2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20 minutes ago, runthebone said:

When Raley comes in, it basically means the game is over.  Not in the Eric Gagne sense, in the "I fucking suck and hate my teammates" sense.

He’s fine against LHB but you can’t let him see good RHB. Baez being hurt and Smith being garbage is really hurting the Astros.  I’d like to see them try fresh blood until at least Paredes returns. No point in rostering Raley, Scrubb, and Emanuel. 

I really don't fault him going to his setup/closer in the 5th inning. It was a big spot and you got 1.1 IP of scoreless baseball. Now after that, he managed this game as a throw away when the Astros have already clinched. This bullpen is bad, but continuing to watch Raley and Smith fail in high leverage situations is 100% on Dusty.

I like Dusty, even though he's a Dodger. I would like him to get a ring to solidify his 2nd baseball career as a manager. That said, there is a reason why he's never won despite the amount of talent this guy has managed in his career.

So Altuve is hitting .247 and slugging .333. Per Statcast data, his expected AVG is .321 and expected SLG is .540. During last year's regular season, his AVG and SLG were abysmal, but pretty much consisted with the "expected" numbers. So it at least seems as though he is hitting the ball better this year. 

Tucker is hitting .183 and slugging .356...expected AVG is .284, expected SLG is .541. 

The results aren't matching the quality of contact they're making yet. Still early, but I keep waiting for the hits to start falling in...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ownership is cheap, so we can cheap results. 

You get what you don't pay for. 

What a dumb post. The Astros have the 4th highest payroll in MLB in 2021 and have been to four ALCS and 2 World Series in the last 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's not dumb.  JS is right.  Those teams are being steadily dismantled.  It's likely that next season, the only players left from the 2017 team will be Altuve, Bregman and LMJ.  It wasn't a Florida Marlins firesale, but those great teams are almost gone.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Cole typically likes to give up the long ball, but this season so far he has done a great job and only allowed 1 homer.  We need to hit about 3 off him today.  Pump that fastball in there and let Yordan hit it to Long Island

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's not dumb.  JS is right.  Those teams are being steadily dismantled.  It's likely that next season, the only players left from the 2017 team will be Altuve, Bregman and LMJ.  It wasn't a Florida Marlins firesale, but those great teams are almost gone.

Who are you pining away for to be on the team now that was on that 2017 team?

The biggest mistake Luhnow and Crane made was not resigning Morton.

McCann - retired

Gurriel - still on the team

Altuve - still on the team

Correa - still on the team

Bregman - still on the team

Springer - injured, signed a FA deal with Tor.

Reddick - retired

Beltran - retired, out of baseball because he was the cheating ring leader

Gonzalez - has struggled mightily since he doesn't know what pitch is coming anymore

Gattis - retired

Marisnick - I'd rather him be our CF than Straw

Fisher - traded

Maybin - out of baseball

Fiers - fuck him

Morton - on his last contract, about to retire

Keuchel - hit and miss since leaving the Astros

Peacock - injuries ended his career

McCullers - still on the team

McHugh - injuries have derailed his career

Giles - lulz

Devenski - lulz

Gregerson - retired

Feliz - sucks

Harris - sucks

Verlander - still on the team, injured.

I would say you are pretty much wrong.

I don't particularly like Crane, I think he knew about the cheating and did nothing to stop it. It aligns with the stories of his business practices before buying the Astros. I also don't blame him for not giving George that contract, and I will not blame him for not giving Correa $200M. Neither of those guys are worth those long term deals. I also get that they don't want go into the LT to save what 2021 draft picks we have left. 

Now, moving forward, Verlander and Greinke are both coming off the books. You have a good young core of starting pitching you can win with right now. You need to improve the club at C, OF, and bullpen. You should have plenty of money to do that and you get all your picks in 2022. Start rebuilding the farm system.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think for me it's the ambiguity from Crane/Click that has me concerned. Back when the team was horribad, there was an actual plan in place. Now, it just "feels" like a slow dismantling without a plan on how to become WS contender again. But then again the team damn near competed for another 2 WS. Hopefully we'll discover more this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't know why I'm concerned that the Astros will have 2 good players left from their championship team next year.  That's totally unreasonable.  I will just stick my head back in the sand and ignore the talent drain.  I was totally out of line questioning the owner and gm who replaced the 2017 WS MVP with Myles Straw and who are probably going do the same thing next year when they try to have a rookie OF replace Correa at short. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

Buried at work and lost track of time/didn’t set a reminder for the gamE...

I finally get the stream figured out and not shitting, the first split second I see is LMJ follow through and head hanging and then see a ball destroying the back of the yankees bullpen.

quit pitching to the guy. Although if you’re going to, that’s the spot to do it. Early in the game with none on. Although with judge behind him on a 7 Ks in a row plate appearance streak, Stanton hshould be getting the Barry bonds treatment right now 

14 minutes ago, YChang said:

I think for me it's the ambiguity from Crane/Click that has me concerned. Back when the team was horribad, there was an actual plan in place. Now, it just "feels" like a slow dismantling without a plan on how to become WS contender again. But then again the team damn near competed for another 2 WS. Hopefully we'll discover more this season. 

What plan do you want them to take? They lost a shit load of picks and don't want to lose more by spending into the LT. The Astros have a lot of money coming off the books, and have a strong rotation moving forward with McCullers, Javier, Urquidy, Framber, and Garcia. If you can resign Verlander, I would do it. I would let Greinke go. I would let Correa go if he is serious about wanting $200M+. There are just too many good SS's in his territory available and there are going to be limited spots. You absolutely need a plan at 1B, C, OF, and bullpen.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, I don't know why I'm concerned that the Astros will have 2 good players left from their championship team next year.  That's totally unreasonable.  I will just stick my head back in the sand and ignore the talent drain.  I was totally out of line questioning the owner and gm who replaced the 2017 WS MVP with Myles Straw and who are probably going do the same thing next year when they try to have a rookie OF replace Correa at short. 

Well 1st off, you couldn't even name 2 other important players on that team that are still with the Astros. Nor do you mention that the Astros have completely rebuilt their rotation, and have plenty of good young arms to compete for another 3-4 years.

Oh yeah, Yordan wasn't on that team. Brantley wasn't on that team.

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well 1st off, you couldn't even name 2 other important players on that team that are still with the Astros. Nor do you mention that the Astros have completely rebuilt their rotation, and have plenty of good young arms to compete for another 3-4 years.

Oh yeah, Yordan wasn't on that team. Brantley wasn't on that team.

What part of next year don't you understand?  I am talking about 2022, when only Altuve and Bregman will be left after Correa and Yuli are gone after this year.  Who signed Brantley and drafted Yordan?

Edited by kevwun