2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Melo could be in a trade to Atlanta...

Carmelo Anthony trade to Hawks for Dennis Schroder a possibility

15 hours ago - Atlanta would buy out Anthony, freeing him to sign another team. The Rockets are considered the favorites to land the ex-Knick.

The Thunder would be willing to pay a back-up point guard who can't shoot (and isn't particularly trade-able) over $15M for 3 seasons?  Why?

Just now, aggie08 said:

The Thunder would be willing to pay a back-up point guard who can't shoot (and isn't particularly trade-able) over $15M for 3 seasons?  Why?

It would be a little peculiar but they have never had a pure PG even as a backup for Russ

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

I see Portland as being likely the odd team out this year. Here is my West:
1. GSW
2. OKC
3. Houston
4. Lakers
5. Utah
6. Denver
7. Spurs
8. New Orleans (unless late AD trade)
9. Portland
10. Dallas
11. Minnesota
12. Phoenix
13. Memphis
14. Clippers
15. Sacramento

I'd buy that with 5 games separating #2-#8.  Total toss up.

I find it interesting that everyone realizes GS is going to win next year (duh) and assuming that's the last year (maybe).  Everyone is moving pieces to be ready to be in contention after next season.  Assuming GS breaks up to some degree, all of those teams #2-#8 are in a position to make a move, especially if they add a piece or two.

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Houston is closer to GS than OKC is to Houston. 3-10 is anyone’s guess. 

GSW

Houston

Spurs

OKC

utah

Denver

lakers

Pelicans 

Houston has inherent structural problems that hurt them in the playoffs.  Those open jump shots stop being open and the offense becomes a bunch of contested 3's and Harden becomes a volume shooter.  Large portions of the GS were painful to watch.  Throw in the annual Chris Paul injury and the lack of forwards now and that doesn't bode well for future playoff runs.  Granted, they could add pieces between now and then but the structural problems still persist.

Regardless, I think a lot of teams will look different after next season, especially the Lakers.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Aye, I'm not in the front office... All I can figure is Presti is gonna package a pile of crap (Singler/ Schroder) to some team for a competent waterboy in February..?

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

That's actually a better return than I thought possible.

Any return on a team eating part of a $28 million dollar loss is better than I would have imagined, at this point see if the team can get some used sports equipment if all else fails...

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

There is no way San Antonio is the third best team in the west.

They have always been a great regular season team. Don’t think they are third best but think they finish there. They were only a game or two from there last season. 

They will be more consistent night to night than OKC who still has Westbrook which gives them a 4-8 ceiling 

51 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Houston is closer to GS than OKC is to Houston. 3-10 is anyone’s guess. 

GSW

Houston

Spurs

OKC

utah

Denver

lakers

Pelicans 

GSW is head and shoulders above the rest. and that includes Houston. Houston is not as close to GSW as you have in this list. I get the whole taking them to 7 games but when GSW felt like turning it on in both games 6 and 7 once they got down big both times, they ran Houston off the court. And it wasn't even close. And Houston lost pieces while GSW added Boogie. Paul won't be counted on at the end as always.

2-8 being close won't even matter because none of them are beating GSW barring serious injuries.

• Like 2

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

GSW is head and shoulders above the rest. and that includes Houston. Houston is not as close to GSW as you have in this list. I get the whole taking them to 7 games but when GSW felt like turning it on in both games 6 and 7 once they got down big both times, they ran Houston off the court. And it wasn't even close. And Houston lost pieces while GSW added Boogie. Paul won't be counted on at the end as always.

2-8 being close won't even matter because none of them are beating GSW barring serious injuries.

Never mind Houston was missing a HOF player in those 2 games, after they were up 3-2. Funny how Golden State was finally able to turn it on when Houston was missing one their superstars.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Any return on a team eating part of a $28 million dollar loss is better than I would have imagined, at this point see if the team can get some used sports equipment if all else fails...

