2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Paid..... Wow.  That's a lot of cheddar.

That's a really stupid contract for the Suns to sign, especially a year early. We saw this kind of thing with Wiggins last year, there's no reason to sign a player on a rookie deal a year earlier than you have to. Their production could fall, they could get injured, you don't know. It's not worth it to bet on them becoming an all star. 

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

That's a really stupid contract for the Suns to sign, especially a year early. We saw this kind of thing with Wiggins last year, there's no reason to sign a player on a rookie deal a year earlier than you have to. Their production could fall, they could get injured, you don't know. It's not worth it to bet on them becoming an all star. 

Booker is pretty damn good while Wiggins kind of sucks.  And unlike Wiggins, Booker has improved every year he's been in the league so his career trajectory is on a nice path - it's a good bet by Phoenix.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bookede01.html

Edited by Message Board User

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Can someone explain this as it's something I've always wanted clarity on. 76er's get a pick and can just waive chandler? Denver gets to clear cap room for this year? And onward. 76er's get the pick and don't use cap because they can buy him out? Yes I know this is assuming he will be cut. If he's not then it's a normal trade. My questions are around deals that are based on waiving contracts and how they work.

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

The Rockets have shown... you have to get and pay a guy if you want to get other guys... 

Difference is Harden was much more established, had been in the playoffs, was crazy efficient, and had elite metrics.  Booker's signing is still about potential..... Dude can score and that's about it and he doesn't do it very efficiently.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's a move that a GM makes when he thinks he might be out the door in a year or two.  

9 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Can someone explain this as it's something I've always wanted clarity on. 76er's get a pick and can just waive chandler? Denver gets to clear cap room for this year? And onward. 76er's get the pick and don't use cap because they can buy him out? Yes I know this is assuming he will be cut. If he's not then it's a normal trade. My questions are around deals that are based on waiving contracts and how they work.

Sixers won't waive Chandler, he'll go into their rotation off the bench and he counts against their cap.  Even if they waived him he would count vs their cap.  But yes, this is a salary dump.  The Sixers have to send something so they'll send one of their shittiest assets.  Maybe a Euro being stashed who didn't work out or maybe right to a protected pick with no chance of conveying, etc, etc.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Looney, Looney, Looney.....

I mean, I guess he earned it. But the biggest flaw with the roster--one that almost cost them a championship--was too many redundant, limited players who only play center in their system and not enough wing depth. 

They let JaVale walk, but then use their only non-minimum salary available on a center who could very likely be a shell of his former self and won't even play 2/3 of the season, and re-sign Looney. My guess is they keep another vet true center like ZaZa on board to keep Cousins' starting spot warm for him until he's ready. And West is super popular in the locker room, and still provided value in the regular season on their 2nd unit, so he'll be hard to part with. So they're really going to roll with 6 centers again? 

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I mean, I guess he earned it. But the biggest flaw with the roster--one that almost cost them a championship--was too many redundant, limited players who only play center in their system and not enough wing depth. 

They let JaVale walk, but then use their only non-minimum salary available on a center who could very likely be a shell of his former self and won't even play 2/3 of the season, and re-sign Looney. My guess is they keep another vet true center like ZaZa on board to keep Cousins' starting spot warm for him until he's ready. And West is super popular in the locker room, and still provided value in the regular season on their 2nd unit, so he'll be hard to part with. So they're really going to roll with 6 centers again? 

I agree but I'm assuming the Warriors think the risk is worth it for Boogie.  The good news (don't the Warriors always get lucky from a business perspective) is because money is tight, there will rotational level wings available and probably at the minimum.  Warriors need 1 and probably 2 of these guys who want to ring chase to really put their foots on the league's throat.  You can always bring back Swaggy!!!!  But guys like Ellington (probably too costly), Brewer, what happened to the Jamal Crawford rumor?  I read you do have 12 guys under contract.  You may need to let go of someone like a David West......

