2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Tommy BeerVerified account @TommyBeer

In 2016, the following players signed deals for > $50 million in guaranteed salary: Timofey Mozgov, Evan Turner, Joakim Noah, Bismack Biyombo, Chandler Parsons, Kent Bazemore, Ryan Anderson, Marvin Williams, Jordan Clarkson, Allen Crabbe, Luol Deng, Ian Mahinmi, Solomon Hill

amazing.  Those "GMs" should be banned from NBA arenas for life

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

amazing.  Those "GMs" should be banned from NBA arenas for life

Right.   This is why I don't want to hear from teams about them losing money or whining about GSW.    Poor management is why bad teams stay bad.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:53 AM, aggie08 said:

C'mon man, don't play naive. You and I both know that LeBron at least had to sign off on those deals. But they got them on the cheap, so it's well worth the risk. Playoff Rondo is a real thing. You need an irritant like Stephenson. And JaVale is going to catch some ridiculous lobs from LeBron. 

...they just also make for great fall guys.

Lol. You think Lebron signed off on Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, and Rondo? You do know the history of those guys and Lebron right? We all know Lebron has held Cleveland hostage with his contracts, but all the moves that teams make are not his decision. Also, the Lakers are going to be better than you think, and Houston is going to take a step back.

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. You think Lebron signed off on Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, and Rondo? You do know the history of those guys and Lebron right? We all know Lebron has held Cleveland hostage with his contracts, but all the moves that teams make are not his decision. Also, the Lakers are going to be better than you think, and Houston is going to take a step back.

Of course he did.   Magic isn't gonna immediately sign a bunch of guys LBJ doesn't wanna play with after getting a commitment from LBJ to sign.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

So, if I have this correct, you're of the opinion that the Lakers, after LeBron showed enough trust in them to sign a maximum length contract, immediately broke that trust by going on a spending spree of guys that LeBron wouldn't have signed off on?

What color is the sky in your world?

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

So, if I have this correct, you're of the opinion that the Lakers, after LeBron showed enough trust in them to sign a maximum length contract, immediately broke that trust by going on a spending spree of guys that LeBron wouldn't have signed off on?

What color is the sky in your world?

He hasnt even signed yet.    It would turn the world upside down for a bit but if that was the case he could easily change his mind and sign elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, d2o said:

Right.   This is why I don't want to hear from teams about them losing money or whining about GSW.    Poor management is why bad teams stay bad.

Agreed... Look at Sacramento over the years since Webber left, it's been like 15 years the franchise hasn't made the 2nd round of the playoffs in that time (I don't think)...

52 minutes ago, d2o said:

To be fair, had KD not signed with the Warriors, Golden State very likely uses the salary cap spike to grossly overpay one of the available bigs after getting pushed around by Adams in the WCF and having to rely on Festus Ezeli and Anderson Varejao in Game 7 of the Finals.  Then, they absolutely would have matched Dallas's $94M offer to Barnes.  That's a team that's still in contention for title for a few more seasons, but one that's in luxury cap hell with at least two players who don't deserve near their salaries.  Sometimes luck plays a roll.

That said, I simply cannot fathom the incompetence needed to put these words together: "I'm glad that we're paying Bismack Biyombo $72M.  This is almost certainly going to be money well spent."

Just now, aggie08 said:

To be fair, had KD not signed with the Warriors, Golden State very likely uses the salary cap spike to grossly overpay one of the available bigs after getting pushed around by Adams in the WCF and having to rely on Festus Ezeli and Anderson Varejao in Game 7 of the Finals.  Then, they absolutely would have matched Dallas's $94M offer to Barnes.  That's a team that's still in contention for title for a few more seasons, but one that's in luxury cap hell with at least two players who don't deserve near their salaries.  Sometimes luck plays a roll.

That said, I simply cannot fathom the incompetence needed to put these words together: "I'm glad that we're paying Bismack Biyombo $72M.  This is almost certainly going to be money well spent."

As an ORL fan/resident, you cut me deep brah.    Keep in mind this was a day or two after trading for the same guy in Ibaka.

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

He hasnt even signed yet.    It would turn the world upside down for a bit but if that was the case he could easily change his mind and sign elsewhere.

I did not realize that!  Then, yeah, the idea that every decision that the Lakers make isn't being run through LeBron's camp is even more absurd.

Me categorizing Rondo, KCP, JaVale, and Stephenson as "fall guys" was a bit harsh though.  Obviously, LeBron's #1 priority is winning a title in LA.  But, if he can't have that (which he won't this season), I do think that he gets off on the "LeBron is carrying these 'bums' single-handedly; it's amazing they even got this far" narrative just a little bit.  I'm basing this purely on 10+ years of postgame comments reminding everyone how much that he has to do--and does do--for his team.  I think he wants another MVP pretty badly, and if the Lakers are a 3 or 4 seed as currently constructed, that'll make a nice story line.