It's easy if you're willing to take back 45m+ salary in the process. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

Melo buyout imminent! Melo to Houston very likely!

@wojespn

Oklahoma City has agreed to trade Carmelo Anthony and a protected 2022 first-round pick to Atlanta for point guard Dennis Schroder and Mike Muscala, league sources tell ESPN. Anthony will be waived, and he will join team of his choice. Rockets are frontrunner.

4 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

so OKC pays his salary, or most of it, gets a PG and ATL just gets a first?  What is the damage to Houston?

That Melo wants to be a starter, in this case, for the Rockets (all year long..?) no matter what...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Oh.... it's done.  Melo.....coming to a Htown near you.  

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So am I getting this right, the Thunder will wind up with Schroder & Luwawu-Cabarrot..? (I have to look up to see who the last guy is)... 
I appreciate what Carmelo tried to do when he was in OKC, as far as I can tell, he played his part and gave advice to both RW & PG, and help the team...

Houston still doesn't have a starting SF. Melo could play the 3, but him and Harden next to each other is gonna be a tough combo on defense. I don't think Morey is done with the roster for this season, but help probably won't come until the deadline. Really need a 3 and D SF with some length on this team. At this point, we are going to have Ennis and PJ taking turns guarding guys like KD, Lebron and Paul George. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They haven't replaced Ariza...... Rumors he may be more open to a bench role in Houston.  Play more minutes with CP3 than Harden.

If it works out that way, I'd say Houston got the better end of the deal in all 3 teams, and if Ariza's stats can be replicated by Melo coming off the bench, they won't miss a beat...

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Houston still doesn't have a starting SF. Melo could play the 3, but him and Harden next to each other is gonna be a tough combo on defense. I don't think Morey is done with the roster for this season, but help probably won't come until the deadline. Really need a 3 and D SF with some length on this team. At this point, we are going to have Ennis and PJ taking turns guarding guys like KD, Lebron and Paul George. 

Ennis is starting the SF.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's a fucking terrible contract but better than Melo for them and saves 75 million this year.  He can play some backup minutes and a few with Russ.  Feels like they just picked up Reggie Jackson redux, mental midgetness and all but still good for Presti to get something.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This line of thinking is such horseshit. They went from paying all that luxury tax this year, to being another 15.5 million into the tax for 2 more years. So Schroder's contract will cost them 30 million in luxury tax next year, and at least another 15-20 million the year after. Now they could move his deal in the future, but I don't see any teams out there willing to absorb his deal without sending back salary. This is still kicking the can down the road until they can offload a big contract in the future, and the only one I can think of that might work is sending PG to the Lakers next season. 

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This line of thinking is such horseshit. They went from paying all that luxury tax this year, to being another 15.5 million into the tax for 2 more years. So Schroder's contract will cost them 30 million in luxury tax next year, and at least another 15-20 million the year after. Now they could move his deal in the future, but I don't see any teams out there willing to absorb his deal without sending back salary. This is still kicking the can down the road until they can offload a big contract in the future, and the only one I can think of that might work is sending PG to the Lakers next season. 

It is.... but as you stated, they can move the deal later down the road (especially when it's expiring) and he may actually be able to help them a little..... It buys them time, saves them money and gives them a player who's a little better suited to help out this year.  Not sure what's not to like.  I understand taking your medicine in one gulp and would agree if it was a waive and stretch strategy.  This one seems a better idea.  Their major issue now is they're running out of fucking draft picks as sweetner for the accumulation of bad contracts.  This one to ATL is expected to be in 2022.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It is.... but as you stated, they can move the deal later down the road (especially when it's expiring) and he may actually be able to help them a little..... It buys them time, saves them money and gives them a player who's a little better suited to help out this year.  Not sure what's not to like.  I understand taking your medicine in one gulp and would agree if it was a waive and stretch strategy.  This one seems a better idea.  Their major issue now is they're running out of fucking draft picks as sweetner for the accumulation of bad contracts.  This one to ATL is expected to be in 2022.

