2021 Texas spring football thread

Machinator

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sorry, but the WR commentary about lacking the deep threat speed is pure Nahlin bullshit. Dixon is fine in that regard. 

Sarkisian and the offensive guys are whining to anyone that will listen about the WR room. The defensive guys are bitching about edge and LB. They’re doing the opposite of what Herman did and they’re poor mouthing as much as they can.

That’s probably smart, but they can go fuck themselves if they think they’re going to be exempting themselves from expectations for this season. 10+ wins or you’re Seven Win Steve, motherfucker. There’s enough talent for it. Sorry about the fact that the WR room doesn’t currently have a minimum of 4 1st round picks in it. Make it work anyway. 

Yep. Our WR room isn't great, but it's not horrible either. We have plenty of weapons on offense to make it work.  It's no excuses from Game 1.  Herman left the cupboard a hell of a lot more full than Mack or Charlie. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

If Sark can't make something shake with a starting four of Moore, Smith, JWhitt and TO then he's not the offensive mind we thought he was.

Figure it the fuck out Steve.

Well to be fair, he doesn't have Moore, Smith, Whittington, and Omeire right now.

He's got Whittington

A just returned from something medical, but it definitely wasn't Covid Moore.

Smith is out for the spring

Omeire is practicing, you just can't touch him, and the only tape of him from spring is him wincing after making a cut.

Dixon hasn't been 100% healthy and available this spring either.

When Whittington is the current model of health for the room, you got issues.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Just now, Machinator said:

You can win games with the idea of Omeire, Whittington, and Moore. But that's all they are right now, theoretical studs.

You can win games with a 22 lineup and Whittington out wide, as long as #5 is getting to carry the ball 20-25 times a game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Our entire offensive staff (save Coleman) spent the last two seasons coaching a WR room that had Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Jerry Jeudy, & Henry Ruggs. It's not too shocking that they might look at our guys and decide that they kind of suck. 

I don't think Sark is unrealistic about the talent we have or is trying to make preemptive excuses for the season. He can and should win a lot of games with our current roster. The WR talk is just targeting that as a position that needs to see significant improvement before the offense can get to the level Sarkisian expects his teams to operate at. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

You can win games with the idea of Omeire, Whittington, and Moore. But that's all they are right now, theoretical studs.

That's a good descriptor of Surly posters.

Also, the name of my future band.

Edited by UDontKnow

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m sorry, but the WR commentary about lacking the deep threat speed is pure Nahlin bullshit. Dixon is fine in that regard. 

Sarkisian and the offensive guys are whining to anyone that will listen about the WR room. The defensive guys are bitching about edge and LB. They’re doing the opposite of what Herman did and they’re poor mouthing as much as they can.

That’s probably smart, but they can go fuck themselves if they think they’re going to be exempting themselves from expectations for this season. 10+ wins or you’re Seven Win Steve, motherfucker. There’s enough talent for it. Sorry about the fact that the WR room doesn’t currently have a minimum of 4 1st round picks in it. Make it work anyway. 

I don't think we have a single WR on the roster who could beat you in a 40-yard dash.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's a given, that's a given. 

On Monday, I tried to run the bases in an exemplary fashion for the team of 5 year olds that I babysit 3 times a week while being disguised as an assistant coach. By the time I got back to home plate, I simultaneously thought both hamstrings were about to snap and that I might be dealing with the early stages of a heart attack. I'm starting to get a tad nervous about my conditioning in prep for the Surly Livestock Show-Olympic Games-Farmers Market-and-Christopher Cross Concert that we're holding on September 4th. 

You sound like Sark talking about the WR room. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Motivational tool?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That's a given, that's a given. 

On Monday, I tried to run the bases in an exemplary fashion for the team of 5 year olds that I babysit 3 times a week while being disguised as an assistant coach. By the time I got back to home plate, I simultaneously thought both hamstrings were about to snap and that I might be dealing with the early stages of a heart attack.

But did you get caught between the moon and New York City?

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Luke Brockermeyer

EzCU5WpUUAIJ7KH?format=jpg&name=large

3 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Fuck the Brockermeyers!

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Luke gets a pass, but concur. 

The dad had better not show his face at the spring game or else...

...some big guys will keep him out of the stadium!

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I don't think Sark is unrealistic about the talent we have or is trying to make preemptive excuses for the season. He can and should win a lot of games with our current roster. The WR talk is just targeting that as a position that needs to see significant improvement before the offense can get to the level Sarkisian expects his teams to operate at. 

