2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Lakers are putting a lot of faith in a 20 year old (Ingram), 22 year old (Kuzma), 20 year old (Ball), and 23 year old (Hart). Good luck with that. Young guys take time. Which is why I never understood this decision from Lebron. I don't know why he wanted to play with a bunch of young and developing players when there were better options from a roster perspective. Maybe the Lakers land some big FA next offseason but Lebron's window is shrinking. 

Keeping the young guys instead of dumping them all to try to bring in a star is one of the only thing the Lakers have done right after signing Lebron. The other being only signing the washed up vets they signed to one year deals to try again next offseason. The Lakers adding another real star or a couple of borderline guys to go with Lebron and the young guys gives them a legitimate path to contention. Dumping their young talent to bring in one star and then trying to fill out the roster with one dimensional role players would just put them back in the same position at Cleveland but in a conference where they may not even get out of the first round.

17 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Keeping the young guys instead of dumping them all to try to bring in a star is one of the only thing the Lakers have done right after signing Lebron. The other being only signing the washed up vets they signed to one year deals to try again next offseason. The Lakers adding another real star or a couple of borderline guys to go with Lebron and the young guys gives them a legitimate path to contention. Dumping their young talent to bring in one star and then trying to fill out the roster with one dimensional role players would just put them back in the same position at Cleveland but in a conference where they may not even get out of the first round.

This. Magic and LeBron know they aren't winning it this year, even if they did land Kawhi. They're really high on Ingram, so losing him would have hurt. Wait a year, dump the guys who didn't work out on their 1-year deals, take a run at signing Kawhi or Klay or whoever outright, and hope Ingram makes the leap between now and then.

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Family decision or not, LeBron knows damn well that the only thing that matters to the Lakers is titles. If he doesn't win one, it doesn't matter how many movies he stars in; his tenure there will be considered a failure.

I can't wait until he runs into the Kobe cult

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

This. Magic and LeBron know they aren't winning it this year, even if they did land Kawhi. They're really high on Ingram, so losing him would have hurt. Wait a year, dump the guys who didn't work out on their 1-year deals, take a run at signing Kawhi or Klay or whoever outright, and hope Ingram makes the leap between now and then.

What if they can't secure Kawhi though?  What if he likes Toronto (frankly, it's probably the best place for him) or he prefers the Clippers?  Klay is a pipe dream.  Kyrie?  Yea, right.  KD?  Think again.  Jimmy Butler?  Maybe.  Not probable, but perhaps.  Cousins?  What if he's not healthy.  Kevin Love?  Any different than Cleveland.  Kemba?  Not a difference maker.  So, it's a huge risk.... especially for a soon to be 35 year old next season who's always needed a season with other superstars to figure it out.  Ingram had a sub .070 WS, a 13.8 PER (which is below league average), a negative BPM, and only .4 VORP.  Don't get me wrong, I like the kid.  Lots of potential, but will he be ready in 2019?  What if he's not?  Maybe when Lebron is 36?  It's an enormous risk and perhaps they navigate it well and it works out.  We'll see, it'll entertaining to see how it works out and to see if a bird in the hand would have been a better approach..... especially after Paul George just passed on "the plan".

On 7/20/2018 at 10:28 AM, Rockethorn1978 said:

Rocket fans don’t have a choice. Can the season play out before all the self appointed know it alls tell us how the season will go? Last year everyone said cp3 wouldn’t work and we would be back half of the West. 

Melo on a okc team that runs nothing but watch Westbrook and of he can’t he kicks it out makes sense on why melo looked even worse. Houston runs a system and this time around he won’t be the focal point like he was in NY, if he takes the role of corner shooting 4 which is what they have already told him he will be fine. If not they can cut him mid season. He isn’t coming in thinking he’s the first option, anyone thinking the rockets met with him in Vegas telling him that are idiots. He probably was told that going to okc and it showed as okc runs nothing and that shows too.

