Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I know you're really interested in dunking on me for referencing your sandy furburger, but this is just wrong. Sark has stated 10 is the ultimate goal, that is correct, but you're ignoring context.

The issue is that we are lacking elite receivers in the first rotation. Tell me, of Lee, Cain, and Alexis, which one is going to play first team in their career? Sure, they each have potential to, but if they don't reach their developmental ceiling, they'll all be recruited over in this system. Schooler is a special teams jag with one year left and doesn't really apply here. Smith can be elite, Omeire and probably Dixon can be very good to elite. 

Let's say Kennedy Lewis, Washington, and Woodard all hit the portal and Schooler graduates. If the offense recruits WRs the way we think it will, the 4th receiver in this class may very well be as good as our 4th WR on the depth chart. And that's not a stretch. 

As Fud said, numbers is not the issue, elite talent is the issue and if the 4th WR fits that description, you take him because there's not much elite in that room now. 

Can you really conclude our talent isn't elite? Or was it more of a dog shit Herman offense limited the talent and speed we have at the positions? Or was it Sam not being able to maximize them as well?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can you really conclude our talent isn't elite? Or was it more of a dog shit Herman offense limited the talent and speed we have at the positions? Or was it Sam not being able to maximize them as well?

Can you prove they ARE elite? Based on what, exactly, recruiting rankings? You can talk about how Ehlinger can't hit a deep throw or throw guys open, and you can say it's all the fault of scheme, and those are fair points. But I've seen nothing on the field to prove that any of our WRs are fucking elite. Like in any facet. And you claiming otherwise is bullshit, because regardless of the reasoning, at the end of the day, it's going to be you wish-casting and caveating your statement with some excuse as to why they're not performing like elite players. 

That, sir, is an aggy tact. At the end of the day, it's more plausible to point at actual results on the field and say "Yeah, that is not elite" than to say "Well, they WOULD be elite if _____________________." 

I supposed we will see this year then. Because it's all a guessing game. 5 star can come in and be elite or be dog shit just as a 3 star can come in and be amazing. Look at Jordan Jefferson type, 3 stars out of high school. I do think we have really good talent at the WR position currently on our roster and I firmly believe it was hindered due to Sam/coaching/scheme. 

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It depends on the back. I think Eric Gray, the Tennessee portaler, would be an upgrade from Roschon. 

I say this as a big Roschon fan. 

I struggle to see Gray coming here. He's got legitimate NLF plans, and he's likely looking for a school to go to for one year where he can be the feature back and then declare. That ain't happening at Texas.  If we get a grad transfer, it's much more likely be a JAG/depth guy.    The guy we should be interested in from Tennesse is the LB. Pairing him with Overshown would fit what Coach K looks for at ILB. 

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I supposed we will see this year then. Because it's all a guessing game. 5 star can come in and be elite or be dog shit just as a 3 star can come in and be amazing. Look at Jordan Jefferson type, 3 stars out of high school. I do think we have really good talent at the WR position currently on our roster and I firmly believe it was hindered due to Sam/coaching/scheme. 

I agree our talent was hindered, but we do not have an elite WR room.  Idk how you can even question that. Even from a recruiting rankings standpoint, we only have 4 guys who were national top 150 and one of this is Woodard who's clearly not good. If you can double that number in one class, you do it.  Guys like Smith and Whittington have potential, but they're not good WRs right now and may not develop. Smith's hands are bad and that often doesn't improve drastically from year to year. Moore is solid. Omeire will hopefully be really good, but he's also more of a large possession receiver and coming off an ACL. After that it's a bunch of maybes and JAGs.  We need elite talents like Stewart, Thompson, Winfield, etc. Those guys are on a different tier than almost everyone in our WR room currently, and there is no way Sark passes on them because he wants less guys in the WR room in an ideal roster situation.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

I took a quick look at national QB rankings and while Ewers is obviously the best option and it would suck to miss him, the upside is that 2022 is a loaded QB class and tehre are a lot of guys interested in Texas.  Ewers, Klubnick, Maalik Murphy, and Weigman are all top 150 talents, and I bet there are other guys out there Sark would have a great shot at.  There's almost no chance we don't get a blue chip QB this year even if it's not Ewers (but it will be because Sark kool aid).  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Good list. I have a few thoughts:

1) If they really start digging in and finding major traction for a great class in 2022, I assume they'll oversign and pay it forward into 2023. Of course, if ATM has locked up many of the standouts in Houston and Ewers sticks with OSU, the premise of 2022 being an amazing class might be dead wrong.

