2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Interesting considering we are hearing that Epps may eventually leave.

They will ALL "eventually leave".

SAFETY

B.J. Foster and Jerrin Thompson have been holding down the first-team reps at safety

CORNERBACK

Josh Thompson has been the standout at corner in spring ball. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Read again. Thompson (QB) is going in first with the first team. Card plays with the first team as well but he goes in after Thompson.

Edit: I was too slow on the post and have a long way to go to get to Machinator's level.

We could have THREE "Thompson"s starting this fall.

Old Man Thompson has some good football genes.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d much rather hear a first year coach temper expectations, let his guys know they need to step it up and then, ultimately over perform rather than run his mouth about how good we look only to lose to Maryland while talking about winning being really really hard. 
Hypothetically speaking, of course

• Like 1

One thing that I used to love years ago was the open freshman practice to the public.  The internet is too big now to really offer the up close opportunities to see because of the volume of eyes now that would want to go... but back then it was cool.  

and you are right, old man Thompson sure did get around.  But some hits are more important than others... spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

@TEXASCOL posed these questions in the Q&A. Rather than us guessing, we put them to our sources.

Fastest: Josh Thompson and Joshua Moore were both mentioned. Jake Smith and D'Shawn Jamison are also in the conversation. Kitan Crawford is another one in contention.

From the staff’s standpoint, the question isn’t quite as subjective as the players wear speedometers, for lack of a better term.

There have been practices where Brenden Schooler clocks the fastest time of all the DBs, and Luke, yes Luke Brockermeyer, clocks the fastest time of the linebackers. Vernon Broughton is usually the guy who wins out on the D-line, though Prince Dorbah is the most explosive guy on the team as measured by force created from the ground (a vertical jump of sorts). We think that’s taking weight into consideration.

By the way, Troy Omeire pushing over 19 mph in pads doesn’t suck.

Strongest: Before he left it was Marqez Bimage. Now, it appears to be Keondre Coburn on defense, Junior Angilau on offense. Moro Ojomo belongs in the conversation as well.

Best athlete, pound-for-pound: D'Shawn Jamison was mentioned most. DeMarvion Overshown was also mentioned.

Most technical: Moro Ojomo was named among the DL. Derek Kerstetter and Andrej Karic were both mentioned on the OL.

Kerstetter is dressing out and doing drills, though he is not cleared for team action. The staff is likely protecting him from any situation where he can be rolled up on.

Most instinctive: Jerrin Thompson and Bijan Robinson were named. Terrance Cooks was also surprisingly given a mention.

Smartest: Kerstetter or Jake Majors. Ojomo was yet again named on defense. Roschon Johnson was also mentioned.

Most potential: Bijan and Alfred Collins. Kitan Crawford was also mentioned by two people.

• Hook 'Em 3

If Thompson and Moore are our two fastest players on the team I don't feel like we are an especially blazing fast squad. Sark will almost certainly value team speed more the Tom ever did.

Schooler seemed so slow on the field last year but he looked pretty damn fast chasing down Bijan (with an angle) and then this blurb has him clocking some of the fastest MPH of the dbs. If Ojomo is really the most technical DL we have and also the strongest and the smartest hopefully this is a breakout year for him.

54 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If Thompson and Moore are our two fastest players on the team I don't feel like we are an especially blazing fast squad. Sark will almost certainly value team speed more the Tom ever did.

Schooler seemed so slow on the field last year but he looked pretty damn fast chasing down Bijan (with an angle) and then this blurb has him clocking some of the fastest MPH of the dbs. If Ojomo is really the most technical DL we have and also the strongest and the smartest hopefully this is a breakout year for him.

I personally don't think you can look at last year and say we don't have speed. They weren't put in positions for that speed to be used properly. With good system and players being better coached they will look a lot faster, and that's a fact brother!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

I think Thompson was supposed to be fast as shit when we recruited him so that's not really a bad thing. Moore maybe since I don't think his top end speed is supposed to be amazing. Other thing to consider is that some of these guys probably move a lot better in pads than others.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

@TEXASCOL posed these questions in the Q&A. Rather than us guessing, we put them to our sources.

