2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hey I don't disagree it's just an undeniable trend in baseball analytics these days and I'd bet that this is more a function of the front office ethos than Dusty's call. The guy was pilloried for years for running his starters into the ground and now he's a dumbass for always going to the pen early. 

Edit: sorry I misread your post, agree. now I gotta go open another cold one.

Sometimes you have to trust your eyes over numbers on a sheet. Greinke was dealing he could have gone at least another inning. It's the biggest issue I have with the use of stats to play games.

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Easy in hindsight but that what I just said too.

with DJ running, no chance.

But why was yuli glued to the bag?

so much fail on that play 

Yuli always stays on the bag. He costs his guys a lot of throwing errors. Bregman should have never thrown it, but Yuli should have also seen he had no chance of getting an out and should have turned into stop the ball mode.

He did the same thing to Altuve in the ALCS last year and caused Jose to get the yips for 2 games.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Sometimes you have to trust your eyes over numbers on a sheet. Greinke was dealing he could have gone at least another inning. It's the biggest issue I have with the use of stats to play games.

Yeah I hear you and agree, I just think fans bitching about the managerial decisions need to remember that nowadays this is probably more an organizational philosophy than a specific managerial move. But I would've stuck with Greinke.

3 minutes ago, OB3 said:

I put that mainly on yuli. Yeah breg should’ve held it but yuli has to at least try and get off the bag

Absolutely.  Bregs makes enough web gem plays for me to forgive him for trying that with two outs.  First base has to help him out there.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

I’m not sure my heart would be able to handle knowing what players we could have had over the years if we had been willing to part with Tucker.

Imagine the return for a package of Tucker and Whitley.......

All we would have is some player that is no longer here.  You don't trade prospects for prospects. 

Could it have helped us win the 2019 WS or possibly got us there last year?  Maybe.  But it most likely wouldn't be helping with shit this season or going forward.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Scraps said:

All we would have is some player that is no longer here.  You don't trade prospects for prospects. 

Could it have helped us win the 2019 WS or possibly got us there last year?  Maybe.  But it most likely wouldn't be helping with shit this season or going forward.  

Yelich had signed his big contract before getting traded to Milwaukee. He'd still be under contract now. That was the guy we could have gotten for Tucker and Whitley.