2) I don't see how Flood doesn't get to sign 5 of his guys in his first full cycle. 

This is probably the most difficult recruiting landscape Texas has had in a long time.  A&M just had their best season in a while, not that they actually accomplished anything of meaning but still. OU closed the season really strong with an improving defense and has Rattler returning as a Heisman favorite.  Bama is Bama, and tOSU has the #1 prospect in the nation, who's from Texas, committed to them. At least LSU's a mess.  I still think Sark will do very well in recruiting, but it will be more of a challenge than usual. If he can get Ewers back and land a top 5 class in this situation, we'll know recruiting is going to take off under him.

Texas won't even have its first staff recruiting meeting until next week, assuming corona has left the offices. I'm not doom and gloom on 2022, but they have a long way to go and short time to get there when it comes to landing a top 10 class for this cycle. Houston is going to be a total shitshow and it's folly to assume much traction there at all. Texas is going to have to clean up in DFW and with key talents elsewhere throughout the state. Finding guys that can kick ass from AZ, CA, and Louisiana is going to have to be key as well. 

This recruiting landscape right now is nasty, and Texas isn't just going to run roughshod over the competition. It should be a really fun and irritating cycle to watch.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: Texas reaching out to more 2022’s, Uke

Spoiler

The new Texas staff continues to reach out to 2022 prospects around the state.

Here are some IT lunchtime nuggets for desert after a healthy salad and water with lemon.

*Arlington Martin 2022 hard-hitting and instinctive linebacker Trevell Johnson was a top priority for the previous staff, and looks to be the same for the new staff.

“I’ve head from Coach (Bo) Davis a few times, and hopefully I’ll hear from the new DC in a few days,” said Johnson.

The message from Davis was that the 6-foot-0, 200-pound teammate of Morice Blackwell and 2022 DE Ernest Cooper was still a priority.

“He wanted to reach out to let me know there are in Austin, and that once they get everything going they will start back up recruiting me,”

Before the coaching change in Austin, Texas was at the top of Johnson’s list.

“I just need to build the relationships again, and see if they are my top choice.”

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11725090/Trevell-Johnson

*Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks is not on the verge of committing per a source close to the four-star prospect. LSU was trending over Texas A&M and Texas during the season according to the source. Banks has been impressed with Kyle Flood’s effort since being hired at Texas.

*Texas defensive backs coach Terry Joseph has reached out to Mansfield Timberview S Landon Hullaby since arriving in Austin. Joseph was recruiting Hullaby for Notre Dame prior to making the move to Texas.

*Texas has been in contact with Texas High DE/OLB Derrick Brown in the last two weeks. It was Oscar Giles who was in contact with the 6-foot-4, 200-pound EDGE prospect. Oklahoma is considered the favorite after offering Wednesday.

*The Texas staff has watched Euless Trinity RB Ollie Gordon, and he is on the board at the position in 2022. The new staff has yet to reach out to the 6-foot-2, 205-pounder, however. Gordon has power 5 offers from Iowa State, TCU, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Texas Tech Arkansas, Utah and Washington State.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11846811/Ollie-Gordon

*Coppell 2022 OT Alvin Ebosele will be a name to watch in the coming months. He’s grown from 6-foot-5, 240 to 6-6 and 280-285 with extremely long arms, big hands and good foot and body quickness. The raw prospect with plenty of upside is hearing from Baylor, Northwestern and Syracuse of late.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13091495/Alvin-Ebosele

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Staff talked to Kip Lewis last night per Wells. Sounds like an offer may be coming.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kip-Lewis-46094260/

Gideon also started following him today. 

