2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

anyone who questions capela simply does not watch him. period. to have watched him and to think that he could "nerlens noel himself", or that he might suddenly be no good in a year or two is essentially impossible. Bismack Biyombo? Nerlens Noel? Yeah, just so you know you're as clueless as the orlando magic fans i saw who said that Mo Bamba could turn out to be another John Henson. You simply cannot know anything about Bamba or Capela to think these things. Does this look like the statistical progression of someone who is going to fall off any time soon, or be exposed as fraudulent?

1946a6dbe59b5c2c4d59d511666a930e.png

23 years old, people. done nothing but progress year after year. elite defensively and on the glass, and growing offensively. 4-5 years away from reaching his peak. please, stop with these embarrassing, asinine evaluations of clint capela. buncha people who only watched houston during the playoffs when cp3 and harden forgotnhe existed. that's the only explanation. Capela is not going to fall off, he is going to continue to get better, and he's going to get a much bigger contract than 5/$85. jesus. bismack biyombo....ridiculous.

Edited by Goo Punch

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, I looked at it a bit.  Looks like it would be a trade and then buyout but looks like a real long-shot.  Nets don't have a lot of space and the Thunder don't have many picks.

This is interesting because of the cascade effect..... Jimmy Butler gonna leave next year?

Seems like there would need to be a 3rd team involved for it to beneficial for the Thunder.    They don't need to take back any salary.

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

anyone who questions capela simply does not watch him. period. to have watched him and to think that he could "nerlens noel himself", or that he might suddenly be no good in a year or two is essentially impossible. Bismack Biyombo? Nerlens Noel? Yeah, just so you know you're as clueless as the orlando magic fans i saw who said that Mo Bamba could turn out to be another John Henson. You simply cannot know anything about Bamba or Capela to think these things. Does this look like the statistical progression of someone who is going to fall off any time soon, or be exposed as fraudulent?

23 years old, people. done nothing but progress year after year. elite defensively and on the glass, and growing offensively. 4-5 years away from reaching his peak. please, stop with these embarrassing, asinine evaluations of clint capela. buncha people who only watched houston during the playoffs when cp3 and harden forgotnhe existed. that's the only explanation. Capela is not going to fall off, he is going to continue to get better, and he's going to get a much bigger contract than 5/$85. jesus. bismack biyombo....ridiculous.

The guy literally catches and dunks balls for a living from 2 of the best ball handler and distributors in the game. He's learned to roll. Congrats to him. Why did Houston give him such an "insulting offer" then? Its because they dont want to be hogtied an extra 10-20 mill/yr if the guy flops once CP3 or Harden gets hurt and hes pretty much useless on one of the court. You cant be serious that we're supposed to be crowning this guy because hes improved by 2.7 rebounds, 1.5 pts, still a dreadful foul shooter, .7 blocks and .3 steals?

Some of us just arent buying the hype. Yes I dont sit and watch every Houston Rockets game where he probably destroys some terrible teams who play terrible defense. 

He wasnt a factor, at all, vs Golden State either. Byombo never had Harden or CP3 to catch lobs from...but at least he found a sucker to cash in.

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

I don't like to argue with people who make these types of ridiculous arguments. "Shaq was just big, he had no skill." "Capela is just tall and all he does is catch lobs." Being tall automatically makes you this productive? Then why don't they just trade the shit out of Capela and go grab John Henson or Jarrett Allen? Capela is a younger, not-quite-as-good but more athletic Rudy Gobert. And he's still growing. Every single year his footwork improves, his post moves improve, his FT shooting improves, his second jump and timing improves, and his numbers go up and up and up and we sit here and compare him to trash players who never once in their careers looked anything like current Clint Capela. It's stupid, and time will prove beyond a doubt that anyone who compared him to Noel or Biyombo simply didn't have a clue.

Shaq had an unstoppable post game, lets not get carried away with CC/Shaq disrespect. 

Capella has no post game. Does he have a back to the basket move? Hes in the absolute perfect system for him. Hes not some sort of prodigy youre making him out to be where hes going to be some top 3 center in the L. after 4 years in the L, he's still not polished at all on offense. Defense, yes hes elite.

