Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Keyonte George, word is he's either going to play his one year at Texas or he's going to the G league, D league, whatever they're called. He and the family want him to attend college, so the financial opps would have to be really crazy but it could happen. Baylor and Kentucky aren't going to do something crazy that overwhelms him, so I guess the thing to watch will be the alt-leagues with him. 

It’ll be interesting to see the NIL numbers for college basketball stars and one and dones who go to places like Duke or Kentucky, and to an extent, Texas. The G League offers decent money to top 10 guys, but I’m not sure how different that would be to what a no-doubt 5 star could pull at a big basketball program. 

11 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Abmas isn't getting a lot of NBA love. My bets on him

Somewhere along the way, his name was:

AĂźmas

(Assmas)

And people turned that German symbol for a double s, “ß”, into a lowercase B… “b”.

23 minutes ago, maninblack said:

They told that guy there isn't a spot here for him and Mitchell is ok with it

That and it doesn't look like anybody is going to hire his handler. 

It looked like he was headed to Georgia until they said no thanks with his handler. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Sock Monkey said:

That would be incredible. Dude's a scoring machine.

It really would be. He was the NCAA's leading scorer last season (24.5), shot 43% (100-233) from 3-point range, which ranked ninth in the country, hit 89% of his free throws, and is a biomedical chemistry major.

He and Mitchell would make this roster incredible. We'd have more quality depth than I can ever remember at UT. There's no TJ Ford on this roster, but on paper, it would be better than the 2002-03 team.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

21 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

It really would be. He was the NCAA's leading scorer last season (24.5), shot 43% (100-233) from 3-point range, which ranked ninth in the country, hit 89% of his free throws, and is a biomedical chemistry major.

He and Mitchell would make this roster incredible. We'd have more quality depth than I can ever remember at UT. There's no TJ Ford on this roster, but on paper, it would be better than the 2002-03 team.

Max Abmas highlights

4 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Is Brandy Perryman’s son, Gavin, committing to Texas old news? Kid is much more athletic than his old man. Can’t believe I’m to the age where dude’s I was I college with have kids playing college ball now.

Yeah - he just didn't get his own thread since he's a PWO

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Is Brandy Perryman’s son, Gavin, committing to Texas old news? Kid is much more athletic than his old man. Can’t believe I’m to the age where dude’s I was I college with have kids playing college ball now.

I’m with you. Reggie Freeman have any kids? 

(Brandon Jenkins) Pangos All-American Camp: Big man Kel'el Ware discusses June visits

Spoiler

LAS VEGAS, Nev. — The enormous potential of Kel'el Ware was one of my biggest takeaways from day one at the Pangos All-American Camp. The five-star big man has unteachable gifts and utilized them to his advantage when given the chance on Sunday night.

On the recruiting front, Ware has already taken a visit to Arkansas and is excited about the few other schools he is looking to see. When asked about his ability to visit campuses now, Ware says, "I feel good about taking visits because I am now able to see what these campuses have to provide for me."

With the Arkansas visit completed, Ware says he is now focused on his upcoming visits with Oregon and Texas. He also is potentially scheduling a visit with Illinois.

With Arkansas being the in-state priority, Eric Musselman has his sights set on nabbing arguably the best prospect in the state. When discussing his visit to Fayetteville, Ware says, "I like their facilities. The coaching staff was talking about how they run a five-out offense and how it fits into what I do."

Texas and Oregon are the next two schools with scheduled dates on the visit trail. Ware was the first 2022 prospect to receive an offer from the Horns after the program hired Chris Beard as head coach. When asked about why he is looking forward to visiting Austin, Ware says, "The whole staff is great. Whenever the staff calls me, I like the energy Coach Beard brings to the conversation."

Oregon offered a little over a month later in May and have been extremely aggressive in their pursuit. "I talk to Chris Crutchfield a lot," says Ware on the Ducks men's basketball program. "I have not seen the school before but when I go on my visit I will be glad to see what is there."