Fastest: Josh Thompson and Joshua Moore were both mentioned. Jake Smith and D'Shawn Jamison are also in the conversation. Kitan Crawford is another one in contention.

From the staff’s standpoint, the question isn’t quite as subjective as the players wear speedometers, for lack of a better term.

There have been practices where Brenden Schooler clocks the fastest time of all the DBs, and Luke, yes Luke Brockermeyer, clocks the fastest time of the linebackers. Vernon Broughton is usually the guy who wins out on the D-line, though Prince Dorbah is the most explosive guy on the team as measured by force created from the ground (a vertical jump of sorts). We think that’s taking weight into consideration.

By the way, Troy Omeire pushing over 19 mph in pads doesn’t suck.

Strongest: Before he left it was Marqez Bimage. Now, it appears to be Keondre Coburn on defense, Junior Angilau on offense. Moro Ojomo belongs in the conversation as well.

Best athlete, pound-for-pound: D'Shawn Jamison was mentioned most. DeMarvion Overshown was also mentioned.

Most technical: Moro Ojomo was named among the DL. Derek Kerstetter and Andrej Karic were both mentioned on the OL.

Kerstetter is dressing out and doing drills, though he is not cleared for team action. The staff is likely protecting him from any situation where he can be rolled up on.

Most instinctive: Jerrin Thompson and Bijan Robinson were named. Terrance Cooks was also surprisingly given a mention.

Smartest: Kerstetter or Jake Majors. Ojomo was yet again named on defense. Roschon Johnson was also mentioned.

Most potential: Bijan and Alfred Collins. Kitan Crawford was also mentioned by two people.

It's kinda embarrassing that a 14 year old is one of the smartest guy on the team.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Other thing to consider is that some of these guys probably move a lot better in pads than others.

True, and it sort of goes to the side conversation happening about Derrick Henry's speed. His 40 time was really impressive for his size but the number by itself (4.54) was pretty middling. Watch him in a game though and at times he looks like one of the fastest guys on the field. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I personally don't think you can look at last year and say we don't have speed. They weren't put in positions for that speed to be used properly. With good system and players being better coached they will look a lot faster, and that's a fact brother!

Sarkisian has mentioned a few times that he doesn't like wide receivers getting the ball standing still. That hasn't been the focus here in... maybe ever.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

True, and it sort of goes to the side conversation happening about Derrick Henry's speed. His 40 time was really impressive for his size but the number by itself (4.54) was pretty middling. Watch him in a game though and at times he looks like one of the fastest guys on the field. 

Thank you. A 4.54 40 is not fast for an NFL RB. Maybe those NFL DBs aren’t going all out to catch him because they don’t want to be posterized. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Thank you. A 4.54 40 is not fast for an NFL RB. Maybe those NFL DBs aren’t going all out to catch him because they don’t want to be posterized. 

He has multiple runs in the NFL of 90 yards or more including a 99 yarder. It's not because dbs are so terrified of getting posterized they just don't catch him. My point was he's really fast on the football field no matter what his 40 says. 

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He has multiple runs in the NFL of 90 yards or more including a 99 yarder. It's not because dbs are so terrified of getting posterized they just don't catch him. My point was he's really fast on the football field no matter what his 40 says. 

You actually see him pull away in those videos and run away from angles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Are they faster than K Dixon? 

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

HS track times would suggest Dixon is quite a bit faster than Thompson, and I can't find a 100 time for Moore. HS times would also suggest Owens is quite a bit faster than Dixon. But as bodies change so can speed.... And they have pads on

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Last season, J Thompson was asked who the fastest player on the team was and he said himself and Jake.  I think in the previous season, J Thompson said he was the fastest on the team including Duvernay.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it my imagination, or is the team practicing more at DKR than in spring’s past? If so, is this a function of other practice fields being unavailable (perhaps due to construction, I don’t live in Austin), or coaches’ preference? Or, I could just be a dumb fuck and this is par for the course, but it seems like they used to schlep over to the fields next to the bubble for most practices. 

(If my perception is true, then DKR would be a fuckton more secure than a location off the highway, as Sark is apparently installing his entire offense, according to some $9.95ers.)