I agree with you that Ive never seen Biyombo be as effective as Capella. that comparison is if Im the GM of the Magic(lets pretend Orlando doesnt have BB) and I want to make a big splash home run signing, so I go out and force Houstons hand and sign this guy to a big BB deal. They dont match, so I have CC on 20-25 mill a yr with no CP3 and Harden, his PPG dip dramatically. Now what? 

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

you'd think mnlonghorn didn't watch capela outplay his boy KAT head to head in the playoffs.

because 2 of the 5 games he had better stats?

CC did a hell of a job frustrating KAT, you could tell his defense got to KATs head. 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

Defending, rebounding, running the floor, intelligent movement on offense, efficiency, and a couple of nice moves/finishes in the lane, plus no shortage of athleticism in a dominating close-out performance during the playoffs. Remind me again when Nerlens Noel or Bismack boyombo did that. And he's still only 23.

Edited by Goo Punch

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes it is. One guy who overrates Capela's game, and another that sees him as who he is.

yeah, the adamant stand that anyone who doesn't see him as a young superstar in the making is an idiot who doesn't watch/know basketball is pretty spectacular but ya know.............................

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Seems like there would need to be a 3rd team involved for it to beneficial for the Thunder.    They don't need to take back any salary.

They're going to have to take back some.  No team has the cap space to swallow Melo whole and the Thunder don't have the assets to entice one to do so...... But even getting 10 million less back is like a 40 million savings for them, probably a little more.

yeah, the adamant stand that anyone who doesn't see him as a young superstar in the making is an idiot who doesn't watch/know basketball is pretty spectacular but ya know.............................
That's the thing. In the making. He isn't a superstar right now. If what you say is true, then this contract is fine that Houston offered. Let him keep proving himself at a good salary. This isn't his final contract and he's not in his prime.

45 minutes ago, d2o said:

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

It should be obvious to everyone that Capela is destined to become an amalgamation of Mutombo, Kevin McHale, Shaq, and Kareem.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

This discussion is amazing.

wow, and i thought i had a penchant for hyperbole. taking the stance gang Capela is much better than Nerlens Noel and Bismack Biyombo ( an indisputable fact) now = "he the GOAT"! lol okay. this is what you guys do every time you can't make a single credible argument, you just warp whatever i've said into something bombastic and then circle jerk each other with rep afterward. that was my bad for thinking i was conversing with anyone who had a cogent point to make.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

It should be obvious to everyone that Capela is destined to become an amalgamation of Mutombo, Kevin McHale, Shaq, and Kareem.

this is an absolutely retarded response, but the funniest part is that your ridiculous overexaggetion of what i've said is no more regarded than comparing Capela to Nerlens Noel and Bismack Biyombo.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Shaq had an unstoppable post game, lets not get carried away with CC/Shaq disrespect. 

Capella has no post game. Does he have a back to the basket move? Hes in the absolute perfect system for him. Hes not some sort of prodigy youre making him out to be where hes going to be some top 3 center in the L. after 4 years in the L, he's still not polished at all on offense. Defense, yes hes elite.

I agree with you that Ive never seen Biyombo be as effective as Capella. that comparison is if Im the GM of the Magic(lets pretend Orlando doesnt have BB) and I want to make a big splash home run signing, so I go out and force Houstons hand and sign this guy to a big BB deal. They dont match, so I have CC on 20-25 mill a yr with no CP3 and Harden, his PPG dip dramatically. Now what? 

really?? where did i say anything resembling this?

