Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Mahorcic started following Nick Harris and Gerry Hamilton so they should know the answer. 

Gerry:

Will be interesting to see if Texas pushes/takes him ... it’s gone back and forth in last couple of weeks

52 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, as expected I think Texas is slow playing Mahorcic until they get clarity on some of the other bigs. 

But it's getting risky now. Need to land somebody. 

He has like 9 scholarships used. Take him and work to get another big.

1) Jordan Brown committed to Louisiana so that tells me Texas didn't really want him. Which is kind of surprising to me. 

2) Sims looks like he's going pro but I'm not sure if that's a certainty yet. 

3) Tre Mitchell seems like he's headed to Georgia because of his handler that wants a spot on the coaching staff. 

If they aren't offering Mahorcic they must think they're getting Bryson Williams or they're waiting on other players to hit the portal. With them likely passing on Jordan Brown and maybe now Mahorcic they must know something. 

Edited by texasstrong12

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

1) Jordan Brown committed to Louisiana so that tells me Texas didn't really want him. Which is kind of surprising to me. 

2) Sims looks like he's going pro but I'm not sure if that's a certainty yet. 

3) Tre Mitchell seems like he's headed to Georgia because of his handler that wants a spot on the coaching staff. 

If they aren't offering Mahorcic they must think they're getting Bryson Williams or they're waiting on other players to hit the portal. With them likely passing on Jordan Brown and maybe now Mahorcic they must know something. 

I said this in the basketball thread on this stuff about a month ago, but the dude has a handler and the UT staff is full. They’re not punting on Mitchell and then taking Williams when both have handler issues unless BW’s guy will take an off the books role. That’s been the issue the whole time, man. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I said this in the basketball thread on this stuff about a month ago, but the dude has a handler and the UT staff is full. They’re not punting on Mitchell and then taking Williams when both have handler issues unless BW’s guy will take an off the books role. That’s been the issue the whole time, man. 

Yeah, I know that's the case with Bryson Williams but my understanding is the BW handler might be willing to take a smaller role than Mitchell's handler. 

Bergeron sounds like he wants the top assistant spot on staff. 

I get not offering the top assistant job to somebody like Bergeron but personally I don't care if they give BW's handler some random off the court position. Maybe BW's handler wants more than that though. 

Edited by texasstrong12

After a little bit of searching, it looks like Bryson William's handler was hired by Eastern Washington last week. 

So no clue what that means in reference to Bryson Williams. Williams gonna turn down multiple P5 offers to go play at Eastern Washington? 

https://goeags.com/news/2021/5/21/mens-basketball-eagles-add-two-assistant-coaches.aspx

Edited by texasstrong12

Gerry

Spoiler

Five new members of the Texas Longhorns men's basketball team have reported to Austin. Transfer CG Devin Askew, forward Timmy Allen, PF Christian Bishop and PF Dylan Disu all made their way to the Forty Acres on Saturday and Sunday, as did the lone true freshman on the team G/W Jaylon Tyson.

Texas also continues to pursue and study potential transfers in the portal, as well as look at options internationally while trying to find the best remaining fits for the 2021-22 season while not hurting recruiting in the 2022 class.

The Texas 2021-22 roster currently consists of nine players with Allen having been named All-Pac 12 First Team, Andrew Jones All-Big 12 Second Team and Courtney Ramey All-Big 12 Third Team a season ago.

On the recruiting front, the staff will not have a day off in June between official visits, unofficial visits and live evaluation period at the end of the month. This weekend, the Longhorns remain set to host five-star SG Keyonte George.

June official visitors in the 2022 class:
SG Keyonte George, iSchool Academy -June 4-6

PF Kijani Wright, Windward School (CA) - June 9-11

CG Anthony Black, Coppell High - June 9-11

PF Yohan Traore, IMG Academy (FL) - June 13-14 (unofficial)

C Kel’el Ware, North Little Rock (AR) - June 20-22

C Felix Okpara, Hamilton Heights (TN) - June 23-24 (likely)

PF Zuby Ejiofor, Garland High - June 28-29

June visitors expected in the 2022 class:
PG Arterio Morris, iSchool Academy

CG Cason Wallace, Richardson High

SF Emoni Bates, Ypsi Prep Academy (MI)
*Possible reclassify to the 2021 class

SF Terrance Arceneaux, Beaumont United

Possible June visitors in the 2022 class:
C Vince Iwuchukwu, La Lumiere (IN) via San Antonio

SF Dariq Whitehead, Montverde Academy (FL)

PF Sam Murray, Harrison Central (MS)

PG Jazian Gotman, Keenan High (SC)

CG Bryce Griggs, Hightower

SG Brendan Hausen, Amarillo High

SF Jordan Walsh, Waxahachie Faith Family

• Hook 'Em 1

(Nick Harris) Chris Beard making big effort to impress recruits on official visits this month

Spoiler

It's June 1, and Chris Beard is wasting no time getting players on campus after the lift on the NCAA dead period to show recruits and transfers what Texas has to offer under the new regime. While on their respective visits, Beard along with his assistants and support staff have made sure that the red carpet will be rolled out and that the fireworks will be plentiful.

According to a source, an official visit weekend at Texas will consist of multiple high-end meals with the Texas staff, most notably Chris Beard and Jerrance Howard, bonding time with current players around campus, in-depth tours of Austin and the UT campus, meetings with strength and conditioning coaches, and meetings with student services representatives. For transportation, car services and high-end flights will ensure players get to and from Austin.