Fun Twitterology: Banks' follows are numerous and nationwide - Gideon follows a lot fewer of them and focuses on Texas. 

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

LSU is about to have a lame duck transition class where they only get maybe a couple of Louisiana transplants in Texas 

Their in-state class is loaded though. We'll see how well they can defend the fort 

It's mind-blowing to think that LSU wasn't very good and isn't very good, with one outstanding Joe Burrow year sandwiched in-between.

Edited by Tex Pete

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is probably the most difficult recruiting landscape Texas has had in a long time.  A&M just had their best season in a while, not that they actually accomplished anything of meaning but still. OU closed the season really strong with an improving defense and has Rattler returning as a Heisman favorite.  Bama is Bama, and tOSU has the #1 prospect in the nation, who's from Texas, committed to them. At least LSU's a mess.  I still think Sark will do very well in recruiting, but it will be more of a challenge than usual. If he can get Ewers back and land a top 5 class in this situation, we'll know recruiting is going to take off under him.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas won't even have its first staff recruiting meeting until next week, assuming corona has left the offices. I'm not doom and gloom on 2022, but they have a long way to go and short time to get there when it comes to landing a top 10 class for this cycle. Houston is going to be a total shitshow and it's folly to assume much traction there at all. Texas is going to have to clean up in DFW and with key talents elsewhere throughout the state. Finding guys that can kick ass from AZ, CA, and Louisiana is going to have to be key as well. 

This recruiting landscape right now is nasty, and Texas isn't just going to run roughshod over the competition. It should be a really fun and irritating cycle to watch.

Is the landscape really any worse in state than it has been? We created this vacuum by putting out a shitty product led by a shitty human being, and the rest of the college football world jumped at the chance to fill it.  All of our wounds are self-inflicted.

Sure, A&M is up, but under Jimbo they've had an almost disproportionately focused hard on for out of state mercenaries. You can attribute their recent in state success greatly to Herman's bed shitting. Granted, they are off to a great start for 2022 but let's see how that holds up when football starts again. We were off to a great start last year, too. They have to replace a senior QB and oline. They've also been given the benefit of having no on campus recruiting because of Covid, so recruits haven't gotten a first hand account of what a shit hole College Station is. 

LSU looks like they're in trouble. We've underestimated the Ogre before, but that thing appears to be a mess going forward. At the very least, they don't have the momentum they did a year ago. We should have more to sell than they do right now.

I don't think OU is any better off than they were a year ago coming off of a playoff appearance. Sure the defense looks improved but it's mostly same old same old. They lost to fucking K-State last year. I put zero stock in them trashing Florida's 3rd stringers in the Cotton Bowl.

Hopefully we cut Bama off at the knees by hiring Banks, not to mention Sark and Flood. I know they are still Bama and Saban is still Saban, but I don't think the magnetism of Bill O'Brien or the charisma of Doug Marrone is going to carry the day with a bunch of 18 year olds.

Ohio State can fuck right off. Flipping Ewers back would be a shot across the bow. That really needs to happen and sooner rather than later.

• Hook 'Em 3

The worst part of the recruiting landscape in Texas currently for the past few years is Ohio State and Alabama coming in and grabbing the top players at various positions.

Put a stop to that.

Go head to head with A&M for the top talent. Win games, and we'd get benefit of doubt over them. 

Then you overtake them very easily in recruiting. Especially if we make the playoffs every other year while they don't. 

It has proven that the playoffs have funneled the talent into teams consistently  in them.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The worst part of the recruiting landscape in Texas currently for the past few years is Ohio State and Alabama coming in and grabbing the top players at various positions.

The worst part currently (i.e. '22 class) is aggy actually having their shit together for once.

The worst part for the past few years is probably tOSU/Bama poaching. 

Two different statements.

Just now, texifornia said:

The worst part currently (i.e. '22 class) is aggy actually having their shit together for once.

