Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I had thought the same but then I heard on the radio that Jalen green has more than twice the followers of Jalen Suggs.  Was surprised.

Jalen Green was higher rated coming out of HS and started the whole Hedgehog Fam thing. Had LeBron going to his games and all that.

Like Mikey Williams current hype, but even more so.

It looks like Marcus Carr did not get an NBA draft combine invite. The article I found only listed Carlik Jones, Aaron Wiggins and AJ Lawson as receiving combine invites from the G League Elite camp. This would seem to kill his draft prospects. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

It looks like Marcus Carr did not get an NBA draft combine invite. The article I found only listed Carlik Jones, Aaron Wiggins and AJ Lawson as receiving combine invites from the G League Elite camp. This would seem to kill his draft prospects. 

I’m so sorry read this…

💃🏻🕺💥🏀🏆♥️🙏😁

• Hook 'Em 3

More

Beaumont United beat Coppell by 15'ish. Terrance Arceneaux is what he is until he develops an offensive game off the dribble. He's a complimentary pogo stick that can catch and shoot 33-35% from college three. Makes a lot of positive basketball plays without the ball in his hand. And he has to do that at a high rate.

Houston leads.

Chris Beard and staff, and Scott Drew and Coach Tang watched him tonight.

Gerry

Spoiler

Top of the morning short burst quotes from Keyonte George on his three official visits thus far ...

Texas
"I talked to the university president. Coach Beard told me I was the main priority, and I have been the main priority since my freshman year when I began talking to Ulric (Maligi)."

Baylor
“Watching them work out, and how they let their guards work out. It’s how they play in the game."

Kansas
”Just seeing how locked in Bill Self is with the program. Seeing all the greats that came through, and he told me I could be one of the best guards to come through Kansas.”

OV to Oklahoma State begins Monday. Kentucky is a maybe for Big Blue Madness.

IT still feels good about the where Texas sits in this one.

####################

Texas covets 2023 four-man Tyler Smith (Fort Bend Bush). The 6-foot-9.5 very skilled four scored 17 points playing with iSchool Academy Friday showing an array of offensive skill in front of Chris Beard, Scott Drew, Bill Self, Gonzaga, Stanford, Arkansas, Oklahoma State and many others.

“I have offers from Texas, Kansas, Houston, Georgia Tech, LSU, Memphis, Ole Miss and that’s all I can remember,”

Smith on Chris Beard:
“He’s the first coach that ever talked to me. I’ve known about Coach Beard since the end of eight grade. He sent me my first letter too"

There is no doubt who Smith's favorite was growing up:
“Kentucky.'

When it comes to what Smith is looking for from a college coach:
"Let me play my game. Don’t put me in a box. Don’t make me always post up or limit my game."

Smith will likely make a trip to Kentucky in August or September. Texas is working to get Smith on campus during that same time.

###################

Coppell near 6-foot-7 combo guard Anthony Black has seen his stock rise in recent weeks, which included an offer from Duke last week.

On Duke offer:
“As a kid, everybody watches Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Just getting an offer, that is who I grew up watching a lot. I grew up wanting to be good enough to play at Duke.”

Texas official visit:
“It was my first one. I really liked it a lot. The culture they have at Texas is crazy. It was cool seeing how they work hard, and the culture they have there.”

Chris Beard's message on the OV:
“He just said nobody is going to outwork us. So if you want to get better, and get ultimately a lot better, Texas would be the fit. He said nobody will outwork the staff.”

Oklahoma State:
“It was my first time meeting Coach Mike (Boynton) in person. He’s really cool. I like Coach Mike. Meeting the whole staff, watching the workouts and seeing the development piece was good because it seems like they know what to do with guards like me.”

Iowa State:
“They had a guard that played there name Tyrese Haliburton, and we are really similar. I can see the tranxlation. The ability to play early with the ball in my hands."

What's next:
“I’m going to wait until after July to go on my last two visits. I really just need to see where I want to go because I really don’t know right now."

Timetable for a decision:
'Definitely not until after I take my visits. So not before August, really. Maybe like September or October but I’m not really sure.”

What will it come down to:
“Somewhere I can go and get better. Somewhere I can develop my game a lot. Most important, someone that fits my style of play. Somewhere that believes I can come in and play early with the ball in my hand to make plays.”

Could Black see himself in a class with another PG or CG:
“It could work, but I would rather go somewhere where I have the ball in my hands most of the time, but also a place with players that makes plays around me. But most of the time have the ball in my hands.”

Gerry

Spoiler

2022 6-5 SG Rylan Griffen (Richardson High) played his best game in a long time tonight vs. Keyonte George/Arterio Morris and iSchool Academy.

Texas will double back on him, and he could end up being in play if Texas signed three high school guards in the 2022 class.

Griffen didn't have the level of junior season expected, but he showed his skill set tonight. Can be an elite defender at 6-5. Can shoot the three off the catch or a hard dribble, and can get his shot in the mid-range with elevation.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:15 PM, texifornia said:

"iSchool Academy" will never not be funny

I guess I'm old but I can't get my mind around these kids today. The idea that for my senior year I'd leave my high school where we competed for a state championship to go to a made up charter school where I spend a year competing for absolutely nothing is something I'd not only never consider but a move that I couldn't even conceive of.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I guess I'm old but I can't get my mind around these kids today. The idea that for my senior year I'd leave my high school where we competed for a state championship to go to a made up charter school where I spend a year competing for absolutely nothing is something I'd not only never consider but a move that I couldn't even conceive of.