Illinois is a visit that has not been scheduled as of yet. However, Ware seems to have interest in the coaching staff and what the program has to offer. "They got into the mix because Chester Frazier used to be the coach at Virginia Tech," says Ware on the Fighting Illini. "When he got to Illinois, he still wanted to keep recruiting me and our relationship has taken off from there."

Ware has not given any thought on when he will announce his commitment, but he is planning on releasing a top seven list after he finishes the visits he has planned. Expect Memphis and USC to also be included as they have also been actively involved.

When discussing what he wants out of a program, Ware says, "How well the school will use me on the court and my comfort on campus will play a big role in my final decision."

A four-star prospect, Ware is ranked the No. 29 overall prospect in the 247Sports Top 150 Player Rankings. However, with his potential steadily continuing to transform into elite and consistent productivity, Ware will likely achieve five-star status next ranking update.

3 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Maybe he’s the pasty white guy who comes off of the bench pumping 3’s that we’ve all jealously scorned for years.  You know exactly what I’m hoping for …

Gerry

Spoiler

Inside Texas has learned that iSchool Academy PG Arterio Morris has scheduled an official visit to Texas for June 14-16.

This will be the first official visit for the ultra athletic 6-foot-3 point guard.

Texas is considered the favorite over Oregon, Georgia, Florida and Kansas entering the official visit process.

More notes from Gerry

Spoiler

Was just told that 6-10 PF Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep/CA ... family lives in Mansfield) will be a one day UOV ... will get into Austin Sunday at 2’ish.

And was also just told that Keyonte George will still likely make an OV to Baylor soon. Beyond that, he may be tired of the process and not make the trips to Kentucky and Oklahoma State that were likely in June a week ago.

Couple of notes on PF Yohan Traore ...

1. He tentatively has an OV in the works to Tennessee in August. He will be taking an UOV to TCU on June14 following the UOV to Texas June 13

2. Keyonte George really likes playing with him on Southern Assault AAU. Traore is a pick and pop, floor spacing four man that can also play above the rim in transition with a quality feel for the game. When George makes a pass/play with the ball Traore makes the solid catch and is in the spots George is expecting.

With George ... pro is very aggressively chasing him right now as IT has pointed out.

George has continued to tell those close that he wants to play CBK for a year.

Will be interesting to follow.

16 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Anthony Black has come a long way in the last year. His size makes him  a better prospect than Cason Wallace in my eyes. If we can figure out some way get George, Morris, and Black in the upcoming class I'd be over the moon. 

ROUGHLY TRANSLATED:
“If we can find some way to win the 2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship, I’d be over the moon.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Zagoria on Tre Mitchell

UMass transfer Tre Mitchell, arguably the top available transfer on the market, visited Florida State from Sunday-Tuesday and is closing in on a decision. Mitchell will take another visit to a different school next Sunday-Tuesday and could decide by the middle of next week, a source said. He originally listed a top six of Texas, LSU, Georgia, Florida State, Illinois and Bryant.

The 6-foot-9 Pittsburgh native averaged 18.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 2.2 assists as a sophomore at UMass.

I would hope that's us

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst

IT Hoops Recruiting: Yes, Maybe or No

Chris Beard and staff are about to host a third top target in a week when five-star power forward Kijani Wright lands in Austin within the next hour.

The Longhorn staff has already had five-star Keyonte George and four-star Anthony Black on campus for official visits, and will welcome another future five-star to campus in Kel’el Ware June 20.

Today, Inside Texas takes a look at where the Longhorns stand in the recruitments of the top targets on the board broken down into three categories.

Yes - Texas has a good shot to win the recruitment. Doesn’t mean the leader of every recruitment currently, but a good shot.

Maybe - Texas has a chance to win the recruitment. Could be a slight lead that is seen as potential to slip, or coming from behind and having a shot to win.

No - Texas is making an effort, but is seen as a long shot.