The worst part for the past few years is probably tOSU/Bama poaching. 

Two different statements.

Yes but the more important one to stop is the Ohio States/Bamas coming in and poaching as much top tier talent as they have. Reducing that has to be the priority. Doing so assist with the A&M issue.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is the landscape really any worse in state than it has been? We created this vacuum by putting out a shitty product led by a shitty human being, and the rest of the college football world jumped at the chance to fill it.  All of our wounds are self-inflicted.

Sure, A&M is up, but under Jimbo they've had an almost disproportionately focused hard on for out of state mercenaries. You can attribute their recent in state success greatly to Herman's bed shitting. Granted, they are off to a great start for 2022 but let's see how that holds up when football starts again. We were off to a great start last year, too. They have to replace a senior QB and oline. They've also been given the benefit of having no on campus recruiting because of Covid, so recruits haven't gotten a first hand account of what a shit hole College Station is. 

LSU looks like they're in trouble. We've underestimated the Ogre before, but that thing appears to be a mess going forward. At the very least, they don't have the momentum they did a year ago. We should have more to sell than they do right now.

I don't think OU is any better off than they were a year ago coming off of a playoff appearance. Sure the defense looks improved but it's mostly same old same old. They lost to fucking K-State last year. I put zero stock in them trashing Florida's 3rd stringers in the Cotton Bowl.

Hopefully we cut Bama off at the knees by hiring Banks, not to mention Sark and Flood. I know they are still Bama and Saban is still Saban, but I don't think the magnetism of Bill O'Brien or the charisma of Doug Marrone is going to carry the day with a bunch of 18 year olds.

Ohio State can fuck right off. Flipping Ewers back would be a shot across the bow. That really needs to happen and sooner rather than later.

Flipping Ewers back would change a lot, but starting with him having decommitted from UT already and flipped is an extremely rough position to hand Sark, and A&M is recruiting better in-state than they have in about 7 years.  Jimbo has their program in a good spot while Auburn and LSU are down.  They'll take a step back on the field this year, but it won't affect their 22 momentum much.  OU is recruiting at a higher level than they have before under Stoops or Riley, in large part because they're starting to land elite guys on the defensive side of the ball.  On top of that, Bama and tOSU are at a high point of hitting the state of Texas for talent.  I'm hopefuly Sark can stop that trend in a way A&M will never be able to, but it's not going to be easy.

So yes, this is absolutely a rough position to walk into. Not saying Sark can't turn it around, but 22 especially is already off to a very rough start for him.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes but the more important one to stop is the Ohio States/Bamas coming in and poaching as much top tier talent as they have. Reducing that has to be the priority. Doing so assist with the A&M issue.

Yeah, fundamentally disagree with this statement. If Ohio State and Bama start losing out to players staying home...to play at aTm, then we're even further behind the 8 ball than we are now. Win on the field while eroding 'Bama and Ohio State over the course of time is preferable as long as aTm isn't getting a larger edge on in-state talent. Then we're fucked if they keep improving (big if). Sure, if we suddenly get all the best motherfuckers to flip to Texas, hey, that's great, but it sure as shit isn't trending that way now and at best it looks like we're in for a dogfight.

Unless, of course, you want to throw some fucking fairy dust on it?

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

You guys are panicking when Sark has been on the job for less than two weeks? None of these recruits are going to trend our way until the new staff at least says hi to them. 

I'm sticking with my number 1 class prediction. 

Panicked != this shit is going to be really hard this year for a number of reasons

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

You guys are panicking when Sark has been on the job for less than two weeks? None of these recruits are going to trend our way until the new staff at least says hi to them. 

I'm sticking with my number 1 class prediction. 

Calling it like it is does not equate to "panicking", sorry. Texas won't finish within 5 spots of #1. We should make a bet on it.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Calling it like it is does not equate to "panicking", sorry. Texas won't finish within 5 spots of #1. We should make a bet on it.