Notice how Victor Oladippo looked once he got away from a PG who likes to dribble the air out of the ball and only pass to teammates with a few seconds left on the clock so they had to jack up a crappy shot.

Melo will run with the 2’s and shoot corner threes when he is open.  In crunch time, it’s Harden, Paul, Tucker, Capela and Ennis.  

Tucker will end his ass if Melo acts up.   

Or we cut him if he’s an ass.  This isn’t okc with Westbrick and Melo being owed $55 million on his deal.  If he’s an ass, cutting him costs nothing.  He’s a backup for us. Nothing more. 

44 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

What if they can't secure Kawhi though?  What if he likes Toronto (frankly, it's probably the best place for him) or he prefers the Clippers?  Klay is a pipe dream.  Kyrie?  Yea, right.  KD?  Think again.  Jimmy Butler?  Maybe.  Not probable, but perhaps.  Cousins?  What if he's not healthy.  Kevin Love?  Any different than Cleveland.  Kemba?  Not a difference maker.  So, it's a huge risk.... especially for a soon to be 35 year old next season who's always needed a season with other superstars to figure it out.  Ingram had a sub .070 WS, a 13.8 PER (which is below league average), a negative BPM, and only .4 VORP.  Don't get me wrong, I like the kid.  Lots of potential, but will he be ready in 2019?  What if he's not?  Maybe when Lebron is 36?  It's an enormous risk and perhaps they navigate it well and it works out.  We'll see, it'll entertaining to see how it works out and to see if a bird in the hand would have been a better approach..... especially after Paul George just passed on "the plan".

It's a risk. But none moreso than dumping all of their youth and team friendly contracts for a fragile Kawhi and a bunch of ring chasers.

Plus, if they strike out on all the big games, they can probably get Dame anytime they want.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Notice how Victor Oladippo looked once he got away from a PG who likes to dribble the air out of the ball and only pass to teammates with a few seconds left on the clock so they had to jack up a crappy shot.

Melo will run with the 2’s and shoot corner threes when he is open.  In crunch time, it’s Harden, Paul, Tucker, Capela and Ennis.  

Or we cut him if he’s an ass.  This isn’t okc with Westbrick and Melo being owed $55 million on his deal.  If he’s an ass, cutting him costs nothing.  He’s a backup for us. Nothing more. 

Man, Melo may be able to help the Rockets (if nothing else, to swallow up minutes in February against Sacramento), but if you're banking on him to stand in the corner and take quick, in rhythm 3's--or swing the ball if he's not open--you're going to be be sorely disappointed. 

Just now, aggie08 said:

Man, Melo may be able to help the Rockets (if nothing else, to swallow up minutes in February against Sacramento), but if you're banking on him to stand in the corner and take quick, in rhythm 3's--or swing the ball if he's not open--you're going to be be sorely disappointed. 

I don’t expect much. He’s maybe the 7th guy.  

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's a risk. But none moreso than dumping all of their youth and team friendly contracts for a fragile Kawhi and a bunch of ring chasers.

Plus, if they strike out on everyone else, they can probably have Dame literally anytime they want.

First, the premise that they'd have to dump all of their youth was always overblown.  2 of them was probably reasonable.  3 at the most.  Second, they've already had to part with some of their "young core".  They gave up their best player last year, Randle, because they had to preserve cap space for next year when PG wouldn't come over.  They also had to attach Nance to get rid of Clarkson's contract at the deadline last year.  So, they're already two down and they'll probably have to move another to get rid of the Deng contract (probably someone like Hart). 

So besides Ingram, who is the young core and how long is that window?  Ball and Kuzma are untouchable?  So the thought process they get to keep all their young players and be patient is a poor assertion.  They may get to keep some of the ones they prefer, but for how long?  Hart, Ball, and Kuzma are all up in 2021.  Money's gonna get tight they'll probably only get to keep one of those guys.... That's a 2 year window.  I'm guessing the L-T plan is to keep Ingram and Kuzma although things can change.  Why would you think they can go and get Dame whenever they want?  What would the expected package be?  