Also probably wants to run off some of the current WR's on scholarship as well -- this roster has too many worthless WRs

Edited by LTtxfan

FCB

Spoiler

QUARTERBACK

When I asked offensive lineman Denzel Okafor to assess what he’s seen from Casey Thompson and Hudson Card in their competition to become the next starting quarterback at Texas, Okafor said:

“As of now, Casey is getting most of the reps with the ones. But we see Hudson coming in, too, rotating every now and then. Whoever is ready to ball, I can’t really tell you who, but they’ve adjusted to the offensive line, the running backs and the receivers, and it’s going to look good this upcoming fall camp.”

I was told later this isn’t quite an accurate assessment of how the quarterback reps are playing out - that Card is getting an equal number of reps with the ones as Thompson.

The more accurate way to say it, I’m told, is Thompson has been getting most of the first reps with the first team, including last Saturday’s first scrimmage of spring ball.

This isn’t a big surprise, considering Thompson is the older guy and has shown he can get it done in a game with his performance in the second half of UT’s win over Colorado in the Alamo Bowl (8-of-10 passing, including four TDs through the air on five straight scoring drives).

But Card is making a lot of good decisions and good throws, too, and there are sequences during practice in which Card looks like he could become the guy at quarterback for Texas.

“Both guys are being pushed by the competition, which will make the offense progress at a more rapid rate,” according to one team source

I’m told there’s a healthy respect between Thompson and Card, and there’s no toxicity. Both Thompson and Card are on Steve Sarkisian’s player leadership council.

“Casey is probably more vocal as a leader, but Hudson knows his stuff and his teammates respect how he goes about his work,” one team source said.

The amount of offense being installed this spring is more than players have ever experienced in their time at Texas.

“I swear Sark is putting in everything during the spring, so guys can work on it over the summer and come back with all of it digested,” said one team source. “I mean there’s been installation of offense for every conceivable situation, and I’m not sure the install is even done."

Both quarterbacks have performed better with the first-team offensive line. More on that in a second.

Thompson opened last Saturday’s scrimmage going 6-for-6 on a drive for a touchdown while lining up behind the first-team O-line. Card’s best play-making has also come with the first-team offensive line.

As Sarkisian said Tuesday of Thompson and Card, “Both are very athletic, throw the ball well and have a good grasp of what we’re trying to do offensively. Now, we just need them to be less robotic, and that comes with reps. Overall, I’m pleased with where we are at that position.”

OFFENSIVE LINE

Up to this point, the most first-team reps on the offensive line have gone to Christian Jones at left tackle, Denzel Okafor at left guard, Jake Majors at center, Junior Angilau at right guard with a split at right tackle between Andrej Karic and Isaiah Hookfin.

Derek Kerstetter is working his way back from ankle surgery following the injury he suffered against Kansas State last season.

I’m hearing Kerstetter will get his first look at right tackle when he gets fully cleared to return. Depending on how Kerstetter looks, it could be left tackle. Even though Jones has gotten a lot of reps at left tackle, “he’s been up and down,” according to a team source.

“Now, the defensive line you’re facing in practice every day would be a handful for any offensive line in the country,” the source said. “So, everyone on the offensive line will only get better because of that.”

The player coaches really want to come on is sophomore Tyler Johnson, who has gotten reps at tackle and guard.

“The talent is there,” a team source said. “Things just need to slow down for him a little more. If he takes the next step, he’ll be on the field. His time is coming.”

Sarkisian said Tuesday Okafor “is playing as well as anyone up front for us.”

I’m told the middle of the line — Okafor at left guard, Majors at center and Angilau at right guard — have been the strength of the line. That’s especially good news for the running game Sarkisian hopes to build around Bijan Robinson (more on that in a second).

“The pass protection, especially on the edges, is a work in progress,” a team source said.

In addition to Karic and Hookfin, other young players who have gotten reps with the first- or second-team offensive line include redshirt freshman Jaylen Garth at tackle and early enrollee freshman Hayden Conner at guard.

Redshirt freshman Logan Parr has been working at center behind Majors and Rafiti Ghirmai.

I mentioned earlier that Casey Thompson and Hudson Card have both performed better with the first-team offensive line in team situations.

Obviously, that’s because there’s too much of a drop off right now to the second-team offensive line, and most of that is because the second-team offensive line has been a revolving door of players getting looks at different positions.

