2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, Robin Masters said:

Capela shooting 56% from the line after being in the league for several years should tell you, he's not likely to develop a sky-hook, or Hakeem's fade away, basically anything with touch. Shaq was another horrible free thrower, but he had the power game, Capela won't ever have that.

Or, the fact that he's gone from .174 to .379 to .531 to .560 from the line in his four years should tell you that at minimum the jury is still out on his offensive ceiling, not to mention that it speaks to his work ethic and how high his upside really could be considering that he should continue to improve for several years to come.

Edited by Goo Punch

51 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Right there with ya. Yeah, he didn't dominate Looney, Bell, and Golden State's small lineups like you'd hope a true center would (at least on the boards, if nothing else), but he also didn't get completely played off the floor defensively. He was fine. That's something that the centers who finished one-two in Defensive Player of the Year wouldn't have been able to claim. Most centers can be exploited much more than Capela in today's game.

He's kind of the perfect modern offense hybrid center: he can play fast, screen and roll, rim run, he's fast enough to mostly keep up when the opposition goes small, and he obviously handles guarding the best true centers. And you don't have to stall out your offense forcing him post touches. If he ever learns to make smart passes in space in 4-on-3 opportunities, look out.

Plus, I'll take a crazy athletic, high motor big with no injury history and who likes to talk a little trash on my team any day.

What that equates to monetarily, I have no fucking idea.

He’s also from Switzerland, hence my comment.

I’m disappointed (mostly in me) nobody got that.

• Like 1

Dude. .174 speaks to me that he was borderline regarded. My wife hits the backwards basket toss free throw more than that when we play H-O-R-S-E. (and she kills me on it) 

For all you KNOW, last year was his CEILING. I mean going from 53 to 56 in years 3 and 4 don't inspire me with confidence that he will ever even shoot 65 much less 75 from the line. It's also so statistically insignificant that it doesn't inspire me with confidence that any of your argument is valid. Especially when you started with him being top 20, got spanked on it, then walked it back to 35, still got spanked, then started running wild projections based off this past seasons gains, with no regard to all that changed this past season. Dude did what he did playing with a HOF point guard and future HOF'er shooting guard, league MVP, but yeah he will be better next year no matter where he goes on account of because.

• Like 1

He started playing basketball in 2007... (at all) and was drafted in 2014... He 's 24. He improves every year in all aspects of basketball.

If he decides to take his QO and leave, he's going to make $20MM+ a year somewhere else. Pay him $20MM now and be done with it... don't try to reset the market. He's worth more to the Rockets than Chris Paul (over the next 5 years).

32 minutes ago, Robin Masters said:

Dude. .174 speaks to me that he was borderline regarded. My wife hits the backwards basket toss free throw more than that when we play H-O-R-S-E. (and she kills me on it) 

For all you KNOW, last year was his CEILING. I mean going from 53 to 56 in years 3 and 4 don't inspire me with confidence that he will ever even shoot 65 much less 75 from the line. It's also so statistically insignificant that it doesn't inspire me with confidence that any of your argument is valid. Especially when you started with him being top 20, got spanked on it, then walked it back to 35, still got spanked, then started running wild projections based off this past seasons gains, with no regard to all that changed this past season. Dude did what he did playing with a HOF point guard and future HOF'er shooting guard, league MVP, but yeah he will be better next year no matter where he goes on account of because.

no you're right, it's way more likely that he's peaked at 23 than that he's going to continue his trend of improving as a player every year if his career. jesus.

also, the next one of you to not blatantly mischaracterize what i've said will be the first. this exercise where y'all take what i say, blow it out of proportion, and then rage at your own hyperbolic take is hilarious. keep winding yourself up pal.

Edited by Goo Punch

40 minutes ago, Snacks said:

He started playing basketball in 2007... (at all) and was drafted in 2014... He 's 24. He improves every year in all aspects of basketball.

If he decides to take his QO and leave, he's going to make $20MM+ a year somewhere else. Pay him $20MM now and be done with it... don't try to reset the market. He's worth more to the Rockets than Chris Paul (over the next 5 years).

He turned that down.

44 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

you guys can go at derka all you want, but taking the position that capela is another biyombo (had 1 good playoff run) or noel (has always been potential more than production) is easily a worse position than the one derka is taking.  

Would you sign Capella for more than what  Biyombo got? i think CC is worth about what BB got and BB was horribly overpaid 

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

you guys can go at derka all you want, but taking the position that capela is another biyombo (had 1 good playoff run) or noel (has always been potential more than production) is easily a worse position than the one derka is taking.  
Nobody is saying CC is anything like those two as a player, rather that he's in a similar contract situation as them. Bb took the money and is set for life because of it. Noel turned down something like 4/70 and fell apart the next year, now he can't stick with a team. Capella could take 17m guaranteed for 4-5 years and still get another big deal at the end of it. If he continues to improve, he will likely get more at that time.