One thing I want to really credit the Lakers for in the past 2-3 years is drafting.  They've drafted a ton of talent and really made their picks count.  Awesome job lately.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

First, the premise that they'd have to dump all of their youth was always overblown.  2 of them was probably reasonable.  3 at the most.  Second, they've already had to part with some of their "young core".  They gave up their best player last year, Randle, because they had to preserve cap space for next year when PG wouldn't come over.  They also had to attach Nance to get rid of Clarkson's contract at the deadline last year.  So, they're already two down and they'll probably have to move another to get rid of the Deng contract (probably someone like Hart). 

So besides Ingram, who is the young core and how long is that window?  Ball and Kuzma are untouchable?  So the thought process they get to keep all their young players and be patient is a poor assertion.  They may get to keep some of the ones they prefer, but for how long?  Hart, Ball, and Kuzma are all up in 2021.  Money's gonna get tight they'll probably only get to keep one of those guys.... That's a 2 year window.  I'm guessing the L-T plan is to keep Ingram and Kuzma although things can change.  Why would you think they can go and get Dame whenever they want?  What would the expected package be?  

One thing I want to really credit the Lakers for in the past 2-3 years is drafting.  They've drafted a ton of talent and really made their picks count.  Awesome job lately.

I really just meant Ingram. All of their other youth is expendable for the right package. But once PG spurned them, Ingram's importance skyrocketed. Their best path to 3 or more all-star level players is Ingram developing. If he doesn't, his potential still has value next offseason to other teams. But losing Ingram and probably Kuzma to get in on the Kawhi sweepstakes one year early wasn't worth it for them, and I tend to agree. I think there's some truth to Kawhi not wanting to play in LeBron's shadow (just as there was probably some truth to PG being a little butthurt going from prodigal son returning to LA to their third option). Why waste Ingram+Kuzma to find out?

Portland's going to regress, and Dame's going to get impatient. I'd put money on it. And he's already said he'd love to play for them. I just don't think he's good enough--at least in relation to his contact--to warrant a big trade package...but he'll likely be there if they get desperate.

Edited by aggie08

I really just meant Ingram. All of their other youth is expendable for the right package. But once PG spurned them, Ingram's importance skyrocketed. Their best path to 3 or more all-star level players is Ingram developing. If he doesn't, his potential still has value next offseason to other teams. But losing Ingram and probably Kuzma to get in on the Kawhi sweepstakes one year early wasn't worth it for them, and I tend to agree. I think there's some truth to Kawhi not wanting to play in LeBron's shadow (just as there was probably some truth to PG being a little butthurt going from prodigal son returning to LA to their third option). Why waste Ingram+Kuzma to find out?

Portland's going to regress, and Dame's going to get impatient. I'd put money on it. And he's already said he'd love to play for them. I just don't think he's good enough--at least in relation to his contact--to warrant a big trade package...but he'll likely be there if they get desperate.

He's Portland's franchise player and under contract for 3 more years..... They'll want a Brinks truck for him if it's this year or next summer.  The idea he goes to the Lakers this year has been called "laughable" but I agree a lot of things can change by next summer.  If all of this hand wringing it to keep Brandon Ingram at all costs, he better be a all-pro caliber player within the next 3 years.  Otherwise, the Lakers are wasting Lebron's window.  Lebron's great, but Father Time is undefeated.

Moving on....

I'm going to guess it was 80/4 with a 3 year opt out?  Probably wants to see what the market looks like next summer.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

No he won't, Melo was the same shit player before Westbrook

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Plus Lebron will be be about 6 months from turning 36 in the '20 playoffs. The idea the Lakers are in position to be punting years with Lebron is crazy. 

All this "wait to build a roster with Lebron" isn't going to mean much when Lebron is washed up. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's Portland's franchise player and under contract for 3 more years..... They'll want a Brinks truck for him if it's this year or next summer.  The idea he goes to the Lakers this year has been called "laughable" but I agree a lot of things can change by next summer.  If all of this hand wringing it to keep Brandon Ingram at all costs, he better be a all-pro caliber player within the next 3 years.  Otherwise, the Lakers are wasting Lebron's window.  Lebron's great, but Father Time is undefeated.