RUNNING BACK

Bijan Robinson, who missed a week of spring football when practices resumed following the team’s pause for COVID-19 protocols, is back, strong and the primary offensive weapon.

Whether that means Robinson taking the ball on a handoff, catching a pass, serving as the decoy on play-action or motioning out to a receiver position, how Robinson is used on each play will “give the defense something to think about and either get Bijan into a great matchup or help get someone else into a great matchup.”

Needless to say, Robinson is a critical piece to Sarkisian’s offensive puzzle. But with Sarkisian’s offense, it’s about how many different ways you can make one play look like another, and Sarikisian goes to great lengths to create inventive formations and motions to pull that off.

The thing coaches like most about Robinson - in addition to his ridiculous talent and versatility - is how smart and humble he is. He’s digesting the offense well, and everyone is feeding off that.

Roschon Johnson got tons of reps while Robinson was out early in spring ball and just continues to get better and more comfortable at running back.

When Sarkisian throws out praise for Johnson, he means it, because Johnson is a versatile weapon who seems to get more confident with each practice and has always been a top-notch leader on and off the field.

The running back to keep an eye on as a potential impact guy is Daniel Young. I’m told Young, who always had a great attitude and did whatever he was asked, really shined while Robinson was out, and now Sarkisian is looking for ways to use Young in certain situations.

WIDE RECEIVER

The two standouts have been Jordan Whittington and Troy Omeire (who is not even taking part in contact situations yet) with Joshua Moore starting to come on.

“Joshua Moore has put together some nice practices here the last couple weeks,” a team source said.

Coaches are pushing Marcus Washington and Kelvontay Dixon to come on.

I’ve asked about guys like Al'Vonte Woodard and early enrollee freshman Jaden Alexis and I’ve been told Woodard “is slow” and Alexis “is still trying to figure things out.”

With incoming freshman receivers Keithron Lee (5-10, 175) and Casey Cain (6-3, 180) both due to arrive in June and both likely to need time to adjust to the college game, everyone should keep an eye on Xavier Worthy, a 6-foot-1, 160-pound burner from Fresno, Calif., who on Friday asked for his release from the national letter of intent he signed with Michigan in December.

Worthy, ranked the No. 61 overall prospect in the 2021 class, according to the 247Sports Composite ranking, is considered one of the fastest recruits in the 2021 class and is exactly the kind of receiver Texas has been lacking for far too long.

TIGHT END
Sarkisian will have different situations for either Cade Brewer or Jared Wiley or Malcolm Epps in one-tight end sets.

There is versatility in the two-tight-end sets, depending on the plays being called.

“Those guys will be interchangeable, depending on the situation,” a team source said.

Early enrollee freshmen Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis “are showing they will be able to help us - whether that’s this year or next - we’ll see,” a team source said.

Brayden Liebrock is out with a shoulder injury.

DEFENSIVE LINE

The strength of the team right now thanks to the play of end Jacoby Jones, tackles Keondre Coburn and Alfred Collins and Jack/outside linebacker Ray Thornton.

Thornton, a graduate transfer from LSU, has been one of the best stories of the spring with his combination of play making and leadership.

Moro Ojomo has been solid, and with T'Vondre Sweat (shoulder) out for the spring, Vernon Broughton has come on at tackle - as have Myron Warren and Sawyer Goram-Welch.

“Bo Davis is working those guys, and they’re improving,” a team source said.

LINEBACKER
We’ll count Thornton as more of a defensive lineman since he’s basically serving as a stand-up rush end and because Texas is likely to only have two true linebackers on the field at once against most of the teams on its schedule.

With DeMarvion Overshown (shoulder) out for the spring, the pleasant surprise has been David Gbenda, whom I’ve heard from multiple sources is becoming more and more vocal as his confidence grows.

The question is if Gbenda can play middle linebacker once Overshown returns from injury. That’s the goal. Stay tuned.

Jaylan Ford is getting looks at middle linebacker, but the game still needs to slow down for him.

Even though Tyler Owens posted on his social media the idea of him Overshown “in the box” as a suggestion to coaches, it’s been Brenden Schooler who has gotten some looks at linebacker.

Coaches haven’t ruled out looking at Owens at weak-side linebacker, but Schooler “has been playing with the urgency you’d expect from a talented senior - and he plays really fast,” a team source said.

That source said even though Owens ran a 10.35 in the 100, he doesn’t always play fast. Coaches are hoping that changes with more reps.