Yes:
SG Keyonte George, iSchool Academy
Texas remains the favorite to beat if George goes to college for a year. Baylor is still likely to receive an OV, but visits to Kentucky and Oklahoma State are in doubt. One source said “George is staying very close to home if he goes to college.” Unless Baylor surpasses Texas, the pro options are the largest obstacle for Beard and staff.

CG Anthony Black, Coppell
Black had a very successful official visit to Texas the last 48 hours, and now turns his attention to a June 22-24 OV to Iowa State. A member of the Cyclone coaching staff is a former junior college teammate of Black’s father, former Indian Hills and Baylor guard Terry Black. Terry Black, who was inducted into the Baylor Athletic Hall of Fame in 2015, was recruited to Baylor in part by Texas assistant Rodney Terry. While Iowa State will receive an official visit, the main competition will come from Gonzaga if the Zags make a late summer push. Duke or North Carolina getting involved could also disrupt the recruitment.

PG Arterio Morris, iSchool Academy
Inside Texas first reported Thursday afternoon that the 6-foot-3 point guard has scheduled his official visit to Texas June 14-16. The Longhorns head into the official visit process in a really good spot with Oregon, Georgia, Florida and Kansas in pursuit. A timeline for a decision by Morris is unknown, but a visit to Oregon in August is being talked about.

PF Kijani Wright, Windward School (CA)
Wright arrives this afternoon in Austin fresh off an official visit to USC. Along with the Trojans, Stanford is considered the other team Texas has to beat headed into this weekend's official visit. Arkansas, Michigan State, Florida State and Kansas round out the final seven in contention.

PF Yohan Traore, Prolific Prep (CA)
The near 6-foot-10 fast rising power forward with a face-up skill set and athleticism to play in transition at the high-major level will make an unofficial visit to Texas on Sunday, followed by an unofficial to TCU on Monday or Tuesday. An OV to Tennessee is tentatively on the books for September.

C Felix Okpara, Hamilton Heights Christian (TN)
The top 100 national prospect will make an official visit to Ohio State next week, and has trips in September to Ole Miss and Tennessee. A Texas official visit in late June is possible, or in late August.

Maybe:
C Kel’el Ware, North Little Rock
The future lottery pick in the NBA Draft visited Arkansas to begin June, and is set to visit Texas June 20-22. Trips to Oregon, Memphis and likely USC will be set, and Baylor has offered and is putting in effort. The Texas staff is all in on this recruitment, but being from Arkansas and the intense pressure with the Razorbacks success under Eric Musselman places this one in the maybe category.

PF Zuby Ejiofor, Garland High
If Texas pushes for the 6-foot-8 powerful and developing power forward, this is a recruitment the Longhorns can certainly win. Along with an unofficial visit to Texas June 28, Ejiofor has visits scheduled to Oklahoma June 14-16, Kansas June 23-25, and Arkansas July 1-3. He made a visit to TCU earlier this week.

No:
SF Emoni Bates, Yspi Prep Academy (MI)
If Bates schedules a late June official visit, this moves to maybe. But then there is the pro hurdle, and that is still an unknown. Bates also continues to attempt to reclassify to the 2021 class.

CG Cason Wallace, Richardson High
Texas loves Wallace’s talent, but the new staff began working from way behind Arkansas, Baylor, Kentucky and now Tennessee. If not Baylor, the 6-foot-3 combo guard is currently expected to head to the SEC.

SF Dariq Whitehead, Montverde Academy (FL)
Pulling this five-star prospect out of the ACC is a tough task, even if he plays for Kevin Durant’s AAU program. Duke and Florida State have the upper hand, or did before Coach K announced next season would be his last.

C Vince Iwuchukwu, La Lumiere School (IN via San Antonio)
Once thought to be a Baylor lock, the athletic 7-footer is going to strongly consider other programs. There is a growing thought that living in a big city for a year or two in college has his attention, and that means Texas could find a place in this race. USC is mentioned as a legit threat to Baylor right now.
  • Hook 'Em 1