2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm talking about it all, and in particular the end result being dominant teams in the NBA. It's not really elucidating to say that this kind of thing didn't happen in free agency in the 1980s considering free agency wasn't a thing.

I really think many don't know that true free agency didn't start in the NBA until 1988

https://www.nba.com/suns/history/impact-tom-chambers-and-unrestricted-free-agency

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But do you think many -- if any -- of those guys would've taken the Durant approach if they could have? My NBA-watching goes back to the early 80's. Very few of the all-time greats failed to win at least one title. The Pistons had to figure out a way to dethrone the Celtics, the Bulls had to figure out a way to beat the Pistons, the rest of the league had to figure out how to beat the Bulls and so on and so forth.

What Durant did was unprecedented. After blowing a 3-1 lead in the WCF, rather than figure out how they can close the Warriors out next time he decides to join them as a FA.

Yep, I sure do.   Isiah worked to get their other best fried Mark Aguirre traded to the Pistons when they really didnt need him.   As I stated in my last post FA was VERY restricted back then so guys couldn't freely go to the team that they wanted but yes, I absolutely believe that there would be plenty of joining up if it was possible back then.

FTR I hate what KD did mainly cause he went to the team that just beat him.  

54 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Maybe I'm late to the game on this but I was reading something about Boogie's injury being worse than most fans think.  (The point was that all the NBA people realize it and that's why there was very tepid interest.)  Supposedly, he won't come back until maybe February and the history of NBA players coming back from an achilles tear is abysmal.  

If that's the case, let's pump the brakes and props to New Orleans for getting out of that and into a younger player at the same position.

He says he's going to be ready for training camp in September, and has posted videos of himself working out and running.

15 minutes ago, d2o said:

Those guys were all boys too.    They just never reached free agency to do anything about it back then. 

c24022725b4b76c07036fe27e640aa64.jpg

Uh, saying "those old cats were all friends" and then including a photo of Zeke does not add up.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But do you think many -- if any -- of those guys would've taken the Durant approach if they could have? My NBA-watching goes back to the early 80's. Very few of the all-time greats failed to win at least one title. The Pistons had to figure out a way to dethrone the Celtics, the Bulls had to figure out a way to beat the Pistons, the rest of the league had to figure out how to beat the Bulls and so on and so forth.

What Durant did was unprecedented. After blowing a 3-1 lead in the WCF, rather than figure out how they can close the Warriors out next time he decides to join them as a FA.

The way that those teams "figured it out" was by waiting until the previous dynasty got too old or started imploding from the inside.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

I really think many don't know that true free agency didn't start in the NBA until 1988

https://www.nba.com/suns/history/impact-tom-chambers-and-unrestricted-free-agency

I was talking about the 1992-1999 era before and that there was at least an appearance of competitiveness to the Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, Utah, Indiana, NYK, Miami, and Orlando fan bases. 

Statistics exist for a reason. If one of the two best teams wins the championship 90+% of the time, no shit I’m not surprised that it happened that a #1 seed won in 17 out of 19 years or whatever you offered up earlier. But damn if there weren’t a lot of great series with the ultimate outcome being played out in high drama. Short of an injury to Curry or KD, their championship this past year and this coming year seems like a 99.9% certainty. 

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Say what you will, actually seeing it happen can do wonders for perception.  We're going on half a decade now where unless you are the #1 seed in the West or have Lebron on your team, you have no shot.  

Good thing Golden State broke that troubling trend this year.

• Like 1

Some of you guys try and act like those teams back in the day stayed together largely unchanged for yrs cause they loved each other just wanted to work together to get over the hump.    That just isn't true.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I was talking about the 1992-1999 era before and that there was at least an appearance of competitiveness to the Houston, Phoenix, Seattle, Utah, Indiana, NYK, Miami, and Orlando fan bases. 

Statistics exist for a reason. If one of the two best teams wins the championship 90+% of the time, no shit I’m not surprised that it happened that a #1 seed won in 17 out of 19 years or whatever you offered up earlier. But damn if there weren’t a lot of great series with the ultimate outcome being played out in high drama. Short of an injury to Curry or KD, their championship this past year and this coming year seems like a 99.9% certainty. 

You're contradicting yourself.   Or do you just want an illusion of parity?   Cause that is all it was back then too.  

Edited by d2o

Just now, aggie08 said:

THAT deal, if it went down, should have caused riots.  Boogie, I think, will end up being much ado about nothing.

I dont know about much ado about nothing but I dont think it's the death knell to the rest of the league that many others see here in July.    The Warriors were the heavy favorite last week as they are this week.    Boogie doesn't make a difference either way in that.    Further even if he is full strength when he returns, the way that GSW plays doesn't really lend itself to him being a huge difference maker and I don't see them making a huge change in philosophy to make him one.

26 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

But no word yet on where @NickSwagyPYoung is heading?

Jesus Christ, David, just write their damn names.

I truly hate the use of twitter handles in shit like this.  I thought I was just an old fuck.   Well I am but still...........

Edited by d2o

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

So Houston fans didn't think they had a chance a couple of months ago? There have been two seasons of ERMAGERD UNBEATABLE WARRIORS and in one of them they were less than 50% to get to the Finals until Chris Paul got hurt.

