Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

About how old are those bottles?  They’re from before I started drinking Weller.

I have one and posted it up thread.  Even Bozo was impressed which might have been the highlight for me of 2017 or whenever that was, #internetrespectisthebest

I scored a bottle of Midwinter today at the place not to be named.  It and the BB are the two that have been on my wish list that I thought were somewhat reasonably attainable.  One down, one to go.

3 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

So that’s what I am curious about. I know I’ve seen stuff in the past, but a quick google left me scratching my head. Seemed to find some threads that made it seem like a couple hundred, while others related to auction houses were more like you’re saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll trade you a ‘19 George T Stagg, a ‘20 Birthday Bourbon and a Rock Hill Farms for just one of them if that gives you an idea on value. 

5 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

9ed04d371bd8cd75bee6dde70aaecb95.jpg

You go to the wife’s grandmother’s house every year for thanksgiving, and it’s year number 15 that you stumble across the old box of liquor in the hall closet while looking for an extra cable for the tv. Lol

Now that’s actually really special whiskey, as opposed to all these cockamamie special release single barrels. 

I’ll trade you a ‘19 George T Stagg, a ‘20 Birthday Bourbon and a Rock Hill Farms for just one of them if that gives you an idea on value. 

Definitely interested. I’ve convinced myself that one is likely to stay in my possession as a showpiece. Had initially wanted to go the route of a cash sale to lessen the blow a Christmas puppy that’s due for pickup in a few weeks, but you definitely checked some boxes there. I can shoot you a message on here to discuss feasibility of logistics and whatnot if serious.

5 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Definitely interested. I’ve convinced myself that one is likely to stay in my possession as a showpiece. Had initially wanted to go the route of a cash sale to lessen the blow a Christmas puppy that’s due for pickup in a few weeks, but you definitely checked some boxes there. I can shoot you a message on here to discuss feasibility of logistics and whatnot if serious.

Serious as long as the fill level and condition are good on the one you want to cut loose.  Shoot me a message when you’re ready. 

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

One of my personal favorites. 

Gun to my head, I probably like it better than Midwinter Nights Dram. MWND is a Christmas only rye in my opinion. You can drink EHT Rye every month of the year

Went back to get another per bill's testimony and of course they were gone. Grabbed a store pick of prairie bourbon instead. 

20201125_132731.jpg

20201125_132741.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just opened up some ancient age to mix in a drink. Pretty pretty good.

That whole product line is fascinating to me. They got rid of the Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year due to limited supply and replaced it with Ancient Age 10 Star in order to keep the name out there. Supposed it will eventually return to the age statement, but for now it’s just a young tasting Blantons mash bill. Never had the straight up Ancient Age though. Regardless, that Ancient Ancient age is the only plastic bottle I’ve ever muled in my checked bag for someone. Lol

21 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just grabbed

Angels Envy 2020 Cask Strength

Little Book Chapter 4 (I just need to find Chapter 3) - It was part of a TL store combo

1792 Full Proof

Then some various & sundry (Still, Bulleit eg)

I love Little Book 3. Beam not making cask strength Basil Hayden’s is a crime. 

#JusticeForBasil

4 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Grabbed a 1792 12 year today.@billfromlaketravis you'll have to let me know how it is

I don’t know when I’ll get to it. I’m into a Old  Scout Cask Strength Bourbon store pick right now. Poor Man Pappy for Thanksgiving. I’ll follow that with a double batch of PMP, and drink the leftovers. 

I’ve been so bourbon heavy lately. I better go rye next weekend. It won’t be 2019 Handy. I need to figure out my Christmas allotment before I pull the trigger on my one and only BTAC. 

2 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Snagged some fun things from the bottle shop... should be a productive week out here!

I could tell by the pallets. I remember some dumb Jack Daniels commercial where they’re burning the same type of pallets. 

Did you see any of the long rumored Jack SiB Barre Strength Rye? 

13 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Bah, no... wasn’t even aware of that pending release or I certainly would have asked, but I didn’t see any in the shop.

I’d imagine it was ‘rona delayed. I believe they submitted a label to the authorities, so it exists on paper. 

SiB rye is their best product in my opinion. If they made a barrel strength version, I’d buy at least 6. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Based on my last bottle of Blanton’s, you might have those arranged in the right order. 

What’s everyone’s recipe on Manhattans? I used to do 2:1 but found a bar manual that said 2.75 oz rye to .75 oz vermouth and I’m liking that a lot. 

3:1, but don't forget the goddamn Luxardo cherries

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A good Buffalo Trace store pick will beat Eagle Rare. A handle is one of the better values in bourbon. 

I thought Eagle Rare was a longer aged Buffalo Trace, is that not correct? Or does it being a store pick change it significantly?

Stopped at a liquor store in Lockhart today that had a 1.75L Eagle Rare for $250, lulz

Obviously didn’t buy. Did get a bottle of woodford double oak and bulleit 10 year though

Just now, Fud said:

I thought Eagle Rare was a longer aged Buffalo Trace, is that not correct? Or does it being a store pick change it significantly?

Stopped at a liquor store in Lockhart today that had a 1.75L Eagle Rare for $250, lulz

Obviously didn’t buy. Did get a bottle of woodford double oak and bulleit 10 year though

Buffalo Trace has no age statement, but it’s estimated at 8-10 years. Probably 8 years in most cases. Maybe the store picks are aged a little longer. ER and BT are the same mashbill and proof, but I think they each have distinct notes. 

All of the store picks I’ve tasted have a milder to non-existent grassy note than the regular BT. I think I prefer the BT store picks to ER because they drink above their proof. ER tastes like a lower proof than 90. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Based on my last bottle of Blanton’s, you might have those arranged in the right order. 

What’s everyone’s recipe on Manhattans? I used to do 2:1 but found a bar manual that said 2.75 oz rye to .75 oz vermouth and I’m liking that a lot. 

I’ll do 2:1 so long as I have Carpano Antica on hand. Otherwise closer to 3:1.