As of June 1, Texas has five visits set in stone as the following recruits will be in town this month to see what the new Longhorns staff has to offer:

Coppell (Texas) four-star combo guard Anthony Black: June 9-11

Los Angeles (Calif.) Windward School five-star power forward Kijani Wright: June 9-11

Garland (Texas) four-star power forward Zuby Ejiofor: June 28

North Little Rock (Ark.) four-star center Kel'el Ware: June 20-22

Prolific Prep (Calif.) center Yohan Traore: June 13-15 (unofficial visit)

Texas is also expected to host Keyonte George, Arterio Morris, Jazian Gortman, Emoni Bates, Jordan Walsh, Terrance Arceneaux and Sam Murray this summer and fall for either official or unofficial visits. The staff is also continuing to make evaluations in the 2022 class and offers are continuing to be sent out as the AAU season powers on.

Horns247 was also able to confirm that a transfer target is on campus Tuesday and is expected to be in Austin through Thursday. This transfer target serves as the first recruit Texas basketball or Texas football has had on campus since before the COVID-19 shutdown. When more details are made available, they will be reported.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Nick Harris) Chris Beard making big effort to impress recruits on official visits this month

Hide contents

It's June 1, and Chris Beard is wasting no time getting players on campus after the lift on the NCAA dead period to show recruits and transfers what Texas has to offer under the new regime. While on their respective visits, Beard along with his assistants and support staff have made sure that the red carpet will be rolled out and that the fireworks will be plentiful.

According to a source, an official visit weekend at Texas will consist of multiple high-end meals with the Texas staff, most notably Chris Beard and Jerrance Howard, bonding time with current players around campus, in-depth tours of Austin and the UT campus, meetings with strength and conditioning coaches, and meetings with student services representatives. For transportation, car services and high-end flights will ensure players get to and from Austin.

As of June 1, Texas has five visits set in stone as the following recruits will be in town this month to see what the new Longhorns staff has to offer:

Coppell (Texas) four-star combo guard Anthony Black: June 9-11

Los Angeles (Calif.) Windward School five-star power forward Kijani Wright: June 9-11

Garland (Texas) four-star power forward Zuby Ejiofor: June 28

North Little Rock (Ark.) four-star center Kel'el Ware: June 20-22

Prolific Prep (Calif.) center Yohan Traore: June 13-15 (unofficial visit)

Texas is also expected to host Keyonte George, Arterio Morris, Jazian Gortman, Emoni Bates, Jordan Walsh, Terrance Arceneaux and Sam Murray this summer and fall for either official or unofficial visits. The staff is also continuing to make evaluations in the 2022 class and offers are continuing to be sent out as the AAU season powers on.

Horns247 was also able to confirm that a transfer target is on campus Tuesday and is expected to be in Austin through Thursday. This transfer target serves as the first recruit Texas basketball or Texas football has had on campus since before the COVID-19 shutdown. When more details are made available, they will be reported.

Is that transfer Akayleb Evans for football, or is this a seperate basketball transfer?

BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told @stadium. Official announcement expected soon.

The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.

— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) June 2, 2021

Was he the Jewish player whose dad was a doctor?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

BREAKING: Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski has decided to retire after this coming season, multiple sources told @stadium. Official announcement expected soon.

The leading candidate to replace K is assistant and former Duke player Jon Scheyer.

He is Jewish but I think I was thinking of is Danny Schayes although his dad isn't a doctor either.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

You're thinking of Jabari Parker

On 6/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, longhornmatt said:

That is huge.  I’m not sure Duke keeps rolling with new coaches the way UNC, Kentucky and Kansas do (usually - with a Matt Doherty or BIllie Gillispie thrown in on occasion).  I know they had history before Coach K and his history alone beats all but a handful of schools.  But that’s a small school, with geeky students, Cameron Indoor is kind of a small dump of an arena if it’s not rocking because they’re the number 1 team in the country, etc.  

Is there some issue between Coach K and Quinn Snyder? Snyder would be the obvious choice to replace him. Of course Snyder never worked for Coach K so his career success is probably a function of that. 

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Is there some issue between Coach K and Quinn Snyder? Snyder would be the obvious choice to replace him. Of course Snyder never worked for Coach K so his career success is probably a function of that. 

He is also coaching the team with the best record in the NBA this year.  Not many coaches would walk away from that, even if it is where they went to school.

22 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

We still here thinking NBA coaches are gonna go back to college if their jobs aren’t in jeopardy? 😂

20 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He is also coaching the team with the best record in the NBA this year.  Not many coaches would walk away from that, even if it is where they went to school.

He obviously  wouldn't walk away this year, but I'm more astounded by the fact that his name is never mentioned as a future candidate for the position. 

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

1256133958.jpeg

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

According to Gerry, Mahorcic is not a take for the staff.

That wouldn't be surprising. Seems like they were always slow playing Mahorcic with the "academic/transfer" issues. 

It definitely seems like Texas is passing on Jordan Brown and maybe now Mahorcic. 

There has to be something going on behind the scenes that has this staff confident in somebody else picking Texas. 

Just now, Machinator said:

A Kentucky writer CB'd George to Texas, confidence level 7.

Is this the last year with one and dones? I remember talk about the NBA doing away with the one year requirement in 22, but couldn’t remember if it’s actually been passed or was just a rumor.