Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I got mine the most rewarding way- to buy wine and liquor I then consumed, without really thinking about points.

But as it happens they are doing 10X points on spirits direct wine and 4X on spirits direct liquor right now.

What’s the number on grand reserve? 

So, popped out to the Shaker raffle today for the first time. Don’t get nearly the tickets I anticipated going in as the last two weeks were crazy, but wanted to see what it was all about.

3800 or so tickets for ~300 folks in attendance, so decent odds given the average ticket/per was probably around 5.

9666c3dcf11542865e380c73b415d935.jpg

Never had my name called, but the dude next to me wasn’t interested by the time his was so I snagged this peat bomb:

323b695b11190b1c3070b20cb82acd66.jpg

May never crack it, but at least I snagged this winner at the tastings:

3805e5ab1505f8e5a2b30b9131833a8f.jpg

80% of the folks who walked with unicorns had already won a bottle in the first round, so clearly the only way to play is to max tickets and bring friends who do the same.

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

So, popped out to the Shaker raffle today for the first time. Don’t get nearly the tickets I anticipated going in as the last two weeks were crazy, but wanted to see what it was all about.

3800 or so tickets for ~300 folks in attendance, so decent odds given the average ticket/per was probably around 5.

Math!  How does it work?!

• Hook 'Em 1

Math!  How does it work?!

You could only pull one bottle in the big drawing, so all other tickets were void. Lotta those folks had 16-20 tickets, so like I said odds still pretty good. They did a show of hands at the end and about 50% of those in attendance got an allocated bottle.

I’m just saying that was the average as I spoke to several folks like myself who only had 2-3 tickets.

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

9666c3dcf11542865e380c73b415d935.jpg

Never had my name called, but the dude next to me wasn’t interested by the time his was so I snagged this peat bomb:

323b695b11190b1c3070b20cb82acd66.jpg

May never crack it, but at least I snagged this winner at the tastings:

3805e5ab1505f8e5a2b30b9131833a8f.jpg

80% of the folks who walked with unicorns had already won a bottle in the first round, so clearly the only way to play is to max tickets and bring friends who do the same.

The Spec’s call list has it’s problems, but  it’s a meritocracy, not strictly a lottery. 

RIP Houston Woodway Goody Goody weekly raffle. If the Baptists killed it off, I’ll never forgive them. 

The Spec’s call list has it’s problems, but  it’s a meritocracy, not strictly a lottery. 

RIP Houston Woodway Goody Goody weekly raffle. If the Baptists killed it off, I’ll never forgive them. 

I don’t spend enough anymore/any particular place for that kind of system to make sense for me. You get a chance for this just by showing up and drinking free booze, so who am I to complain.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 9:26 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the easiest/cheapest path to Total Wine Grand Reserve status?

I’ve heard about ways to game the system. Buy a case of Spirits Direct wine on a certain day and get 10x points or something. 

Generally, you're correct.  About once every month or two you'll have the option to buy Spirits Direct wine for 10x points.  You can do it on any day as long as you activate the deal on your account.  I don't drink a lot of wine, but I do give it away as gifts.  So I spend $250 (or less depending on my current point total) during a 10x deal and I have Grand Reserve and most of my gifts for the year taken care of.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You made the right decision

It's a place where you can also get a drink, and they usually have some good stuff at good prices that are always changing. Saw tonight they had a Willit purple top for $20 for a 1 oz. pour. Might have to go back for that this weekend. 

Edited by Mo Horn

In Nashville tomorrow with a free afternoon.  Any reason I should not go to the distillery in Lynchburg 72 miles down the road?

Any other whiskey recommendations for the area?

Edited by slorch

I pulled together a small batch of bourbon for spouse's Christmas stash: Jefferson Reserve, Four Roses Small Batch, Cask Strength Makers Mark, and Buffalo Trace. Not the super fancy stuff because I don't merit the big purchase type customer lists but I think he'll enjoy it. The best buy was actually this summer when I found a bottle of Blanton's for 75.00. Much better price I thought. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I pulled together a small batch of bourbon for spouse's Christmas stash: Jefferson Reserve, Four Roses Small Batch, Cask Strength Makers Mark, and Buffalo Trace. Not the super fancy stuff because I don't merit the big purchase type customer lists but I think he'll enjoy it. The best buy was actually this summer when I found a bottle of Blanton's for 75.00. Much better price I thought. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

I bet if you stage a blind taste test against most of the allocated bourbons you’ll find the Makers is #1 or #2.

9 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I bet if you stage a blind taste test against most of the allocated bourbons you’ll find the Makers is #1 or #2.

I wouldn't take that bet as you're likely correct, it's one of his faves. I don't drink bourbon save for rare occasions but he's commented more than once on that one. He doesn't like to buy the pricier potables for his regular stash or spend on himself so I enjoy taking note of the preferred bottles.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:21 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Stop at Southern Collective.

https://southerncollectivespiritco.com/

They are doing some great blends.
You have to go to JD. It’s one of the best experiences you can have.
Just got back from there.

I did the Bonded tour this afternoon.  I deeply enjoyed the museum piece and walking through the ‘hollowed ground.’ I appreciated learning more about Jack’s story and I got a kick out of how much they emphasized his relationship with Uncle Nearest, as if it was Huck and Jim.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t; but I enjoyed reading/ hearing about it just the same.

The tasting was Jack, Gentleman Jack, JD Bonded, JD BondedRye, and Triple Mash. 

White Rabbit Bottle shop prices were above the retail I pay at home, and no Triple Mash was available. Ex: Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye was $75.

Definitely recommend doing the tour, just as you did; but I was hoping for something unique or special on the tasting.

Edited by slorch

I did the Bonded tour this afternoon.  I deeply enjoyed the museum piece and walking through the ‘hollowed ground.’ I appreciated learning more about Jack’s story and I got a kick out of how much they emphasized his relationship with Uncle Nearest, as if it was Huck and Jim.  Maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t; but I enjoyed reading/ hearing about it just the same.

White Rabbit Bottle shop prices were above the retail I pay at home, and no Triple Mash was available. Ex: Single Barrel Barrel Proof Rye was $75.
Definitely recommend doing the tour, just as you did; but I was hoping for something unique or special on the tasting.

I was curious to what they offered for the tastings,
We went to do a barrel pick, so we didn’t do the regular tasting.

The Bonded Rye makes a killer Old Fashioned
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I wouldn't pay more than $60 after tax for one, but that's partly because I don't think it's that great. Some people pay $100+ and are happy to do so.

Thanks, the ones they have are around $105 if I remember correctly but I'll have to double check 

4 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

There is an app called BoozApp

Thanks I'll check it out 

6 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I couldn't find anything through the search but is there a site or app for bourbon msrp's you guys regularly rely on? I found two EHT small batches at a place by my house but I think they're way over priced. 

Breaking Bourbon always has the MSRP in their review. 

But the BoozApp is probably faster. 

• Hook 'Em 1