2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

"I'm doubly excited today," Correa told Alex Rodriguez on the FS1 postgame show Tuesday night. "We had that great game and when I went back to the locker, he gave me one of his hats that he's been wearing around. To me that was such a great honor. Reggie Jackson is such a legend of the game. Just giving me the hat that says Mr. October on the side, that was special to me so I'm really excited about that one, too."

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

diaz also got a garbage strike called on him, while we're on the subject.  boston acting like dude missed one call all night.

UMP did that shit all night, constantly changing Houston ABs... but that one marginal 50-50 pitch cost Boston the game.

Loser talk.

No matter the final score, nearly all games are impacted by multiple pitch calls. So they're an easy go-to excuse  for whoever ends up losing a tough one, especially in October. We've been on the wrong side of questionable pitches (ours or the opponent's) countless times over the decades. That includes not just pitch location but checked/unchecked swings.

We all know last night's whining wouldn't have occurred had that exact same pitch call not been followed by a clutch hit against the media darling team. Even at that, had the Sox not then proceeded to crumple like tinfoil, there's a good chance nobody cares today. As tempting as it is, don't scream about a "missed" call that wouldn't have bothered you going against the other team or even your own in a less pivotal scenario with a different eventual outcome. It's baseball, man, and it will be that way as long as people call balls and strikes. 

6 hours ago, texashorne said:

We had our share of bad calls all postseason.. its part of the game. They should take the strike zone box off the screen, it would save so much anxiety for so many people..

I do like how Fox's strike zone is not as prominent as our local games throughout the reg season.  That being said, I get it that the zone is a "guideline," but not absolute.  I tend to get more gruntled when Brantley or Bregman turn and look at the ump, as if to say, "Were we watching the same pitch, mofo?"

Here's the Michael Brantley at bat in the first inning. Look at pitch 5, he should've had a 3-2 count with a chance to get on base via hit or walk, but he gets rung up by Diaz. WHERE IS THE PASSAN COLUMN FOR THAT ONE? If he's on base, the Astros score two instead of just one run.

image.png.458a05b6b0ee5df911752e391ec1e9f0.png

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

So Jeff Passan went and wrote a whole damn column about one pitch called a ball that wasn't even an egregious example of a terrible call. Could they be any more transparent in their blatant biases?

Straight up trolling for clicks.  Fuck that dude.

I haven't seen the ump scorecard for last night's game yet, but to be clear, the first three games all favored Boston (.5,.22, and .45 runs). Can't wait to see the card from last night...also, if you want to complain about the state of umpiring (which I do - a LOT), at least mention that we've had exactly ONE game in the playoffs that was umped by someone in the top HALF of MLB rankings (#36 of 99 - the others were all below #50, including #87 & #91). Why is MLB showcasing its worst umps behind the plate in the playoffs?

GIFs

27 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

So Jeff Passan went and wrote a whole damn column about one pitch called a ball that wasn't even an egregious example of a terrible call. Could they be any more transparent in their blatant biases?

That's a bunch of words just to say if my aunt had ball she's be my uncle.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Here's the Michael Brantley at bat in the first inning. Look at pitch 5, he should've had a 3-2 count with a chance to get on base via hit or walk, but he gets rung up by Diaz. WHERE IS THE PASSAN COLUMN FOR THAT ONE? If he's on base, the Astros score two instead of just one run.

Same with the ALDS when Garcia was pitching.. There was a blown call that led to a big inning and changed the outcome of the game. Welcome to baseball, Jeff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Brantley struck out swinging in this at bat. There were plenty of awful calls but this at bat is not a great example.

9 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Brantley struck out swinging in this at bat. There were plenty of awful calls but this at bat is not a great example.

That's right, I thought that was the second to last pitch in that sequence

But same "one pitch" argument applies to that Devers at bat that allowed for the door to open to the 2-run HR for XB. 

image.png.b78af150d94746174f293996cea98cd5.png

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

That's right, I thought that was the second to last pitch in that sequence

But same "one pitch" argument applies to that Devers at bat that allowed for the door to open to the 2-run HR for XB. 

image.png.b78af150d94746174f293996cea98cd5.png

Brantley also has to swing at pitch 5 after pitch 2 was called a strike with a 2-2 count. That dude doesn't really chase a whole lot. I don't think it necessarily impacted the at bat in the way you originally thought, but I do think it impacted the at bat significantly.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Maybe don't let the other team score 7 runs with 2 outs.  Or just bitch about it forever, we don't give a fuck anymore.

And maybe don't allow a solo HR in the 8th by Altuve to tie it up. (Note: interesting how a hypothetical tie game in the 9th is automatically a Red Sox walkoff win, but narratives and clicks right?)

Maybe convert your offensive chances when  your opponent allows seven walks, only one of which scored.

I'm okay hearing Sawx fans bitch about one pitch, but it is journalistic malpractice for Jeff Passan to gin up a story for ESPN clicks that doesn't square with the statistical evidence nor does it allow for any other "one pitch" or one bad call that might have had a role in determining the outcome of the game. If that was a Red Sox hitter in the box and an Astros pitcher getting squeezed, the chance that Jeff Passan writes a "one pitch" article in which he strokes off Astros fans is about the same as the Texas Rangers winning the 2021 World Series.

Edited by Gourmand

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

And maybe don't allow a solo HR in the 8th by Altuve to tie it up. (Note: interesting how a hypothetical tie game in the 9th is automatically a Red Sox walkoff win, but narratives and clicks right?)

Maybe convert your offensive chances when  your opponent allows seven walks, only one of which scored.

I'm okay hearing Sawx fans bitch about one pitch, but it is journalistic malpractice for Jeff Passan to gin up a story for ESPN clicks that doesn't square with the statistical evidence nor does it allow for any other "one pitch" or one bad call that might have had a role in determining the outcome of the game.

I just find it funny they’re so riled up about a borderline call. If the roles were reversed no one but Ben Dubose would give a shit about that call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Jeff Passan looks like Jim Halpert's little brother who huffed a little too much rubber cement.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Brantley doesn't generally chase bad pitches.  When the ump demonstrates early in the AB that he's batshit crazy or blind, even a batter as under control as Uncle Mike is going to swing in self defense.

Saying you see the strike zone as a "binary" when an ump is calling balls/strikes is so preposterous.  Hitters do not see it that way and are not going to swing at those kinds of pitches because they know there's a good chance that it's not going to get called even if it does catch a piece of the zone.