1 hour ago, d2o said:

is that what i said? i go for a walk and get some reading done and come back to find some bitch ass circle jerk that doesn't even address anything that i'm actually saying or talking about. i'm over here adamantly addressing the ridiculous comparisons to BB and NN, but now all of a sudden i've said he's a prodigy? i've said he's going to a be a top 3 center in the nba? i've said he's a hall of famer, an amalgam of all-time greats? nope. not even close. i've pointed out the *fact* that comparing him to Noel and Biyombo is patently retarded. but please, continue with the circle jerk, and wipe down the monitors when you're done.

also, D20, your opinions on the nba are consistently laughable, so you probably shouldn't go around throwing stones. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

You lack any appreciation of context. You act as if improved starts are due entirely to Capela evolving into a serious player. You fail to account for the increase in minutes after Houston got rid of Dwight Howard prior to 2016-17. You also fail to account for the arrival of D'Antoni that year. How wide open system opens up the opportunity for all these lobs. Maybe Capela is destined for greatness as you seem so intent on, but his offensive game is entirely lacking at this point. You say he's only 23 years old. I say, he's a23 year old professional basketball player who can't shoot a jump shot or make a single post up move. 23! 

Edited by Llogg
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

really?? where did i say anything resembling this?

Capela is not going to fall off, he is going to continue to get better, and he's going to get a much bigger contract than 5/$85. jesus. bismack biyombo....ridiculous.

Well whats bigger than 5/85 is superstar money...

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

You lack any appreciation of context. You act as if improved starts are due entirely to Capela evolving into a serious player. You fail to account for the increase in minutes after Houston got rid of Dwight Howard prior to 2016-17. You also fail to account for the arrival of D'Antoni that year. How wide open system opens up the opportunity for all these lobs. Maybe Capela is destined for greatness as you seem so intent on, but his offensive game is entirely lacking at this point. You say he's only 23 years old. I say, he's a23 year old professional basketball player who can't shoot a jump shot or make a single post up move. 23! 

where do you get this from?! "destined for greatness". have i said that even once? no. you continue to warp what i'm saying, only to respond incredulously to your own warped take. let me know when you feel like addressing what uve actually been saying:

•He's *clearly* better than Nn and BB

and

•He shows no signs of falling off, only consistent improvement

thats the brass tacks of what i've said about clint capela. respond to that, and quit warping everything i say i to something outrageous and bombastic.

5 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I think he is starting to develop a post game, he works tirelessly with Hakeem on his footwork. I also know from watching every single game he plays, that the majority of his game is predicated on lobs and rim runs. I do think he's got great footwork now, and he can also find the open shooter on those rim runs. He is also in the elite echelon of centers defensively. All that said, he's not worth a max contract at this point in his career. Just because idiot GMs have overpaid Biyombo, Adams, Thompson, and few other centers doesn't mean Morey will for Capela.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think he is starting to develop a post game, he works tirelessly with Hakeem on his footwork. I also know from watching every single game he plays, that the majority of his game is predicated on lobs and rim runs. I do think he's got great footwork now, and he can also find the open shooter on those rim runs. He is also in the elite echelon of centers defensively. All that said, he's not worth a max contract at this point in his career. Just because idiot GMs have overpaid Biyombo, Adams, Thompson, and few other centers doesn't mean Morey will for Capela.

Yep, I get that teams tend to overpay to keep their own guys at times and that you pay for potential.     Still, the guy is basically DeAndre Jordan/Tyson Chandler right now.    There isn't anything wrong with that either but when all of his offensive usefulness is based on other players that should temper the talk of his offensive game.    We've seen guys just like him look like game changers when they have an elite PG go on to become completely useless on the offensive end when they are not paired with an elite PG.   5/85 isn't some sort of insult for that kind of player.

Edited by d2o

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

where do you get this from?! "destined for greatness". have i said that even once? no. you continue to warp what i'm saying, only to respond incredulously to your own warped take. let me know when you feel like addressing what uve actually been saying:

•He's *clearly* better than Nn and BB

and

•He shows no signs of falling off, only consistent improvement

thats the brass tacks of what i've said about clint capela. respond to that, and quit warping everything i say i to something outrageous and bombastic.

You have stated that you think he is *right now* a top 20 player in the league. You may have backed off that stance so good on you, but to have ever thought that is an indictment of your basketball acumen so damning that I find it hard to take anything you say on the topic seriously.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

You have stated that you think he is *right now* a top 20 player in the league. You may have backed off that stance so good on you, but to have ever thought that is an indictment of your basketball acumen so damning that I find it hard to take anything you say on the topic seriously.

and i'm sure that you've never said something and then on second thought, thought better of it. and i didn't even say he was a top 20 player, i said he was top 20-25, which is a stretch, but again i immediately walked it back. the fact that you'd rather keep harping on that while incessantly mischaracterizing every single other thing i've said tells me that you aren't even here to have any sort of civil, adult discussion in the first place.   

