2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Looks like the Bulls will get him if they work out a deal. 

they get nothing for the 2nd overall pick from a few yrs back.    He is 22-23 and despite the injuries still has nice upside.    Losing him for nothing should be seen as nothing short of a failure by the Buck FO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, d2o said:

they get nothing for the 2nd overall pick from a few yrs back.    He is 22-23 and despite the injuries still has nice upside.    Losing him for nothing should be seen as nothing short of a failure by the Buck FO.

He can't stay healthy. He's only played in about half of the games in four years. And whether it's because of the injuries or not, he's never been in great shape. If Chicago wants to sign up for $20 million per for that, then god bless them. 

Also, they are a little crowded in the front court with Giannis and Middleton and Maker and now Lopez. 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He can't stay healthy. He's only played in about half of the games in four years. And whether it's because of the injuries or not, he's never been in great shape. If Chicago wants to sign up for $20 million per for that, then god bless them. 

Also, they are a little crowded in the front court with Giannis and Middleton and Maker and now Lopez. 

You don't lose him for nothing.   They say they are doing it to allow Freak to have the ball more.   They knew they wanted to do this last yr.  Trade him then.  

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It wasn't a question born out of a realistic quotient.  I think your question is a great one.  Doubt they would unless pressed and it was the best possible assets on the table.  More for Houston fans.... how do you see Butler (as a dude who can easily replace and be better than Ariza) vs a guy like Capela if you could get a big guy, with some skills, to dive and replace the defense CC would give.  You would give up some on the big end but get a better wing.  I agree Minny would probably pass at this time....

I would prioritize Butler over Capela. athletic wings are more important to stopping Golden State than a center.

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

Pippin shouldn't be ahead of Durant.

Scottie is like the George Washington of SF though, he defined the modern day small forward designation.

Read somewhere that the term small forward came about because of him.

Edited by Chapo

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Charlotte Hornets:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CHO.html

Ha. Who?  Batum and MKG?  Pretty terrible.  Batum's contract is so bad, you can almost put him with anyone.... Batum and Malik Monk!  Monk only make 2.5 million, but Batum's deal!!!  Still 3 years left on that thing.

Nets have Allen Crabbe and DeMarre Carroll making 33 million combined.  Dallas has Barnes and Wes Matthews occupying almost 43 million.  Couple more I could think of....

LOL.  Based on what?

Holy shit that Parker contract is rich..... Do the Bulls have the two most overpaid wings in the league now?

It's a 2 yr deal. He may be overpaid by about $5M on the total value due to coming off an injury,  but it's not egregious and the short term length prevents it from becoming painful if he proves to not be worth it.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's a 2 yr deal. He may be overpaid by about $5M on the total value due to coming off an injury,  but it's not egregious and the short term length prevents it from becoming painful if he proves to not be worth it.  

For production, it's probably 2 to 3x time too much.  But they're paying for potential.  I get it and as you stated, it's basically a one year deal and they had some cap space to take a chance on a guy who hasn't been healthy enough to show everything he's got.  Thus far all he's shown is he can score.  Shitty rebound rate, turnover rate right around his assist rate, no discernible defensive metrics.  Like Lavine, this is an all potential signing, hoping he can develop and stay healthy.  I understand it, and there's a saying, "there are no bad one year contracts", but he's still overpaid.  Good for him though....

Butler is not overrated, and Parker is super "meh". I'd move Capela to get Butler. Butler is a 100% hooper, just an all-around excellent player, and he's exactly what Houston could use more of to try and overcome GS during their small window of opportunity. Scoring, defense, rebounding, ft shooting, he does it all. He would be huge for Houston.

• Like 1

Butler is not overrated, and Parker is super "meh". I'd move Capela to get Butler. Butler is a 100% hooper, just an all-around excellent player, and he's exactly what Houston could use more of to try and overcome GS during their small window of opportunity. Scoring, defense, rebounding, ft shooting, he does it all. He would be huge for Houston.
You'd probably have to take back diengs gross contract.

Not sure paying 20mil to a player with 2 ACL tears on the same knee is a good contract, even if it’s only for a year.  Cousins only cost the Warriors 5mil, why the Warriors are where they are and the Bulls are where they are. JMO. 
Cousins would not have accepted 5m for 1 year with any other team. He's taking a discount to get a cheap ring.