What's the reason for your relative pessimism/realism on this front? Is Aggy just raining bags even more than usual this year?

I will say I'm a little surprised at the Aggy momentum and seeming lack of new coach bump for us so far. But it's early. We shall see. Aggy has a good chance of a major step back on the field this year too losing Mond, 4/5 OL, and a few key people from their front 7, their strength on D.

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

What's the reason for your relative pessimism/realism on this front? Is Aggy just raining bags even more than usual this year?

I will say I'm a little surprised at the Aggy momentum and seeming lack of new coach bump for us so far. But it's early. We shall see. Aggy has a good chance of a major step back on the field this year too losing Mond, 4/5 OL, and a few key people from their front 7, their strength on D.

aggy is coming off a top 5 finish while UT spent the year flaccidly fading into irrelevance while half of Herman's staff barely recruited. They have a bunch of silent commits in the bank, and the momentum that comes from those guys jumping on board.

As soon as Sark came in, a bunch of recruits re-engaged, we landed a 4-star WR and a high-major transfer at a need position. 

We're getting the new coach bump, but the landscape is rocky.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

2) LSU currently has a better class of 2022 recruits from the state of Texas than Texas does. Can that change? Yep. But as you said, we've mocked the Ogre before, and that didn't work out so well. 

This is technically correct, but LSU just lost two  a four-star commit today from Texas today, and another is shaking loose.

Edited by Machinator

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I just rambled on above this post to answer your questions, but like I said, I'm not pessimistic. I just think, as far as the recruiting board on Surly goes for all of us, we should clue in to the reality of this 2022 class. It's going to be a motherfucker, for all of the reasons I've cited. I went down a list with a friend that knows this shit today and I don't even want to post all of the horrific shit that dude was raining down on me. I've touched on some of it, but I don't want you guys to commit mass seppuku. Maybe I'll post some Holocaust photos or something and liven things up around here.

Just remember that Texas hasn't even finished assembling its staff and won't have its first true recruiting meeting until next week. ATM isn't stupid, has jumped on that in an effort to force the hands of a bunch of leans, including having the ones that play the game take positions that will obligate both sides in a MAD way, therefore cutting Texas off from key targets almost all in one fell swoop ahead of the program having a chance to even get organized. That doesn't mean anything other than the optimism for this class is free, but the hustle is going to be sold separately. Texas is in for a slog. It should be fun to watch, and like I said, it will also be irritating but I expect it to finish as a top 7-10 class due to staff quality (and a manageable schedule).

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Allen and who? I lost it in all the general news coming in hot and heavy.

Anderson hasn't happened yet, but it's coming I think 

They also lost an in-state 4* earlier this week; Shone Washington 

They had boosters trying to find a way to fire Orgeron with cause a month ago, and their roster has been nuked over the past year, although it looks like Arik Gilbert might not transfer after all. I think we see someone like Napier or Freeze take over a year from now

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I just rambled on above this post to answer your questions, but like I said, I'm not pessimistic. I just think, as far as the recruiting board on Surly goes for all of us, we should clue in to the reality of this 2022 class. It's going to be a motherfucker, for all of the reasons I've cited. I went down a list with a friend that knows this shit today and I don't even want to post all of the horrific shit that dude was raining down on me. I've touched on some of it, but I don't want you guys to commit mass seppuku. Maybe I'll post some Holocaust photos or something and liven things up around here.

Just remember that Texas hasn't even finished assembling its staff and won't have its first true recruiting meeting until next week. ATM isn't stupid, has jumped on that in an effort to force the hands of a bunch of leans, including having the ones that play the game take positions that will obligate both sides in a MAD way, therefore cutting Texas off from key targets almost all in one fell swoop ahead of the program having a chance to even get organized. That doesn't mean anything other than the optimism for this class is free, but the hustle is going to be sold separately. Texas is in for a slog. It should be fun to watch, and like I said, it will also be irritating but I expect it to finish as a top 7-10 class due to staff quality (and a manageable schedule).

How's he feeling about Ewers? 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting