2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

On 7/4/2018 at 8:11 AM, d2o said:

Reporting it like this is somewhat irresponsible to me.  Borderline tabloid journalism.   Prolly sowing seeds for the next CBA byt the owners.    By the time its time to pay the tax there is almost zero chance they will be carrying that much salary.    Melo will be gone and I wouldnt be surprised if they make another deal to shed a little more salary.

^^^^

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Get ready...... there or Houston.

Can’t imagine Morey taking a flyer on him in2018 - he loves his analytics and Melos advanced stats are atrocious, as if we needed further confirmation that he basically sucks at this point in his career.

He’d be a great fit with Real Madrid, or so I’m told.

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Can’t imagine Morey taking a flyer on him in2018 - he loves his analytics and Melos advanced stats are atrocious, as if we needed further confirmation that he basically sucks at this point in his career.

He’d be a great fit with Real Madrid, or so I’m told.

I would never sign him but we'll see how much pull Chris Paul has.  There's probably some thought his metrics can bounce back if put in the right position, which I think is folly.  The issue is will he accept a bench role.  That's what he is...... a bench player who comes in for 4-5 minute stretches.  If he's hot let him go.  If he's not, back to the bench....

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

not sure what to think about what melo can/can't do in 2018-19.  as a rockets fan, i'd take a flyer on him.  he certainly wouldn't be the first person to get away from westbrook and immediately improve. 

yeah, but he was trash in NY prior to Westbrook. 

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

not sure what to think about what melo can/can't do in 2018-19.  as a rockets fan, i'd take a flyer on him.  he certainly wouldn't be the first person to get away from westbrook and immediately improve. 

Slide into Ariza's spot?  The issue is he was already in declination for the last 2-3 years..... Being in OKC could have exacerbated the situation, but he's not a star player anymore.  Can he be realistic with himself and realize this?  I think that's the biggest issue.  If he could come to terms with his new paradigm, of bench supporting cast player, then I think he could benefit a team.  Be Jamal Crawford from 3-4 years ago, except better.....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Slide into Ariza's spot?  The issue is he was already in declination for the last 2-3 years..... Being in OKC could have exacerbated the situation, but he's not a star player anymore.  Can he be realistic with himself and realize this?  I think that's the biggest issue.  If he could come to terms with his new paradigm, of bench supporting cast player, then I think he could benefit a team.  Be Jamal Crawford from 3-4 years ago, except better.....

ideally, mbah a moute would slide into ariza's spot and melo would come in with gordon as 6th men, but you might have to let melo be a ceremonial starter and play he and luc almost as co-starters in terms of minutes.  it would really only truly matter against 3-4 teams in the league anyway and it's not like the rockets don't have an open spot at the 3.

Houston system fits Carmelo better if he will accept the corner three guy. As a lead of a system he blows and okc doesn’t have a system. It’s Westbrook dribble around and force a shot or kick out for a bad three point attempt.

not saying I want him but if he accepts that role of corner three guy he is worth the risk. What other options does Houston have? But I bet he goes to the lakers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CBT said:

Has Parker fallen off that much that SAS would rather have Belinelli than him? I guess they do have a glut of guards right now though.

He had started to fall off a couple of years ago and then the injury further hurt his game.  He's a guard who relies on quickness to get into the lane and finish.  Injuries had sapped a lot of that quickness.  He was never a great 3 point shooting guard although had gotten better into his early 30's but was awful the last 2 years.  He's 36 and we have a ton of PGs and/or combo guards.  There wasn't going to be a lot of minutes for him so he gets to join his boy, Nic, and will get more of a role.  Sucks to see..... hate it but he wanted 2/12 or 14 from us.  We simply can't do it for a guy who was going to be our 4th best combo guard.....

18 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

what? no. Capela >>>> Wiggins. Capela is elite defensively, great on the glass, shoots a very high percentage, and has steadily improved every single year. people keep talking about him as if we're totally unsure if he's actually good or not. he's very good- top 20-25 player in the league, and he can certainly be the third best player on a championship team. he's 23 years old and coming off a season where he went for 14/11/2 and led the league in fg%. he's nothing like Wiggins who is a one dimensional player who's not even great at his one dimension.

This is where I’m at. I’m not a Rockets fan but I’m very high on Capela.  Guy is still developing and is an absolute beast on D.  His length and athleticism cause all kinds of problems that may not show up under his personal stat line. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

20 minutes ago, CBT said:

Has Parker fallen off that much that SAS would rather have Belinelli than him? I guess they do have a glut of guards right now though.

Bryn Forbes got more minutes than Parker did in the playoffs last year. 

While Forbes is more of a shooting guard you get the point. 

Parker can't even move anymore. Giving him $10 million is probably the dumbest move I've seen yet in FA and I'm a big Tony Parker fan. 

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is where I’m at. I’m not a Rockets fan but I’m very high on Capela.  Guy is still developing and is an absolute beast on D.  His length and athleticism causes all kinds of problems that may not show up under his personal stat line. 

Agree. At the rate he is improving, he might be scary good in a couple of yearw. 

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bryn Forbes got more minutes than Parker did in the playoffs last year. 

While Forbes is more of a shooting guard you get the point. 

Parker can't even move anymore. Giving him $10 million is probably the dumbest move I've seen yet in FA and I'm a big Tony Parker fan. 

bingo

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Agree. At the rate he is improving, he might be scary good in a couple of yearw. 

Most here won’t shut the fuck up about his offense.  There’s only one god damn basketball.  Everyone doesn’t need to be good at offense. The guy shutdown Gobert and KAT.  If a guy consistently shuts down max players, doesn’t he deserve close to a max deal?  He needs to add to the consistency part but I love what I’ve seen so far.  And his motor.  Fucking love it.  

45 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That contract is dumb, but when you're paying $25 million per to Nic Batum and $15 million per to Cody Zeller, that barely hits the radar. 

And the signing makes sense from the standpoint of a new coach from the Popovich/San Antonio tree trying to instill a culture. They were going to have to overpay a bit to get him out of SA. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

They just reported on ESPN Radio that the Thunder and Carmelo will part ways this summer whether it be trade, buy-out or otherwise.

I would like to see the Thunder go after one of either Jimmy Butler or Karl Towns from Minny...