2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If I understood correctly, Hookfin and Jones were not in the scrimmage. Only one of the top three tackles were available. 

Hasn't Karic been looking better than both of them? Are they really 2 of our top 3 tackles? 

FCB

Spoiler

— A couple special teams nuggets from spring football ...

Right now, Cameron Dicker is standing out as the team's punter in a battle with Ryan Bujcevski, who is coming back from a torn ACL suffered last season against West Virginia, and freshman Isaac Pearson of Australia, sources told Horns247.

Dicker finished the season as UT's punter in 2020, averaging 43.6 yards on eight punts in the final four games of the season, including six resulting in fair catches, two inside the opponent's 20 with a long of 53 yards. Seven of Dicker's punts covered at least 40 yards. The only one that didn't was pinned at the opponent's 7-yard-line.

Bujcevski averaged 43.3 yards on 39 punts last season, including nine resulting in fair catches, 15 inside the opponent's 20, nine of 50 yards or longer (with a long of 60 yards) and two punts that were blocked.

Pearson has struggled to find consistency at this point, sources said.

Also, right now, quarterback Hudson Card is getting work as Dicker's holder on field goals. Last season, Bujcevski was Dicker's holder on field goals.

Dicker was 15 of 21 on field-goal attempts (71.4 percent) in 2020 - going 6-of-6 on attempts from 20-29 yards; 4-of-6 on attempts of 30-39 yards; 4-of-7 on attempts of 40-49 yards; and 1-of-2 on attempts of 50-plus yards.

Dicker has hit three game-winning field goals in his career - against Oklahoma in 2018 and against Kansas and Kansas State in 2019 and barely missed a 57-yarder as time expired to tie the game against Iowa State in 2020.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

FCB

Hide contents

— A couple special teams nuggets from spring football ...

Right now, Cameron Dicker is standing out as the team's punter in a battle with Ryan Bujcevski, who is coming back from a torn ACL suffered last season against West Virginia, and freshman Isaac Pearson of Australia, sources told Horns247.

Dicker finished the season as UT's punter in 2020, averaging 43.6 yards on eight punts in the final four games of the season, including six resulting in fair catches, two inside the opponent's 20 with a long of 53 yards. Seven of Dicker's punts covered at least 40 yards. The only one that didn't was pinned at the opponent's 7-yard-line.

Bujcevski averaged 43.3 yards on 39 punts last season, including nine resulting in fair catches, 15 inside the opponent's 20, nine of 50 yards or longer (with a long of 60 yards) and two punts that were blocked.

Pearson has struggled to find consistency at this point, sources said.

Also, right now, quarterback Hudson Card is getting work as Dicker's holder on field goals. Last season, Bujcevski was Dicker's holder on field goals.

Dicker was 15 of 21 on field-goal attempts (71.4 percent) in 2020 - going 6-of-6 on attempts from 20-29 yards; 4-of-6 on attempts of 30-39 yards; 4-of-7 on attempts of 40-49 yards; and 1-of-2 on attempts of 50-plus yards.

Dicker has hit three game-winning field goals in his career - against Oklahoma in 2018 and against Kansas and Kansas State in 2019 and barely missed a 57-yarder as time expired to tie the game against Iowa State in 2020.

I don't love having a combo punter/kicker, but Banks does know what he's doing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

FCB aside, (and anything he says should be taken with an entire salt mine) but a couple weeks ago people were implying I was crazy for saying "dont be shocked if Dicker pulls double duty this year". Of course its still early and Buj could regain his job...but our Aussies have never been ready to start fresh off the boat, not even Dicko.

Sark press conference has started.

Sarkisian said this week is for honing in on the situations of the game, whether it's red zone, goal line, backed up. Early on in practice, the installation was learning the schemes and plays. Now this week is big for applying that scheme to individual situations.

Sarkisian on DE/OLB: "They're a really key component to what we do. We're a 'create negative play' defense." -- "They need to create havoc in the run game. They need to be physical at the point of attack." -- Said they also need to be able to affect the QB. -- "(Recruiting wise) It's going to be a position we definitely have to focus on going forward."

On QBs:

Sarkisian said he keeps it real with QBs knowing where they are on the depth chart and that hasn't changed since he was an assistant coach.

He doesn't feel his approach at coaching QBs hasn't changed. But the style of the game has shifted some so the style of player has changed some.

I like having a QB as holder. This is a very definite thing that must be taken into account by the opposition's D, which affects what else the D can do. Gives you some ideas about what Banks is going to get up to. Definitely better than the Charlie approach, and should surpass the #MensaTom approach. I'll expect to see us score at least a couple or few TDs on ST this fall, on returns, on our own fake punts/kicks, and turnovers taken away from oppo's punt/kick receivers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On transfers:

Sark said he doesn't really know if the potential one-time transfer rule without sitting out is a good or bad thing.

At times, the transfer portal doesn't allow the coaches to teach the trait of perseverance.

On the flip side, Sark said the portal does help out some guys and helps teams fill needs on the roster.

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well Jones is currently the starter at LT, and Hookfin is the second team RT. Kerstetter is still out. So, yes? 

