2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

The only scenario I’m really seeing is a buyout and melo for the minimum to Houston. I just don’t see him going to Miami unless he just wants to go crazy with strippers for a season. Which couldn’t be all that bad. 

2 hours ago, Snacks said:

All money ain't good money... KD's value as a repeat champion is going to be much more than $10mm.

Eventually, he'll take a super max. No need now... and he'll probably make more away from basketball than in it.

I get what you’re saying but not sure I agree. He will make more in NBA salary when he’s older than when he’s in his prime? Probably not with inflation. He’ll make more money as a champion? He seems, partially due to his soft spoken nature, at best the 3rd most nationally or internationally popular NBA player behind Lebron and Curry, possibly behind Westbrook or CP3/Harden. I think he would be just as popular if he had stayed with Russ in OKC and was still averaging 30/10 and winning a ton of games.  He might make more endorsement money in GS than had he stayed with OKC, but I’m not sure the difference is more than the $30+ million he turned down over the past 3 years. 

[/ignorant Murfdogg21 b-ball post of the day]

Melo is washed up and steadily on the decline. He's not going to help anyone out and is more of a detriment than anything at this stage in his career. I'm sure the Thunder are eager to wash their hands of that mess as soon as they possibly can.

Edited by Chad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Melo is washed up and steadily on the decline. He's not going to help anyone out and is more of a detriment than anything at this stage in his career. I'm sure the Thunder are eager to wash their hands of that mess as soon as they possibly can.

Of course OKC wants to dump him, one way or another. They allow him to talk to other teams to let him decide if he will waive his no-trade clause for them, assuming management can work a trade. If not, they can reduce his buyout by the # the other team is willing to pay, which may be MLE money. 5m off his buyout is about 20 million in tax savings for OKC at this point, so it's worth it.  

If the Rockets can find a way to turn 2 years of Ryan Anderson into 1 year of Melo, I'm all for it. That would be amazing, but who knows what's being discussed. 

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The worst thing you can have on any team is a guy who used to be a superstar, that is no longer a superstar, but believes he still is a superstar.

What if said ex-"superstar" is also legitimately allergic to defense?  Than you just have to pick him up, correct?

I would have loved it if he was on the Mavs last year.  A little name recognition to put a few butts in the seats and a few more ping pong balls.  Maybe we don’t have to move up to get Luka.  That’s what he is at this point in his career, a desirable asset for a team that’s tanking.

34 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

I think HOU will struggle to get to 55 wins

Lulz. It's hilarious seeing the hand wringing over the Rockets losing Ariza and Luc. It's like people forget that it was Morey that signed Ariza for half the price of Chandler Parsons, (the fretting over him leaving for the Mavericks was equal to now). Luc signed for the vet minimum and easily had his best offensive season as a pro, yet no one said, "Holy Shit the Rockets signed Luc Mbah a Moute." It's amazing how great these role players are when they are consistently getting wide open looks because of Harden and Paul.

Edited by HtownHorn

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. It's hilarious seeing the hand wringing over the Rockets losing Ariza and Luc. It's like people forget that it was Morey that signed Ariza for half the price of Chandler Parsons, (the fretting over him leaving for the Mavericks was equal to now). Luc signed for the vet minimum and easily had his best offensive season as a pro, yet no one said, "Holy Shit the Rockets signed Luc Mbah a Moute." It's amazing how great these role players are when they are consistently getting wide open looks because of Harden and Paul.

I agree but we haven't signed anyone yet AND we barely have enough to sign anyone especially if we use it all on Melo. Maybe we can upgrade by dumping Anderson or trading him but that hasn't happened yet, so the hand wringing is more because as of today we are worse. I mean I know we will sign someone but i'm impatient and ready to see a splash trade or something to give me hope we are contenders still.

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm sure most of the hand wringing thus far is about the lack of decent replacements, not the awesomeness of Ariza and Luc.

Though, it was Houston's defense that got them to Game 7, not the offense, so losing their two best wing defenders isn't nothing.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm sure most of the hand wringing thus far is about the lack of decent replacements, not the awesomeness of Ariza and Luc.

Though, it was Houston's defense that got them to Game 7, not the offense, so losing their two best wing defenders isn't nothing.

Bingo

49 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Luc didn’t even play in the playoffs very much and wasn’t even a factor against GS. Ariza is a bigger loss than luc. Need the depth though.

48 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Luc played like 20 minutes in the entire series because of his injury, and was a -21 in those minutes. Ariza was a -38 for the series as well. I'm not sure who the Rockets will sign to replace their minutes, but to act like Morey forgot how to find quality role players is hilarious.

For sure, Ariza >> Luc, but Luc would have at least made a decent replacement for Ariza (assuming he's over his injury jitters at the rim).  Absorbing the loss of one would be easy; losing the starter and his replacement, then signing MCW and Melo to suck up those minutes shouldn't excite anyone.  But not all deals have to be done in the offseason, and I'm sure that's Morey's thinking.  Lots of buyouts to be had around the deadline.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

For sure, Ariza >> Luc, but Luc would have at least made a decent replacement for Ariza (assuming he's over his injury jitters at the rim).  Losing the starter and his replacement, then signing MCW and Melo to suck up those minutes shouldn't excite anyone.  But not all deals have to be done in the offseason, and I'm sure that's Morey's thinking.  Lots of buyouts to be had around the deadline.

Which leads me to believe the Rockets medical staff feel that Luc's injury will be an ongoing problem moving forward.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The worst thing you can have on any team is a guy who used to be a superstar, that is no longer a superstar, but believes he still is a superstar.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

What if said ex-"superstar" is also legitimately allergic to defense?  Than you just have to pick him up, correct?

It's also better if he's 35 years old and was never in great shape to begin with.  If any team takes Melo and expects him to play significant minutes for the entire season, they're going to be extremely disappointed when he breaks down by the time the playoffs roll around.

So tucker on durant, hide harden on Iggy, pray klay and dray are cold?

24 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Nah, just get the #1 seed again and let Lebron take out the Warriors. 

53 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Green usually is cold, he's a horrible shooter. I'm sure the Rockets are going to sign someone who can play defense against the Warriors.

42 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Who?

a SF that can defend and hit the corner 3 ball. I would say he is extremely similar to Luc Mbah a Moute. Unless someone has a better example or i'm wrong because honestly I've never seen the dude play and just made that whole bit up because I don't have a clue if he's that good or not.

28 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

He told OKC/ Presti he would wave his no trade as long as the team he was sent to was buying him out.  Which the nets have said they would. 

Yea, I looked at it a bit.  Looks like it would be a trade and then buyout but looks like a real long-shot.  Nets don't have a lot of space and the Thunder don't have many picks.

This is interesting because of the cascade effect..... Jimmy Butler gonna leave next year?

Yea dunno...CC probably should've taken that deal. We know hes great defensively and very raw offensively. Biyombo was the same but he cashed in. I'd sleep a little better knowing I had 80 million in my bank account to fall back onvs gambling to make 10 mill a yr more but end up getting 4/48