2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

41 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I would like to see the Thunder go after one of either Jimmy Butler or Karl Towns from Minny...

With what?  Paul George?

36 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Would this work for Los Angeles..?

I think in this case, maybe Lonzo is traded as one of the pieces for Kawhi...

Howard has already been attached to the Wizards.  Looks like a couple of folks already clarified.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Melo is a shot fighter who can still score when he needs to but to expect him to play major minutes for an entire season and the playoffs is a stretch to say the least.  He's 35 years and never exactly been into fitness.

All that's fine but he still thinks he's a star.

9 minutes ago, Simon Honeybone said:

Still don't know why Playoff P signed up to be a part of that OKC garbage heap.

OKC has a good core with Westbrook, George, and Adams.  They''re not a contender this season but maybe the thinking is that GS breaks apart after this seasons and the smart move is to build a contender 2-4 years out.  Lakers seem to be doing this as well.  Westbrook will be 30 this year and George is 28 and Adams is only 24.  Russ is rolling up on being "middle aged" for a guard but he's crazy athletic so to it's reasonable that he has 4-5 "prime" years left and PG and Adams are both good, youngish players.  

Their struggle is finding good role players.  Presti loves shooting guards who can't shoot and to add on to that, he signed Nerlens Noel.  Offense will always be a struggle with OKC as long as Presti goes after the lanky, versatile defenders who can't score.

34 minutes ago, CBT said:

This is interesting to me. I firmly believe the Kyle Anderson is only an NBA player in the context of the Spurs system. He can be effective as the least athletic guy on the court as long as the team concept is sound. Otherwise he can't guard anyone one on one and is not going to do much offensively as either a creator or catch and shoot guy. I look forward to seeing if I'm wrong.

8 minutes ago, Llogg said:

This is interesting to me. I firmly believe the Kyle Anderson is only an NBA player in the context of the Spurs system. He can be effective as the least athletic guy on the court as long as the team concept is sound. Otherwise he can't guard anyone one on one and is not going to do much offensively as either a creator or catch and shoot guy. I look forward to seeing if I'm wrong.

Seems like A LOT for that guy

47 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Because Memphis is known as an organization who makes great decisions. 😉

23 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

man, i go out for a nice evening with the lady friend and all of a sudden restricted free agency heats up.  interesting that capela and smart (the 2 best RFA's) were not among the guys signing offer sheets however...

I would imagine both of them would prefer to stay with their current teams, rather than join the Kings, Bulls, Hawks or Mavs.  That's pretty much everyone with cap space to sign RFAs at this point, and it appears the Bulls are about to spend all theirs on Lavine.  A lot of times these guys will have their agents poll a few teams on interest and dollars, and get an idea of what they could get out there, then take it back to their current team as a negotiation tool. Works out for both if the player wants to stay, just kind of sucks when the player truly wants to leave, and the original team matches. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-cavaliers-looking-unload-love-174811019--spt.html

Report: Cavaliers looking to unload Love

Kevin Love was not on the trade block and preferred to finish his career with the Cleveland Cavaliers and LeBron James just one week ago.

James' decision to bolt Cleveland and join the Los Angeles Lakers is opening all options for the Cavaliers.

According to Jason Lloyd of The Athletic, Love is squarely on the trade block in Cleveland and one of the targeted destinations is Los Angeles, where he would reunite with James.

Love played one season at UCLA and trains in the area in the offseason.

The Cavaliers intended to keep Love as a building block regardless of James' decision, but are interested in gauging the market now that the Lakers secured James with a four-year deal.

NBA insider Chris Sheridan reported the Portland Trail Blazers would also be a trade target of the Cavaliers.

Love has two seasons remaining on his deal with the Cavaliers and is owed around $49.7 million. The second year is a player option.

13 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't think Love fits well with Lebron. He was turned into a spot up shooter and that isn't who he was in Minnesota. He was delegated to a useless player in Cleveland. Not a bad player but he made minimal impact. When he was missing, they actually seemed to play better. And you didn't even notice he was missing.