I did not realize that!  Then, yeah, the idea that every decision that the Lakers make isn't being run through LeBron's camp is even more absurd.

Me categorizing Rondo, KCP, JaVale, and Stephenson as "fall guys" was a bit harsh though.  Obviously, LeBron's #1 priority is winning a title in LA.  But, if he can't have that (which he won't this season), I do think that he gets off on the "LeBron is carrying these 'bums' single-handedly; it's amazing they even got this far" narrative just a little bit.  I'm basing this purely on 10+ years of postgame comments reminding everyone how much that he has to do--and does do--for his team.  I think he wants another MVP pretty badly, and if the Lakers are a 3 or 4 seed as currently constructed, that'll make a nice story line.

Deals cannot be officially signed until tomorrow.

Here's some pretty interesting insight into the Lakers odd-ball transactions:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24003187/lakers-signings-part-magic-plan-nba

Basically, Magic/Pelinka/James' plan is to surround LeBron with defensively versatile playmakers, rather than the one-dimensional shooters he's often had elsewhere, to lessen his ball-handling burden.  And they want to play fast; something that LeBron's teams rarely do, but he's been very effective at when they do.

Edited by aggie08

Yep, just read that. Honestly I give a lot of credit to James for signing up for a complete change in team construction and strategy late in his career. He saw that something needs to change in the way his teams play, Johnson pitched him on a new approach, and he took the leap. Yeah, obviously the fact it's the Lakers had a lot to do with it, but he could have easily insisted that the Lakers build a team the same way the Cavs had.

Bron, as everyone else, knows only GS is winning it over the next 2 years, which is his window. So he's done with the title chase, wants to live in SoCal - get paid and have a happy family life while he transitions into Hollywood to be the next Shaq.  His death glare to JR Smith at game 1 meant he knew it was all over for trophy chasing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Bron, as everyone else, knows only GS is winning it over the next 2 years, which is his window. So he's done with the title chase, wants to live in SoCal - get paid and have a happy family life while he transitions into Hollywood to be the next Shaq.  His death glare to JR Smith at game 1 meant he knew it was all over for trophy chasing. 

Spot on. He is realistic. He knows no one is touching GSW the next few years no matter which moves a team makes. They are just that much better than everyone else. He has built his brand to be one of the best to ever do it in this game. He has the rings. He brought Cleveland its first championship in half a century or more. Which he said he was going to do. He is on the flip side of his prime and now its a family decision rather than a basketball decision. The Lakers made the most sense from a lifestyle decision. He wants to expand his brand to the Hollywood sector and what better team than the biggest Hollywood team out there.

1 minute ago, Orca of Peace said:

so will GS have to decide between Klay and KD next year? Doesn't KD have a 1 + 1 now? Can they afford both? Is KD angling for huge money after the 2019 Finals and will he bolt if he can't get top $? Would be kind of strange to see KD vs. GS , but who could afford him?

There is no decision.  You let Klay leave, or optimally S&T him.  Someone (like my mavs) will be dumb enough to give him a max.  Not that he couldn't be worth it, I just don't think more than 5 people in the league should have a max.

2 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

so will GS have to decide between Klay and KD next year? Doesn't KD have a 1 + 1 now? Can they afford both? Is KD angling for huge money after the 2019 Finals and will he bolt if he can't get top $? Would be kind of strange to see KD vs. GS , but who could afford him?

KD has his rings now. Like Lebron did when he went to Miami. I can easily see him going somewhere else. It would be cool to see him go back to his original team like Lebron did to the Cavs. When is the earliest the Thunder could afford him back? 

11 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

They may have to decide.   They will have Bird rights on KD after next season so they can sign him to the full supermax.   It just depends on if they wanna pay what will be a huge lux tax bill to keep the band together.

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

KD has his rings now. Like Lebron did when he went to Miami. I can easily see him going somewhere else. It would be cool to see him go back to his original team like Lebron did to the Cavs. When is the earliest the Thunder could afford him back? 

The yr 2230

If that be the case, then anyone who is like me and questions the validity the NBA, has every right to question the NBA and call it a weak ass soap opera. Your biggest star just signed to play for the biggest name.franchise in the sport... to take it easy and transition into Hollywood? Lol. I dont believe that is the case, despite what the Lakers currently have and what GS has.

3 minutes ago, Dewey said:
56 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

If that be the case, then anyone who is like me and questions the validity the NBA, has every right to question the NBA and call it a weak ass soap opera. Your biggest star just signed to play for the biggest name.franchise in the sport... to take it easy and transition into Hollywood? Lol. I dont believe that is the case, despite what the Lakers currently have and what GS has.