Moving on....

I'm going to guess it was 80/4 with a 3 year opt out?  Probably wants to see what the market looks like next summer.

Holy shit Toby, you fucking dolt, nobody is going to give you 4 years 80m next year!!!  Wooooooooooow....  BJ armstrong must be his agent.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Plus Lebron will be be about 6 months from turning 36 in the '20 playoffs. The idea the Lakers are in position to be punting years with Lebron is crazy. 

All this "wait to build a roster with Lebron" isn't going to mean much when Lebron is washed up. 

They signed Rondo, KCP, JaVale, Stephenson, and Beasley...they are punting on this year.

Honestly, once PG spurned them, what choice did they have? Kawhi, LeBron, and Ball aren't winning the title this year, and would rob them of assets and cap space to improve in the future. Shit, I'm not even sure that LeBron, Kawhi, and PG beat a healthy Warriors surrounded by guys on vet minimums. The Lakers--and the NBA really--are hoping that next year brings some turmoil in Golden State. Klay's a free agent, putting Iggy in sleep mode for the entire regular season may no longer be enough to preserve him, Steph's ankles will turn 32 years old (expect the one with a cadaver ligament in it) at some point in 2020, and there's several teams who truly believe that KD will jump ship.

I get that LeBron is getting older, but a win now approach would have been unwise this season of it only landed them 2 stars. They can go all in next year. Like I said, by then they'll either know if Ingram can ball, or they can move him for a star, and sign another one. They don't have to wait THAT long.

27 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Holy shit Toby, you fucking dolt, nobody is going to give you 4 years 80m next year!!!  Wooooooooooow....  BJ armstrong must be his agent.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but Harris will get more than 4 years $80 million with a decent year. Zach Levine just got 4 years $78 million in a terrible market. 

57 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

rob them of assets 

I don't know why they would be so worried about assets. If Kawhi was going to resign with the Lakers you get a superstar player in return. The likelihood that Ingram, Kuzma or Ball are even close to the same caliber player as Kawhi is slim to none. 

I've said this many times in the Spurs thread but people really overvalue "young assets". It's still true. 

Playing the guessing game with a couple young assets when a superstar is available is certainly not something I would do. Now if Kawhi signs with the Lakers next offseason  this argument obviously has less merit. But they better sign somebody of comparable value. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but Harris will get more than 4 years $80 million with a decent year. Zach Levine just got 4 years $78 million in a terrible market. 

Hope you're right for his sake but I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, CBT said:

Look at all the teams that have significant cap space next summer. It’s several.

It's a wing league now. Teams will pay for those type players. 

Also of note, Tobias Harris is actually pretty good. A lot of people will scoff at that amount of money but Harris can play. Probably has a lot to do with the fact Harris has played in smaller markets with bad teams. 

Edited by texasstrong12

40 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

he's almost certainly going to get more next year if he stays healthy and has a decent year. 

I think he's going to get closer to the max offer than $80 million. 

Max for him will be something like 140.  No way he gets that much.   I like him a lot but that's crazy

Lmao at people actually talking themselves into how Melo will help. Dude has been making his teams worse for years. Dantoni and his relationship was extremely toxic. But now it will all work? Their nonexistent championship chances definitely should decrease with this cancer. He's an iso, ineffective chucker who is a ball stopper

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao at people actually talking themselves into how Melo will help. Dude has been making his teams worse for years. Dantoni and his relationship was extremely toxic. But now it will all work? Their nonexistent championship chances definitely should decrease with this cancer. He's an iso, ineffective chucker who is a ball stopper

Agree. It's almost like the Rockets are trying to sabotage their own team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Agree. It's almost like the Rockets are trying to sabotage their own team. 