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I'm SHOCKED and AWED that Thibs wasn't able to bring stability to the T-Wolves franchise.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/3/17532364/jimmy-butler-minnesota-timberwolves-los-angeles-lakers-trade

Jimmy Butler, the (self-proclaimed) best domino player in the world, might be the next domino to fall in the 2018 NBA offseason. Butler reportedly “has no intentions” of signing an extension with the Timberwolves because he feels his younger teammates (cough, Karl-Anthony Towns, cough) don’t share his desire to compete for championships, according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times. For the teams wandering the San Antonio desert in hopes of winning the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes, Butler has materialized as a plan B on the horizon.

Butler isn’t the only Timberwolf who has reportedly grumbled about his situation over the past few months. Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis said on ESPN 1500 Radio in March that Andrew Wiggins was unhappy with being the third banana behind Butler and Towns. (Perhaps that’s because Towns shot nearly as well from 3-point range as Wiggins did from the floor.) Wiggins signed a five-year, $146.5 million extension in October, Towns is still in the best-unicorn conversation, and Butler can opt out of his deal after this season. Minnesota is a big place, but if it isn’t big enough for all three of them, the 28-year-old Butler seems like the clear odd man out—except to maybe Tom Thibodeau, who values his old Bulls players above all.

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'm SHOCKED and AWED that Thibs wasn't able to bring stability to the T-Wolves franchise.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/3/17532364/jimmy-butler-minnesota-timberwolves-los-angeles-lakers-trade

Jimmy Butler, the (self-proclaimed) best domino player in the world, might be the next domino to fall in the 2018 NBA offseason. Butler reportedly “has no intentions” of signing an extension with the Timberwolves because he feels his younger teammates (cough, Karl-Anthony Towns, cough) don’t share his desire to compete for championships, according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times. For the teams wandering the San Antonio desert in hopes of winning the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes, Butler has materialized as a plan B on the horizon.

Butler isn’t the only Timberwolf who has reportedly grumbled about his situation over the past few months. Darren Wolfson of KSTP in Minneapolis said on ESPN 1500 Radio in March that Andrew Wiggins was unhappy with being the third banana behind Butler and Towns. (Perhaps that’s because Towns shot nearly as well from 3-point range as Wiggins did from the floor.) Wiggins signed a five-year, $146.5 million extension in October, Towns is still in the best-unicorn conversation, and Butler can opt out of his deal after this season. Minnesota is a big place, but if it isn’t big enough for all three of them, the 28-year-old Butler seems like the clear odd man out—except to maybe Tom Thibodeau, who values his old Bulls players above all.

The Spurs and TWolves should work out a disgruntled trade..... Kawhi for Butler and a couple of firsts?  That's a joke, errbody....

30 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Jeff Green only $2.5m? something very wrong when shit players are making 4x that. 

Every time there is a cap increase in The Association, you have a cadre of franchises that spend money like drunken sailors on a weekend pass.  As the years after the increase passes, some players fall through the cracks due to their contract situation....and when it's time for renewal, there's crumbs left.

Having said that; Jeff Green, when he chooses to play, is worth 4x that amount.   Problem for Jeff Green is he chooses to play so rarely.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The Spurs and TWolves should work out a disgruntled trade..... Kawhi for Butler and a couple of firsts?  That's a joke, errbody....

Honestly, Butler is probably about as good a return the Spurs can reasonably expect in a Kawhi trade at this point, now that the Spurs have been totally and completely Kyrie'd.

15 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I'm keeping KAT over Butler 1000000000000000000000000 times out of 1000000000000000000000000 and if it means I have to fire Thibs to do so then so be it.

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So Cousins turns down a 2 year $40mill offer from the Pelicans. Lmao. But yeah, no other team wanted him at all....

During the season. You have to actively try to be this oblivious. DeMarcus fucked up and overestimated his own value, NO pulled the offer (and then jumped on Randle), and the market was barren as fuck. No other team in need of a center could reasonably afford more than $8.6M once Dallas signed DAJ.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep, the only fanbase that should be upset about this is maybe Oklahoma City. The Warriors kicked the draft's ass for Curry, Thompson, and Green. Who else has drafted three all stars (again, aside from OKC although the Thunder's picks were #2, #4, and #3 overall) like that?