I think its the case. Does he still want to win? Sure. Is he going to try and force it like he did in the past? Nope. Most thought he would only go to LA if they had Kawhi first. But he went there on his own without another superstar.

He is in a worst situation talent wise right now than he was in Cleveland. And in a much harder conference.

This was a lifestyle and family decision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dewey said:
59 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Yeah, I dont believe that LBJ is planning to go easily into the night.   I think he has every intent on trying to win in LA.    Every susperstar that has gone there has got at least one.    I don't see him going there and not thinking that the plan is to win.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think its the case. Does he still want to win? Sure. Is he going to try and force it like he did in the past? Nope. Most thought he would only go to LA if they had Kawhi first. But he went there on his own without another superstar.

He is in a worst situation talent wise right now than he was in Cleveland. And in a much harder conference.

This was a lifestyle and family decision.

Disagree whole heartedly with this.    Not to mention the Lakers are in a FAR better situation cap-wise and are actually a FA draw unlike CLE.

Yeah, I can't imagine that LeBron has any desire to be the only All-Time great to play for the Lakers and NOT win a title.*  That's pretty much the only barometer for success is LA.

This year is going to be mostly experimental (even if they do land Kawhi), but they'll be a force going forward so long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.  If they wait for Kawhi, Ball can get his percentages up to the 44%/35% range, and Ingram takes a leap, that's a damn good team in 2019, without factoring in all the possible additions that are going to be available next offseason.

*unless we're counting Karl Malone and Gary Payton, and I'm not counting Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

Edited by aggie08

Yeah, I can't imagine that LeBron has any desire to be the only All-Time great to play for the Lakers and NOT win a title.*

This year is going to be mostly experimental (even if they do land Kawhi), but they'll be a force going forward so long as his play doesn't fall off a cliff.  If they wait for Kawhi, Ball can get his percentages up to the 44%/35% range, and Ingram takes a leap, that's a damn good team in 2019, without factoring in all the possible additions that are going to be available next offseason.

*unless we're counting Karl Malone and Gary Payton, and I'm not counting Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

No one does or should.   Hell they probably dont even acknowledge ever playing for the Lakers.   Even if shown footage

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Here's some pretty interesting insight into the Lakers odd-ball transactions:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24003187/lakers-signings-part-magic-plan-nba

Basically, Magic/Pelinka/James' plan is to surround LeBron with defensively versatile playmakers, rather than the one-dimensional shooters he's often had elsewhere, to lessen his ball-handling burden.  And they want to play fast; something that LeBron's teams rarely do, but he's been very effective at when they do.

Absolutely get the Lakers trying to get another initiator on offense.  Part of the issue once Kyrie left was no one else could engineer or generate mismatches to create offense when Lebron was off the floor.  And having Lebron on the team means you don't run an open sharing system because he's so ball dominant when on the court.  The Lakers are pretty much looking at his Heat days and trying to replicate that a little.  The issue is they already play at a fast pace.  Lakers were top 3 in the league in pace last year so they run a ton already.  The Lakers were bottom 3 in 3PT% last year so they're adding poor shooters in Rondo and Lance to a team who already struggled from distance.  Lebron will help their percentages and maybe Ball and Ingram can continue to improve their shooting, but they'll have to be ultra efficient within the arc and ball their asses off on defense to challenge anyone of consequence.  It's also a little strange they talk about playing more with pace but want Lebron to play more post (which I think is a good idea).

The article concedes they need more shooting.... yea, ya think?  But the league has changed from where it was even 6-7 years ago..... You need guys who can shoot AND put the ball on the floor.  It's an odd configuration.  Put Lebron, maybe your best shooter (isn't that weird?) and surround him with Lance, KCP, Ingram and/or Rondo/Ball.  You also have a lot of inefficient dudes on the perimeter now in Lance, KCP, Ingram, Kuzma, etc.  Some of those guys will definitely need to take a step forward and probably will because of their youth, but Lance and Rondo won't, they're finished products.....

1 hour ago, Orca of Peace said:

This is certainly the hope from every other team in the league but Klay has consistently said he loves it in the Bay and has no plans to play anywhere else..... KD may be the one to consider leaving at some point but if they win another championship, no one from their core (except for Iggy) is leaving without injury.  They'd have the chance to go for 4peat, something not done in over 50 years.  Maybe 2020.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine that LeBron has any desire to be the only All-Time great to play for the Lakers and NOT win a title.*  That's pretty much the only barometer for success is LA.

I'd get to Elgin Baylor well before Malone or Payton 😉