Next draft pick they can send is 2024.

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Schroder is not a good player at that cost. The Hawks have been trying to get rid of that contract for a while now, and couldn't. That's not going to be easy to move in the future, and he costs 46m over 3 years on top of all that luxury tax. Probably would have been better off financially by stretching Melo, and using an exception on a good player, but it's cool. I don't like OKC, and I wish them the worst, but it's irritating how financially inept people are so long as the debt is kicked down the road. Presti is racking up a hell of a credit card bill for that team, but people are praising him for taking out a second mortgage on his team. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ennis is starting the SF.

So a guy who has started all of 58 games in his entire career, and averages 23 minutes a game is going to play 70+ games and 35 mpg?  I think they are going to need some help at that position. Would much prefer him as the backup SF, which is what he has been his entire career. 

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

Schroder is not a good player at that cost. The Hawks have been trying to get rid of that contract for a while now, and couldn't. That's not going to be easy to move in the future, and he costs 46m over 3 years on top of all that luxury tax. Probably would have been better off financially by stretching Melo, and using an exception on a good player, but it's cool. I don't like OKC, and I wish them the worst, but it's irritating how financially inept people are so long as the debt is kicked down the road. Presti is racking up a hell of a credit card bill for that team, but people are praising him for taking out a second mortgage on his team. 

He's not.  It's a bad contract, I said as much a few posts ago, but it gives them time and Schroder, while not a good value, is actually a slightly above replacement level player.  In other words, he's a decent backup.  It the best choice out of terrible options.  I hate the stretch idea.  Eat up substantial cap room for nothing over multiple years.  That's just plain dumb.  8-9 million is a rotational player or starter in a lot cases.  I think it's a terrible idea for a big contract.  If it's a million or so, then I can understand it.....

52 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

So am I getting this right, the Thunder will wind up with Schroder & Luwawu-Cabarrot..? (I have to look up to see who the last guy is)... 
I appreciate what Carmelo tried to do when he was in OKC, as far as I can tell, he played his part and gave advice to both RW & PG, and help the team...

i liked TLC (i'm a sixers fan). he's a decent young g/f with some versatility. i imagine they see him as a 3 & d player down the road. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I enjoyed making fun of OKC more when they were the cheapskate, penny-pinching liars whose frugality led to losing 2 of their 3 MVPs, or now, when they're throwing money around like a lotto winner from the mobile home park. 

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's not.  It's a bad contract, I said as much a few posts ago, but it gives them time and Schroder, while not a good value, is actually a slightly above replacement level player.  In other words, he's a decent backup.  It the best choice out of terrible options.  I hate the stretch idea.  Eat up substantial cap room for nothing over multiple years.  That's just plain dumb.  8-9 million is a rotational player or starter in a lot cases.  I think it's a terrible idea for a big contract.  If it's a million or so, then I can understand it.....

So basically, the Thunder gain a backup player, while cutting Melo's contract, & only cost about $6 million more per year than stretching Melo over 3 years with nothing..? Not bad...

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I'm not sure if I enjoyed making fun of OKC more when they were the cheapskate, penny-pinching liars whose frugality led to losing 2 of their 3 MVPs, or now, when they're throwing money around like a lotto winner from the mobile home park. 

Just wait until Presti gets his hands on medicinal cannabis & cold full strength beer, before the trade deadline next February..! 😁 #Let'sMakeADeal...

27 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

So basically, the Thunder gain a backup player, while cutting Melo's contract, & only cost about $6 million more per year than stretching Melo over 3 years with nothing..? Not bad...

Two.   TLC should be able to give them some mins too.   Its a best case scenario deal for OKC honestly.  

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Two.   TLC should be able to give them some mins too.   Its a best case scenario deal for OKC honestly.  

Yeah, I'm taking shots, but even I can acknowledge that getting anyone to trade for Melo--so you're not paying $27M over the next three seasons for air--is a damn miracle. Of course they have to take back some bad contracts in return.