposefully and stubbornly avoided any Texas whiskeys when amassing my collection. But I picked up this store pick from Rice Fine Wines and Liquor in Houston, and it’s fucking delicious

5eec86f5ce787b31f53c474b79085878.jpg
e5a8c9b4025c0733634d088618e4ebbd.jpg

The blend is a MGP rye with TX/KY bourbons. Its 110 proof (main reason I bought it), but the regular bottles I’ve seen as low as 87 proof at a Spec’s.

Very happy with this specific bottle at $40. Sweet and spicy. I might try to get another tomorrow if still available. It dropped a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Austin Shaker is mixing things up this year... since they can’t to the 12 days of whiskey tastings they are just setting out their vault collection as Easter eggs for the next 2 weeks.

I stopped by the other day and got some nice stuff.

d08b602377d9f2135b7a76f330c570bf.jpg

Guy behind me was buying a bottle of Woodford Baccarat

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, Duke Silver said:

Finally found a ECBP B520 tonight. Gonna be a good night. 

Oddly, just got one at my store. Pretty late for a summer release. Well, as good as A120 is - B520 wins. It’s sublime. The lower proof helps in so many ways to showcase what this bourbon is all about. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Different batches/releases. A indicates the first release of the year. The las two digits indicate the year. 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has three releases every year: A, B, & C. 

Some enthusiasts will nerd out, and claims certain batches are vastly superior to others and chase them. These are probably the same people chasing Blanton's dump dates. 

Spoiler : Every ECBP release is pretty good. It's barrel proof, 12 year old Elijah Craig. 

With all due respect (I know you enjoy great bourbon), that’s like saying every batch of George T Stagg is the same. It’s simply not true. 

ECBP B120 Review

Nose: this is fascinating. I’m getting a lot of notes reminiscent of GTS. There’s an undeniable oak presence but it’s not dominating (like 2017 GTS) and is quite pleasant. Strong graham cracker. Bit of roasted peanut (typically a palate trait of HH). Touch of light molasses and honeysuckle. Getting also some cornbread stuffing. Alcohol subdued even on a fresh pour. Completely gone after 10-15 mins. 

Taste/Finish: This is tannic. The oak notes are there. As is saddle leather. But it’s a touch more bitter than the nose implies. Like a caramel brûlée that was scorched. Wants to be sweeter, but the toast on the sugar takes over. There’s oodles of peppercorn on the back of the tongue. It’s viscous but not terribly oily. Good coat. Burn is light down the pipe. As the tannins and pepper fades, it gives way to that sweetness that was lurking under the surface. And a hint of pipe tobacco. Incredibly complex finish for an ECBP. Lingers for hours. Lots going on here but there’s something just fails to connect all the dots - complexity is good, but complexity and harmony can coexist. 

Overall this is a damn fine pour and probably one of the better ECBPs I’ve had since Batch 1. Definitely recommend you grab one at retail if you can. Anything under $80 - probably worth it. 

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

image.thumb.jpeg.c52469af94fbbbaeda36173917e902c1.jpeg

folks getting crushed

If you checked my sport coats/suit jackets right now, most of them would probably have a flat koozie in the inner breast pocket. Weddings were fun. Don’t know that I’d travel with a hard side koozie like that Ultra fan right there. You keep doing god’s work though with the ORVW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there seem to be a few out there, this is from etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/865203946/old-forester-1915-custom-blend-label

I’ve been dancing around blending a batch of 1915 for a while. Probably after Christmas. I’ll skip the labels, but it’s a certainly a cool gift idea for an Old Forester fan.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

[mention=1601]Party_Taco[/mention] you ever mess around with Bowman special releases? I saw a couple on Reddit. 

I’ve yet to purchase a bottle of Bowman, personally holding out for A. Smith, but now I’m curious. Anyone here tried them?

Also, I really want to get my hands on one of those elderly High West bottles. Is there a particular time of year they usually release? Would happily book another week at Blue Sky if the timing worked out.

18 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I’ve yet to purchase a bottle of Bowman, personally holding out for A. Smith, but now I’m curious. Anyone here tried them?

Have had several offerings from Bowman distilleries the last few years.  I have a couple unopened bottles of Pioneer Spirit on the bar now  They're good, but I haven't been really blown away by any of them yet. I do like their port barrel finished bourbon. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

8 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Also, I really want to get my hands on one of those elderly High West bottles. Is there a particular time of year they usually release? Would happily book another week at Blue Sky if the timing worked out.

I really like the Bowman Single Barrel. If it said Kentucky instead of Virginia on the bottle it’d be another Buffalo Trace madness bottle. 

Regarding High West, my understanding is that this the first “older” release in 4-5 years. I don’t think it’s an annual thing. But yeah, hanging in Park City sounds like an awesome idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I've heard the John is the best of the Bowmans. It's on my radar but haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I remember a couple years ago on the bsm pages Bowman had a cocoa finished offering that had everyone in an absolute tizzy trying to find it. Never seen it or even know anyone that has had it but I’m very interested m.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just saw this over on Reddit. Amazing job with the labels. They should probably investigate the poster for counterfeiting Pappy. 

A guy from the Bourbon Junkies Facebook group created these. He sells them if you’re interested. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSewBZ6Vj8F19XV8kWp73uyUxjtaBK68VSvfWwQJ5Mb2xdRhOg/viewform

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

Looks like they fixed the glitch. It rang up at $69.99 today at Specs. Is it worth it at $70?

I really like it. I'd say it's better than EH Taylor Rye after drinking both this year. I've paid $90 for it a couple times at mom-and-pop store and didn't bat an eye. 

Top 3 rye in my book. Handy, Michter's Barrel Strength Toasted Finish, and MWND.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1