I guess their reasoning is he is cheap and nothing to lose? But he is a net negative. It has been proven. He will actually make your team worse. Melo doesn't care about winning. He wants his shots and points. That's it.

Rocket fans will be tired of Melo 2 weeks into the season. If you're expecting him to embrace a bench role and be productive off the bench y'all are in for a rude awakening. If you're expecting him to gracefully share the court with CP3 and Harden without slicing into their share of the pie y'all are in for an even bigger rude awakening. Blame Westbrook, Donovan or whoever for his shitty 17-18 season, he's been on the decline for some time. Last season it accelerated and I wouldn't blame the coach or the players he was playing with. D'Antoni couldn't keep him happy as the #1 option it'll be hilarious when Melo inevitably begins to turn the locker room against him.

10 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't know why they would be so worried about assets. If Kawhi was going to resign with the Lakers you get a superstar player in return. The likelihood that Ingram, Kuzma or Ball are even close to the same caliber player as Kawhi is slim to none. 

I've said this many times in the Spurs thread but people really overvalue "young assets". It's still true. 

Playing the guessing game with a couple young assets when a superstar is available is certainly not something I would do. Now if Kawhi signs with the Lakers next offseason  this argument obviously has less merit. But they better sign somebody of comparable value. 

Believe me, I get where you're coming from.  There's going to be a day--probably sooner than most of us expect--where we're saying, "Holy shit, LeBron is human.  He can no longer carry a basketball team at [placeholder] years old."  Even last year, arguably his best offensive season ever, he had to make alterations to his play to compensate for his age (asserting even a minimal amount of effort on regular season defense being the most obvious).

So, if you do treat every year like it may be his last as the best player on the planet, what would you have done differently once PG signed with OKC?  Trade Ingram and Kuzma for Kawhi (assuming you get reassurances on his health and desire to play with LeBron long term, which I doubt he gave the latter, or else he probably would be a Laker today), maybe keep Randle around (or sign Evans if they could have), sign Brook Lopez instead of JaVale, get a less combustible backup point guard...then what?  A lineup of Ball/Kawhi/LeBron/Randle (or Evans)/Lopez doesn't get them past a healthy Golden State, but, more importantly, does it put them ahead of Houston and Boston?  Being in that 2 spot isn't a bad place to be; like 2016, one of these years Steph or KD's annual leg injury is going to come later in the year and not give them time to fully recover by the WCF.  Is it worth putting yourself in that position at the expense of flexibility?

I haven't studied the Lakers' cap enough; would they have had any ability to make another splash next offseason had they went all in for Kawhi? 

25 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Believe me, I get where you're coming from.  There's going to be a day--probably sooner than most of us expect--where we're saying, "Holy shit, LeBron is human.  He can no longer carry a basketball team at [placeholder] years old."  Even last year, arguably his best offensive season ever, he had to make alterations to his play to compensate for his age (asserting even a minimal amount of effort on regular season defense being the most obvious).

So, if you do treat every year like it may be his last as the best player on the planet, what would you have done differently once PG signed with OKC?  Trade Ingram and Kuzma for Kawhi (assuming you get reassurances on his health and desire to play with LeBron long term, which I doubt he gave the latter, or else he probably would be a Laker today), maybe keep Randle around (or sign Evans if they could have), sign Brook Lopez instead of JaVale, get a less combustible backup point guard...then what?  A lineup of Ball/Kawhi/LeBron/Randle (or Evans)/Lopez doesn't get them past a healthy Golden State, but, more importantly, does it put them ahead of Houston and Boston?  Being in that 2 spot isn't a bad place to be; like 2016, one of these years Steph or KD's annual leg injury is going to come later in the year and not give them time to fully recover by the WCF.  Is it worth putting yourself in that position at the expense of flexibility?

I haven't studied the Lakers' cap enough; would they have had any ability to make another splash next offseason had they went all in for Kawhi? 