Idk man. If Karic is better than them, is it really possible they could be 2 of the top 3. I’m just not convinced the math works out on that one. 

34 minutes ago, ousux said:

FCB aside, (and anything he says should be taken with an entire salt mine) but a couple weeks ago people were implying I was crazy for saying "dont be shocked if Dicker pulls double duty this year". Of course its still early and Buj could regain his job...but our Aussies have never been ready to start fresh off the boat, not even Dicko.

Slow down there, cowboy. Buj is 5 months removed from an ACL injury. It’s not surprising Dicker looks better than him right now. 

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding Okafor, he's a 6th year guy finally getting a full offseason at his natural position. He could potentially be pretty good inside. 

Pre-spring I kept waiting to hear "the coaches are intrigued by Okafor's athleticism and want to see what he can do at tackle". Pleasantly surprised we never did. 

• Haha 1

(Eric Nahlin) Spring Movers

Spoiler

We’re liking what we’re hearing about these players:

SO OL Andrej Karic: Only a sophomore but probably the most technically proficient offensive lineman in the program. Football is often about patience and not giving your plan away. That’s Karic. If he gets beat, the other guy just made an athletic play. Don’t underestimate his quickness.

SR CB Josh Thompson: It would be a shock if Thompson wasn’t one of the four captains for this team. Not only does he have the leadership qualities you want, but he’s making plays as well. You’d like to see him go up against Troy Omeire, but all he can do is defend who is in front of him. Based on what we’re hearing, we think Thompson is a future draft pick (mid-round).

SO CB Kitan Crawford: Crawford showed some bite as a freshman pup and is continuing to grow. He’d be a capable starter in most other programs but may have to wait his turn given the talent ahead of him. He’s a competitive, hard worker, on top of his physical gifts and size. Whispers are he may be ahead of Darion Dunn at this point.

SR XLB Ray Thornton: The thought is the zero-sum game between he and Karic is a case of two good players going back and forth. Thornton has an easier time versus the other tackles. Thornton combines good quickness with the physical maturity you’d expect from a player his age who spent his previous years in Baton Rouge. He’s mature in general and quickly becoming a team leader.

SO LB David Gbenda: We’ve been mentioning his improvement. It’s getting to the point there’s a very good chance Gbenda starts at Will when De’Marvion Overshown returns. That would give Texas an 11-flat 100 meter linebacker to go with the athletic one. That’s absurd. Get guys in the right position and coach them up. Sometimes it’s that simple.

JR WR Jordan Whittington: He’s the toughest wide receiver and also the most versatile and reliable. If his injury issues are behind him — fingers crossed — then he’ll have a breakout year. Too many receivers on the roster look to the sideline or the ground after a catch, he’s looking to make a play. Another reminder, they really need Omeire back, not just for his talent but physical presence and toughness.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding Okafor, he's a 6th year guy finally getting a full offseason at his natural position. He could potentially be pretty good inside. 

He was initially recruited by Wickline. Since then, he’s on his 4th OL coach, none of them have been particularly good, he’s been bumped around to different positions, and been in 4 very different systems.

If your goal was to purposely ruin OL prospects, I’m not sure you’d go about it much differently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

SR XLB Ray Thornton: The thought is the zero-sum game between he and Karic is a case of two good players going back and forth. Thornton has an easier time versus the other tackles. Thornton combines good quickness with the physical maturity you’d expect from a player his age who spent his previous years in Baton Rouge. He’s mature in general and quickly becoming a team leader.

This is definitely an interesting matchup. hopefully we get to see a lot of reps between the 1s in the spring game. Karic is pretty well suited to handle a speed rusher like Thornton. Power rushers are the guys that are likely to give Karic trouble at this stage in his career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I like having a QB as holder. This is a very definite thing that must be taken into account by the opposition's D, which affects what else the D can do. Gives you some ideas about what Banks is going to get up to. Definitely better than the Charlie approach, and should surpass the #MensaTom approach. I'll expect to see us score at least a couple or few TDs on ST this fall, on returns, on our own fake punts/kicks, and turnovers taken away from oppo's punt/kick receivers. 

Are you suggesting that Charlie actually HAD an approach?

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

It means that no matter how bad Mack and GDGD suck you can be like Applewhite, Vince and McCoy and ignore what has been called and get yourself out a bad play instead of being like Chris Simms that throws to a tight end in the middle of the field when you are about to take a two touchdown lead by running the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Russel Erxlaben did both at a very high level, so it can be done...

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Thanks to Herman going full dick at the Brockermeyers and striking out, our O-line is gonna take at least two recruiting cycles to get were we want to be.

Oh it was not not just that. It was so so many things last cycle.

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh it was not not just that. It was so so many things last cycle.

I'm trying to think of something comparable in the 30+ years I've been following Texas recruiting. To where we whiff on 80% of the Plan A's, and then all of the Plans C-F. 

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He was initially recruited by Wickline. Since then, he’s on his 4th OL coach, none of them have been particularly good, he’s been bumped around to different positions, and been in 4 very different systems.

If your goal was to purposely ruin OL prospects, I’m not sure you’d go about it much differently. 

Warehime could

• Haha 1