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Derka yes or no...if you had 28,500,000 of open cap space to spend for the next 5 years and your guards didn't have elite playmaking abilities like Paul or harden...would you pull the trigger and sign CC for that much?

that's not what i've been arguing. i've been arguing the idea that capela could be a total bust goin forward, no different from bismack biyombo. the guy isn't going to fall off, he's going to keep getting better.

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:
that's not what i've been arguing. i've been arguing the idea that capela could be a total bust goin forward, no different from bismack biyombo. the guy isn't going to fall off, he's going to keep getting better.

Yes or no

once again, my arguments re:capela have not been about how much money he should make, they've been about the idea that he may end up as a bust, or that he's on the level of nerlens noel. i don't follow the cap, the cba, bird rights, none of that shit; i leave that shit for y'all to pontificate on. i follow the teams and the players, and i've seen enough out of capela to die on the hill that says that he won't be a bust going forward. that's it.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Yes or no

Well, he's not eligible for 28.5 million per year...... so.....

Nothing wrong with Houston's offer.  Nothing wrong with Capela wanting more..... gotta cash in when you have the ability.  If he wants to sign his QO, despite the enormous risk, and bet on himself in what should be a better FA environment next year, that's fine too.  A ton of risk though..... But getting back to the point.  He's a lot better than Noel and Biyombo.  Noel can't stay healthy and received terrible advice.  Capela doesn't seem to have this issue thus far....

Well, he's not eligible for 28.5 million per year...... so.....
Nothing wrong with Houston's offer.  Nothing wrong with Capela wanting more..... gotta cash in when you have the ability.  If he wants to sign his QO, despite the enormous risk, and bet on himself in what should be a better FA environment next year, that's fine too.  A ton of risk though..... But getting back to the point.  He's a lot better than Noel and Biyombo.  Noel can't stay healthy and received terrible advice.  Capela doesn't seem to have this issue thus far....
I'm just spit balling numbers bigger than the one he declined.

16 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I’m kind of neutral on Capela...

Right there with ya. Yeah, he didn't dominate Looney, Bell, and Golden State's small lineups like you'd hope a true center would (at least on the boards, if nothing else), but he also didn't get completely played off the floor defensively. He was fine. That's something that the centers who finished one-two in Defensive Player of the Year wouldn't have been able to claim. Most centers can be exploited much more than Capela in today's game.

He's kind of the perfect modern offense hybrid center: he can play fast, screen and roll, rim run, he's fast enough to mostly keep up when the opposition goes small, and he obviously handles guarding the best true centers. And you don't have to stall out your offense forcing him post touches. If he ever learns to make smart passes in space in 4-on-3 opportunities, look out.

Plus, I'll take a crazy athletic, high motor big with no injury history and who likes to talk a little trash on my team any day.

What that equates to monetarily, I have no fucking idea.

Capela's one redeeming value is bounce. He gets off the floor quick. He reminds me of Tyrus Thomas that year he was killing dudes in the NCAA tournament. Oh he's so good defensively, he just needs to develop more on offense, but he's young, he will. Or not.

Capela shooting 56% from the line after being in the league for several years should tell you, he's not likely to develop a sky-hook, or Hakeem's fade away, basically anything with touch. Shaq was another horrible free thrower, but he had the power game, Capela won't ever have that.

Personally I would have trouble putting very much money into him, when all it takes is a Draymond, Zaza, J.R. Smith wayward foot to fuck up his bounce for life. Torn ACL or whatever, yeah he will come back, and be good, but he will lose that little bit that makes him an elite defender. Tough to pay much more than 20mm for that.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Derka yes or no...if you had 28,500,000 of open cap space to spend for the next 5 years and your guards didn't have elite playmaking abilities like Paul or harden...would you pull the trigger and sign CC for that much?

Wait, goo is derka? I'm out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1