Were you a potential Division I athlete in high school? Even if you were, the competition only continues to increase with time and that's why there are sports charter schools.

Scoop

Spoiler

HOOPS

The Texas staff may not be done filling out the 2021-22 roster. With guard Marcus Carr not being invited to the NBA Combine, that makes it likely he will choose to return to college for one more season. With the expectation that the 6-foot-2 lead guard is leaning to another year in college, the Texas staff will make a run at the final piece to the roster. The Texas staff has some long-standing relationships with two people very close to Carr.

The Texas staff spent the weekend at the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Showcase watching the majority of top prospects in the state in the 2022 and 2023 class. The 2023 prospect Texas watched the most, and followed up with an offer Saturday, was 6-foot-3.5 shooting guard Wesley Yates. The state champion scoring machine out of Beaumont United spoke with Inside Texas about what an offer from Texas would mean, just hours before the offer was made.

“It would mean a lot,” said Yates. “Knowing that I’m from Texas, and they are going to recruit kids in Texas and trust kids from Texas to put on the uniform.”

College coaches could begin contacting 2023 prospect June 15, and since that time Houston has been in contact daily.

“Houston, they probably contact me every day since the 15th," said Carr. "Oklahoma State too."

Following Texas, national champion Baylor offered on Sunday and verbal invitations from Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Oklahoma are likely in the coming days or weeks. Yates told IT that Duke was his favorite growing up.

On the 2022 recruiting front, IT continues to hear the Longhorns are in a very good spot with guards Keyonte George and Arterio Morris. George is scheduled to make an official visit to Oklahoma State today through Wednesday, and may visit Kentucky for Big Blue Madness. Morris may make official visits to Kansas and Georgia, and Baylor has quietly begun to make a push with Richardson High guard Cason Wallace leaning to Tennessee and Kentucky over Baylor.

Texas continues to recruit Anthony Black, but he’s considered a long shot to pick UT if Arterio Morris decides to play for the Longhorns.

The staff continues to be in contact with Amarillo High guard Brendan Hausen, and has also made contact with 2022 PG Austin Nunez (San Antonio Warren) in the last 48 hours.

Richardson High SG Rylan Griffen played extremely well in front of the staff, and could now figure into potential third guard in the class plans.

On the interior, Texas continues to be in a good spot for five-star power forward Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). The 6-foot-8.5 skilled big is still expected to ultimately choose between Texas, USC and Stanford.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Scoop

Hide contents

HOOPS

The Texas staff may not be done filling out the 2021-22 roster. With guard Marcus Carr not being invited to the NBA Combine, that makes it likely he will choose to return to college for one more season. With the expectation that the 6-foot-2 lead guard is leaning to another year in college, the Texas staff will make a run at the final piece to the roster. The Texas staff has some long-standing relationships with two people very close to Carr.

The Texas staff spent the weekend at the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Showcase watching the majority of top prospects in the state in the 2022 and 2023 class. The 2023 prospect Texas watched the most, and followed up with an offer Saturday, was 6-foot-3.5 shooting guard Wesley Yates. The state champion scoring machine out of Beaumont United spoke with Inside Texas about what an offer from Texas would mean, just hours before the offer was made.

“It would mean a lot,” said Yates. “Knowing that I’m from Texas, and they are going to recruit kids in Texas and trust kids from Texas to put on the uniform.”

College coaches could begin contacting 2023 prospect June 15, and since that time Houston has been in contact daily.

“Houston, they probably contact me every day since the 15th," said Carr. "Oklahoma State too."

Following Texas, national champion Baylor offered on Sunday and verbal invitations from Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Oklahoma are likely in the coming days or weeks. Yates told IT that Duke was his favorite growing up.

On the 2022 recruiting front, IT continues to hear the Longhorns are in a very good spot with guards Keyonte George and Arterio Morris. George is scheduled to make an official visit to Oklahoma State today through Wednesday, and may visit Kentucky for Big Blue Madness. Morris may make official visits to Kansas and Georgia, and Baylor has quietly begun to make a push with Richardson High guard Cason Wallace leaning to Tennessee and Kentucky over Baylor.

Texas continues to recruit Anthony Black, but he’s considered a long shot to pick UT if Arterio Morris decides to play for the Longhorns.

The staff continues to be in contact with Amarillo High guard Brendan Hausen, and has also made contact with 2022 PG Austin Nunez (San Antonio Warren) in the last 48 hours.

Richardson High SG Rylan Griffen played extremely well in front of the staff, and could now figure into potential third guard in the class plans.

On the interior, Texas continues to be in a good spot for five-star power forward Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). The 6-foot-8.5 skilled big is still expected to ultimately choose between Texas, USC and Stanford.

I love good news. It's nice to be able to have a coach that knows what he's doing and getting to pick prospects.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry

Spoiler

Garland High PF Zuby Ejiofor will make an unofficial visit to Texas Tuesday. Ejiofor is likely the first PF possibility off the board as both Oklahoma and Arkansas are pushing hard to try to get a decision.

Texas will have to begin forcing some hands or make a decision on bigs in the class.

Texas is in a very good spot for Kijani Wright, but is fighting hometown USC and a Stanford OV is still likely.

The staff had Yohan Traore on campus in June for an unofficial too.