Of course, do you think they won't try and sign a 3rd star next year, even if Kawhi comes over?  Now imagine they have his Bird rights and the 10 million off the books from Ingram and Kuzma's deals.  Does Lebron, Kawhi, Ingram and Kuzma beat the Warriors in 2020?  I don't know.... a lot depends on health but doubt they GSW stands still too.  Iggy will probably be gone by then and they add another good wing.

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course, do you think they won't try and sign a 3rd star next year, even if Kawhi comes over?  Now imagine they have his Bird rights and the 10 million off the books from Ingram and Kuzma's deals.  Does Lebron, Kawhi, Ingram and Kuzma beat the Warriors in 2020?  I don't know.... a lot depends on health but doubt they GSW stands still too.  Iggy will probably be gone by then and they add another good wing.

So they still would have had a max slot next offseason had they traded for Kawhi, and signed a decent piece or two (instead of one-year rentals) with a win now mantra? I would have figured Kawhi's cap hold would be too big. Even so, they're still looking at next year being their first real shot---just like they are now--while keeping Ingram and letting another team test out Kawhi's health and Uncle Dennis's 5-year plan.

Edited by aggie08

44 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

So they still would have had a max slot next offseason had they traded for Kawhi, and signed a decent piece or two (instead of one-year rentals) with a win now mantra? I would have figured Kawhi's cap hold would be too big. Even so, they're still looking at next year being their first real shot---just like they are now--while keeping Ingram and letting another team test out Kawhi's health and Uncle Dennis's 5-year plan.

To get 3 in free agency, they need to get rid of the their two high first round salaries and everything over rookie or minimum contracts including Deng.  In a trade?  Kawhi makes 20 million this year and has a player option for 21 million next year.  He can opt out and sign a new L-T extension OR if he wanted to play ball for another team, he could opt in and be traded.  He'll have options.

32 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

To get 3 in free agency, they need to get rid of the their two high first round salaries and everything over rookie or minimum contracts including Deng.  In a trade?  Kawhi makes 20 million this year and has a player option for 21 million next year.  He can opt out and sign a new L-T extension OR if he wanted to play ball for another team, he could opt in and be traded.  He'll have options.

Educate me on this: if you have a player's Bird Rights, and he opts out of his final year to become a FA, don't you still have some of salary on hold factored into the cap until he signs with a different team?  Not the full $21M, but a decent chunk?  In other words, he doesn't count as $0 once he opts out?  A team could still sign other players right up to the salary cap, then max out their player with Bird Rights after...but that cap hold still counts against the cap in the meantime?

Melo is going to sign for $2.4M.  Some of you are acting like it's a 2 year $40M deal. If it doesn't work out he's cut. No harm no foul .  I've never seen so many people criticize a move with 0 financial liability. Melo will see spacing and wide open shots he has never seen in his career. 

Ariza $15M

Moute $4.3M

Melo $2.4M

What did ya'll expect the Rockets to do?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

I guess you aren't getting the point. No one is criticizing the contract amount.  Melo had proven to be a detriment to any team his has been a part of, at the pro level. Signing CA is like paying to have cancer. 

What available FA has proven to be the key to a title because at this point it's title or bust.

I would love to hear what an alternate suggestion /signing is.. Everyone loves to hate but nobody has a solution other than concede to GS

Educate me on this: if you have a player's Bird Rights, and he opts out of his final year to become a FA, don't you still have some of salary on hold factored into the cap until he signs with a different team?  Not the full $21M, but a decent chunk?  In other words, he doesn't count as $0 once he opts out?  A team could still sign other players right up to the salary cap, then max out their player with Bird Rights after...but that cap hold still counts against the cap in the meantime?

Yes you still have a cap hold until he either signs with another team or his current team renounces his rights.   His cap hold would be 150% of his last salary in Kawhi's case cause if they had traded for him they would still have his Bird rights.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q37

Edited by d2o
Correction

13 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Like I said. Nobody has solutions. Just like to bitch and complain.

The solution is don’t add Carmelo Anthony to your team for any amount of money. He’s a cancer to the team. Period. You’re better off signing no one than signing Melo.

• Like 1