That Jabari contract is kind of stupid though. Even at 1 year, it's a waste of money for a guy who likely won't finish the season. And if they decline his option next year, they have to re-sign him with cap space.

17 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Cousins would not have accepted 5m for 1 year with any other team. He's taking a discount to get a cheap ring.

That Jabari contract is kind of stupid though. Even at 1 year, it's a waste of money for a guy who likely won't finish the season. And if they decline his option next year, they have to re-sign him with cap space.

True on Cousins but GS didn’t have to answer the call or could’ve just said “thanks, but no thanks”.  But being who they are, why not take the chance on him while teams like the Bulls overpay for oft injured, questionable work ethic players.  I wished he had stayed at Nola with AD. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, satyanash said:
Thought this was interesting

Thoughts and prayers. I suppose they could just, you know, stay away from it

His point is that it's tougher for them to stay away from something they grew up on and is an integral part of their lives.

Also many older players don't take online criticism well either (recently KD for example)

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

His point is that it's tougher for them to stay away from something they grew up on and is an integral part of their lives.

Also many older players don't take online criticism well either (recently KD for example)

KD is not an older player. He's been on twitter since his first year or two in the league.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Llogg said:

KD is not an older player. He's been on twitter since his first year or two in the league.

Yep KD is apart of the social media era. Hell he made a Twitter post very early in his career when Lebron joined Miami and where is the competition? As well as some others. Twitter was just getting going the first few years he was in the league.

But if you can't handle online criticism as an entertainer, then you are weak as fuck. Who cares what random guys you don't know or will ever meet say online. Most would never tell you that to your face and would probably shake your hand. I have heard KD and many others will go to the locker room right after the game and start checking social media for comments about them during the game. I don't get it.

I can understand holding the opinion of your peers and the coaches/decision makers around the league in high regard. They are in your same profession. But who gives a shit about random guys on Reddit/Twitter/IG/Facebook. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep KD is apart of the social media era. Hell he made a Twitter post very early in his career when Lebron joined Miami and where is the competition? As well as some others. Twitter was just getting going the first few years he was in the league.

But if you can't handle online criticism as an entertainer, then you are weak as fuck. Who cares what random guys you don't know or will ever meet say online. Most would never tell you that to your face and would probably shake your hand. I have heard KD and many others will go to the locker room right after the game and start checking social media for comments about them during the game. I don't get it.

I can understand holding the opinion of your peers and the coaches/decision makers around the league in high regard. They are in your same profession. But who gives a shit about random guys on Reddit/Twitter/IG/Facebook. 

I think the point was that KD didn’t grow up on Twitter/Facebook/etc the way current rookies did. Even though he joined early on, he was already a grown man. Social media didn’t shape him the same way-or at least, it shouldn’t have, for a man who turns 30 in a few months.

• Like 1

I dont doubt that the millenials are very sensitive to online negativity.  

The question is should we (as the #1 UT message board) change our online behavior?  Filter all negative threads/posts directed to current team players?  No more looking ahead  (cause we are not the ones playing)?

I've been coaching summer league high school baseball for seven years and there's been a definite change in the approach on how to coach kids. Starting about four years ago there was a push in centex and south Texas to train coaches on the new attitudes of the modern player. The intrinsic motivation of players has changed from "what should I be doing" to "how does this benefit me". That's a gross oversimplification but that's the general gist of it. There's a cottage industry of consultants going around the nation holding conferences and meeting district personnel to train coaches on how to deal with it.

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

I've been coaching summer league high school baseball for seven years and there's been a definite change in the approach on how to coach kids. Starting about four years ago there was a push in centex and south Texas to train coaches on the new attitudes of the modern player. The intrinsic motivation of players has changed from "what should I be doing" to "how does this benefit me". That's a gross oversimplification but that's the general gist of it. There's a cottage industry of consultants going around the nation holding conferences and meeting district personnel to train coaches on how to deal with it.

self centeredness has permeated all aspects of society 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

You deal with it by cutting their candy ass from the team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

How is "what should I be doing" not part of becoming a better player?  I would think the only thing that would "benefit" them is getting better, and a lot of that is finding ways to help your team win.