Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Never been a fan 

In one of my finer moments as a dumbass teenager, I funneled Jack Daniels with beer chasers. Up until that point I drank JD like water pretty much daily. Now it makes me sick to smell it. The rest of that night I have zero recollection of still comes up when we all get together.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not saying Jack is good, just better than Beam. Well, open bar Jack is good. Gentleman Jack is solid, probably good enough to be a daily drinker if you lived in the middle of nowhere. 

Jim Beam white, black, single barrel, and Old Tub are all hot garbage. 

Jack Single Barrel is reasonably priced and not bad.

Is also not bourbon, but it kinda close to it. It's like the question of whether or not Rush is heavy metal...

Edited by Rimbo

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Jack Single Barrel is reasonably priced and not bad.

Is also not bourbon, but it kinda close to it. It's like the question of whether or not Rush is heavy metal...

Jack meets all the qualifications to be bourbon. JD calls their product Tennessee Whiskey by choice to distinguish themselves in a very crowded marketplace. 

The sleeper of JD’s lineup is their ryes. I fully expect people to lose their minds when Old Forester releases their SiB Barrel Strength Rye. People will sleep outside of Longhorn Liquor for it. Spec’s will set out 30 cases and it’ll sell out in an hour. I hope people continue to turn their noses at JD and their SiB Barrel Strength Rye is a reliable shelfer.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jack meets all the qualifications to be bourbon. JD calls their product Tennessee Whiskey by choice to distinguish themselves in a very crowded marketplace. 

The sleeper of JD’s lineup is their ryes. I fully expect people to lose their minds when Old Forester releases their SiB Barrel Strength Rye. People will sleep outside of Longhorn Liquor for it. Spec’s will set out 30 cases and it’ll sell out in an hour. I hope people continue to turn their noses at JD and their SiB Barrel Strength Rye is a reliable shelfer.

Huh. I thought that there was something about the corn percentage, but turns out JD is 80% corn.

Turns out you're right according to this: https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/

“Jack Daniel’s was told by the government that they had to call it a Bourbon,” explained a Jack Daniel’s spokesperson. “We objected and used the fact that our whiskey is different and ‘doesn’t have the characteristics of a bourbon.’” Reagor Motlow made several trips to the government office in Louisville to argue his case. Tests were conducted in the government laboratory there. In the end, the government concluded that Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey had “neither the characteristics of bourbon or rye whiskey but rather is a distinctive product which may be labeled whiskey.” The decision was spelled out in an official letter withdrawing the agency’s earlier objections to the label as proposed.

Reagor would have preferred the creation of a ‘Tennessee whiskey’ classification, but he took what he could get.

It is unclear what tests were performed in Louisville and what they might have found to distinguish Jack Daniel’s from bourbon. I prefer to imagine Reagor and the government guys in the ‘lab’ (i.e., bar) performing organoleptic tests (i.e., drinking), when after the third or fourth round one of the government guys declared, “now that you mention it, I think this does taste different.”

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

When might such a thing happen?

18 minutes ago, stork642 said:

When might such a thing happen?

JD SiB Barrel Strength Rye is out. Maybe not in Texas, but it’s all over Reddit right now. 

Regarding, OF SiB Barrel Strength Rye the label has been submitted to TTB. Link: https://ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=20336001000344

Your guess is as good as mine on the release date. For a reference point, OF Rye 100 proof was released in February 2019. A picture of the label was “leaked” in April 2018. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Huh. I thought that there was something about the corn percentage, but turns out JD is 80% corn.

Turns out you're right according to this: https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/american-whiskey/jack-daniels-bourbon-definitive-answer/

hmm i always thought they were forced to call it sour mash because at one point you had to be distilled in ky to call yourself bourbon. 

no idea where i heard that. 

1 hour ago, Jimbaround said:

It's fine to turn your nose up at Jack Daniels, but those $6 32oz Jack and Cokes at the Marquis will always hold a place in my heart.

The Cloak Room (the bar) in Austin made some drink where they mixed 5 different whiskeys in a 20 oz pint glass. I remember Jim Beam, and Jack Daniel’s were ingredients. That’s all I remember. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

hmm i always thought they were forced to call it sour mash because at one point you had to be distilled in ky to call yourself bourbon. 

no idea where i heard that. 

we hear all these weird things when, in the end, the reason is simply, "because we don't want to"

kinda uniquely American actually

hell, I was just trying to troll with that, didn't realize we'd all end up learning something from the experience

Edited by Rimbo

Funny aside, Ezra Brooks was created as a knock off to Jack Daniel’s. Think Rtic-Yeti. Ezra Brooks copied JD’s distilling processes, charcoal filtering, bottle shape, and label. Link: https://sippncorn.blogspot.com/2015/02/copycat-whiskey-story-of-ezra-brooks.html?m=1

I’ve mentioned this upthread, JD was allocated beginning in the late 50s and well into the 70s. While I’m sure it tasted much better back then (it was 90 proof), I think the rarity probably contributed to Sinatra’s love of JD. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are you familiar with the department of Treasury’s response (dated March 28, 1941) to Jack Daniels request to create a new category, Tennessee whiskey, like Kentucky bourbon?

This is where Daniels himself submitted samples to the Buereu’s lab for analysis. And Treasury’s subsequent opinion on the subject of exactly what they consider it.

Here is the letter from Treasury. My guess is Daniels was fully aware of the long term benefits of getting his mash its own classification. Treasury knew where he was going with it and nixed it. They knew that if they capitulated, everyone would tweak a recipe just enough to establish new class of spirits. They said fuck that.

Treasury Letter.jpeg

10 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

It's fine to turn your nose up at Jack Daniels, but those $6 32oz Jack and Cokes at the Marquis will always hold a place in my heart.

Once you mix it it's pretty much fine. One bourbon I do not like the taste of when mixed, but like it for sipping is Makers Mark.  

Mixed a few Bourbon and gingers with it back in the day and just didn't like the taste. Gimme Beam and ginger over makers and ginger or Jack and ginger (staying on topic), but Makers for sipping.