Texas is definitely looking for linebacker help via transfer. Keep an eye on USC's Palaie Gaoteote.

SAFETY

B.J. Foster and Jerrin Thompson have been holding down the first-team reps at safety, with Tyler Owens and early enrollee freshman JD Coffey getting most of the second-team reps.

Thompson is seen as a rising star leader on the team. And coaches really like what they’ve seen from Coffey, who also has a very bright future.

CORNERBACK

Josh Thompson has been the standout at corner in spring ball. One team source said Thompson “has at least five interceptions so far.”

D'Shawn Jamison is still playing with the fearless abandon that has allowed him to play bigger than his 5-foot-10 stature, and the welcomed surprise of spring ball at corner have been McNeese State grad transfer Darion Dunn and early enrollee freshman Jamier Johnson.

Kitan Crawford is also getting reps with the ones and twos, while Jahdae Barron has been getting reps with the twos.

There is confidence that the future is bright at cornerback, especially with Ishmael Ibraheem arriving in June.

At nickel, Anthony Cook and Chris Adimora have both made enough plays that this one is still too close to call.

SPECIAL TEAMS

As I mentioned in the Morning Brew this week, right now Cameron Dicker would be both team’s punter and kicker as Ryan Bujcevski is still looking for consistency since returning from his ACL tear suffered last fall.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I’d much rather hear a first year coach temper expectations, let his guys know they need to step it up and then, ultimately over perform rather than run his mouth about how good we look only to lose to Maryland while talking about winning being really really hard. 

This. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the arrogance we experienced the last 4 years.

As of now, Casey is getting most of the reps with the ones. But we see Hudson coming in, too, rotating every now and then.” - Okafor

I was told later this isn’t quite an accurate assessment of how the quarterback reps are playing out - that Card is getting an equal number of reps with the ones as Thompson.

The more accurate way to say it, I’m told, is Thompson has been getting most of the first reps with the first team

Great stuff Chip, thanks for clearing that up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Great stuff Chip, thanks for clearing that up. 

I had to go back and re-read that whole part, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. "Denzel said that Thompson is getting most of the reps with the first team. That is not correct in the least. Let me correct Denzel: Thompson is getting most of the reps with the first team."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TIGHT END
Sarkisian will have different situations for either Cade Brewer or Jared Wiley or Malcolm Epps in one-tight end sets.

There is versatility in the two-tight-end sets, depending on the plays being called.

“Those guys will be interchangeable, depending on the situation,” a team source said.

Early enrollee freshmen Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis “are showing they will be able to help us - whether that’s this year or next - we’ll see,” a team source said.

Brayden Liebrock is out with a shoulder injury.

Interesting considering we are hearing that Epps may eventually leave.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I had to go back and re-read that whole part, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. "Denzel said that Thompson is getting most of the reps with the first team. That is not correct in the least. Let me correct Denzel: Thompson is getting most of the reps with the first team."

He said he's getting most of the *first* reps with the first team. So practice starts and 11 is at QB for the first few plays. Then for the next few plays, the first team remains the same except 1 is in at QB.  So approx same number of plays being run with the first team for each qb, but allegedly Casey is usually getting the first crack at it

It might all be bullshit, but that's what it says.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

He said he's getting most of the *first* reps with the first team. So practice starts and 11 is at QB for the first few plays. Then for the next few plays, the first team remains the same except 1 is in at QB.  So approx same number of plays being run with the first team for each qb, but allegedly Casey is usually getting the first crack at it

Well that's not as fun now is it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Ah, yeah you’re right. FCB anyway though. 

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Read again. Thompson is going in first with the first team. Card plays with the first team as well but he goes in after Thompson.

Edit: I was too slow on the post and have a long way to go to get to Machinator's level.

Edited by Bevo

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

SPECIAL TEAMS

As I mentioned in the Morning Brew this week, right now Cameron Dicker would be both team’s punter and kicker as Ryan Bujcevski is still looking for consistency since returning from his ACL tear suffered last fall.

This is the second article he has now done this. Hey, fuckface, kinda hard to look for consistency when you're still out from said injury and not participating in Spring.

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This is the second article he has now done this. Hey, fuckface, kinda hard to look for consistency when you're still out from said injury and not participating in Spring.

At least he didn't claim that Reese Moore was running 2nd team.

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I didn't read any of it.  Waste of time.  Fuck Chip Brown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1