Since Durant went to the Warriors, that's the only series that has gone beyond 5 games. Bulls during their runs had multiple series where they lost multiple games, particularly against the Knicks. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I like this move for PHI.   Makes up for the loss of Illyasova and Bellinelli and they gave up nothing to get him.    In fact they got a pick to take him.    They can still move him again if something better comes along

Hoping to cash in next year when more teams have money of course there will also be more free agents next year.  All these guys in their 30's passing up a lot more guaranteed money for an extra few million next season isn't the best long term decision for them you have to think.

Edited by kevwun

1 minute ago, joeycovers said:

WTF is up with all these 1 years deals? I don't recall it ever being like this. As i have said before. NBA is turning into College. 

teams dont have money.  Players aren't signing multi-yr deals without getting some real money.      This will be the new norm for a while.   If you are not a superstar or your team thinks you are a very key piece, you will be going yr to yr.

1 minute ago, joeycovers said:

WTF is up with all these 1 years deals? I don't recall it ever being like this. As i have said before. NBA is turning into College. 

Blame the GMs for having literally zero can room for free agents. A lot of these players would love to lock themselves in for longer...just not for the bargains they're having up sign for. The cap is supposed to go up next year, and more teams are clearing out space, so everyone is positioning for then.

I am glad that--based on the contacts that LeBron and George signed--one-year deals for upper echelon players aren't going to be the new norm. That would have sucked.

LBJ's Cleveland contracts really do just look like him flipping the bird to Gilbert in retrospect.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Hoping to cash in next year when more teams have money of course there will also be more free agents next year, so these guys in their 30's passing up a lot more guaranteed money for an extra few million next season isn't the best long term decision for them.

This is part of it..... but those silly contracts teams gave out when the cap jumped several years ago start coming off books next summer.  Now the summer of 2020 will be when almost all of them expire, but not only a decent cap jump (rumored around 7.5 million) but more bad contracts come off the books putting more money in the system.....

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Say what you will, actually seeing it happen can do wonders for perception.  We're going on half a decade now where unless you are the #1 seed in the West or have Lebron on your team, you have no shot.  

Warriors were #2 seed last year

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is part of it..... but those silly contracts teams gave out when the cap jumped several years ago start coming off books next summer.  Now the summer of 2020 will be when almost all of them expire, but not only a decent cap jump (rumored around 7.5 million) but more bad contracts come off the books putting more money in the system.....

So 2020 gonna be Wild Wild West. Got it

13 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

As i have said before. NBA is turning into College. 

I really have no problem with the player movement as long as the product is good, and the Western Conference playoffs were awesome this year. And my team didn't even sniff the 8-seed.

3 hours ago, d2o said:

I dont know about much ado about nothing but I dont think it's the death knell to the rest of the league that many others see here in July.    The Warriors were the heavy favorite last week as they are this week.    Boogie doesn't make a difference either way in that.    Further even if he is full strength when he returns, the way that GSW plays doesn't really lend itself to him being a huge difference maker and I don't see them making a huge change in philosophy to make him one.

Agree with first part, totally disagree with the last part. Any team would benefit tremendously from a player that gives you rim-protecting, rebounding and scoring on that kind of level, regardless of system. If Boogie comes back at full strength and stays healthy, he will have a massive effect on Golden State. Their one real weakness is lacking a premier big man, that's why Anthony Davis was eating their lunch in the paint in their playoff series. 

I bet the Warriors aren't the 1 seed next year either. They're entirely too cocky.

Even in the playoffs they would fuck around for a half before deciding to wake up in the 3rd quarter. I don't think we even saw close to the best version of the Warriors last year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
22 minutes ago, joeycovers said:
Warriors were #2 seed last year

Only on paper. Everyone knew who the true 1 seed was in terms of talent. Same as when the Cavs were the 2 seed in 2017.

Who cares...My statement is still fact and yours is opinion. 

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Speaking of bad contracts...... He did improve and Utah has poured in time and effort into that development, so guess they'll pay to see if he continues his growth.

That kid must be way better than I thought. Or maybe the fine print calls for the dollars to be Australian. 

5 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Agree with first part, totally disagree with the last part. Any team would benefit tremendously from a player that gives you rim-protecting, rebounding and scoring on that kind of level, regardless of system. If Boogie comes back at full strength and stays healthy, he will have a massive effect on Golden State. Their one real weakness is lacking a premier big man, that's why Anthony Davis was eating their lunch in the paint in their playoff series. 

He was? He had two great games, and the other 3 he was largely held in check (as much as you can hold AD in check). And the Warriors out-rebounded New Orleans for the series.

Also, I can promise you that Draymond will have (and did have) better luck guarding AD than Boogie would.

From a basketball perspective, Boogie's appeal to Golden State is that, in a battle against a great switching defense like Houston, if the offense bogs down like it did in the WCF (Cousins loves to hold the ball himself, so he might also be the reason for the bogging), they can dump the ball to Boogie, and have him dominate the switch, either through scoring or passing when the inevitable double comes. BUT, his presence on the court makes it virtually impossible for the Warriors to switch everything when they're on defense themselves, so there's a con for almost every pro. He well-earned his reputation as the league's laziest defender this side of Carmelo Anthony, and that was before injury.

In a stable locker room, completely healthy, out for vindication to prove the teams who wouldn't pay him what he thinks he's worth wrong, his effort could be consistent and focused. I'm just not holding my breath.