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Last season, J Thompson was asked who the fastest player on the team was and he said himself and Jake.  I think in the previous season, J Thompson said he was the fastest on the team including Duvernay.

I was a bit wrong on this.  Josh Moore says he's the fastest with Jake being second fastest.  J Thompson says he is definitely faster than Duvernay.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Thats why I think all football 40’s need to be ran in full gear..... why do i care fast you are in shorts and track shoes?  Lets get geared up and run those 40’s and lets see how well you carry the pads.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rholl said:

Thats why I think all football 40’s need to be ran in full gear..... why do i care fast you are in shorts and track shoes?  Lets get geared up and run those 40’s and lets see how well you carry the pads.  

It's not really about the pads/gear. It's about game situation vs track situation. Some guys just loosen up and run faster in a game. 

So the poster above who said the mph gauges will be the new normal, rather than the 40, is the most correct. Take the measurements from game situations, combine with 40 times, profit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Is it my imagination, or is the team practicing more at DKR than in spring’s past? If so, is this a function of other practice fields being unavailable (perhaps due to construction, I don’t live in Austin), or coaches’ preference? Or, I could just be a dumb fuck and this is par for the course, but it seems like they used to schlep over to the fields next to the bubble for most practices. 

(If my perception is true, then DKR would be a fuckton more secure than a location off the highway, as Sark is apparently installing his entire offense, according to some $9.95ers.)

They've been in DKR a lot, but there have been practice clips posted from both the bubble and the practice fields, too. 

So if Brockermeyer is clocking as the fastest LB, it strikes me as curious that he’s never mentioned as an option. I’d think with the bloodlines and size that he’d be an option. It seems the PWO program gets Lb prospects yet those guys don’t show up as options. At LB, we need guys to do their job - be in the right spot, make the tackle. Yeah Jacques played some. Bush has played some but maybe miscast in his position.

If we can’t find one more serviceable player at LBer, I’ll be surprised. Nothing spectacular. Just be reliable.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

So if Brockermeyer is clocking as the fastest LB, it strikes me as curious that he’s never mentioned as an option. I’d think with the bloodlines and size that he’d be an option. It seems the PWO program gets Lb prospects yet those guys don’t show up as options. At LB, we need guys to do their job - be in the right spot, make the tackle. Yeah Jacques played some. Bush has played some but maybe miscast in his position.  If we can’t find one more serviceable player at LBer, I’ll be surprised. Nothing spectacular. Just be reliable.

Jett Bush would disagree...

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

Jett Bush would disagree...

Sure he played but I would have been curious to see him at Mitchell’s spot rather than backing up Ossai. He strikes me more as plays hard and finds the ball than taking on blockers or beating bigger guys one on one. And I’d like to think our dline could keep him clean.

Just my opinion, but schools don’t tell guys to hit the portal. That comes back to bite them in the ass and spoil relationships with high school coaches, etc that these kids played for. They just tell the kid he’s going to have a very tough time ever seeing the field with the current depth chart and they get the hint.

If a school ever told a kid “hey you need to enter the portal to help us out” they would get blasted by that player on social media.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just my opinion, but schools don’t tell guys to hit the portal. That comes back to bite them in the ass and spoil relationships with high school coaches, etc that these kids played for. They just tell the kid he’s going to have a very tough time ever seeing the field with the current depth chart and they get the hint.

If a school ever told a kid “hey you need to enter the portal to help us out” they would get blasted by that player on social media.

They tell them they don't see a path to gametime for them, and boy didn't taking classes at ACC suck, and hey the coaches at Tarleton State are probably fine with them smoking weed all day.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.jpeg.6539cf01129d655cff5689ba0dacf740.jpeg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Lots of candidates to choose from: Al'vonte Woodard, Dajon Harrison, Montrell Estelle, and even Joshua Moore (if he lets off the field issues continue to plague him). 

What’s the deal with Harrison, he’s been back with the team practicing right? Don’t think I’ve seen him mentioned a single time good or bad. 

Estelle has got to be in his last year of eligibility at this point so there is no real upside to the coaches having the talk with him about how it will be tough for him to see playing time. Of course he may see the writing on the wall and make that determination himself.