If he doesn't get a lot better, then he's got 90m in the bank at age 28, and can still get another contract. He's risking next year over a Max of 4/100 (which no one else has offered) instead of taking 5/85 from the best team/situation willing to sign him. Hell, I think he should ask for player options in years 4/5 if he thinks he will become a top 20 player in that time, but take the big money now and keep working hard.
  • Like 3

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

Nobody is saying CC is anything like those two as a player, rather that he's in a similar contract situation as them. Bb took the money and is set for life because of it. Noel turned down something like 4/70 and fell apart the next year, now he can't stick with a team. Capella could take 17m guaranteed for 4-5 years and still get another big deal at the end of it. If he continues to improve, he will likely get more at that time.

If he doesn't get a lot better, then he's got 90m in the bank at age 28, and can still get another contract. He's risking next year over a Max of 4/100 (which no one else has offered) instead of taking 5/85 from the best team/situation willing to sign him. Hell, I think he should ask for player options in years 4/5 if he thinks he will become a top 20 player in that time, but take the big money now and keep working hard.

motherfucking this

27 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Actually the players were being compared, not the situations.  Biyombo wasn't even offered his QO, so he went into the market on a one year deal, played well particularly in the playoffs and had a team dumb enough to offer him his current contract, when the salary cap wasn't being smoothed.  If anything, Biyombo's situation supports Capela playing on a short-term (1 year) deal and re-entering the market place.  

Noel was given shitty advice.  He's always been an injury risk, having missed his rookie season and only played in 51 games the previous season.  He was going thru an agent change, so his initial agent secured the big deal for him, but after switching agents, his current agent convinced him to accept the QO and become a UFA, thereby betting on himself, a guy made of paper mache.  His current agent?  Rich Paul, Lebron's boy of Klutch Sports.  When Lebron's not directly involved by exerting his leverage, Klutch has a hard time getting great deals despite leaking shit to the press all the time.

Regardless, I have no idea what Capela will or should do because we don't know exactly the conversations.  85 million is a ton of money.  Even after taxes and expenses, it's well over 35 million.  That's family altering money if invested wisely.  But I get him wanting to maximize his earning potential.  Maybe a good middle ground is to play on a 1 + 1 but Houston probably doesn't want to undercut their leverage.  Capela's leverage right now is to play the waiting game so no one is really doing anything wrong..... This may go into training camp.

EDIT:  Actually, looking at his situation and current time in the league, maybe the best middle ground is to sign a 4 year deal for something around 76 million with a PTO after 3 years and front load the contract by putting 58-60 million in the first 3 years.  That would give him 7 years in the league and the eligible to sign for much more in 2021, although he may not feel comfortable he'll be considered a max player if MDA moves on.  But that may be the best middle ground for both sides.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Vet minimum for IT3..... fall from grace.  Maybe shouldn't have played injured.

That written, if he accepts his role as super scorer off the bench, that could be a nice signing for Denver..... Give him 25-28 minutes a night and run the 2nd team and score in the mid to high teens.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Vet minimum for IT3..... fall from grace.  Maybe shouldn't have played injured.

That written, if he accepts his role as super scorer off the bench, that could be a nice signing for Denver..... Give him 25-28 minutes a night and run the 2nd team and score in the mid to high teens.

agree that i like the fit for IT in denver if he accepts the right role.  that team is going to score a fuckton of points next year.

7 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Derka hasn't been this sure of a player since Serge Ibaka 

Speaking of Serge Ibaka, isn't he on a one year contract with Toronto..? I think Oklahoma City should resign him if/ when the chance shows itself...

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Nobody is saying CC is anything like those two as a player, rather that he's in a similar contract situation as them. 

Nope, that's wrong. They were compared as players. That's the entire reason for my incredulity.

Also, i find it incredibly ironic that the same people who consistently mischaracterized everything i said, who continuously were combative and insulting, and who would rather incessantly bring up a point i walked back days ago than address a single quote i've actually made would have such a lack of self awareness as to act holier than thou and say "i'm out". you were the ones derka'ing the thread with your combative and bombastic responses. i stuck to the subject, while y'all kept flaming me and exaggerating everything i said, then patted each other on the back for being so above it all. that's a fact. please do not ever delude yourselves into believing otherwise.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

I never compared CC to those guys.   I've repeatedly said he is like DeAndre Jordan/Tyson Chandler.  Both ended up getting max deals and both ended up being massively overpaid when they lost/left their elite PGs because of their limited offensive ability. 

Edited by d2o

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Dude lost tens of millions of dollars over the past year.  Him and Nerlens Noel should get an award or something on how to lose money and blow deals.

Remember the kvetching about how Boston got taken by trading him away?

yeah I don't remember anyone saying they got taken in that trade.   Many (myself included) thought it was kinda foul how Ainge did him but it was business.