Too much whining is being done about signing Durant and now Cousins. People are ignoring that the foundation for this run was the draft.

The Spurs drafted 3, then another years later.

I.T. is exactly who the Magic need. I'm actually serious.

I called this when they picked Bamba. Their guard play is horrid. They need some guards who can get buckets. If Thomas comes back at even 80% of what he was for the Celtics they will get a steal and new fan favorite.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

The thing that's changed is that these guys -- I'm talking about the very cream-of-the-crop NBA superstars -- are all buddies with each other off-the-court. There's no real rivalry between them anymore. It never would've occurred to Bill Russell to join forces with Wilt Chamberlain, or Larry Bird with Magic Johnson or later with Michael Jordan. And nobody wanted to play with Isaiah Thomas.

Everyone wants to win but no one wants to compete. They all grew up and it was drilled into their heads that the only thing that matters is a championship, without it you're nothing. Durant showed you could take the easy way out and still get the glory. This will come back to hurt the NBA because fans will stop watching teams that have no chance to compete and they'll be turned off by stars who have no loyalty and hop around the league. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The Spurs drafted 3, then another years later.

And no one said jack shit when they gamed the system, sat out their injured best player for an entire season to tank after winning 59 games the year prior, won the lottery, and lucked into one of the most ready-made NBA superstars in draft history.

Nor should they have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

The Wiggins deal looks like one of the next great albatross contracts in the NBA.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

And no one said jack shit when they gamed the system, sat out their injured best player for an entire season to tank after winning 59 games the year prior, won the lottery, and lucked into one of the most ready-made NBA superstars in draft history.

Nor should they have.

I cannot like this post enough.

I love how the holier than thou Spur fans bagged on those heathens and disgraces to the game for having the audacity to tank to try to get lucky in the draft to game their way to a superstar...when the Spurs showed the rest of the league how it's done to perfection, without which they'd probably have zero titles.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Everyone wants to win but no one wants to compete. They all grew up and it was drilled into their heads that the only thing that matters is a championship, without it you're nothing. Durant showed you could take the easy way out and still get the glory. This will come back to hurt the NBA because fans will stop watching teams that have no chance to compete and they'll be turned off by stars who have no loyalty and hop around the league. 

It never ceases to amuse me when Spurs' fans talk about loyalty. Really, the players you draft want to stay (well, most of them, it seems) with one of the winningest, well-run organizations in the history of professional sports, a franchise that rewards that loyally well into their twilight years? No wai!!

Other players get drafted by shit shows like Cleveland. Or by Seattle until a greedy owner sends them off to the meth capital of the world.

Shit, even insanely loyal, intensely competitive Tim Duncan was allegedly a Doc Rivers promise to let his family ride on the team plane away from joining the T-Mac, Grant Hill would-be super team in Disney World.

If you think yesteryear's players wouldn't have taken these opportunities for professional freedom if the avenues were available to them...

How many dozens of ex-players think that they'd be considered all-time greats too (and have a good argument) if only they were fortunate enough to play for the Lakers or Celtics?

Edited by aggie08

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know if these data are tracked, but I would be interested in seeing the percentage of "player fans" vs. "team fans" and how that's changed over time.

NBA is a much more player-centric league than it used to be. David Stern globalized the game by making it about stars. Nobody has bigger stars than the NBA. You have to look to guys like Ronaldo and Messi, worldwide stars, to find stars as big as LeBron. Sure the Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls will always have some pinache, but it's definitely a more player-driven league than any other i can think of.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

NBA is a much more player-centric league than it used to be. David Stern globalized the game by making it about stars. Nobody has bigger stars than the NBA. You have to look to guys like Ronaldo and Messi, worldwide stars, to find stars as big as LeBron. Sure the Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls will always have some pinache, but it's definitely a more player-driven league than any other i can think of.

free agency has killed the team brand to a great degree. Ironically, GS is a throwback where the core stays together for several years and wins titles ie 80s Lakers/Celts 90s Bulls.